Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Robot Discussion Thread

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Mr. Robot Discussion Thread

I am shocked no on on the board has mentioned this show yet. I was really skeptical going into the show because of the name but this has become my favorite show in TV at the moment. It's a mixture of Fight type plot with a True Detective and Breaking Bad feel to it(especially the raw darkness of it). With a narration from Rami Malek that is very reminiscent of Dexter.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/29/9068135...true-detective is a good article I read earlier about it in comparison to it's similarities to True Detective. I love True Detective btw, it's my 2nd favorite show right now.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: Mr Robot

Watched the first episode just there. Will definitely be coming back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    Watched the first episode just there. Will definitely be coming back for more.
    I am glad at least one person has given a try, I admit the name gave me pause at first. Mr Robot is not a very good name for a show as edgy and dark as this one is at times.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

OH. MY. GOD. That last episode was just fucking epic and mind-blowing even tho I saw it coming!!!

Seriously if you are not at the very least giving this show a try you are missing out. One of the best shows on TV right now.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

The name is definitely a little strange, it evokes the feeling of anime whenever I hear it. That said, the description is right up my alley. Cyber justice with a Dexter-esque narration? Yes, please.

Saw the first episode. Lead actor is new to me but I thought he was great and I always look forward to enjoying Christian Slater without irony. So far Slater seems like more than just gimmick casting, I dig his character. Aside from one or two cringe moments (to hear "IRL" spoken aloud, and the overexcited Asian character describing, IIRC, a DDOS attack as being pursued by 'a serial rapist with a hundred giant dicks...') I thought it was damn impressive and will definitely be checking out the rest.

This is a far cry from The Strain, where there's a female character who got dressed at Hot Topic ten years ago, shows no intelligence on screen at any point and is believed to have taken down cell phone networks and reduced the internet to "worse than dial-up" because of a few lines of dialogue. I know The Strain is not about tech, nor is it a serious effort, but that was really off-putting and this show seems like the perfect palette cleanser. No CSI "Enhance" balogna. So far, at least.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

It only gets better and better. Literally every single fucking person, even my 8 year old step son has said the name is pretty meh. Titles can end up being everything and the title of Mr Robot def does more harm it does good.

It does not prepare you for the American Psycho/Fight Club-esque journey you are about to embark.

A kick-ass name and this series would be among the top of the ratings but no, they saved all the awesomeness for the show itself and skeeezd on the name.

Putting the name aside it is my favorite show right now and like Dexter it really hinges all on the narrator/main character to dazzle the audience... which Rami Malek nails. I am really impressed with him and this is clearly his break out role IMO and with the ballsy writing team he has... I look forward to his future.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

I just binged this the other night, and damn. I was skeptical cause the trailers looked pretty meh to me... but wow, purely fantastic. Didn't catch Wednesday's yet, but I left off with "I think we need to talk." after "the kiss."

Blew. My. Mind.
    "This reminds me of Santa's workshop, except it smells like mushrooms, and everyone looks like they wanna hurt me!"

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I just binged this the other night, and damn. I was skeptical cause the trailers looked pretty meh to me... but wow, purely fantastic. Didn't catch Wednesday's yet, but I left off with "I think we need to talk." after "the kiss."

Blew. My. Mind.
    Yes!!!! Finally. Like I said the trailers and title do not do this show justice as all.

"I think we need to talk" I saw coming after reading a review in an early episode but was still excellent.

"The Kiss" was just mind-blowing and it makes so much sense! Classic miss-direction because of the above thing.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Epicity View Post
    Yes!!!! Finally. Like I said the trailers and title do not do this show justice as all.

"I think we need to talk" I saw coming after reading a review in an early episode but was still excellent.

"The Kiss" was just mind-blowing and it makes so much sense! Classic miss-direction because of the above thing.
    So many things in earlier episodes made so much more sense after that.. like...

Spoiler:

When she was in his shower and he asked how she knew where he lived and she's like "why wouldn't I"?

or

Spoiler:

When Mr. Robot stayed with him to help him get clean... or how he knew so much about Elliot to know that he was vital to the plan

Kind of reminds me of like Wilfred meets Breaking Bad, minus the humor.
    "This reminds me of Santa's workshop, except it smells like mushrooms, and everyone looks like they wanna hurt me!"

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Yeah instead of humor it's dark and edginess out the asss.

I agree about

Spoiler:

The earlier stuff. I said the same thing, at first they had you believe she was just a bitch who broke into his house and hacked him to find out where he lived. The "why wouldn't I" comment makes much more sense, as does her weird self entitled attitude when she always barged into his apt without question. Man I am kicking myself for not putting those pieces together before. I knew something was off but I chalked it up to his obvious lapses in memory that he just forgot they knew each other better than that. I was right... but they knew each other way deeper than I thought.

As for Mr Robot himself, aka his dad. I was sure he was a hallucination/split personality of some kind and I guess that he was his dad pretty early on too. Because of this twist being so big and right in front of us tho, it lead to the misdirection where I never woulda thought they would have a twist with her being his sister as well. Like I said, it was a nice misdirection technique because we focus so much on Mr Robot himself. Elliot is basically a non serial killer version of Norman Bates but with his dad instead of his mom. It looks like Mr Robot takes up a big chunk of his memory as he probably literally became him when starting fsociety. This is also a very similar plot to Fight Club where Tyler Durden became the dominant personality for vast periods of time.

Really just great television all around. I love this show.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

Any chance you have a link to the pilot? My on demand only had eps 2-8. 9 still isn't up. Ugh.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

HOLY SHIT I just got to watch 109 last night... wow. Just wow. Blew my mind again, except I'm not surprised.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Yeah 1.09 was just a wild ride of awesome. It was pretty obvious where they were going with it but the ride there and the build up to it was thrilling.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

I must not be as observant as others, because I didn't see it coming at all lol. CAn't wait for the finale tonight.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

I must not be as observant as others, because I didn't see it coming at all lol. Can't wait for the finale tonight.

Spoiler:

Him not being real? Someone mentioned it in the review for the 2nd episode and glass shattered in my brain. After that I was more observant and noticed he never interacted with other characters. That changed a few episodes later however when he started yelling at everyone in fsociety but that could easily be explained through the Tyler Durden angle of Elliot switching personalities with Mr Robot. The more I looked for the clues the more it seemed the writers were aware of it and tried to hide the twist or simply left it where it could really go either way and make ya look stupid. I am glad they went with him being inside his head because the alternative would of taken all of the wind outta the show's sails IMO. Luckily they went with it and it worked amazing and this show is flying high going into the finale.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

CAn't wait for the finale tonight.
    You may have to...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/entert...rpt/index.html
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Let Me Take an Elfie

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Noooooooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Real Man Hype

Status

This is the main reason you don't shoot people. You end up making decent folk wait longer for the greatest drama since True Detective S1.

But yeah...
    Spoiler:

The brilliance of Mr. Robot being in Elliot's imagination was they telegraphed it so hard to make you think "Nah, they couldn't be so predictable..." but they went ahead and did it, but in a way that made it completely satisfying and mindfuck you even more with the revelation he was also his father. Hell, until Episode 9 they had me thinking it was confirmed that Mr. Robot was real AND his father.

Actually, I just remembered that during the scene with Elliot discovering photos of Mr. Robot, I started to believe the twist was Mr. Robot was real and Elliot was a figment of HIS imagination. The revelation of Darlene being Elliot's sister, I started to put the pieces together in that opening scene with her meeting Angela, but the kiss was a very well done moment and the actual idea and execution of that twist is so good that I want to go back and watch all their scenes together to find more clues.

You know you've found an epic show when all of this ridiculousness isn't convoluted at all.
    Last edited by Marketh; 08-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    This is the main reason you don't shoot people. You end up making decent folk wait longer for the greatest drama since True Detective S1.

But yeah...
    Spoiler:

The brilliance of Mr. Robot being in Elliot's imagination was they telegraphed it so hard to make you think "Nah, they couldn't be so predictable..." but they went ahead and did it, but in a way that made it completely satisfying and mindfuck you even more with the revelation he was also his father. Hell, until Episode 9 they had me thinking it was confirmed that Mr. Robot was real AND his father.

Actually, I just remembered that during the scene with Elliot discovering photos of Mr. Robot, I started to believe the twist was Mr. Robot was real and Elliot was a figment of HIS imagination. The revelation of Darlene being Elliot's sister, I started to put the pieces together in that opening scene with her meeting Angela, but the kiss was a very well done moment and the actual idea and execution of that twist is so good that I want to go back and watch all their scenes together to find more clues.

You know you've found an epic show when all of this ridiculousness isn't convoluted at all.
    I agree 100% Nail on the mother f'n head.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

And the cherry on top of all that delicious cake, them playing "Where is My Mind" at the end of Episode 9 as if to say, "Yeah, everyone knows this show is sorta like Fight Club. We like being sorta like Fight Club."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information