Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 25

Indy Talent

Status

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25

I'm not sure how I feel about the way the cards are being structured this year. On the surface, fewer tournament matches per night sounds like a good thing. It gives the guys more time to recover and allows for the actual G1 matches to go longer, though that could could be a negative depending on who's involved. It's also easier for people to actually watch it, as I can see most skipping the tag matches and focusing on the G1 itself. At least that's what I'll be doing for the most part. But on the other hand, it's highly unlikely there'll be the same show of the year level contenders the last couple of years have produced, mostly due to the absence of the great 10-12 minute sprints that helped make those cards so stacked.

And this is not exactly a hot take, but this lineup is not exciting me in the slightest. Most of the guys fall into one of two categories: 1) poor workers who I legitimately never want to see again, or 2) stale workers who need to go away or seriously freshen up their act. There's actually a third category that I call "Michael Elgin", which is reserved for my least favourite wrestlers in the world who've inexplicably been given a spot in the tournament. There's only one guy in that category.

Honestly, take out Elgin and your two least favourites that are left, replace them with Suzuki, Strong and Chris Hero, and you've already got a much more interesting lineup. I'd have also much, much rather seen some of the young boys get an opportunity than half the ones in there. It's also funny how the one match I'm actually looking forward to, Styles vs. Shibata, is right at the start.

Despite my concerns, I'm going into this expecting it to deliver, and for the sheer volume of content alone, you can't go wrong at £20.

EDIT: Oh, and Honma's gonna get a win this time, right? Last night against Takahashi?
    Last edited by J.Lobster; 07-17-2015 at 06:17 AM.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lobster View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the way the cards are being structured this year. On the surface, fewer tournament matches per night sounds like a good thing. It gives the guys more time to recover and allows for the actual G1 matches to go longer, though that could could be a negative depending on who's involved. It's also easier for people to actually watch it, as I can see most skipping the tag matches and focusing on the G1 itself. At least that's what I'll be doing for the most part. But on the other hand, it's highly unlikely there'll be the same show of the year level contenders the last couple of years have produced, mostly due to the absence of the great 10-12 minute sprints that helped make those cards so stacked.

And this is not exactly a hot take, but this lineup is not exciting me in the slightest. Most of the guys fall into one of two categories: 1) poor workers who I legitimately never want to see again, or 2) stale workers who need to go away or seriously freshen up their act. There's actually a third category that I call "Michael Elgin", which is reserved for my least favourite wrestlers in the world who've inexplicably been given a spot in the tournament. There's only one guy in that category.

Honestly, take out Elgin and your two least favourites that are left, replace them with Suzuki, Strong and Chris Hero, and you've already got a much more interesting lineup. I'd have also much, much rather seen some of the young boys get an opportunity than half the ones in there. It's also funny how the one match I'm actually looking forward to, Styles vs. Shibata, is right at the start.

Despite my concerns, I'm going into this expecting it to deliver, and for the sheer volume of content alone, you can't go wrong at £20.

EDIT: Oh, and Honma's gonna get a win this time, right? Last night against Takahashi?
    i'm in favour of the card structure, as great as the shows were last year, trying to keep up with 3-4 hours of Puro wrestling every day got exhausting and the blocks just merged into one, the idea for one block a night gets a big thumbs up from me. Plus it gives the guys actual nights off, because even if they're in the 10 man tags, they aren't going to break a sweat in those.

Elgin got the spot by what he did in 2014 on the NJPW/ROH shows main eventing in the match with Okada and Styles, they already knew going into this years set of ROH/NJPW shows that Elgin was coming over for the G1 because they book it so far in advance. Elgin's matches against Naito/Tanahashi were a work out for what he can expect a couple months down the road. By virtue of what he did this year on the NJPW/ROH shows this year, and the RPW shows where he faced NJPW talent, I think there's a strong chance Roddy gets a spot in the G1 in 2016.

In a ideal world, sure it would be nice for Suzuki and Hero to be in this tournament, but New Japan wants to keep the two promotions separate as best they can and GHC Champ Suzuki is headlining shows on the NOAH Jr League tour that happens at exactly the same time the G1 happens, so it's a non-starter.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    i'm in favour of the card structure, as great as the shows were last year, trying to keep up with 3-4 hours of Puro wrestling every day got exhausting and the blocks just merged into one, the idea for one block a night gets a big thumbs up from me. Plus it gives the guys actual nights off, because even if they're in the 10 man tags, they aren't going to break a sweat in those.

Elgin got the spot by what he did in 2014 on the NJPW/ROH shows main eventing in the match with Okada and Styles, they already knew going into this years set of ROH/NJPW shows that Elgin was coming over for the G1 because they book it so far in advance. Elgin's matches against Naito/Tanahashi were a work out for what he can expect a couple months down the road. By virtue of what he did this year on the NJPW/ROH shows this year, and the RPW shows where he faced NJPW talent, I think there's a strong chance Roddy gets a spot in the G1 in 2016.

In a ideal world, sure it would be nice for Suzuki and Hero to be in this tournament, but New Japan wants to keep the two promotions separate as best they can and GHC Champ Suzuki is headlining shows on the NOAH Jr League tour that happens at exactly the same time the G1 happens, so it's a non-starter.
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of the circumstances, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. And all of what you said is New Japan's own doing, so it's not as if factors out of their control have made this a lackluster tournament on paper. They didn't have to book Elgin. They don't have to keep Suzuki or Hero in NOAH. They don't have to keep booking scrubs like Gallows or Yujiro. Gedo can do whatever the fuck he wants. Only he's not the genius people make him out to be.

And the worst thing about the cards only having five tournament matches a night is that they'll expect all of them to work long, when some of the guys have very little business being in the ring to be begin with, never mind working 15+ minute matches.

Even though I think we'll see the same number of high end matches to previous years, the overall consistency will not be there. And despite it being structured so that normal people can actually watch all of the tournament matches this year, I'll probably do more cherry picking than I did in 2013 or 2014. There are too many guys I have no desire of ever seeing wrestle.
    Last edited by J.Lobster; 07-18-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lobster View Post
    And the worst thing about the cards only having five tournament matches a night is that they'll expect all of them to work long, when some of the guys have very little business being in the ring to be begin with, never mind working 15+ minute matches.
    Eh, I think you're overestimating the amount of 15+ minute matches these weaker guys are going to have. The shows last year had 9-10 matches on, this year, they all have 9 matches again (4 undercard multi-tag and 5 G1 matches) so they haven't got this huge void of time to fill. A quick glance at last year's results seems to give an average match time of 12 minutes, there was a lot of sub-10 minute matches for the weaker talents, and really it was only the semi-main and main events that would go over 15 minutes if you were lucky, only the final went 20+. The average match time could well go up this year, but I see the noticeable increase in time going on the big, anticipated matches rather than Doc Gallows 5th from the top.

Let's have your predictions guys. I'm going for Tanahashi and Nakamura to win their blocks, with Shinsuke winning the tournament. I've also got Tenzan to go 3-0 early doors as there's always a little surprise to start

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I had Tanahashi winning once I first thought Okada would beat AJ (when they showed Okada first on the G1 preview), and had Nakamura winning Block B until they showed Nak/Okada fighting on the final night and saw that Goto teamed up with Capcom for his new gear and got mainstream publicity, that pushed me to pick Goto. But regardless, I think Goto/Okada/Nakamura will all 3 be around on the last night and Tanahashi will win.

I have Nagata to pull the Shelton X this year and start 4-0 and then lose out. Also in even more of a hot take I had the balls to call Honma going on a winning streak to close out the tournament leading to a push. (building to a NEVER title win at WK) I know everyone says he should beat Yujiro but to me that wouldn't mean anything. I want a real payoff to being one of the most popular guys in the company not some sucky win over Yujiro that kills his singles heat. But yeah, Tanahashi & Nakamura are definitely the two favorites by a wide margin. Goto, Ibushi, & Styles are dark horses.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

I don't know if I followed through with it, but I spent about 30 minutes yesterday convincing myself Honma was going to beat Nakamura in Korakuen I don't see that many wins coming Honma's way because I see him going straight into a feud with Naito after this that he won't be winning, so I'm not sure he needs to be built up that much.

I can certainly see Nagata winning 3 of his opening 4 matches, and I guess Nakamura needs to drop at least 1 match somewhere.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I don't know if I followed through with it, but I spent about 30 minutes yesterday convincing myself Honma was going to beat Nakamura in Korakuen I don't see that many wins coming Honma's way because I see him going straight into a feud with Naito after this that he won't be winning, so I'm not sure he needs to be built up that much.

I can certainly see Nagata winning 3 of his opening 4 matches, and I guess Nakamura needs to drop at least 1 match somewhere.
    I think Nakamura is a bit of a hot take but did go with it and think it's "best for business". Him beating Ishii and Yujiro can still work but him getting the upset win would get such a huge reaction and really put him on the map, much like we saw with Ishii pinning Tanahashi a couple of years ago. Plus I think he should win vs. Naito since Ingobernables are probably coming it would be better for Naito's new gimmick anyway imo.

The only reason I picked Nagata over Nakamura was because he lost to him earlier in the year so he'd be a logical drop. I can't even think of who else it would really make sense to lose to for Nak.

Here are my full standings I had after going through everything.

Spoiler:

A Block
    Tanahashi: 14
    Ibushi: 12
    Styles: 12
    Shibata: 10
    Naito: 10
    Fale: 10
    Makabe: 8
    Tenzan: 6
    Yano: 4
    Gallows: 4

-

B Block
    Goto: 14
    Nakamura: 14
    Okada: 14
    Ishii: 8
    Nagata: 8
    Kojima: 8
    Elgin: 8
    Honma: 6
    Anderson: 6
    Yujiro: 4
    Last edited by Zero; 07-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Eh, I think you're overestimating the amount of 15+ minute matches these weaker guys are going to have. The shows last year had 9-10 matches on, this year, they all have 9 matches again (4 undercard multi-tag and 5 G1 matches) so they haven't got this huge void of time to fill. A quick glance at last year's results seems to give an average match time of 12 minutes, there was a lot of sub-10 minute matches for the weaker talents, and really it was only the semi-main and main events that would go over 15 minutes if you were lucky, only the final went 20+. The average match time could well go up this year, but I see the noticeable increase in time going on the big, anticipated matches rather than Doc Gallows 5th from the top.
    On the money

Sod the undercard matches, I won't be watching them this tournament, but I'm striving to watch all the G1 matches and in Block A that's going to be quite the challenge to sit through.

Gallows/Tenzan - I tend to be negative about Tenzan throughout the year, but the G1 is where he tends to pick his performances up and drag his battered body through to some good matches, and the good matches will come later in this Block.........but they ain't happening against Doc fucking Gallows. Gallows is one of the most unmotivated wrestlers in the world today which is a shame because he's been given a hell of a spot, walking into a faction that was already a big deal and over with people, and he's stunk the joint up night after night.

Yano/Makabe - I will say this was better than I was expecting it to be, because I will take a shit Yano comedy match over Makabe's shit brawling matches and the match was based more around those vintage Yano spots. That being said, I don't want to see this once more in the tournament, but I know for a fact I'm getting the same match eight times in a row.

Naito/Fale - Well this was ugly, just the worst styles clash going with heel, doesn't give a fuck Naito taking on the Underboss trying to chop down this giant. I found it dull, slow, plodding, and I don't know what to say about that finish, what they were going for didn't make sense and was executed sloppily. If this is the standard we're getting when he faces Naito, Fale Vs Yano, Makabe, Gallows and Tenzan will be horrendous.

Shibata/AJ - Loved this, but man poor Shibata looks like the arm is causing him some pain already on night 1, that doesn't bode well. Right decision to base this all around the legs because you can't really touch Shibata's arm for an extensively work over, it makes sense for AJ to try to neutralise the kicks of Shibata, and AJ's got the calf killer in his locker. Match was just missing a strong final stretch to kick it into the next gear, but AJ is definitely up there as one of the best in the world at the moment.

Tanahashi/Ibushi - I've seen people rate this very highly as a MOTYC, and I've seen Zero rip it to shreds on twitter I'm somewhere in the middle heading more towards those easy to please viewers. I thought the opening third was dry and took a while to get exciting, but when it started to heat up, I was on board. Oh dear on that turnbuckle rana spot, Ibushi was miles off target with that one, don't know what went wrong there. Ibushi's inconsistent selling wasn't quite kushida bad, but it was still disappointing from the boy, you expect more of him. Loved the closing stretch though, insane stuff that had me popping all over the place. Will definitely rewatch this tomorrow when I'm not so tired and see how it comes off again, it feels like a match that's being hyped up because of it's last 5 minutes.

So for me, two good matches, and three bad matches, which feels like the ratio we're going to continue to get in Block A.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I agree with most of your comments, but I will clarify that I actually thought Tanahashi was by far the most impressive person on the show and was super smart to counter Ibushi blowing off all his standard leg-work by no-selling many of Ibushi's kicks, saved the match in a lot of ways to kind of sell Ibushi's leg being hurt for him. Sweet job and quick thinking from the ace. And they definitely had a hot finish, but after all of Ibushi's garbage I was kind of out of it by that point. But it was decent, not bad at all...very disappointing. Look forward to seeing where both men can go from here since they started off on completely different ends of the spectrum.

Thought Shibata/Styles was real good, but like you said, Shibata's hurting bad. I think that's going to be his "story" this year and I thought he was great selling the arm and incorporating that toughness into the match but yeah...It's hard to imagine him not breaking down sooner or later.

Relentless Admin

Status

Oh Tanahashi was great in the match no doubt.

It's been announced that BUSHI returns on the 8/16 show which is great news.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I seriously can't imagine a time where Tenzan was a good wrestler. I mean the flashbacks point in the direction that he was but fuck he's horrible. Even Kojima at an old age shows glimpses of a former star (I personally love Kojima).

just finished the first show and man does Block A feel so shitty. Luckily on the first night we had two good final matches but damn is it gonna be tough battling through those shit shows with Makabe, Fale, Yano, Doc and Tenzan. I haven't followed NJPW for a year or so, is Naito a heel??! What the hell was happening with that and the finish was ugly as fuck. I don't think I saw the same as other people did with Tanahashi vs Ibushi, yea it was good but was it Nakamura/Ibushi great? No way in hell, IBushi had his legs worked over in the match which was such a stupid idea as he uses predominately kicks in his arsenal and instead of limiting himself he just no sold the heck out of Tanahashis work. The German suplex spot was cool as fuck but idk I just didn't see the match in the same
    light as some of you guys. I still think it was the best match on the card but not MOTY by any means. The finishing sequences was great THO. Also Elgins debut in the Tag match was solid. He didn't add any negative to the match, more positive if anything. The crowd was impressed mostly by his feats of strength but I hope he can have a MOTN match with Ishii, Goto, Naka, or Okada. I could mostly see it with Goto for some reason.
    Last edited by Brett; 07-21-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Oh Tanahashi was great in the match no doubt.

It's been announced that BUSHI returns on the 8/16 show which is great news.
    I'm glad to hear this. Hope he gets more of a push this go around. He's a real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I seriously can't imagine a time where Tenzan was a good wrestler. I mean the flashbacks point in the direction that he was but fuck he's horrible. Even Kojima at an old age shows glimpses of a former star (I personally love Kojima).
    It was definitely a long time ago, but believe it or not he was actually pretty good. He's just really broken down. Hard to believe Kojima and Nagata are actually older than Tenzan and those guys are still pretty good today imo.

EDIT: Naito just turned like a month ago.
    Last edited by Zero; 07-21-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Tenzan's never done much for me. Occasional moments but even his younger days were generally disappointing.

There was a time when he was over as fuck though.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I won't say he was great, but he had some spirited performances against guys who were better than him and was a good seller too in his day. (Examples of this are the G1 Tag League final vs Barton/Steele where he was by far the best part of the match or his acclaimed match vs Tenryu) Really besides that tag, pretty much all of his good-great stuff was against people better than him but he's had too many to write him off imo. Even last year in G1 his match vs. Goto was my favorite of that strong tournament, and it wasn't a carry job.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Speaking of BUSHI, a guy who's been impressing me lately is Dragon Gate's La Flamita. That dude can work with precise.

Relentless Admin

Status

This happens to be going down on Finals night:

Ricochet will be doing the final Block A + B shows as well at Sumo Hall.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

So I got NJPW World to see if I can get hooked, watched Shibata vs. Ishii (which was absolutely fucking awesome) and then didnt touch it till I started chomping away at this years G1 Climax. Watched the tags to get to know the guys too, though they were all mostly meh match-ups. I wanna see Ishii vs. Elgin and Shibata vs. Elgin and Goto vs. Elgin at some point.

Doc Gallows vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan - Decent, mostly mediocre match, I was expecting Tenzan to get the victory here and he did despite being dominated most of it. Giving it ** for being not bad but not good either.

Toru Yano vs. Togi Makabe - I hear Toru Yano is a joke so, again, expecting Makabe to win here. Though I'm clueless about the disqualification rules here, are they extremely lenient, dude used a chair, and in the earlier match, Cody Hall outright shoved the referee down. I'll admit, I warmed up to Toru Yano across the match, particularly the RVD-esque taunt and duck under the clothesline. Decent match, preferred it over Tenzan/Gallows thanks to Yano's antics. ** 1/4 because Yano's antics made this more entertaining than Gallows/Tenzan.

Bad Luck Fale vs. Tetsuya Naito - Thanks to Ed's tweets, I was expecting this one to be a downright bore. And before I get into it, I can see how this would be the weaker block. Naito isn't wrestling in a suit is he O_O No he isn't His entrance outfit was bad ass though. Naito's the eye guy right? Bad Luck Fale is indeed god awful but I really enjoyed Naito here, his moveset and his mannerism and obviously his entrance attire. Probably my favorite guy of the three matches so far (and I might say of the show as a whole next to Shinsuke Nakamura, didnt get enough of Okada though). It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be once Naito started mounting some offense. I'll give it ** 1/4 since it entertained me more than Tenzan/Gallows, but isn't good enough for anything more. Aye, he did the eye thing!

Katsuyori Shibata vs. AJ Styles - After the Shibata & Ishii match I watched, I'm actually very much excited for this one. I'll go ahead and predict an AJ Styles victory. Shibata biting his own finger to lock on the sleeper hold was awesome. Dude's an absolute bad ass. He's also got a huge schlong e_e Overall, really enjoyed this match and its obviously match of the night so far. I'll give it *** 1/2 I believe. Good, nearly great match. Would love to see some more Shibata, and obviously AJ's good.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi - I pray this is as awesome as it seems like it is on paper. As awesome as Ibushi is, I expect Tanahashi won't lose this one. Holy fuck at that awesome standing whatever-the-fuck that was splash by Ibushi, really warming up to him. And holy shit was that german suplex from the outside-in awesome. This was an awesome match, really got better as it went on, though I was disappointed Tanahashi got the win, I sort of expected it with all the Cena comparisons, I don't see anyone besides maybe Styles, beating him. I'll give it a *** 3/4 since I really enjoyed the ending and started buying into the possiblity that just maybe Ibushi might win, otherwise I'd leave it on the Shiba/Styles level.

Shibata and Naito are definitely my favorites dudes in this block, with Naito my definitive favorite dude probably. Hopefully he fares better in matches against Shibata/Styles/Tanahashi/Ibushi.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Did some selective watching since I have a lot of wrestling to catch up on. I still have to watch Battleground. Decided to just watch Shibata/Styles and Tanahashi/Ibushi since the idea of Fale/Naito just sounds like torture for everyone and I don't really care to watch a Bud Light Lime fueled Gallows flop around the ring with a sub-par worker.

Shibata/Styles was choice. I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Really good limb story on Shibata and some prime showing of strategy from Styles. Styles is really good when he wants to be, and he's really wanted to be this year. Cool to see Shibata do more unique with-holding pain spots. Shibata is the best. Hope he can muscle through the tournament.

I thought Ibushi/Tanahashi was the tale of two different performances. Tanahashi looked like he was back in business in night one, as I expected. Ibushi looked kind of off and the selling was a noticeable problem. Something he knows better than. Wouldn't fear that Ibushi's going to be in a regression stage but man, Tanahashi looked super on his game and it's a damn shame Ibushi didn't follow. Still a good match, but too dragging and shaky to really get any steam to me.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

First off props to you guys for joining for joining in on G1 madness.

I will say to Jon, this is a whole new gimmick for Naito (stealing La Sombra and Rush's gimmick, who are his tag partners and faction-mates he just joined in Mexico) and I'm not really a huge fan of his as a traditional worker but I do have high hopes for him in this gimmick. Just thought Fale was a bad matchup to open up with. Him and some of the better and more babyface guys will show his true potential imo.

Will watch Night 2 later. Newsworthy upset that I can't say I was thrilled with though.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I don't see a bad match on the card at all. Even Goto vs. Takahashi seems pretty decent, gonna dig my teeth into this later on, can't wait to watch this Night. Funny thing, I was a fan of Ishii before even normally watching NJPW. The first japanese match I've ever seen was Kojima vs. Ishii at the NJ Cup 2013 and instantly I was hooked on the guy. I searched everywhere for his matches and eventually I settled in to all puro. Can't wait to see the rematch that brought me into puro on this night.
    Last edited by Brett; 07-23-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information