Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 25

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW G1 Climax 25

Well they announced the competitors this morning so I thought I better make a thread. In somewhat of a surprise they've only announced 20 names, earlier in the year when we learned there were more dates we assumed that more dates = more wrestlers, but they've actually cut a couple of spaces. Anyway here's the video announcing the competitors:

G1 Climax Participates:

Kazuchika Okada
    AJ Styles
    Hirooki Goto
    Togi Makabe
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Yuji Nagata
    Satoshi Kojima
    Tetsuya Naito
    Katsuyori Shibata
    Shinsuke Nakamura
    Toru Yano
    Tomohiro Ishii
    Yujiro Takahashi
    Karl Anderson
    Doc Gallows
    Bad Luck Fale
    Michael Elgin
    Kota Ibushi
    Tomoaki Honma

So probably the biggest news is that finally Michael Elgin is going to Japan, his wish has come true. Those that watched or followed the ROH/NJPW shows would of had a sneaky feeling that Elgin was in consideration for a place given the caliber of matches he was booked in. Personally that does nothing for me and I was hoping Roddy was going to get the ROH spot in this tournament.

At this stage we do not know the blocks. I was wondering if they would just split the order of the video in half when I saw Nakamura had been left at #11, but that means 4 Bullet Club members in one block, and none of them are AJ Styles, which sounds ridiculous. If that truly is the order then Block A is where the consistency in great matches will come from. I reckon blocks are coming out at Dominion.

I was sure we'd get Kenny Omega in this as well given that finish to Styles Vs Ibushi.

Anyway, Elgin news aside, this tournament is one of the highlights of the wrestling year, and given all the shows will be on New Japan World, I'm still super excited for this.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25

I'm glad that they have this current state of Elgin in the G1 rather than the Elgin from the past couple of years prior when he was turning into a spammer and a cliché act. He's still flawed but he's been a bit smarter and toned down in certain matches this year. I don't think he'll provide a lot of noticeable quality personally, but good for him for not only finally getting into NJPW, but a huge event such as this.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Totally agree with you, Ed. Who could possibly think Elgin deserves it more than Roddy? Where's La Sombra? Where's Tanaka? Don't tell me they couldn't have gotten him in. Basically this is just last year's Minus SZKG and plus Ibushi/Elgin which is a bit disappointing when the opportunity was there for a bunch of different guys. Then again no Omega which is a great thing, he's been one of the worst wrestlers of the year hands down thus far. Small blessings I guess. Regardless, I'm curious of their plan here in terms of scheduling with actually having less guys this year. The days of super shows like Night 7 Last year appear to be a thing of the past.

I doubt those are the Blocks as not only are BC all in Block B but both TenCozy and Shibata/Goto are in the same Block. It's rare to see partners square off in these tournaments.

Okada getting announced first over AJ: Spoiler Alert?

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

No JJ?

bad

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

The lack of outsiders, minus Elgin, is pretty disappointing. I was actually hoping ROH had a few additions to this year's G1.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Well, it's a given that Strong wasn't going to be trekking to NJPW anytime soon with PWG and Evolve dates on tap.

Who else in ROH would you give the opportunity to? I honestly expected Elgin to be the only guy NJPW would be picking from the bunch for G1, as saddening as it seems.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Totally agree with you, Ed. Who could possibly think Elgin deserves it more than Roddy? Where's La Sombra? Where's Tanaka? Don't tell me they couldn't have gotten him in. Basically this is just last year's Minus SZKG and plus Ibushi/Elgin which is a bit disappointing when the opportunity was there for a bunch of different guys. Then again no Omega which is a great thing, he's been one of the worst wrestlers of the year hands down thus far. Small blessings I guess. Regardless, I'm curious of their plan here in terms of scheduling with actually having less guys this year. The days of super shows like Night 7 Last year appear to be a thing of the past.
    Yeah you've picked up on something I haven't, what's with ROH getting an entrant and not CMLL? I'd have loved Sho to be in the tournament given that Komatsu really added the the BOSJ. Surely you could of added La Sombra and Tanaka and run with 22 like last year.

I'm totally fine with Suzuki-Gun not being in the G1, it would be really weird for them to pop back to New Japan for a month and then disappear, bring them back when New Japan needs them. Really the only Suzuki-Gun guy I'd miss is Suzuki himself and he's better off in NOAH not eating pins (although I admit I'd rather see Archer and DBS Jr singles matches than Anderson/Gallows singles)

You're right on those stacked days going; I imagine they're gonna run it like the BOSJ where you get 50% tournament matches and then 50% filler. It'll make rewatching easier as we can just skip the filler, but that takes away from how awesome the G1 is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Okada getting announced first over AJ: Spoiler Alert?
    Totally overlooked that in the video, that is odd and potentially foreshadowing Okada getting the title at Dominion.

Still Kicking It

Status

No Christopher Daniels? Ohhhh.

Seems like the last roster they had the last 2 Climaxes and they killed it. Makabe/Elgin would be a nice smash mouth match. I hope they give Iishi/Tanahashi more time. Last Climax, it was 5 minutes away from being a 5 star match.

Status

I'm counting on Ibushi to have a really strong outing in this.

I'm disappointed in the lack of non-japs a bit, and Takahashi and Gallows need to go away.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpool View Post
    I'm disappointed in the lack of non-japs a bit
    25% of the participates aren't Japanese, I'm not sure how much higher you could go on that quota. This isn't BOLA, it's Japan's biggest wrestling tournament so only right that it's mainly stocked with Japanese wrestlers from New Japan's roster.

and Takahashi and Gallows need to go away.
    Co-Signed, but let's face it, Takahashi and Gallows (and Yano) were in the G1 last year, and the tournament still kicked ass despite them, so it's not really going to effect things this time around. Really all that's changed is we've lost one great wrestler in Suzuki, for another great wrestler in Ibushi, Elgin's come in for Shelton Benjamin, and we've lost KES. I've grown more positive on this tournament the closer we get to it. Something that shouldn't be overlooked is New Japan's booking this year where some PPV's only had a couple of big matches, and everyone else was put into tag team matches. As a consequence of that, most of the big hitters have had only a couple singles matches this year so regardless of how the blocks come out, nearly everything is going to feel like fresh match ups. Gimme any Okada singles match which isn't Fale and I'm excited, gimme any Tanahashi singles match which isn't Yano and I'm into it, gimme any Honma match...........period.........I'm into it.
    Last edited by Ed; 06-23-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Status

Yeah, if you want to be technical, there are a bunch of guys who aren't Japanese in the tournament. It's a pretty damn good lineup though. I'm excited.

I'm not as negative towards Elgin being in NJPW as most people seem to be. I have this sinking feeling however that he'll face off against Naito again.

I'm optimistic that Nagata & Shibata will have some solid matches.

Relentless Admin

Status

Now I've caught up with Dominion, here are the blocks~!

A BLOCK
    ● Hiroshi Tanahashi [2007 Winner] (14th year competing)
    ● AJ Styles (2nd year competing)
    ● Togi Makabe [2009 Winner] (12th year competing)
    ● Katsuyori Shibata (5th year competing)
    ● Tetsuya Naito [2013 Winner] (6th year competing)
    ● Kota Ibushi (2nd year competing)
    ● Hiroyoshi Tenzan [03, 04, 06 Winner] (20th year competing)
    ● Toru Yano (10th year competing)
    ● Doc Gallows (2nd year competing)
    ● Bad Luck Fale (2nd year competing)

B BLOCK
    ● Kazuchika Okada [12 & 14 Winner] (4th year competing)
    ● Shinsuke Nakamura [2011 Winner] (12th year competing)
    ● Hirooki Goto [2008 Winner] (8th year competing)
    ● Tomohiro Ishii (3rd year competing)
    ● Yujiro Takahashi (6th year competing)
    ● Karl Anderson (6th year competing)
    ● Michael Elgin (debut)
    ● Tomoaki Honma (2nd year competing)
    ● Yuji Nagata [01 Winner] (17th year competing)
    ● Satoshi Kojima [2010 Winner] (14th year competing)
    I'd like to meet the guy who prefers Block A and ask them if they're being serous, seriously B smokes A. Takahashi is the only bad wrestler in B, whilst A has the three worst in Fale, Gallows, Yano, plus guys like Makabe and Tenzen who might have good matches here and there, but they won't have them with the three duds. Another problem with A is that the big match ups are ones we've already seen this year in Tanahashi/Styles, Ibushi/Styles, Styles/Naito, Ibushi/Naito; thank god for Shibata to offer up some matches I'm actually anticipated in Shibata/Ibushi, Shibata/Styles. OH AND OF COURSE WE'VE GOT TO HAVE TANAHASHI/YANO AGAIN FFS. For the benefit of the tournament as a whole, I think they should of switched someone like Fale for Goto so we could of had one more great worker in A to balance things a little.

Michael Elgin should thank his lucky stars he's ended up in B, his chances of having a good tournament just increased. I'd say I'm most looking forward to Okada Vs Ishii and Shibata Vs Styles.

Selected Matches:

7/20 [Mon] 15:00 @ Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center, Hokkaido Kitayell
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Katsuyori Shibata
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi

7/23 [Thu] 18:30 @ Twin Messe Shizuoka
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Michael Elgin
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson

7/24 [Fri] 18:30 @ Kyoto City Budo Center
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    () A BLOCK: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tetsuya Naito

7/25 [Sat] 18:00 @ Takamatsu City General Gymnasium, 1st Stadium in Kagawa
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yuji Nagata
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomoaki Honma

7/26 [Sun] 18:00 @ Hiroshima Green Arena
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Kota Ibushi
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito

7/28 [Tue] 18:30 @ Beppu City B-Con Plaza in Oita
    () B BLOCK: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomoaki Honma
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Satoshi Kojima

7/29 [Wed] 18:30 @ Fukuoka Kokusai Center
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito
    () A BLOCK: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kota Ibushi

8/1 [Sat] 17:00 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii

8/2 [Sun] 16:00 @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium
    () A BLOCK: Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano

8/4 [Tue] 18:30 @ Sendai Sun Plaza Hall in Miyagi
    () B BLOCK: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Hirooki Goto

8/5 [Wed] 18:30 @ Iwate industry Cultural Center Apio
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Togi Makabe
    () A BLOCK: Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito

8/7 [Fri] 18:30 @ Act City Hamamatsu in Shizuoka
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Yujiro Takahashi
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii

8/8 [Sat] 18:30 @ Yokoahama Cultural Gymnasium in Yokohama
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata

8/9 [Sun] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
    () B BLOCK: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    () B BLOCK: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomoaki Honma

8/11 [Tue] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Bad Luck Fale
    () A BLOCK: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Togi Makabe

8/12 [Wed] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Yuji Nagata
    () B BLOCK: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tomoaki Honma

8/14 [Fri] 18:30 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
    () A BLOCK: Kota Ibushi vs. Togi Makabe
    () A BLOCK: AJ Styles vs. Katsuyori Shibata

8/15 [Sat] 18:30 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
    () B BLOCK: Hirooki Goto vs. Yuji Nagata
    () B BLOCK: Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

8/16 [Sun] 15:00 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
    () Final Match: A BLOCK #1 vs B BLOCK #1
    Full schedule is up on New Japan's website, but the main story is each show gets the 5 matches from one of the blocks, and then the next night they move onto the other block and everyone else rests up in tag matches (or just aren't booked). That's going to make it so much easier to keep up with these shows as we'll only have 5 matches to really watch as opposed to 8/9 every night like it was last year.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Yeah, Block B is going to be quite the exciting one. A lot of quality and curiosity there. Only really curious thing about Block A is Ibushi's matches, really. The rematch with AJ will be tight, as will be the Shibata/Tanahashi matches.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

NJPW Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25

All I know is Goto vs. Ishii is on! And Ishii vs. Honma! And GOTO VS HONMA!

Funny thing is I watched this happen live yesterday (I'll have more to say on Dominion later) & my twitter feed was full of these guys saying how great Block A is and I was like "Block A kinda sucks." Block B rocks though. TBF, I see Anderson & Elgin as weak points as well. But besides them this should be called the man's division (+ CHAOS idol wrestlers)

The fact that they have Okada/Nakamura in the same Block and on the final night seems like a tipoff that the WK Main Event with Nakamura may not be as set in stone as everyone thought. In fact, in my pick em, I'm picking Tanahashi to win, I'll say it right now since Okada getting his WK win from Tanahashi is more logical, particularly considering Tanahashi's run as the ace is nearing the end, this year might be their last chance. Also don't think Ibushi's out of the question. The way Block B has shaken out has significantly enhanced my interest in this tournament.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Boucheron Baby Boi

Status

Yeah, I don't get this "Block A" sucks thing at all. lmao

Relentless Admin

Status

Yeah Nakamura and Okada having a match on the final day does throw a spanner into the works. I suppose there does need to be a final Tanahashi/Okada match where Okada comes out on top and gets his revenge on hashi making him cry, but that at WK for the 3rd year in 4? Gedo/Jado do love that match up.

As for Karl Anderson, I used to be a big fan of his in singles matches, and getting him away from Gallows for a month of matches sounds delightful to me. Of course in B Block that still makes him one of the weaker guys, but I think he'll be able to hold his own and have some good matches (like he had in the NJ Cup earlier this year). Elgin....well yeah, can't say I was impressed by what I saw at the ROH/NJPW shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizcoostin Club View Post
    Yeah, I don't get this "Block A" sucks thing at all. lmao
    Block A has got 3 of the 4 worse wrestlers in the tournament, and due to the new layout, the duds will have a greater affect on how good a show will be because 3 bad wrestlers spread across 10 matches is pretty forgettable, but they stick out a hell of a lot more across just 5. All these shows are going to have Yano match, a Gallows match and a Fale match; either we get a hattrick of all three in seperate matches, making 60% of the show skippable, or we get the potential worst match of the tournament bouts when they face each other.

I do intend to watch all the matches this year, but it's a safe bet that Block B will be the more enjoyable evenings to watch.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I can't wait to see how Elgin does, I feel like his place in the wrestling world is in Japan. He's worked his whole career for this and I'm so glad his dream is made. A year ago Elgin would've been premature, but now he's learned a bit more this past year and I hope that he does really well and gets a long term spot, just from a personal standpoint and he works a good puro finish. The ciampa bola match had me going YEET at the end. I can see the goto/Elgin match being quite the strong style match.
    Last edited by Brett; 07-06-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Don't forget A also has Tenzan & Makabe, who are way more miss than hit too. All 5 matches could in theory be dragged down on a given night.

I also have an alternative theory that I'm in no way advocating for and would be absolutely horrible but has an outside shot to be where they're going:

The final night Goto (it could be anybody but lets just say Goto because he's a bro) Nak, & Okada are all tied. Goto pins Nagata but Nak owns a tiebreaker over Goto. Then Nakamura/Okada go the time limit draw setting up Goto to win the G1. Zero marks out, probably cries. Then October comes and Nakamura's all like "I haven't earned a title shot but I did earn a shot at your G1 in the bank briefcase because I beat you!" Then of course Nakamura gets the title shot that way. (BLEH)

More realistically between Tanahashi/Nakamura, the winner gets a title shot, but the loser...seems to have a very uncertain path at Wrestle Kingdom. It's a really interesting tournament all around.

Still Kicking It

Status

Prediction: The finals will either be Nakamura vs. Styles or Nakamura vs. Ibushi with Nakamura going over. Iishi would also make a good choice to win.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tBo5d6Rn4

With the G1 days away, the wrestlers have started their public training rituals. Honma in particular had developed a new technique: The Smiling Headbutt of Doom...FROM 10 THOUSAND FEET

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information