Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Alien: Covenant (2017)

  1. #41
    I Think I'm Cool

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    27,897
    Rep Power
    328639
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    England

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    Just got back from seeing this, a lot to talk about but I'll think I'll wait until others get a chance to see it. As long as you enjoyed Prometheus, you'll like this I think. I'm fairly happy with the connections between Prometheus and Alien that were made in Covenant. Fassbender was excellent again.

  2. #42
    Curtain Jerker
    OMBGraves's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    yea want to go see it this weekend

  3. #43
    Crotchety Old SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scaramanga's Funhouse
    Posts
    23,822
    Rep Power
    242339
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just got back from seeing this, a lot to talk about but I'll think I'll wait until others get a chance to see it. As long as you enjoyed Prometheus, you'll like this I think. I'm fairly happy with the connections between Prometheus and Alien that were made in Covenant. Fassbender was excellent again.
    Doesn't open here until Friday but you know I'll be all over it. Should be going to the earliest show possible.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

    Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2012~!

    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis







  4. #44
    Mr Wrestling
    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    10402
      Country                    England

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    My mate said it was s***e but from others its sounds good. I'm going to see it tommor so I guees I'll find it which one
    WHOOP WHOOP

  5. #45
    Crotchety Old SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scaramanga's Funhouse
    Posts
    23,822
    Rep Power
    242339
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Fassbender was excellent again.
    Definitely the best part of the movie although to be fair a lot of the cast were pretty bland so he stood out even more. I liked a lot of the ideas in the film and the connections to Prometheus were great, plus learning a little more about the genesis of the Xenomorph we all know and love was pretty cool. For me, the worst part was that it kind of descended into a generic slasher movie at times. Luckily the David/Walter exposition scenes kind of helped to break that up before it got too annoying. The ending was pretty predictable but still good enough to have me hyped for the next part of this story. Here's hoping we don't have to wait another 5 years for it.


    Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

    Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2012~!

    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis







  6. #46
    I Think I'm Cool

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    27,897
    Rep Power
    328639
      Country                    England

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    My response to Fuji in spoilers for the benefit those that haven't seen it yet:

    Spoiler:



    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Definitely the best part of the movie although to be fair a lot of the cast were pretty bland so he stood out even more.
    Yep it wasn't a strong cast. Daniels was alright, but she didn't leave the same impression on me as Elizabeth Shaw who was no Ripley but still pretty great. Everyone else in the film I just didn't care if they died. Prometheus' crew seemed pretty great by comparison.

    I did enjoy Guy Pierce's cameo scene as young(er) Weyland at the start.

    I liked a lot of the ideas in the film and the connections to Prometheus were great, plus learning a little more about the genesis of the Xenomorph we all know and love was pretty cool.
    My favourite part of the film was the reveal of how David was the creator of the Xenomorph's through years of genetic trial and error with the Engineer's goo. My jaw dropped when I saw Elizabeth's corpse ripped open from the chest, not that it was super surprising but more how fucking evil David is to do research on Elizabeth after she put him back together again. I like the idea that David, a human creation, created the Xenomorphs and hence ultimately humans are to blame for that lineage of beasts. I don't think they could of come up with a better explanation for the genesis of the aliens that I would be happier with.

    Still waiting on the explanation of who the space jockey is because the ship that David crash landed doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.

    For me, the worst part was that it kind of descended into a generic slasher movie at times.
    Yep there was a bit too much of 'hey lets split up', 'I need to go somewhere on my own - I'll be fine, lol dead a minute later'. The shower scene where the two crew members fuck session get interrupted is probably my least favourite death ever in the Alien franchise because it just feels like it belongs in Scary Movie 3 rather than this saga.

    Luckily the David/Walter exposition scenes kind of helped to break that up before it got too annoying.
    I'll do the fingering

    The ending was pretty predictable but still good enough to have me hyped for the next part of this story
    From the moment David cut his hair off I knew they were setting up for a switch-a-roo down the line. However it was the ending that needed to happen because we knew the Xenomorph/facehunger DNA had to get off that planet somehow, and so it was satisfying enough for me.


  7. #47
    Crotchety Old SMOD

    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scaramanga's Funhouse
    Posts
    23,822
    Rep Power
    242339
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)

    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    I did enjoy Guy Pierce's cameo scene as young(er) Weyland at the start.
    Oh yeah, he was great in maintaining that air of arrogance he had in Prometheus. I suppose you can get away with that if you're a trillionaire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    My favourite part of the film was the reveal of how David was the creator of the Xenomorph's through years of genetic trial and error with the Engineer's goo. My jaw dropped when I saw Elizabeth's corpse ripped open from the chest, not that it was super surprising but more how fucking evil David is to do research on Elizabeth after she put him back together again. I like the idea that David, a human creation, created the Xenomorphs and hence ultimately humans are to blame for that lineage of beasts. I don't think they could of come up with a better explanation for the genesis of the aliens that I would be happier with.
    Same here, although I do think it's important to try and remember that David isn't inherently evil, just an android with a thirst for knowledge and a lot of free time on his hands. His motivations don't seem born out of a desire to do harm to others so much as to continue his experiments and further his attempts to create the perfect lifeform. To him, people are just expendable, although he does mention how much he dislikes them when talking to Walter so perhaps he does take some form of enjoyment out of killing them. I agree that there's pretty much no other way that would have worked as to explaining how the Xenomorph's came to be and I too was ultimately satisfied with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Still waiting on the explanation of who the space jockey is because the ship that David crash landed doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.
    Well, Scott's got at least two more movies in the works to get to that point but yeah, I would have liked to have a little more light shed on that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Yep there was a bit too much of 'hey lets split up', 'I need to go somewhere on my own - I'll be fine, lol dead a minute later'. The shower scene where the two crew members fuck session get interrupted is probably my least favourite death ever in the Alien franchise because it just feels like it belongs in Scary Movie 3 rather than this saga.
    The shower scene was terrible and I have to wonder whether Scott was just trying his hand at parody.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    From the moment David cut his hair off I knew they were setting up for a switch-a-roo down the line. However it was the ending that needed to happen because we knew the Xenomorph/facehunger DNA had to get off that planet somehow, and so it was satisfying enough for me.
    David also had to get off the planet if only because there's got to be a point down the line where he somehow manages to get a message back to the company that the Xenomorph exists. I can't see any other way they'd be able to figure out that it's on the planet that the Nostromo crew lands on in Alien without his help. I do find it amusing that Weyland-Yutani is so desperate to get their hands on something that was essentially created by their property, albeit without their knowledge.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 05-19-2017 at 05:33 PM.


    Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

    Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2012~!

    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •