Thread: NJPW The New Beginning 2016

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NJPW NJPW The New Beginning 2016

Some matches announced for the New Beginning events:

The New Beginning in Osaka (11th February):

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto for the IWGP Heavyweight Title

Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii for the NEVER title

Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson) (c) vs reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly and Bobby Fish) vs Matt Sydal and Ricochet for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Titles

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs Yano and the Briscoes (c) for the NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Titles

The New Beginning in Niigata (14th February):

Kenny Omega vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the vacant IWGP Intercontinental title

KUSHIDA (c) vs BUSHI for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title

Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson vs GBH (Tomoaki Honma and Togi Makabe) (c) for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles

Nak has vacated the IWGP intercontinental title with his final match being at Korakuen Hall as part of a six man tag: Him, Ishii, Okada vs Shibata, Tanahashi, Goto

Lots of rematches and some interesting new matches. Think Okada, Shibata will retain. Young Bucks probably will too. Dont know about Briscoes and Yano. Feel like GBH keep the belts as well as KUSHIDA.... he has to. Wouldn't be surprised if he lost though with his inconsistent booking. Omega vs Tanahashi is my pick. What a win that would be for him if he could do it.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW The New Beginning 2016

lol how out of date the poster is.

Tanahashi not having a match announced for either show yet is interesting, and as I speculated in the other thread, I'm pretty confident he's in the match with Omega and they've already had doubts about moving Omega up the card that quickly and want the title on the sure thing.

I'm all in on Okada Vs Goto after that press conference.

KUSHIDA Vs BUSHI feels like a fresh match for the Jr title but you've always got to have your doubts about the match quality with the LIJ guys.

Sydal and Ricochet staying around post WK10 is already getting me excited for BOSJ.

Status

I feel like Sydal's problem is charisma, guy just comes across as forced. His moveset is endearing though but I feel like that with all of the juniors. I think it's really easy to get into the tags due to the spotfests initially. But they quickly become a bit repetitive.

Tanahashi being champ is fine but does that mean Omega can win the NJ Cup?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I know you can have a shot at any of the three singles titles, but I'd fancy the Cup is just used to set up Okada's challengers for Invasion Attack. Omega's a decent shout though.

Status

I'd say it's the loser of Omega/Tanahashi (if it is him) in the final against Naito and I can't see Tanahashi vs Okada so soon. Interesting. Naito needs a big win before any sort of title shot though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

The triple threat tag team match should be fun, not sure about Okada/Goto. Shibata/Ishii has me worried we'll see the same thing again and these guys facing each other is just brutal and honestly, with how absolutely stiff they work, not healthy. Hope they don't brutalize each other's skulls again because those headbutts had me cringing. Don't get me wrong, I love the two.

BUSHI/KUSHIDA could be fun so long as EVIL/Naito aren't too involved. I'd rather not see Tanahashi/Omega, would much rather Omega/Naito.

Status

I am all for Shibata and Ishii going wild but yeah, they can't do headbutt bumps all the time otherwise they'll end up like that guy who was in the HBK vs HHH match at WM20 - although they're both crazy fucks so i imagine we will see something similar to it.

If Tanahashi is Omega's opponent then Naito needs to face someone and there aren't many options for him. He was clearly going to face Tanahashi before Nak vacated the IC belt. Now, i'm not so sure. Naito needs a win going into the NJ Cup. Guess he could do a random tag with EVIL against Tenzan and Kojima. Or he could just walk around and not give a fuck about anything whilst randomly attacking cameramen.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China
    Goto/Okada will be good, Jon. Just look at their title match at New Beginning 2014. Goto's one of the only performers that breaks through Okada's formula and should at least get him to work a different match. (That pop for Goto's finishing run was incredible, along with him using the PK with Shibata's kickpads) The press conference wasn't good build...it was GREAT build. Goto's attack was awesome and his "Don't look down on me..." line was great. And Okada's such a dick. I don't have high hopes for a title switch at all, but pushing the red button and trying to push Goto to stardom wouldn't be the worst idea (especially compared to Omega or Naito),

Shibata/Ishii will be the same as always. I can't promise I'll love the match but they'll be fine. Ishii's wrestled with a separated shoulder for months on end so I'm pretty sure he's not too worried about a couple of stiff shots to the head. Especially after that Honma match in November. THAT was the one that borderlined on too far on the headbutts.

Shibata/Ishii will be the same as always. I can't promise I'll love the match but they'll be fine. Have both been through way worse than their match at a small B-Show. Especially after that Honma match in November. THAT was the one that borderlined on too far on the headbutts. This probably won't be as bad as that.

Think both Bullet Club teams leave with the titles on 2/11.

Agree with Ed, think Tanahashi will be the opponent and win. Then again if it's him why not just announce it? The mystery man bit is dumb if that's the case. Another unlikely idea that would be smart is debuting someone new and having him crush Omega.

KUSHIDA/BUSHI SHOULD be great, but if we have another match with constant shenanigans like with Dorada (which is highly likely) then I won't be impressed.

Gallows/Anderson vs. Honma/Makabe should be a solid match and Ed made a great point on twitter about how nobody's talking about Gallows/Anderson still working.

Status
      Country                    United States

Elgin is booked in a whole bunch of tag matches with Omega for the RoadTo shows, and he sent out a tweet about the IC title last night.

Possibly Omega vs Elgin in Niigata?

All About That Ace

Status

Maybe I haven't watched enough Elgin but he doesn't seem good enough to hold a title. Maybe the Openweight but even then, Shibata/Ishii are on another level than him.

Status

Id peg Elgin as a NEVER guy myself but honestly Omega beating Elgin does nothing overall if Omega is to win - however beating Tanahashi's tag partner is a way to get Tanahashi in the hunt.

Fuck knows, i cant wait.

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

These are apparently House Show lineups:

Spoiler:

New Japan Pro-Wrestling - "ROAD TO THE NEW BEGINNING"
    Tokorozawa Citizen Gymnasium Sub Arena

1. Teruaki Kanemitsu vs. Hirai Kawato
    2. Yuji Nagtaa, Jushin Thunder Liger & David Finlay vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & Jay White
    3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall
    4. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
    5. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. Michal Elgin, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson
    6. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows vs. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Captain New Japan
    7. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo

NJPW, 30.01.2016 (NJPW World)
    Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. David Finlay vs. Hirai Kawato
    2. Jay White vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu
    3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask
    4. Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga
    5. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan
    6. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Cody Hall
    7. Shinsuke Nakamura Send Off Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii

NJPW, 02.02.2016
    Furukawa City Central Movement Park Gymnasium

1. David Finlay vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu
    2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jay White vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask
    3. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga vs. Toru Yano & Gedo
    4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA, Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan
    5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall
    6. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Juice Robinson

NJPW, 04.02.2016
    Iwaki Municipal Gymnasium

1. Jay White vs. Hirai Kawato
    2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & David Finlay
    3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
    4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan
    5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall
    6. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Tiger Mask vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo

NJPW, 06.02.2016
    Akita Terrsa

1. David Finlay vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu
    2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Jay White
    3. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Toru Yano & Gedo
    4. KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask & Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI
    5. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Captain New Japan
    6. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI

NJPW, 07.02.2016
    Akita Furusato Village Dome Theate
    r

1. David Finlay vs. Hirai Kawato
    2. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jay White
    3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga
    4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan
    5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall
    6. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo

NJPW, 08.02.2016
    Yamagata Big Wing

1. Jay White vs. Teruaki Kanemitsu
    2. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Tigr Mask vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay
    3. Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale & Cody Hall
    4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA, Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan
    5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Michael Elgin & Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga
    6. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo

So it's looking like Omega vs Tanahashi is what we are going to get as well as potentially Naito vs Taguchi (?) all I can think of.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

If the tours are anything to take into account Naito's paired against KUSHIDA every match, though I wouldn't like that at all if he loses because that losing a big non-title match is a GREAT way to start KUSHIDA's big run. >_>

Somebody said this on twitter in response to my thing that the mystery man thing is stupid just to bring out Tanahashi, but could this be a soft test for Omega? Basically this theory is if Niigata can sell out based on Omega headlining (Look, this is a B show in a small venue with Shibata & Ishii on the undercard, that alone should be enough) they can go with someone either new or lower on the food chain. If that turns people away then they can bring out Tanahashi to win the title and save the day and boost those numbers. Just something to look out for.

All About That Ace

Status

So the only one going on NJPW World is the Shinsuke Farewell Show?

I'm not really sold on New Beginning yet. Will follow though.

Status

I don't see any KUSHIDA vs Naito match on the horizon as he's got BUSHI to deal with first.

I mean that theory makes sense but are NJPW really going to be that worried when they had Nakamura vs Nagata last year? I guess the difference is that Omega is a gaijin but I think they will be relatively ok. I just can't see anyone but Tanahashi answering the call. Naito doesn't give a fuck apparently and everyone else good enough seems busy. It has to be Elgin or Tanahashi. My issue with Tanahashi is that Omega cannot go over him surely but Tanahashi as IC champ is way too early right now. I think he should be champion later on down the line but eh I guess theyll build Tanahashi up to finally drop the belt to Omega eventually.

and Jon - I think there will be more but that's the only one on the schedule.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I mean that theory makes sense but are NJPW really going to be that worried when they had Nakamura vs Nagata last year?
    Well of course they'd be a little wary because Nakamura was a top guy who was one of their reliable draws and Omega just isn't at this stage. They weren't going in blind to Nakamura Vs Nagata, but they are if it's Omega Vs Mystery Opponent.

I see the logic of that twitter theory Dylan, I saw it simply as they want a house show to set up an angle for Tanahashi going after Omega/The IC title rather than set it up at some press conference, but I think there's some truth to the idea they want to see how well they can draw if the responsibility falls on Omega.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Well of course they'd be a little wary because Nakamura was a top guy who was one of their reliable draws and Omega just isn't at this stage. They weren't going in blind to Nakamura Vs Nagata, but they are if it's Omega Vs Mystery Opponent.

I see the logic of that twitter theory Dylan, I saw it simply as they want a house show to set up an angle for Tanahashi going after Omega/The IC title rather than set it up at some press conference, but I think there's some truth to the idea they want to see how well they can draw if the responsibility falls on Omega.

Of course, of course, you're right. But surely those buying tickets to the show will be expecting some kind of big name for Omega now? But I get the theory and stuff but how would Tanahashi coming out as the opponent boost any sort of crowd figures? They would have to announce/make it clear that it's Tanahashi ahead of time if Omega is bombing, right? But yeah, it makes sense. I think that the show will be relatively fine anyway.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Well, hearing Tanahashi has a shoulder injury.... Guess it's Big Mike's time to shine!

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Still Kicking It

Status
      Country                    United States

Since they lost AJ, I think Elgin would have a better shot of being that gateway star to the West. He's getting great crowd reactions and he's more over than I thought he'd be. Omega's a good worker and an entertaining character but he doesn't scream "superstar." Not just yet.

Status

I think Omega has a higher ceiling than Elgin if I am being honest though.

Elgin needs a better outfit too man, his ass is almost out. I dig him but Omega's got the villainous vibe going for him right now that's going to get him up there. Just needs to ditch the bullshit so we can take him seriously.

Anyways just a spoiler regarding who X is:

Spoiler:

Tanahashi announced it is him who is facing Omega. Said it post-Nakamura farewell match
    Last edited by RainShaker; 01-30-2016 at 08:12 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information