Thread: NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2015

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2015

Here's the card for the next New Japan PPV:

Liger, Tiger Mask, Taguchi, Dorada, Kushida Vs Juice Robinson, Komatsu, Tanaka, White, Finlay Jr

Tomoaki Honma Vs YOSHI-HASHI

Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata, Nakanishi Vs Goto, Shibata, Ibushi, Captain New Japan

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    reDRagon Vs RPG Vice

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
    Kenny Omega Vs Matt Sydal

Nakamura, Yano and Sakuraba Vs Anderson, Gallows and Fale

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Togi Makabe Vs Tomohiro Ishii

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kazuchika Okada Vs AJ Styles
    If we can keep BC out of the Okada/Styles match, then that's a great main event in prospect. Naito/Tanahashi has an obvious winner, but should be another great match from the top. After that, there's just nothing here for me. Goto, Shibata and Ibushi teaming with Captain New Japan sounds like a match booked just to troll the fans complaining at New Japan's booking. Would not be surprised at all for Honma to lose to YOSHI-HASHI.

Looks like Nakamura Vs Karl Anderson will main event Power Struggle. Oh boy.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-28-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: NJPW King Of Pro Wrestling 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

Here's the card for the next New Japan PPV:

If we can keep BC out of the Okada/Styles match, then that's a great main event in prospect. Naito/Tanahashi has an obvious winner, but should be another great match from the top. After that, there's just nothing here for me. Goto, Shibata and Ibushi teaming with Captain New Japan sounds like a match booked just to troll the fans complaining at New Japan's booking. Would not be surprised at all for Honma to lose to YOSHI-HASHI.

Looks like Nakamura Vs Karl Anderson will main event Power Struggle. Oh boy.
    The main event should be fine but we've seen everything they can do so many times and the result's not even a little bit in doubt. I'm not excited for that or Tana/Naito for the same reasons. Meiyu Trio getting buried is dumb. They might as well have been kept off the card especially if CNJ is gonna take the fall and they're going to be put under Nagata & co.

I said this in the other thread but I honestly would rather YOSHI-HASHI win. This is ridiculous in so many ways and just shows how crap Gedo is but the sad truth is I think you can make an argument that "The Loose One" has a higher upside at this point than not only Honma, but Goto & Shibata as well. Yes all 3 of those guys are way better but they've already been hurt so bad I don't even know if it's worth it anymore to go to them past a certain level. Tacos is over every show and he's actually been pretty good. Wouldn't mind seeing him at least get a chance to move up and show what he's got in a real role to at least add some variety to things.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

King of Pro Wrestling will have a separate feed featuring English commentary from Kevin Kelly & Matt Striker.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    King of Pro Wrestling will have a separate feed featuring English commentary from Kevin Kelly & Matt Striker.
    Yeah I heard about that tonight, hopefully English commentary is something that sticks around for the big shows to bring in wrestling fans who refuse to watch because of the language barrier.

I'll be sticking with the Japanese com as per.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker? Yeah I'll pass. Still, it'll probably draw more people in.

Hard to be thrilled over that card, NJPW is in desperate need of freshening up and their booking lately has been particularly bad. I could live without another Makabe/Ishii match, the junior tag division is stale as hell when there's no need to be since there's plenty of options to play with, and I'm worried about Okada/Styles being overbooked with a BS finish. There's only a couple matches I'm excited for really.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Just finished watching the show. And I very much enjoyed it. It wasn't better than WK 9 and I didn't expect it to be. But I still very much enjoyed every match.

But I will say this I did like the English Commentary on this one more than WK 9 solely because this time you don't have to deal with Matt Striker fawning over Kevin Kelley like he wanted to get under the table and suck his cock like he did with Jim Ross.

Status
      Country                    United States

I enjoyed this a good bit. Setting up the re-match for Hashi/Okada for Kingdom was a given, and both of their matches with Styles and Naito were entertaining.

the Naito character in general right now just has me entertained and waiting to see what's next. I love Watanabe returning as Evil as well.

F the Never title. I can't care about those two fighting each other anymore.

I dig the Young Lions a lot, but I'm bummed as shit with the booking of Kushida. After winning BOSJ and beating Omega, I was really hoping he would have had a longer more memorable run. I hate that he always gets thrown into tag matches. I like him so much more as a singles guy.

Certified G

Status

David Finlay, Jay White, Juice Robinson, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Kushida, Mascara Dorada, Ryusuke Taguchi & Tiger Mask
    This is the veterans against the young boys, doing a quick research because he looks so familiar, Juice Robinson is CJ Parker from NXT fame, I didn’t even know he left NXT so that’s a pleasant surprise. This kicks off interestingly, with the young boys attacking the veterans as soon as the match begins and then working over Jusin Liger. It’s not a long match, lasting just under 10 minutes but it’s a really match where the young boys get to look against the veterans and we get some fun spots like the veterans all sticking their opponents in submission holds at the same time trying to stretch them out. Not much to write about but it’s a fun opener, nice way to kick off the show. ** ½

Tomoaka Honma vs. Yoshi-Hashi
    According to Matt Striker on commentary, this match is taking place due to Honma not having the greatest winning record and Hasha being jealous about Honma getting into the G1 Climax tournament over him. Honma enters the match with his lower back taped up and Hashi obviously works over that at the start of the match, knocking him into the barricade several times, getting him with his cane and locking him in a boston crab which affects the back. There’s a nice moment in the match where Honma attempts to go for the suplex but his back gives out before he can even lift up Yoshi-Hashi and he falls to the mat in pain. The majority of Honma’s offense comes from using his head and doing headbutts – I’ve seriously never seen a guy use as many headbutts as this dude does as he does a missile dropkick, a leaping headbutt, hell his finisher is a second rope headbutt! It’s a solid match with Honma winning, again, it’s not that long so there isn’t much too talk about but there isn’t much wrong about it. ** ¾

Captain New Japan, Hirooki Goto, Shibata & Kota Ibushi vs. Tenzan, Nakanishi, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata
    Weird to be seeing Kota Ibushi so low down the card and put into what seems like a throwaway match, last time I seen him he was in the semi-main event at Wrestling Kingdom challenging for a title, what happened to him? It’s especially odd because outside of him starting the match, he doesn’t do anything of note whatsoever, very odd booking it seems because the dude looked like the next big Japanese star at Wrestling Kingdoom. As for this match, it’s solid without anything eventful happening much, there’s very drama in this and it kind of drags on a bit towards the end. I will say Captain New Japan dressing up as the Flash and Nagata having the eyes of death during a submission hold were amazing. ** ¾

reDragon © vs. RPG Vice- IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championship Match
    Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish are the defending champions while Barreta (of WWE ‘’Fame’’) and Rocky Romero challenge. There’s a funny moment where Striker is trying to hype up Barreta coming out of Mikey Whipwreck’s wrestling school and talking about it being a ‘who’s, who’s’ and the most successful wrestler he named was Zack Ryder This is a solid match and probably the best match out of the first four matches as there is a lot of tag team moves and the action keeps moving without there being any real story to the match or anything. There is some nice spots where Romero and Fish have heel hooks locked on the other at the same time and Fish/Barreta trying to stomp the other off. The finish is massively confusing though with there being an uncertainty to whether there was a three count or not for reDragon, it’s such an underwhelming finish to the match, I guess they’re looking to give Barreta/Romero a rematch but that was one weak finish. Solid match but nothing spectacular. ***

Kenny Omega (c) vs.Matt Sydal- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship MatchIt’s cool to see Matt Sydal back in wrestling, the dude is so talented so I’m glad to see he hadn’t faded into obscurity. I really don’t *get* Kenny Omega or what the hell his gimmick is here, his acting is pretty horrible. It’s a good match without anything great in it and I kind of feel they probably have much better in them here than what they produced. This was worked pretty slow to be honest but it has a neat story of Sydal targeting Omega’s leg and Sydal getting some hope spots in with Omega’s cheating thanks to Cody Hall on the outside. Nothing blow away but a solid enough match. ** ¾

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson) vs. Sakuraba, Shinsuke Nakamura & Toru Yano
    So, this match has some interest since Nakamura is defending his title against Karl Anderson at Power Struggle and we do get some brief interactions in the ring with the two of them to hype up their match. This is pretty short and not much happens in it. Bullet Club isn’t interesting to me whatsoever, them doing ‘Suck It’ and ‘2 Sweet’ taunts twenty years out of date is lame as hell and so is Matt Striker sucking them off on commentary. I typically like Striker but Christ he was awful in this match, at one point he even ‘2 Sweet’s’ one of the Bullet Club members. Worst match of the match by some distance. **

Togi Makabe (c) vs. Tomohiro IshiiNEVER Openweight Championship Match
    So this two have faced off in the past according to Kevin Kelly with Ishii never being able to win the title off Makabe and here he gets another chance at getting the NEVER Championship off Makabe. This is basically two tough dudes beating the ever crap out of each other. This is slow-paced but like Omega vs Sydal, it’s not dull because they keep the action going mostly by beating the piss out of each other with lariats. I enjoyed the ending with Ishii just straight murdering Makabe at the end. I always digged this style of wrestling so this rocked for me. *** ½

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
    -Tanahashi Defends His #1 Contender's Right
    Hiroshi Tanahashi won the GI Climax which gives him the right to challenge for the IWGP World Championship at Wrestling Kingdom. Naito did pin Tanahashi in the G1 so Tanahashi puts his rights on the line here, I assume. The one thing that I really took away from this match is Naito’s awesome heel performance, the entire match is designed to make him look better. He gets the epic entrance with a mask and a suit (accompanied by other dude), he slowly pulls off his suit, he does little things like kicking away a camera, pushing a referee, sitting on a chair waiting for Tanahashi to be counted out – Natio easily steals the entire show here with his performance. The entire match, Tanahashi barely gets any offense in, Natio just dominates him. It’s not much of a match and I don’t think they ever designed it to be but it’s worth watching just for Natio’s performance. ***

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. AJ Styles IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match

Winner faces Tanahashi at the main event of Wrestling Kingdom – these two have faced already this year with Okada beating Styles for the title so we get this match. To be quite honest, I had high expectations for this match and they massively fell short of what I was expecting here. It feels like they’re going through the motions in this match, there’s no drama or heat or anything – just these two hitting moves on each other and of course, we get Bullet Club interference, which makes me really not like them, 2 Sweeting in 2015 should be a crime by death. Not a bad match, not a great one either, I’ll have to check out their other match eventually. *** ¼

Overall: This was a good show, I haven’t watched any New Japan since Wrestling Kingdom and the option for English commentary appealed to me since I can get a grip on what’s happening and why. Matt Striker was solid enough outside of Bullet Club orgasming but Kelly was meh, I understand he works for ROH and needs to advertise them but that’s all he seemed to do, didn’t add anything else really. Match wise, nothing blew me away but nothing was actively bad either, it’s a fun show.

Thread Information