Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Flag Discussion

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Confederate Flag Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Indeed a dark day for America. People feeling entitled to run the lives of others can't do it anymore.

Rip

ily
    Nobody was trying to run other peoples lives.

It was merely an issue of State's Rights.

Kind of funny that more State's Rights were taken away this week with the unwarranted and unjust attack on the Flag of Northern Virginia (known to you Yanks as the Confederate flag)
    Last edited by Dakstang; 06-26-2015 at 07:56 PM.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Re: Gay Marriage Legalized in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    Nobody was trying to run other peoples lives.

It was merely an issue of State's Rights.

Kind of funny that more State's Rights were taken away this week with the unwarranted and unjust attack on the Flag of Northern Virginia (know to you Yanks as the Confederate flag)
    Well it has more to do with the racist killings than anything.

Sent from Tapatalk, bitches.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post

Except when racist killings are performed in the name of Allah and the Koran. Then we are told they acted alone and are crazy.

One crazy white guy kills some people and they find a picture of him with a Confederate flag and judge a whole group of people by it.

#GrimLove

Status

Except when racist killings are performed in the name of Allah and the Koran. Then we are told they acted alone and are crazy.

One crazy white guy kills some people and they find a picture of him with a Confederate flag and judge a whole group of people by it.
    Plus the Confederate flag IS a d
    flag that was the symbol of slavery and racism. It's about damn time they get rid of it.

On Vacation

Status

Gentlemen, a little history lesion about the Emancipation Proclamation if I shall.

This was used as a war time strategy to cripple the Confederacy and only applied to the Southern States. Missouri, Kentucky, Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland all got to keep their slaves. The war itself was about preserving the Union, and the issue of slavery didn't become a factor until September 1962, yet even then, the Union States kept their slaves. So if you go after one flag, why not the other? I'm not suggesting, I'm being hypothetical.

By the "Killings", I suppose you mean, the Recent Mass shootings? Is that correct? If so, I've seen people blame the damn flag, guns (Molon Labe, Liberals, Molon Labe), medication, etc. Every Goddamn thing except for the pathetic bastard himself. Why? Why as a society can we not just accept the fact that their are some people who are just plain evil, and have no regard for human life? It is a sign of our society, that we have to find excuses for everything that goes wrong.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Plus the Confederate flag IS a d
    flag that was the symbol of slavery and racism. It's about damn time they get rid of it.

The Confederate flag is NOT a symbol of slavery and racism.

If some people perceive it that way then that is their problem.

The KKK uses the American flag. Nobody says that is racist.

Double standard big time.

Learn some history.

#GrimLove

Status

Learn some history.
    Deny it all you want.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Deny it all you want.

Accuse it all you want.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Slavery was legal under the U.S. flag for 89 years.

Slavery was legal under the C.S. flag for 4 years.

Which one is more racist?

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Slavery was legal under the U.S. flag for 89 years.

Slavery was legal under the C.S. flag for 4 years.

Which one is more racist?
    I think you'd be better off saying, "In the most simplistic view, the confederate flag isn't a representation of racism."

And you'd be right. The South didn't secede because of slavery. However you'd be ignorant to ignore the fact that the Civil War is remembered for freeing the slaves, and as a result the Confederate Flag is a representation of a racism. It's really no different than Bernie Madoff was at one time a guy who made a lot of people a lot of money, but no one remembers him that way now.

I mean, the Civil War isn't something we should be proud of. Neither is the CSA. Sure, you could say they stood up for states rights and their independence, but the fact of the matter is they completely failed as a nation, and for the most part set the south back 50 years.
    Last edited by Inogenius; 06-26-2015 at 09:51 PM.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post
    I think you'd be better off saying, "In the most simplistic view, the confederate flag isn't a representation of racism."

And you'd be right. The South didn't secede because of slavery. However you'd be ignorant to ignore the fact that the Civil War is remembered for freeing the slaves, and as a result the Confederate Flag is a representation of a racism. It's really no different than Bernie Madoff was at one time a guy who made a lot of people a lot of money, but no one remembers him that way now.
    Well to a lot of people Islam is a religion of violence and murder because that is all they have been exposed to in reference to it.

That doesn't make their assumption of it right.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post

I mean, the Civil War isn't something we should be proud of. Neither is the CSA. Sure, you could say they stood up for states rights and their independence, but the fact of the matter is they completely failed as a nation, and for the most part set the south back 50 years.
    I agree with you. However, some of those Union States still had slaves after the Civil War ended.

The Franchise

Status

Learn some history.
    Actually it kind of is... The Confederate Flag was brought back in use in the 60s by the Klu Klux Klan as a symbol of white pride, a symbol for the Southern states to keep their right to enforce Jim Crow laws to keep blacks in their place, and most importantly, to inspire fear in blacks, and white supporters of civil rights.

The KKK ALSO uses the American flag as a symbol to show their "wholesome" family values. No gays, no gay marriage, no interracial marriage... Hardcore Christian values... etc. etc. Essentially to show patriotism and their belief in old school American values.

Now, the issue is... Should the Confederate flag be raised in a public space (i.e. Government Building). The answer is a resounding no. It's a dead country and a useless flag that means nothing beyond the historical value during the Civil War when the nation was divided, and it's modern connotation of racial discord and hatred. In of itself... the first meaning... the "historical" meaning that you people flout... Why should the flag of a nation that NO LONGER EXISTS be flown in the first place on a public, governmental building?

Private property is a total different matter, even though I absolutely disagree with you Dakstang on what the Confederate Flag means, I totally support your right to fly it on private property. But... were talking public property. So let me ask you... if the Confederate should be flown in a public building, should the Mexican flag be flown because at one point they held half the nation... or the French flag... or the flag of the Republic of California........... Food for thought....

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
    Actually it kind of is... The Confederate Flag was brought back in use in the 60s by the Klu Klux Klan as a symbol of white pride, a symbol for the Southern states to keep their right to enforce Jim Crow laws to keep blacks in their place, and most importantly, to inspire fear in blacks, and white supporters of civil rights.

The KKK ALSO uses the American flag as a symbol to show their "wholesome" family values. No gays, no gay marriage, no interracial marriage... Hardcore Christian values... etc. etc. Essentially to show patriotism and their belief in old school American values.

Now, the issue is... Should the Confederate flag be raised in a public space (i.e. Government Building). The answer is a resounding no. It's a dead country and a useless flag that means nothing beyond the historical value during the Civil War when the nation was divided, and it's modern connotation of racial discord and hatred. In of itself... the first meaning... the "historical" meaning that you people flout... Why should the flag of a nation that NO LONGER EXISTS be flown in the first place on a public, governmental building?

Private property is a total different matter, even though I absolutely disagree with you Dakstang on what the Confederate Flag means, I totally support your right to fly it on private property. But... were talking public property. So let me ask you... if the Confederate should be flown in a public building, should the Mexican flag be flown because at one point they held half the nation... or the French flag... or the flag of the Republic of California........... Food for thought....
    It isn't just flown on public property to be flown.

It is flown at Memorials to honor our ancestors who fought and died for State's Rights.

Should it fly over a state house? No and it doesn't. Hasn't in quite some time.

As far as the Mexican flag, French Flag, or Republic of California flag, heck we will even throw the Republic of Texas flag in their for good measure, if they are flown at a memorial then I see no problem with it.

I just think it is ironic that people who say they are promoting unity are doing exactly what the turd who murdered 9 people wanted. They are dividing us as a people because they blame a flag for an attack some off in the head turd committed.

They are playing right into his hands.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
    As far as being "brought back", that is a complete and utter lie.

It never went anywhere so it couldn't have been brought back.

It may have been used in that manner but as I said the American flag was used in much the same way.

The argument doesn't hold.

The Franchise

Status

But that was the major issue, the flag is still flown in South Carolina. As well as Mississippi if I'm not mistaken... In a manner of these are the flags that have flown over our state... Texas has 6 of them... that in some areas are still flown as an historical piece.

But yeah, I totally agree with you, we shouldn't blame some flag, we should blame the guy that did the killings.

As for flying it to honor those who died for states rights... Trust me, nobody is more of a state's rights advocate than I am... but just like the manji/gammadion (the symbol that was flipped to become the swastika) has had it's meaning run into the ground, sullied and molested to represent something that's cruel, evil, wicked... We should honor those who fought for the Confederacy, for the right reasons, a different way. Cause the meaning of the Confederate flag was stolen and used to represent hatred and racial superiority/inferiority...

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

The flag didn't go anywhere. It was still used a lot in the South.

We shouldn't have to give up a symbol that our ancestors fought and died for because a bunch of dickwads used it offensively.

The American Flag has been used offensively as well.

There is absolutely no difference other than people not being educated about the Confederate flag.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

The U.S. Government never defined marriage so they have no authority to redefine marriage.

That decision should lie with each individual state.

Just another example of the dangerous movement of "interpreting the Constitution".

Our Founding Father's meant what they said. Leave the Constitution alone.

Modern activist Judges don't know better than our Founding Father's.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Sure, I can see supporting state's rights..but what if those state's are infringing on the rights of those living their, and those laws in certain states are unjust and corrupt and wrong? Isn't that the time perfect to make an example and allow the higher authority to overturn that, in the name of freedom?
    No. Unless it is spelled out in the Constitution it was left for the State's to decide.

Any time the Federal Government oversteps those bounds assigned to them by our Founding Father's in their infinite wisdom, our whole form of government is weakened and we dishonor those who fought and died so that we may be free.

That is plain and simple how I think about it.

The Federal Government had limits placed on them for a reason and deviating from the Framers of the Constitution plans at all significantly endangers our country as a whole.

Where does it end? No one group of people should wield such power.......and they were never meant to.

God Mode

Status

So no matter what, you believe the constitution should be upheld, unchanged, and kept exactly how it is for the end of time?

Sure, there is good to that. But a lot has changed since then. And to be fair, if you look at quality of life and how things were back then...this wasn't exactly the best place in the world then, either. Plus....this is a nation founded on bloodshed and tyranny, after all.

And you didn't answer my flag question!
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Thread Information