Thread: NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2015

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2015

1) Intercontinental Championship Hirooki Goto VS Shinsuke Nakamura
    2) YOSHI-HASHI/Kazuchika Okada VS Yujiro Takahashi/A.J. Styles
    3) Katsuyori Shibata/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Togi Makabe VS Kazushi Sakuraba/Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii
    4) Maria Kanellis/Michael Bennett/Matt Taven VS Amber O’Neil/Doc Gallows/”The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson
    5) IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship Kenny Omega vs. Alex Shelley
    6) IWGP Jr. Tag Team Titles RPG Vice vs. reDRagon vs. Young Bucks
    7) Tomoaki Honma/Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan VS Cody Hall/Tama Tonga/Bad Luck Fale
    8) Sho Tanaka/Tetsuya Naito VS Yohei Komatsu/Kota Ibushi
    9) Mascara Dorada/Tiger Mask/Jushin Thunder Liger/Yuji Nagata VS KUSHIDA/Ryusuke Taguchi/Captain New Japan/Manabu Nakanishi
    Well, that wasn't quite the card I was hoping for after Invasion Attack last night, they're going crazy with these tag matches at the moment and just putting one match out there as the draw to watch the show. Ishii Vs Makabe is happening a few days earlier on a different show called Wrestling Hinokuni, and Styles Vs Okada isn't happening until Dominion in July~!

I don't think I've ever seen a match involving women in New Japan, that 6 person tag sounds terrible.

Yay for Nakamura/Goto though, and match 8 with the young lions having Naito and Ibushi as their partners sounds like it has great potential.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - 3rd May 2015

Yeah Maria for all her beauty is going to really hurt that six man tag with the lack of Wrestling abilities in the ring. I think Amber used to wrestle for Shimmer so she can get it done in the ring if you get my drift.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    Yeah Maria for all her beauty is going to really hurt that six man tag with the lack of Wrestling abilities in the ring. I think Amber used to wrestle for Shimmer so she can get it done in the ring if you get my drift.
    It doesn't sound horrible just because of the women if you catch my drift.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It doesn't sound horrible just because of the women if you catch my drift.
    Oh I forgot you the hate The Bullet club got it. Not a fan of Matt Taven that Midnight Rocker reject, but I'll have to deal with it to see Maria.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

It's good that Goto seems to have broken out of the pack of the other midcard crew (Naito/Makabe/Shibata/etc.) as I was afraid he'd get stuck with those guys and he should be above them. Usually the question is "Will we see the good Nak like vs Ibushi who had a MOTYC, or the usual shit Nak like vs Nagata who phoned it in?" but that's the great thing about Goto. He gets good stuff out of people like Tenzan & Nakanishi so you know he's good for this.

It doesn't really matter that much but I can't say putting Ibushi all the way down to second on the card with Naito/Young Lions is my idea of keeping his momentum. And what happened to Golden Stardust!? Two months ago they're teaming for 1 match now they're fighting? Again, no craps given about history or logic. Also poor Dorada. Drags Omega kicking and screaming to a decent match then is stuck curtain-jerking again. Oh speaking of him, great. Another crappy Omega match where the finish isn't in doubt at all so I can't even be hopeful of him losing.

The card outside of the main sucks. No doubt about it. But the main should be pretty freakin awesome by all accounts. This seems like another "test" card for those two on top in terms of drawing power. Will we see another faux-sellout? Oh and the women: The last girl to wrestle in NJPW was Chyna in 2002 who wrestled guys. *shudders* I have nightmares about Crazy Inoki's booking.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Results:

1. Yuji Nagata, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Máscara Dorada beat Manabu Nakanishi, Captain New Japan, Ryusuke Taguchi & KUSHIDA (8:29)

2. Kota Ibushi & Yohei Komatsu beat Tetsuya Naito & Sho Tanaka (11:55)

3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma beat Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall (8:57)

4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson beat Rocky Romero & Barreta (c) and Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly (17:17)

5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega (c) beat Alex Shelley (16:07)

6. Special Six Person Tag Match: Michael Bennett, Matt Taven & Maria Kanellis beat Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Amber Gallows (8:09)

7. Special Six Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Katsuyori Shibata beat Kazushi Sakuraba, Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii (15:52)

8. Special Tag Match: AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi beat Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI (13:20)

9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hirooki Goto beat Shinsuke Nakamura (c) (20:53)
    Show was ok for the most part, only a few low points, but not many high ones either. The main event was very good but it doesn't really enter the MOTYC territory like some of the NJPW main events this year. Goto winning is great because it's a title match he didn't choke in and I think they're playing a very long game in booking the IWGP title which started tonight because I'm convinced they want Nakamura to be the transitional champion who drops the title to Ibushi in their trilogy. Either Nakamura's winning the G1, faces Okada at WM10 and they hold off on Ibushi's win until this time next year, or they're really gonna run through these title changes and have Ibushi win the G1, Nakamura beat Okada in the fall, and main event WK10 with Nakamura Vs Ibushi III. Some sort of scenario like that will happen!

Fuck the Young Bucks winning again.

A word on how shit the Bullet Club/Kingdom match was. It was horrific. Anderson spent the match really distracted by the beauty of Maria, so much so he forgot for the first time ever to do his machine gun taunt along to the SFX during his entrance. Everyone dicked about for 10 minutes until Maria rolled up Amber for the win. Post match Gallows wanted to attack Maria, Anderson wouldn't let him, and then SWERVE they double team her. I don't know what Gedo thinks this is achieving making the leader of his #1 heel stable act like he's never seen a woman before, the jap crowds don't react to these angles at all, it was crickets out there, and the american fans who tune into New Japan do so to escape this type of bullshit, they want quality wrestling. Who is the target audience here? What I will say though is Maria's ring entrance needs to be seen because it's the most ridiculous camera work you'll see in this day and age, it's like Maria didn't have a face.

Check out the main event and the tag with Ibushi, Naito and the young lions tag.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

That theory about the title sounds good and all, my only problem is I would prefer Styles keep the title and lose to Nak since it's a fresher matchup and Okada desperately needs to do something different for awhile than stay on top. Also the predictability of it kinda gets to me a little. Hope there are a few twists in the road at least.

Thought the opening 8-man was the unexpected 2nd best match on the show. Everyone worked surprisingly hard (even Nakanishi) and there was an absolutely phenomenal exchange between KUSHIDA & Dorada and I can't wait for them to have a long match for BOSJ that should be nothing short of awesome.

Speaking of the juniors, The 3 way tag has long worn out it's welcome and somehow RPG Vice has been dragged down to the other teams' level of feeling incredibly stale.

Biggest story was 100% proof God hasn't left us yet, when Omega announced he wouldn't wrestle in BOSJ. Sanity restored after yet another crappy Omega match. (If you thought he turned a corner after looking pretty okay last month vs Dorada and his character work after the ME: He still sucks.)

The tag was okay, it's just I've seen this match so many times it's kind of losing it's luster. It's time for something for Tanaka/Komatsu to get those learning excursions out of the way and I really don't have much interest in Ibushi/Naito wrestling for no reason and I still want Golden Stardust. (Just to say the tag team division really REALLY needs a revamp, along with the juniors)

The main was good. Definitely not a MOTY or anything. Right around the level of Ibushi/Goto, Ibushi/Styles. Nak didn't seemed too interested at all, seemed to be going through the motions a bit similar to his Nagata match. Goto looked like a total BEAST during the finishing run though. Lots of intensity and burst really came through and he looked excited. Made the match significantly better, at least more satisfying. The right man won as well as it sets up the scenario Ed said perfectly. Plus Goto at least has something to hold onto now. Good on him.

Overall I would recommend the main event. Nothing else outside of the Dorada/KUSHIDA and some fun Nagata-ness really felt like anything at all. And the tag and both Jrs. matches were flat out awful. They really gave the main NOTHING to work with on the undercard. A good sign for Nakamura's overness that they were able to pack this place, as well as good for Goto's popularity that he held enough interest as an opponent despite everything to "hold the line".

Snowflakes:
    8-man: **3/4
    Ibushi/Komatsu vs. Naito/Tanaka: **1/2
    TenCozy/Bullet Club 6-man: *3/4
    Jr. Tag 3-way: *
    Omega/Shelley: *
    Intergender 6-man: -****
    Team Tanahashi/CHAOS 6-man: *1/2
    Styles/Yujiro vs. Okada/YOSHI-HASHI: **1/2
    Goto/Nakamura: ***3/4

Also of note the Ishii/Makabe match from Hinokuni: It also didn't set my world on fire. Makabe's not doing good work right now flatout and even Ishii didn't really bring his A - game for this match. In addition to the fact that he's hurting so bad. Hopefully a break brings him back with something new to add to his style of match as as much as I love him, he too is feeling a bit stale, like much of this roster right now imo. **3/4

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Did you forget to talk about the 6 person tag, or does 'minus four stars' sum it all up?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Did you forget to talk about the 6 person tag, or does 'minus four stars' sum it all up?
    You summed up my thoughts perfectly and the less said about it the better.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Man there were a lot of tags on the card. This was only my 2nd NJ card of the year, I thought it was good for the most part, nothing really bothered me on the show. Nothing jumped out as amazing also. I can't say I am a fan of Bullet Club at this point, one thing that bothered me is the Young Bucks just defended their titles, and yet are ringside for the next match I believe. They should at least sell that they've been in a fight. I least liked the mix tag as it was just a game of cat and mouse with Maria, too distracting, and the camera man perving over her all match was a bit OTT, even if she is hot as hell! I enjoy AJ Styles, a shame he wasn't defending the title, but the tag match was pretty good. I really enjoyed the main event. Surprised Nakamura lost the title, that caught me by surprise.

Good show.

Thread Information