Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Album Club: The 2010's

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Re: WC 2010's Album Club

Oh shit, I would not have called that. I would have expected some fucking Lil Wayne shit from you lad

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2018 - 20/15/1 - 4th in Regular Season, 2nd Overall

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

No way my man. I listen to house and some EDM but majority of my iPod would be the likes of Blur, The Stone Roses, Oasis, The Jam, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian etc.

facking match day music

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    Nah, I just like 100 scores, especially if we're doing this for a while. 7.4/10, 3.5 stars or 355/480 if you prefer.

Who recommended this? I'm gunna guess Steve himself
    7.4 is just a weird number though. I can see if you did 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, etc, but .4? It's like when someone rates something 2.7/10. Like how do you get the .7?

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Just a bit under halfway to 80 was my thought

WC Fantrax Premiership

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    7.4 is just a weird number though. I can see if you did 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, etc, but .4? It's like when someone rates something 2.7/10. Like how do you get the .7?

I'm sure actual music critics or whoever use a more mathematical basis. I would like to think that anyway.

Ie Magic Whip has 12 songs, so rate each of them out of 10 and there would be a total out of 120. Then divide your total by 120 to get a fraction then multiply it by 100 to get your rating out of 100 or multiple it by 10 for a rating out of 10. That's how I would do it anyway.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Huh. Interesting. I may do that next time

WC Fantrax Premiership

Yooooo Mang

Status

Man this album was not my cup of tea at all...I really only liked the opener Lonesome Street, it felt very 90's alt to me, and was the only really upbeat song on the album. The rest kinda bored me and I tried listening to it the first time early in the morning on my way to work and it almost put me to sleep..I liked a lot of earlier Blur to..just wasn't into this at all... I'll give it a 4 out of 10 only because it had at least one song that will stay in my rotation..

Team Kick

Status

Quite pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this. I normally have mixed feelings on Blur due to thinking Coxon is really underrated, and Albarn is really overrated. I've never liked his lyrics particularly, and Magic Whip hasn't changed that. But the music underneath them is brilliant, and cohesive through the album as a whole. If I were to listen to it again I'd want to listen to it all the way through rather than picking tracks out. It's definitely an album that's greater than the sum of its tracks.

7/10

Kudos to Tig, interesting pick and something I likely wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

And if and when the cycle comes round again, I'm in.

WAKE UP

Status

yes of course you can review your own picks. just as you can review past picks if you are late - this is a discussion, no one is going to be a hitler about it.

I guess I will be alone and say I really dug Albarn's long, droney, almost bored-sounding vocals on this. They are pretty choice though. I guess it just kinda highlighted the mundanity of some of the subject matter. Going to the local can be boring and he got that tone.

WAKE UP

Status

Pick #2

Album: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Artist: Kanye West
    Year: 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ducd...EA8FD9A56AE49A

Status
      Country                    United States

Fuck yesssss.

Album's a masterpiece and I will hear no dissenting opinion. Gonna listen to it again anyway.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Yooooo Mang

Status

Oh I'm sure you will

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Love this album, gonna listen to the shit out of this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status

I've listened to this one before but it's been awhile so I'll give it another listen. I do remember liking it for the most part so let's see if I still have the same opinion.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Oh man, I wonder who picked this one...

Not a huge Kanye fan, but I'll give this a listen and post my thoughts in a bit.

WAKE UP

Status

So even though I am a big fan of what I'd dub the holy trinity of modern hip-hop - Kendrick Lamar, ASAP Rocky and Run The Jewels - I am pretty certain this is the best hip-hop album of the last ten years. Not only is it fanastic musically, but it is a rare album that, in the context of when it was released, feels almost transcendant in how career-altering it was for Kanye.

If you go back to the time before this album came out, Kanye was a guy seen as someone who showed a lot of promise on his early releases, then fell off as he became more successful and he became increasingly arrogant. His last album was not well received. In 2009 South Park did an episode completing slaying West with the 'Fishsticks' gag. The dude was a joke and hated by a lot of the mainstream media. This album not only cataplulted him to superstardom, but completely re-affirmed him as a credible artist, and it's universal acclaim changed the general perception of him from "Kanye is a douche" to "Kanye is a douche, BUT....".

This album is Kanye answering his critics by making an incredibly outland-ish, over the top, extragant record where he comes across as larger than life. He is still super arrogant, but he has fun with it and acknowledges it ("gonna choke a South Park writer with a fishstick"). This isn't Kanye getting rid of his arrogan image, but completely playing up to it and saying "I'm cocky, and this is fucking why".

Kanye's actual rapping is good but maybe the weakest aspect of the album. He is a producer first and foremost as most people probably know (I think?) and that is where the album shines. This is maybe the best produced mainstream hip-hop album ever (sorry Dre). It's packed full of different shit and every track feels different. The beats in general are superb. The guests are great and have some killer verses, including probably the best bars Nicki Minaj has ever spat still 5 years later. Sometimes too many guests on an album can detract and make it feel like it's not cohesive, but here it just adds to the highlight reel feel of the album. It's like a red carpet.

There are high tempo tracks, low tempo tracks, rap heavy tracks, beat heavy tracks, very radio friendly tracks and tracks that sound like there was a lot of experimenting going on. A track like "Blame Game" manages to both be hilarious and sad at the same time without feeling jarring. I thought Yeezus got pretty pretentious, but here everything is so well arranged, it's extremely accessible and easy to listen to despite so much going on.

Just all round a great album. The only people I can see not liking it are the people who just plain don't like hip-hop in general. Say what you want West as an individual (who cares?) but I'm a firm believer in this being a modern classic.

Also, THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIvEVkAfW4
    Last edited by King Steventon; 08-07-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    including probably the best bars Nicki Minaj has ever spat still 5 years later
    Man, fucking THIS.

I remember the first time I heard "Monster" and my jaw dropped when I heard her. I was like "Holy shit, finally a mainstream female rapper who can fucking LIGHT IT UP."

And then I heard literally every other verse she ever did and she's just fucking awful. Why Nicki. Why.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Yooooo Mang

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Man, fucking THIS.

I remember the first time I heard "Monster" and my jaw dropped when I heard her. I was like "Holy shit, finally a mainstream female rapper who can fucking LIGHT IT UP."

And then I heard literally every other verse she ever did and she's just fucking awful. Why Nicki. Why.
    I was literally thinking this while listening to it earlier today. She was awesome in Monster and has been absolute sewage ever since.

WAKE UP

Status

she is from the lil wayne ilk

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

I don't like hip-hop or rap music 90% of the time, it just doesn't do much for me, but as this genre is likely to keep cropping up I'll listen to whatever is nom'd. With the exception of POWER, this was all new to me.

I found myself really liking the majority of the album, the backing music was great and way more varied than I expected it to be. My favourite tracks were Gorgeous, All of the lights and Blame Game, the later of which I thought was outstanding even before it got to the Chris Rock spot. I instantly recognised the piano part of that song but couldn't actually place it until I looked it up. It's the song by Aphex Twin which was used in the credits of Four Lions.

Anyone else hear 'Ironman' in the chorus of Hell of a Life?

Glad I went into the album with an open mind, certainly got a higher appreciation for Kayne than I did a few days ago.

Thread Information