Thread: NJPW Dominion - July 5th 2015

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Dominion - July 5th 2015

Pretty big event in July happening for New Japan, rather than splitting the big matches across shows, this is the first one in a while where all the major feuds are on the same card.

Katsuyori Shibata Vs Kazushi Sakuraba

Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Toru Yano

IWGP Jr Championship
    Kenny Omega Vs The Winner of BOSJ '15

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    The Kingdom Vs Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows

NEVER Championship
    Togi Makabe Vs Tomohiro Ishii

IWGP IC Championship
    Hirooki Goto Vs Shinsuke Nakamura

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    AJ Styles Vs Kazuchika Okada

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: NJPW Dominion - July 5th 2015

First of all, really like the look and color scheme of the Dominion graphic. Spiffy.

Shibata/Sakuraba's the fresh matchup and could be pretty sweet, though more likely will be 8 minutes.

It's rare a match has such low expectations that a "DUD" rating will be considered a small victory. And yet on this show there's THREE matches where that could be true here! How happy I'll be when the day comes when I never see another of either of those tag teams again. I'm absolutely dreading that especially, like everyone is probably.

Ishii/Makabe is gonna be like soul food, the base hard hitting Ishii match.

Goto/Nak could be pretty great. Hopefully they go all out and have a great match, Goto's been motivated even in these tag matches and stuff so I'm hoping for an upgrade over their May match.

Styles/Okada, it should be pretty cool barring Bullet Club craziness. Looking forward to it.

So probably half the matches have good upside, but all the rematches aren't exciting me and where's Ibushi at?

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm digging the three title rematches. And also Sakuraba/Shibata will rule.

I'm fucking done with Kingdom/Bullet Club though.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    It's rare a match has such low expectations that a "DUD" rating will be considered a small victory. And yet on this show there's THREE matches where that could be true here! How happy I'll be when the day comes when I never see another of either of those tag teams again. I'm absolutely dreading that especially, like everyone is probably.
    And this is before a Jr's tag match gets added also!

I don't know what Ibushi will be doing, he hasn't had a match in New Japan since that tag with Naito, Tanaka and Komatsu. I'm not sure he'll be on the show at all with zero build.

Status

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 25

NJPW “Road to DOMINION”, 6/28/2015 [Sun] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo

(1) Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Jay White

(2) Tiger Mask IV vs. Sho Tanaka
    (3) Jushi Thunder Liger vs. David Finlay
    (4) Mascara Dorada vs. Yohei Komatsu
    (5) Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Yuji Nagata & Captain New Japan
    (6) Tetsuya Naito, Manabu Nakanishi & KUSHIDA vs. Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Kenny Omega
    (7) Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi
    (8) Special Elimination Match: Hirooki Goto, Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Katsuyori Shibata & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI

NJPW “Road to DOMINION”, 7/3/2015 [Fri] 18:30 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
    (1) Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka vs. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish
    (2) Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV vs. Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Mascara Dorada
    (3) Hiroyoshi Tanahashi, Satoshi Kojima & Jay White vs. Bad Luck Fale, Kenny Omega & Cody Hall
    (4) KUSHIDA & Captain New Japan vs. Kenny Omega & Yujiro Takahashi
    (5) Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Gedo
    (6) Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata [FREE] & Tomoaki Honma [FREE] vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazushi Sakuraba [FREE] & YOSHI-HASHI
    (7) Special 10 Man Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada, Matt Taven, Mike Bennett, Rocky Romero & Barreta w/ Maria Kanellis vs. AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Matt & Nick Jackson w/ Amber Gallows

NJPW “DOMINION 7.5 in OSAKA-JO HALL”, 7/5/2015 [Sun] 16:00 @ Osaka-Jo Hall
    (1) IWGP Junior Tag Championship 3WAY Match: [42nd Champions] “Young Bucks” Matt & Nick Jackson vs. [Challengers] “RPG Vice” Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. [Challengers] “reDRagon” Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish
    ~ 1st title defense.

(2) Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale
    (3) Special Single Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    (4) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [70th Champion] Kenny Omega vs. [Challenger/Winner of BOSJ XXII] KUSHIDA
    ~ 4th title defense.

(5) NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [8th Champion] Togi Makabe vs. [Challenger] Tomohiro Ishii
    ~ 1st title defense.

(6) IWGP Tag Championship Match: [67th Champions] Mike Bennett & Matt Taven vs. [Challengers] Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
    ~ 1st title defense.

(7) Special Single Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano
    (8) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [11th Champion] Hirooki Goto vs. [Challenger] Shinsuke Nakamura
    ~ 1st title defense.

(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [62nd Champion] AJ Styles vs. [Challenger] Kazuchika Okada
    ~ 2nd title defense.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

So Dominion is tomorrow morning guys, probably the most anticipated New Japan show since Wrestle Kingdom. Thought I'd throw together a preview for the show running down my thoughts:

IWGP Jr Tag Team Titles: Young Bucks (c) Vs RPG Vice Vs reDRagon
    - This is your standard Jr Tag Team match, no rhyme or reason for this match happening other than Gedo and Jado want the titles defended every PPV. I had to look up who the current champions were, that's how insignificant these titles are. If you enjoy the Young Bucks and haven't seen much New Japan before, then you'll think this match is great, but the rest of us are on our 23rd re-run of these teams opening up New Japan shows and the appeal has worn off. As much as I like RPG Vice and reDRagon in ROH, I just can't enjoy them in this division because the booking is so stagnate.
    - Prediction - Young Bucks to retain

Tetsuya Naito and Tomoaki Honma Vs Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi
    - This looked like nothing more than Honma's latest chapter against the Bullet Club underbelly when first announced, but now this is all about Naito and his recent shift in attitude after his tour of Mexico. Naito's been crying out for something like this for about 18 months after spinning his wheels following the botched main event push for WK8; suddenly a guy who had no buzz about him and was just there on the roster has some intrigue. Now he's got something going for him before the G1 starts. Regardless of the result, we're getting some kind of angle here where Naito disrespects Honma or even attacks him. From what I gather, Naito isn't popular in Osaka, so this could be the perfect time to pull a full fledged heel turn to maximise the hate from the crowd.
    - Prediction - Bullet Club to win and Naito to turn on Honma

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    -
    When Sakuraba first made Shibata tap out in that tag at Invasion Attack, I had a horrible feeling we were about to recreate Sakuraba's 2014 where the whole year was just tag match after tag match building to the singles match with Suzuki, so I'm delighted we're getting the singles match already and then we can move onto something else. I mean I'm into the idea of these two having a match with all their history to play off, but this doesn't need to be a blown out year long feud. Like any Sakuraba singles match, this has the potential to be either great strike based match, or a steaming pile of faux MMA shit.
    - Prediction - There surely can be only one winner with Shibata the only one of the two headed into the G1, and the story revolving around Shibata wanting revenge for tapping out. Shibata to defeat Sakuraba.

IWGP Jr Title - Kenny Omega (c) Vs Kushida
    - Kenny Omega's ironic gimmick of cleaning the Jr Division of all the rubbish has surely reached the point now where his rubbish performances need to be eradicated going forward, and Kushida is the perfect guy to dethrone him. The Best of the Super Juniors was so refreshing in that we didn't have to deal with Omega and his Bullet Club antics stinking up the joint, and the final in particular between Kyle O'Reilly and Kushida was a legitimate great match in a division that has been sparse of them in recent years. This should be Kushida's big moment in the company now, they have to pull the trigger fully this time unlike last year, and I think he'll do it. As much as I have no interest in Omega stepping up to heavyweight, you can't discount the seeds that were sown at Invasion Attack with him, the Bullet Club and Ibushi, that's gotta be heading somewhere (my prediction Styles Vs Omega at WK10). It's worth noting the winner of this faces Ricochet for a title match, and I think they're more likely to run with a repeat of the 2014 BOSJ final, with Kushida getting the win this time, than run Omega Vs Ricochet.
    - Prediction - Kushida becomes Jr Champion

NEVER Title - Togi Makabe (c) Vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - My initial reaction is 'this again?', but they've only actually wrestled twice over this title so far, it just feels like it's been going on for ages. That said I'm a little low on the hype meter for this one and I certainly don't want these two together in the same G1 Block. You know what to expect here, a high intensity big man match, which will at least be good with potential for better things. I really would like Ishii to win the title he defined and go onto some great defences in the second half of 2015, but I really can't see the title changing hands for a 4th time in the calendar year.
    - Prediction - Makabe retains.

IWGP Tag Titles - The Kingdom (c) Vs Gallows and Guns
    - I have ripped this feud to shreds in previous New Japan threads, and will continue to do so as it is the runaway 'Worst Feud of the Year' for me, and you know what that means, I think this is even more offensive than Cena Vs Rusev was~! This is the exact shit I come to New Japan to escape from, Sports Entertainment nonsense where Karl Anderson acts like he's a cartoon character who's besotted by another beautiful cartoon character and is so transfixed by Maria's tits and ass that he forgets he's in a wrestling match. There was some slight comedy to be had when Captain New Japan and Jushin Liger fell in love with Maria, but it just doesn't work with Anderson. Add three mediocre workers who are not impressing in this environment and you've got one car wreck of a program. They even brought the wives in for a 6 person intergender tag last time out, and it was horrendous. For the love of god, ENOUGH of this after tomorrow.
    Prediction - 10 minutes of garbage and then Bullet Club win the titles back.

- This apparently has been a feud designed to give Tanahashi's body a rest for the bigger events to come later in the year, and to be fair, there aren't much easier matches on the body than wrestling Yano who's all comedy spots. There is no need for a shock roll up Yano win here, Tanahashi should draw a line over this rivalry before business steps up in the G1.
    - Prediction - Tanahashi wins

IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Hirooki Goto (c) Vs Shinsuke Nakamura
    - I wasn't in favour of my favourite Nakamura dropping HIS title a few months ago, but in many ways this is a perfect spot on the card for Goto. If the ship has sailed on that IWGP Heavyweight title win, which looks increasingly likely, then a long IC reign filled with quality matches for Goto sounds like a decent substitute. It gives him a purpose and a higher spot on the card to display his talents, where as Nakamura is looking like the hot favourite to win the G1 Climax and a long overdue shot at the top prize in the company. I am 100% certain that Nakamura will fighting for that title next January so there's no point in him holding the secondary title anymore. Hence this rematch is pretty straight forward, Goto HAS to win, there's no positive to be had in Nakamura getting the title back.
    - Prediction - Goto wins what should be a great match

IWGP Heavyweight Title - AJ Styles (c) Vs Kazuchika Okada
    - This is all about Okada's redemption, after being so cocky in his WK9 main event where he lost to Tanahashi, and overcoming the big bad monster Fale in a series of matches, all signs point to Okada finally getting back to the top of New Japan. These two have had some underwhelming matches before in NJPW, both from a match quality and business standpoint, but Styles as champion in 2015 is a bigger hit than his first reign last year, so I think this will be their best match together to date.
    - Prediction - Okada's 3rd IWGP Heavyweight Title reign begins this Sunday.

Overall Thoughts:
    - This should be a really strong show from New Japan, especially considering that top two to round the night off in Goto Vs Nakamura and Styles Vs Okada. There's potential for other great matches too in Shibata/Sakuraba and the NEVER title match, and plus Kushida winning the Jr title and Naito's dickish attitude should be provide fun moments. I have my obvious gripes about the two tag titles, but I have those gripes every single New Japan show.
    Last edited by Ed; 07-04-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    So Dominion is tomorrow morning guys, probably the most anticipated New Japan show since Wrestle Kingdom. Thought I'd throw together a preview for the show running down my thoughts:

IWGP Jr Tag Team Titles: Young Bucks (c) Vs RPG Vice Vs reDRagon
    - This is your standard Jr Tag Team match, no rhyme or reason for this match happening other than Gedo and Jado want the titles defended every PPV. I had to look up who the current champions were, that's how insignificant these titles are. If you enjoy the Young Bucks and haven't seen much New Japan before, then you'll think this match is great, but the rest of us are on our 23rd re-run of these teams opening up New Japan shows and the appeal has worn off. As much as I like RPG Vice and reDRagon in ROH, I just can't enjoy them in this division because the booking is so stagnate.
    - Prediction - Young Bucks to retain
    I like RPG Vice, and reDRagon aren't terrible but I can't imagine anyone being excited about this match. I doubt I'd be excited about this if it were the first match between them. Don't like, but do agree YB gets the win.

Tetsuya Naito and Tomoaki Honma Vs Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi
    - This looked like nothing more than Honma's latest chapter against the Bullet Club underbelly when first announced, but now this is all about Naito and his recent shift in attitude after his tour of Mexico. Naito's been crying out for something like this for about 18 months after spinning his wheels following the botched main event push for WK8; suddenly a guy who had no buzz about him and was just there on the roster has some intrigue. Now he's got something going for him before the G1 starts. Regardless of the result, we're getting some kind of angle here where Naito disrespects Honma or even attacks him. From what I gather, Naito isn't popular in Osaka, so this could be the perfect time to pull a full fledged heel turn to maximise the hate from the crowd.
    - Prediction - Bullet Club to win and Naito to turn on Honma
    I do agree with this, but I can't say I see as much in a Naito push. Good news is I know someone that talks to La Sombra a lot and he hinted at being in the mix in Japan next year. If he brings the Ingobernables with him this could be an awesome turn. In my fantasy booked world what you said happens and then Honma gets a pin on Naito in the G1 to pissed him off good and really send him over the edge and it builds to a match at WK. Sadly it's more likely Honma just gets jobbed out as usual. Regardless, I think BC win here.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    -
    When Sakuraba first made Shibata tap out in that tag at Invasion Attack, I had a horrible feeling we were about to recreate Sakuraba's 2014 where the whole year was just tag match after tag match building to the singles match with Suzuki, so I'm delighted we're getting the singles match already and then we can move onto something else. I mean I'm into the idea of these two having a match with all their history to play off, but this doesn't need to be a blown out year long feud. Like any Sakuraba singles match, this has the potential to be either great strike based match, or a steaming pile of faux MMA shit.
    - Prediction - There surely can be only one winner with Shibata the only one of the two headed into the G1, and the story revolving around Shibata wanting revenge for tapping out. Shibata to defeat Sakuraba.
    I don't think it's as sure a thing as you they don't want to drag this out longer. Because otherwise where does Shibata fit in? He's not going to get a main title program, he shouldn't be facing Goto or Ishii (if Makabe does win that opens a bit of a door for him.) Regardless it's logical for Shibata to win so that's what I'm picking. But it wouldn't shock me to see Sakuraba get a tap, maybe even Laughter7 getting back together for a tag run.

IWGP Jr Title - Kenny Omega (c) Vs Kushida
    - Kenny Omega's ironic gimmick of cleaning the Jr Division of all the rubbish has surely reached the point now where his rubbish performances need to be eradicated going forward, and Kushida is the perfect guy to dethrone him. The Best of the Super Juniors was so refreshing in that we didn't have to deal with Omega and his Bullet Club antics stinking up the joint, and the final in particular between Kyle O'Reilly and Kushida was a legitimate great match in a division that has been sparse of them in recent years. This should be Kushida's big moment in the company now, they have to pull the trigger fully this time unlike last year, and I think he'll do it. As much as I have no interest in Omega stepping up to heavyweight, you can't discount the seeds that were sown at Invasion Attack with him, the Bullet Club and Ibushi, that's gotta be heading somewhere (my prediction Styles Vs Omega at WK10). It's worth noting the winner of this faces Ricochet for a title match, and I think they're more likely to run with a repeat of the 2014 BOSJ final, with Kushida getting the win this time, than run Omega Vs Ricochet.
    - Prediction - Kushida becomes Jr Champion
    Sadly, I think another match we could see is Omega vs. Ibushi at WK and if they make Omega a full blown heel into that having a title would give him something more to taunt over. But they certainly teased a face turn on Styles earlier and his future is definitely up in the air. Still have to agree on the basis that a loss here really hurts KUSHIDA. He needs to get the win.

NEVER Title - Togi Makabe (c) Vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - My initial reaction is 'this again?', but they've only actually wrestled twice over this title so far, it just feels like it's been going on for ages. That said I'm a little low on the hype meter for this one and I certainly don't want these two together in the same G1 Block. You know what to expect here, a high intensity big man match, which will at least be good with potential for better things. I really would like Ishii to win the title he defined and go onto some great defences in the second half of 2015, but I really can't see the title changing hands for a 4th time in the calendar year.
    - Prediction - Makabe retains.
    Probably because neither of their matches were that good. But I again agree here. Whatever the original plan was you shouldn't flip flop any title around like this. Will say my excitement for this is none. Makabe jumped the shark long ago and him dragging Ishii down isn't something I need to see any more of. Whoever wins I hope this is the end of the line for this feud.

IWGP Tag Titles - The Kingdom (c) Vs Gallows and Guns
    - I have ripped this feud to shreds in previous New Japan threads, and will continue to do so as it is the runaway 'Worst Feud of the Year' for me, and you know what that means, I think this is even more offensive than Cena Vs Rusev was~! This is the exact shit I come to New Japan to escape from, Sports Entertainment nonsense where Karl Anderson acts like he's a cartoon character who's besotted by another beautiful cartoon character and is so transfixed by Maria's tits and ass that he forgets he's in a wrestling match. There was some slight comedy to be had when Captain New Japan and Jushin Liger fell in love with Maria, but it just doesn't work with Anderson. Add three mediocre workers who are not impressing in this environment and you've got one car wreck of a program. They even brought the wives in for a 6 person intergender tag last time out, and it was horrendous. For the love of god, ENOUGH of this after tomorrow.
    Prediction - 10 minutes of garbage and then Bullet Club win the titles back.
    +1

- This apparently has been a feud designed to give Tanahashi's body a rest for the bigger events to come later in the year, and to be fair, there aren't much easier matches on the body than wrestling Yano who's all comedy spots. There is no need for a shock roll up Yano win here, Tanahashi should draw a line over this rivalry before business steps up in the G1.
    - Prediction - Tanahashi wins
    +1

IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Hirooki Goto (c) Vs Shinsuke Nakamura
    - I wasn't in favour of my favourite Nakamura dropping HIS title a few months ago, but in many ways this is a perfect spot on the card for Goto. If the ship has sailed on that IWGP Heavyweight title win, which looks increasingly likely, then a long IC reign filled with quality matches for Goto sounds like a decent substitute. It gives him a purpose and a higher spot on the card to display his talents, where as Nakamura is looking like the hot favourite to win the G1 Climax and a long overdue shot at the top prize in the company. I am 100% certain that Nakamura will fighting for that title next January so there's no point in him holding the secondary title anymore. Hence this rematch is pretty straight forward, Goto HAS to win, there's no positive to be had in Nakamura getting the title back.
    - Prediction - Goto wins what should be a great match
    Since January 4th Nakamura's been pretty poor though. I thought their match in May was struggling whenever Nakamura was in control (basically until the last 5 minutes when Goto got the crowd behind him) Against Nagata he was just terrible, and not only that it was the wrong time to half ass it against a legend getting his last big match. It really shows how disenchanted Nak is at being IC level too, but even in ROH where he should be inspired he didn't sniff having a great match. I think Goto will do his best but I don't think their match in May was great and I don't think this will be unless Nakamura decides to turn it up the rare for him second time in a year, in which this could easily be a MOTYC. Also there is a small part of me that secretly wants Nakamura to win simply because it'd be hilarious if they buried Goto again for no reason. But if there's any logic to this Goto should win. Also as far as Goto never getting a title win he's closer now than he's been in years. Outside of the clear top 5 of Okada, Tanahashi, Nakamura, Styles, Ibushi he's definitely the most over guy and the one who's getting the most consistent push. They don't go out of the box of those 5 often but if they did Goto would be who they'd turn to. (Unless Omega's in line for a bigger push than we think already, in which case God help us)

IWGP Heavyweight Title - AJ Styles (c) Vs Kazuchika Okada
    - This is all about Okada's redemption, after being so cocky in his WK9 main event where he lost to Tanahashi, and overcoming the big bad monster Fale in a series of matches, all signs point to Okada finally getting back to the top of New Japan. These two have had some underwhelming matches before in NJPW, both from a match quality and business standpoint, but Styles as champion in 2015 is a bigger hit than his first reign last year, so I think this will be their best match together to date.
    - Prediction - Okada's 3rd IWGP Heavyweight Title reign begins this Sunday.
    I do agree, but I will say their G1 match last year was quite good and this is likely to have Bullet Club stuff in it so I don't know if it'll be there best. I just wish there was someone fresh. Also think they were too hasty to get Okada back up there. When you really think about it, Okada being down actually lasted about 3 whole months before his title match got announced. To me a real comeback story would start at next WK and not in a World Title match right away. But whatever, this should be good and I do think Okada will win.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I hope we're not in for another 6 months of Laughter7 feuding, I think if the plan was for them to have a singles match a WK, they wouldn't do one here so maybe the tag reunion isn't a bad shout. Don't worry, I'm not getting my hopes up of Shibata winning the G1 like last year , I know he's not getting a huge push anytime soon, I just don't see more Sakuraba/Shibata matches after this one.

Omega/Ibushi is a possibility, but I don't see the belt in that horrid scenario, I think it would undo a lot of the great work they've done with Ibushi hanging in main events to have him fight over the Jr belt next year.

We're never going to see eye to eye on Nakamura <_<

As far as Goto never winning the title goes, I wouldn't agree in that he seems as close as ever. In the last year AJ Styles and Kota Ibushi have broken into the top 3 to make it a top 5, so that's his chances of winning decreases just in numbers of competitors alone, and then Nakamura focus seems likely to move from the IC title to the IWGP title. It would of been easier for him to breakthrough when it was just the Okada/Tanahashi years rather than the '1 of 5' era we're in now. I'd agree they seem more confident in booking him strong though, he got to lead his teams out for the 'road to' tag matches which I thought was significant, and I could see how someone with a bit more optimism would think that when this IC reign is all said and he could be given the big one.

I would agree that the Okada redemption story has been done quickly, but if his redemption happens at the next WK, he's gotta win the G1 to get into the main event which would be uninspiring for the 2nd year in a row. It's a shame they've got to short-change this angle, but they must feel it's needs must to get everything in place for the WK main event they want to run.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

NJPW Re: NJPW Dominion - July 5th 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I hope we're not in for another 6 months of Laughter7 feuding, I think if the plan was for them to have a singles match a WK, they wouldn't do one here so maybe the tag reunion isn't a bad shout. Don't worry, I'm not getting my hopes up of Shibata winning the G1 like last year , I know he's not getting a huge push anytime soon, I just don't see more Sakuraba/Shibata matches after this one.
    Thankfully it looks like we probably won't be. But I'm still not sure they don't have a tag run at least through the league. Plus it was a pretty great match at the end of the day too.

Omega/Ibushi is a possibility, but I don't see the belt in that horrid scenario, I think it would undo a lot of the great work they've done with Ibushi hanging in main events to have him fight over the Jr belt next year.
    Not for the belt, though I still feel like Omega/Ibushi would at least have a much better backstory. And then if according to your scenario Nakamura wins G1 and Omega faces Styles, Ibushi's odd man out in terms of the heavily promoted matches and that's not a good place to be either unless he faces Goto for the IC (Which is a possibility)

We're never going to see eye to eye on Nakamura <_<
    Another Nakamura big show match, another Nakamura big show match where he half-asses most of the match built around his opponent and gets outclassed. I Can't respect that.

As far as Goto never winning the title goes, I wouldn't agree in that he seems as close as ever. In the last year AJ Styles and Kota Ibushi have broken into the top 3 to make it a top 5, so that's his chances of winning decreases just in numbers of competitors alone, and then Nakamura focus seems likely to move from the IC title to the IWGP title. It would of been easier for him to breakthrough when it was just the Okada/Tanahashi years rather than the '1 of 5' era we're in now. I'd agree they seem more confident in booking him strong though, he got to lead his teams out for the 'road to' tag matches which I thought was significant, and I could see how someone with a bit more optimism would think that when this IC reign is all said and he could be given the big one.
    Let me clarify, I'm not optimistic at all. My point is outside of the box of main eventers he's clearly the most focused on and most over guy. In past years we've seen Naito & Shibata both ahead of him on the pecking order in 2013-2014 respectively. They had their chances and it didn't work. Now if the time comes whether it's 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 main eventers if Gedo says one day "We're going to do something different with the title" the next two guys are Goto & Ishii and recent booking suggests they're behind Goto much more. I'm not saying it's likely, but being the "best of the rest" is always better than "second or third best of the rest" in the pecking order. That's what I meant by saying he's closer now, feel me?

would agree that the Okada redemption story has been done quickly, but if his redemption happens at the next WK, he's gotta win the G1 to get into the main event which would be uninspiring for the 2nd year in a row. It's a shame they've got to short-change this angle, but they must feel it's needs must to get everything in place for the WK main event they want to run.
    Again, let me state that. If they wanted to do his redemption story right I'm saying he should have his first big non G1 singles win at WK, not win the G1 and main event WK right away. Him losing to Tanahashi was Chapter A, him losing to Fale was B, him overcoming Fale was C and...him getting and winning a title shot was Z. I think it would have been a much better and more effective story had there been more of an actual downfall than just losing to Fale a couple of times. Plus it really is just too soon for ANOTHER Okada title reign. Hashimoto had the title 3 times his entire career, Chono had it once. Okada's not anywhere near those legends and I don't care how big of a fan anyone of Okada is. He's had a 3 year "true" run in NJPW. Not spreading out these big wins are only going to hurt him in the end. It's inevitable.

-

Thoughts on the show itself, it wasn't that great, though Sakuraba/Shibata was and is surely a must see match. ****. The bad was probably as awful as you thought it'd be. Makabe/Ishii wasn't good. Makabe's a terrible pro wrestler as far as I'm concerned in 2015. Omega/KUSHIDA was surprisingly promising and then KUSHIDA pretty much went into one of the worst performances I can remember, blowing off everything. This was so hokey it was unreal. If he does this vs Ricochet oh my God. I'm going to hate this match. Liked the main event much less than many. This had a ton of shenanigans to start off and Bullet Club's reaction was so over the top and cartoonish...I know I said this about them a million times by now. But they're truly truly horrible. The wrestling afterwards was good, Styles looked great in particular, but the beginning derailed everything for me. The finishing stretch was really cool though, gotta give them credit. mentioned above I thought Nakamura put in a pretty crap performance and even Goto followed his lead for much of the match...

Then the finishing stretch happened. What a great ending to an otherwise slow, boring, and bad match quite frankly. Once Goto finally got control on the ending you could just see the crowd totally come around. Definitely saved the match. Plus why Nakamura appeared to tribute WAR-era Gedo on his entrance I have no idea. Don't even try to sell me that those pajamas were cool.

Like I said, Sakuraba/Shibata was a very strong match and I was thankful the right man won. Good job all around.

The only other question after the show was is Ingobernables Naito the best thing? Or the bestest thing? Loved everything about this and best of all was that Honma got the pin anyway! Can't wait to see this grimy Naito do singles matches. Party on, Garth.

10-man: **
    3 - way Jr Tag titles: **3/4
    BC/Naito & Honma: ***
    Sakuraba/Shibata: ****
    Omega/KUSHIDA: **1/2
    Makabe/Ishii: **1/4
    Kingdom/BC: DUD
    Tanahashi/Yano: *3/4
    Nakamura/Goto: ***1/4
    Okada/Styles: ***1/4

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Eh it's a day old now, not gonna do any big reviews or anything, but here's my thoughts on the matches.

- A Young Bucks triple threat made even worse by that retarded 'make opponents tombstone each other spot'. Opening 10 man tag was better.

- I thought the Naito/Honma Vs Bullet Club tag was fine, although it was all about the dynamic between Naito and Honma and how Naito just didn't give a fuck the whole match. Shame these two aren't in the same G1 Block because there's a nice undercard match to be had there and we're probably going to have to wait until September to see it.

- I said in my preview that Shibata/Sakuraba was going to go one of two ways, fortunately it went the right way. I loved this, I'll get onto the main event later but it's certainly in my top two matches on the show, Sakuraba's best showing since WK7. That rope break spot where Sak is on Shib's back, riding him like a horse, and he's got his two arms bent behind his back so the only way for Shibata to break the pin is with his teeth - FUCKING AWESOME. Great match, faux MMA done right, and the correct man went over.

- The Jr's match. Here's one I've seen split opinions. First of all, the footage of baby Kushida hitting moonsaults on his bed onto some huge stuffed toy wrestler was adorable and once they put that 'lifetime journey to this moment' piece together, there's no way he's choking in this match, we were getting a new champion without a shadow of a doubt. First half of the match was dug the hell out of, I thought Omega was fantastic as a dick heel and he was working over the leg viciously, and this is coming from someone who just doesn't see the fuss about Omega. And then that's when the match fell about for me because Kushida was really putting over the fact that Omega was causing him a lot of pain, he was screaming in agony whenever he was dropped on his knees, so why then a couple of minutes later does he stop selling his leg for the rest of the match. The stuff I've seen in other reviews and on twitter is utter bullshit claiming this is a MOTYC with brilliant selling from Kushida - is it fuck; he spends half the match crying that his legs are fucked, and then in the second half he's running around, jumping up the ropes no problem, kicking Omega like there's no tomorrow. You CANNOT do a match based around limb damage, and then sack it off to hit all your high spots fresh as a daisy without making everything you did at the start of the match redundant. The finish works because Kushida was working over Omega's arm at the start of the match and it's not a submission that Kushida needs any leg strength to nail, which would of come off a lot better had Kushida been selling like he should of. I'm not saying it's a bad match, but it's a good match that's prevented from being as anything better because of Kushida's disappointing performance. I'm sure the lad will do much better in future defences and I'm happy he's the new champion.

- Makabe/Ishii was ok but these guys against each other doesn't do a fat lot for me, Ishii needs to move onto something fresh (oh hai G1)

- I skipped the Tag Title Match as I was short on time. I googled pictures of women's asses this morning for about 10 seconds this morning so I reckon I got the gist of this match anyway.

- Tanahashi/Yano. Erm, it was fine for a Yano match I guess. Man this show had a bad middle.

- Goto/Nakamura. I liked it and thought it got really great in the finishing stretch, but the overall match was nothing special and I preferred their encounter last time out. Ninja Nakamura ftw though, only he could pull that off.

- Styles/Okada was a tale of two matches. Everything up until the Bullet Club getting thrown out was lame as fuck and quite possibly the most annoyed I have ever been by the presence of these ***** in New Japan (WHY MUST YOUNG BUCKS BE IN OR AROUND THE RING FOR HALF THE SHOW?), and then when Styles and Okada got to start their match for real........it was fantastic, I mean what a crazy crescendo at the end with the rainmaker counters and then the one that decapitated Styles. However because I detested the first third of the match............I've got no idea how to rate this one, a real love/hate match.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Wow great minds think & time alike.

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO PUT OVER NAKAMURA'S PAJAMAS!

Still Kicking It

Status

Dominion was a good show, not a great one. Iishi vs. Makabe was a nice, sloppy brawl. Okada vs. AJ Styles was a 5 star match. Nice to see the old AJ back, doing that springboard senton. I think we're bound for a Naito heel turn after the way he treated Honma.

Thread Information