Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WC Album Club: The 2010's

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WC 2010's Album Club

Conflicting opinions will be had. Will try to get something up tomorrow.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Just got done listening to it while I played some 360 Not a bad album. I honestly didn't know he was still doing Blur. I love his other Project Gorrillaz the stuff on this album seem pretty cool for the fans of that genre. Like I said Not really my cup of tea but I do dig the song Ice Cream man that song is pretty cool
    Last edited by Flock U; 08-03-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

I gave it an initial listen and it was pleasant enough. I've always meant to look into Blur after enjoying some of his Gorillaz work, but this was basically my first exposure.

Will listen again to get a better feel for stuff. Really liked "Pyongyang" on the first go-round.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Will check out the album at work tomorrow and try and post my thoughts tomorrow night. Looking forward to this. Really fun idea.

WAKE UP

Status

So I was never super-into Blur in the day though I do like them. But out of context I think this is probably better than any Oasis album outside What's The Story?

Albarn sounds great as always and theres something distinctly British about their sound without feeling.... cliche? Is that it, or tacky or chavy or whatever. Ite ventures off into the weird and wonderful while feeling incredibly casual about it. Lots of psycadelic moments - cool riffs and amusing lyrics. Lots of really catchy songs that still don't feel manufactured for radio. A song about going to the local. The singles are the best tracks the rest is pretty solid.

Listening to this made me want to check out the rest of Blur's past catalogue.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I'm going to listen the full album soon enough, the first 3 tracks are pretty good listening though I must admit I am not the biggest fan of Albarn's voice. The music is good though. Hard to want to listen to it as currently im stuck in a house phase but ill give a proper listen and review of it in the coming days.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

you're pretty into your drugs right? im sure this album would sound pretty cool on weed or acid

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    you're pretty into your drugs right? im sure this album would sound pretty cool on weed or acid
    I can see the appeal and i tend to listen to music alot when im on stuff anyways. It's just a case of having the time to sit down and listen to it rather than just having it on in the background and not paying much attention to it if that makes sense. Blur and all the other bands people liken them to are pretty much enjoyable when you're stoned for sure though. Just depends what you're feeling at the time, i'm more into my electro sounding stuff and DJ sets right now. But signed up for this to broaden the musical tastes and whatnot. Will be interesting to see the diverse tastes there is.

This album has some weird asian theme right? The cover, the music videos/lyric videos and the song titles in general. Interesting.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Spoiler:

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Tranquilo

Status
      Country                    United States

I just got through listening to this, and first off I didn't know that this was the same dude who did Gorillaz, who I really dig so right off the bat I expected to enjoy this and I did. Stand out tracks to me were Ice Cream Man, Thought I Was A Spaceman, Pyongyang, New World Towers, and Ong Ong (which had a really neat video).

Nice choice to whoever picked this and I'll definitely be checking out more of Blur's previous stuff

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Gave this a listen a bit earlier. They've got a unique sound to them, which in some ways is good, but I felt a couple of the songs just didn't click or fit with the rest. The first couple just felt 'there.' It picked up nicely as it progressed though. I got a bit of a Phantom Planet vibe off I Broadcast. Not sure why though. Overall though, there really wasn't one song that stood out to me above the rest. Some decent stuff though.

Rating (out of five stars): ***

God's Gift to God

Status

Gonna check this out after I hit the gym. Sounds interesting based off all the feedback.

ily

Intercontinental Champion

Status

im down :D

dammit late to the party again. I only occasionally check the music forums since i focus on other forums so shit i guess next go around i would love to be in
    Last edited by StylesofPunk; 08-05-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Harley Quinn and Stirling for the win

God's Gift to God

Status

Lonesome Street was such a boring opener. It was so uneventful on a first listen and gave me zero to latch onto to revisit. I have nothing else to say other than boring. *

New World Towers was...interesting. The lyrics on first pass didn't really stand out and felt kinda flat given the apparent subject matter. The arrangement, however, was pretty chill and I feel like could have made a pretty good instrumental if the droning vocals weren't sprinkled on top. **

Go Out. Now we're talking. I really dug this track. The arrangement was great and simple. Didn't try to be anything flashy or "unique." Good shit. ***

Ice Cream Man was interesting. Early on it felt like another throwaway track but again the arrangement was so chill and I really dig the ambiance it sounds like the album might hold overall. After starting off terribly things are picking up. ***

Thought I Was A Spaceman was ok. Kept the atmosphere I dug from the previous tracks but I felt like it was a bit too long. I really feel like most of this album is gonna have me wanting the lyrics stripped just so I can enjoy the music. **

I Broadcast was a fun little song. Quick and catchy enough. ***

My Terracotta Heart was great. In a weirdly inconsistent collection of tracks so far it stood out as the first "real" song. Not that every song has to be deep or anything but it all came together here in a really good track. Loved it. ****

There Are Too Many of Us was an average track. Nothing offensive but nothing really stood out either. Another simple song that works on a first listen. ***

Ghost Ship was another really fun track. The super simple arrangements are really clicking with me and again, love the atmosphere here. ****

Pyongyang is up there with MTH as my fav track. They're kinda similar but the overall album has a theme here and it works. ****

Ong Ong was an adorable little tune. It's kind of peppy upbeatedness was cool following Pyong. ****

Ok. Mirrorball is my favorite track on a first pass. This is my kind of shit right here. Idk what the obsession with the delay pedals on this album was but that atmosphere I keep talking about got wrapped up perfectly with this closing track. So good. *****

Overall I'd say it was a good album. Blur really isn't my thing and I would have never sought this album out if not for this thread. It started off so fucking goofy that I thought it was going to be like a nostalgic 90's pop album but it really picked up over the whole thing. I didn't look at the lyrics so on first listen nothing really seemed too dynamic that's gonna stick with me. And the SOUND of the album screams theme or concept but I don't know if there was one actually put into the album or if it just came together in such a way. So overall on a first listen I'd give it *** but upon diving into the album I might come away thinking a bit more of it. Good stuff though.

FUCK FACE

Status
      Country                    England

Whilst I was more team Oasis in the 90s, I still really liked Blur growing up. I saw a live performance of them when the album came out (something like Jools Holland) and thought they sounded terrible when they did Lonesome Street, and I was of the opinion these lads should of packed it in because they'd lost their touch. Nothing from the album that I heard previously had impressed me either.

This album was a lot better on the second focused listen; pretty chilled out, easy listening. Coxon especially was great, but I've always liked him. Half the time though I thought Alburn was an irritating distraction, because I'd be digging the music and then his whiny rambling and shit lyrics would start and take me out of it. Go Out is a perfect example, musically I like it, but the 'WOAH OH OH OH OH OH' and 'LO-O-O-O-O-CAL' stuff turns me off straight away.

No blow away tracks, but I'd say my favourites were Ong Ong, Ghost Ship, There Are To Many Of Us, Pyongyang. The songs I really didn't came for all came at the start of the album so it was a grower for sure. Not a patch on their old work either.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Just had it on in the background while I was doing some work and thought it was decent if not mind-blowing. My Terracotta Heart and Ghost Ship were the two tracks I immediately wanted to listen to again, so I'd say they're my current faves. I plan on listening to this again tomorrow morning so I'll post some follow up thoughts as soon as I've done that.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

WC's Fave Five Star Wars Characters Episode II: Attack of the Sequel~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Swamps
    Get out and kick their ass! Even if its Grandma!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I think this album is fine, but it really takes a while to settle in. I really don't think of much into this album at first, but the deeper you go, the more you feel the atmosphere and the tone of the album, and the songs feel more put together as well as simple and a bit more poignant. I've always liked Blur, and I was excited for this album. I thought it was a fine album, but I still feel like I was expecting a bit more from it. If anything good comes from feeling like moderate aggression I knew from Blur before kind of went away, it's knowing that obvious maturity is now apparent. But you can help but to feel like there could have been a bit more coming from this triumphant return.

Lonesome Street is okay as an opener for that kind of album, but man, the songs following only make for decent background noise. Didn't really care for a song up until Ice Cream Man, and I just think that song was decent. But yeah, it gets really enjoyable up to Ghost Ship, My Terracotta Heart, and Pyongyang. I'm glad everyone likes Pyongyang. That's the song I've probably listened to the most.

I kind of agree with Ed's sentiments about Albarn too. I love Albarn, but it just feels like Albarn takes too much of the attention for what's a mighty comeback album. You should listen to "Everyday Robots" from Albarn that came out last year. Thought I do think the Magic Whip is a fine album.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    People Obsessed With Nicky: RainShaker, indyfan
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Dammit, Ed said most of the same stuff as me.

I'm not keen on music that tries to be all political and satirical, titles like Pyongyang and New World Towers piss me off rather than galvanise me to go protest bare foot outside the Houses of Parliament. I'm also not into Japanese and Asian culture at all, so I thought I'd hate this based on the cover and Blurs tendency to explore weird styles.

That being said, pretty pleasant all round. Actually thought Albarn was the worst part of it, a lot of 'ah ah ah la la la na na na' lyrics, which is just plain shite. The music behind it was excellent though, spacey but relaxing and catchy at the same time which is a lethal combination. Once you get past the 'you must like us because we're blur' self flagellation, I'd happily listen to the album again.

Best Track 'Go Out'
    Worst Track 'Thought I Was A Spaceman'
    Rating - 74 / 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    Dammit, Ed said most of the same stuff as me.

I'm not keen on music that tries to be all political and satirical, titles like Pyongyang and New World Towers piss me off rather than galvanise me to go protest bare foot outside the Houses of Parliament. I'm also not into Japanese and Asian culture at all, so I thought I'd hate this based on the cover and Blurs tendency to explore weird styles.

That being said, pretty pleasant all round. Actually thought Albarn was the worst part of it, a lot of 'ah ah ah la la la na na na' lyrics, which is just plain shite. The music behind it was excellent though, spacey but relaxing and catchy at the same time which is a lethal combination. Once you get past the 'you must like us because we're blur' self flagellation, I'd happily listen to the album again.

Best Track 'Go Out'
    Worst Track 'Thought I Was A Spaceman'
    Rating - 74 / 100
    Good little review. Just curious though, how did you come up with 74/100? Was there any criteria used?

I FIXED THEM NOW SUCK ME

Status

Nah, I just like 100 scores, especially if we're doing this for a while. 7.4/10, 3.5 stars or 355/480 if you prefer.

Who recommended this? I'm gunna guess Steve himself
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Truthfully Duke I probably did a boner at times. I took School after I was held back in the 3rd Grade seriously maybe too seriously at times. I wished I would of enjoyed it a bit more. I think my path is still being made to be honest.

Fantrax Premiership \ Fantrax Division 1

WC Fantrax Premiership

2014 - 20/12/5 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2015 - 21/14/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall
    2016 - 21/14/1 - 1st in Regular Season, 2nd Overall
    2017 - 20/15/1 - 3rd in Regular Season, Tied 3rd Overall

THE 559

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Was yo boy Tig, hollla of you hear me.

do we review our own picks?