Thread: NJPW Power Struggle - November 7th 2015

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Power Struggle - November 7th 2015

Road to Power Struggle (October 23)

1. Captain New Japan, Tiger Mask IV & Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger vs. Sho Tanaka, Yohei Komatsu & Juice Robinson

2. Jay White & David Finlay Jr. vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

3. Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA, Mascara Dorada & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Chase Owens & Kenny Omega

4. Katsuyori Shibata & Hirooki Goto vs. Cody Hall & Tama Tonga

5. Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe vs. Gedo & Tomohiro Ishii

6. YOSHI-HASHI, Toru Yano & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson

7. Matt Sydal, Ricochet & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Trent Baretta, Rocky Romero & Kazuchika Okada

Road to Power Struggle - Korakuen Hall (October 24)

1. Captain New Japan, Katsuyori Shibata, Hirooki Goto & Togi Makabe vs. Jay White, David Finlay Jr., Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu

2. YOSHI-HASHI, Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fales, Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson

3. Juice Robinson, Tomoaki Honma & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Gedo, Tomohiro Ishii & Kazuchika Okada

4. Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2015 1st Round Tiger Mask IV & Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly

5. Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2015 1st Round Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero vs. Chase Owens & Kenny Omega

6. Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2015 1st Round Mascara Dorada & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson

7. Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2015 1st Round Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet

Power Struggle (November 7)

1. Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2015 Finals TBD vs. TBD

2. Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL (Takaaki Watanabe)

3. YOSHI-HASHI & Toru Yano vs. Bad Luck Fale & AJ Styles

4. Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma (NEVER Openweight Championship)

5. Kota Ibushi & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Kazuchika Okada

6. Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Karl Anderson (IWGP Intercontinental Championship)
    I haven't watched King of Pro Wrestling yet, so I have no big thoughts on the fallout of that show, just instantly judging on what the Power Struggle cards are like.

As hilarious as I find the name EVIL, that's actually a match I'm interesting in seeing next month. Hard not to jump to conclusions of EVIL and Naito Vs Goto and Shibata Tag League finals.

Disappointed they're doing Ishii/Honma again now and not at the Dome. My pick for the Jr Tags would be Ricochet/Sydal because they've gone with the fresh team in recent years (Bucks '13, reDRagon '14) and they're main eventing the two 'road to' shows, my only doubts would be if Lucha Underground S2's taping schedule clashes with New Japan too much. Sydal/Ricochet/Tanahashi Vs Okada and RPG Vice sounds like a great house show match.

Obviously AJ Styles shows up after that Nakaura/Anderson match. He might be ringside throughout the match.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Re: NJPW Power Struggle - November 7th 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    As hilarious as I find the name EVIL, that's actually a match I'm interesting in seeing next month. Hard not to jump to conclusions of EVIL and Naito Vs Goto and Shibata Tag League finals.
    I kind of love the name in that "it's never going to get old hearing the announcers go crazy with it" kind of way. I was just starting to become a Takaaki fan in ROH so a little sad to see him come home but this is fresh and it seems like they're using him in a prominent position so good for him.

Disappointed they're doing Ishii/Honma again now and not at the Dome. My pick for the Jr Tags would be Ricochet/Sydal because they've gone with the fresh team in recent years (Bucks '13, reDRagon '14) and they're main eventing the two 'road to' shows, my only doubts would be if Lucha Underground S2's taping schedule clashes with New Japan too much. Sydal/Ricochet/Tanahashi Vs Okada and RPG Vice sounds like a great house show match.
    Team of Sydal/Ricochet sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm also a little disappointed in getting Ishii/Honma so soon but maybe they do something fun with it? What are standard Japanese time limits? I saw someone on Reddit wish for Ishii/Makabe/Honma at WK. Could you imagine?

Obviously AJ Styles shows up after that Nakaura/Anderson match. He might be ringside throughout the match.
    Oh, you mean to congratulate Karl on the hard-fought victory. Right? Right.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural
    I'm also a little disappointed in getting Ishii/Honma so soon but maybe they do something fun with it? What are standard Japanese time limits? I saw someone on Reddit wish for Ishii/Makabe/Honma at WK. Could you imagine?
    In the almost 4 years I've been watching New Japan, the only singles three way I can remember is Ibushi/Ki/Devitt, it's just not the done thing in Japan. Just so we'd get something different, I'd be interested in it, but I'm not too big on Makabe. My suspicions for where they're going, how about a Big Mike return at the Dome to challenge Ishii? I know ROH are running their Japan shows pretty early in the new year so I could see another ROH star getting some spotlight at the dome to help interest in the future shows.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

In the almost 4 years I've been watching New Japan, the only singles three way I can remember is Ibushi/Ki/Devitt, it's just not the done thing in Japan. Just so we'd get something different, I'd be interested in it, but I'm not too big on Makabe. My suspicions for where they're going, how about a Big Mike return at the Dome to challenge Ishii? I know ROH are running their Japan shows pretty early in the new year so I could see another ROH star getting some spotlight at the dome to help interest in the future shows.
    I would definitely prefer that to the 'Elgin/Lethal for the ROH Championship' possibility I've seen floated around.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

EVIL and his look are best left in the indies where they belong. And he's not a bad worker don't get me wrong, but they have Goto right there who they can't seem to push. Plus count me on the "this is unbelievably stupid" camp on the name. Whatever, the match should be pretty cool though my initial thought is there will be a lot of shenanigans and it'll probably turn into a huge schmoz. Meiyu Trio are such a downer in general especially after NJPW appeared to go out of their way to make them look bad at KOPW. Oh, the best part of all this is keep a lookout for the post where they fight, Goto had an absolutely brilliant STO sell for Watanabe. Really put him over.

Honma getting a title shot really makes his loss to Yujiro even more stupid. Should be a hoot of a match despite the company's shockingly bad execution of both men's storylines.

Anderson getting this push is insane. I could pick 20 guys that would be a better match, and something tells me now that he's not facing Goto Nak won't be pretty to watch either like he hasn't been for much of the year.

I smell a setup for Ibushi/Sakuraba on the horizon.

Long story short, I think there are a couple of fun matches on this card but I just can't get over the booking right now and how bad it continues to be. And not to mention Dorada's stuck teaming with Taguchi in the tournament!? Gahh

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Just to show how meaningless this main event is they're already advertising Nak making an open challenge after he defends against Anderson.

Most people take this to mean this sets up an outsider of some sort since if it were AJ like originally thought he could have just challenged him like normal. Also with that AJ's probably winning the ROH Title and defending it at WK.

Go seems perfectly set up for this especially since something being "too obvious" has never been a problem for Gedo.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

I'd much rather have Styles/Nakamura rather than have Go/Nakamura for WK10 as Styles/Nakamura is my dream match in NJ that hasn't happened yet and you're kind of booking yourself into a corner there as Go has to win the IC title (which wouldn't be my direction for him) or he's losing his first match.

My picks for the Super Jr Tags are looking good. Anyone watched the tournament so far?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
    Go/Nakamura had a match at WK 2011 and it wasn't very good either. Nak/AJ would be a better match but with them advertising the challenge I think it'd be pretty disappointing for it to be a regular roster member even if it is the best one. Also of note is AJ's cleared his dates out starting in February so read into that however you want.

Ibushi has cervical herniated disk and will be gone for "awhile". He seemingly really didn't have anything special planned for the Dome but it's still a loss.

I watched the first Jr. Tag Tourney show and was pretty unimpressed with the tournament matches but there was a Makabe/Meiyu Tag vs. Young Lions Trios which was really hot though Shibata/Makabe as an angle that they're teasing gives me a headache. Also on the second show Trios Goto used the Shoryu Kekkai as his finish on Juice! <3 Huge markout moment there. The second show tournament matches were both better than anything on night 1 but reDRagon are so bad. There was a ton of audible spot calling that had me rolling my eyes just like when Cena does it. Thought Ricochet gave one of his better performances I can remember as Ricochet though a lot of that was likely teaming with Sydal who continues to be ace. Unfortunately the Bucks did their same tired crap which took away from it. Sydal/Ricochet vs. RPG Vice could be pretty cool, looking forward to it.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Nak/AJ would be a better match but with them advertising the challenge I think it'd be pretty disappointing for it to be a regular roster member even if it is the best one.
    Just wait for it to be Goto to challenge Nak

Relentless Admin

Status

No Go Shiozaki. It's Styles Vs Nakamura at the dome.

WAKE UP

Status

sounds good to me

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Still think it was lame at best, disingenuious at worst to tease a new guy coming if this was the plan all along. (The show still did poorly so I guess justice is served) Also this will be hurt by the winner being obvious unless it comes out AJ re-signs but as a match I think we all have pretty high expectations.

Stayed up just long enough for EVIL and had to turn it off. What the crap was this? A scythe? Laser gloves? Teleporting!? GOTO HELL I know a lot lost their minds over all this on twitter, but if you want to know how effective it was listen to how dead this crowd was during everything he did during his entrance and his match. Which by the way, he didn't look any good in and was probably Goto's worst match I can remember though thankfully he was still over and things really picked up on the run-ins. Naito especially is super over right now and that came off well. Look forward to the tag match at Dome, but this EVIL stuff has got to go.

Can't wait to watch Ishii/Honma!

Relentless Admin

Status

So Ishii Vs Honma was awesome as expected, those guys must of used their heads more than their fists in this match. In 2 years these guys have put on 5 legit great matches, their styles works together so well. I hope Honma is in something more important than a 6 man tag at the Dome, because his performances over the last 2 years warrant a bigger spot, maybe GBH win the tag league and he dethrones Guns and Gallows.

The Okada/Tanahashi tag match wasn't anything special, but I loved the post match brawl. That got me hyped for Jan 4th.

EVIL looks like he belongs in a Bray Wyatt feud. This is a really odd direction to go in when all he needed to be was an 'I give no fucks' douchebag like Naito and Los Ingobernables are ready to cause havoc in New Japan. He doesn't fit being Naito's partner now.

Ricochet and Sydal win the Jr Tag Tournament; One for the Ed was right folder. That's about as good a tag match as I've seen all year in that division, but cringing at them setting up the cliche 4 way already before reDRagon/Sydal and Ricochet has even happened.

Thread Information