Thread: NXT Set to Air Live Monthly Specials

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

NXT Set to Air Live Monthly Specials

The WWE sent out the following listing of original programming that will be coming to the WWE Network, and in that announcement was news that the NXT brand will be doing monthly, two-hour specials. Here is the listing…

NXT TAKEOVER – LIVE! – AIRS MONTHLY ON WEDNESDAYS The future is here. WWE’s hottest up-and-coming Superstars compete to prove they’ve got what it takes. More than just evolution, it’s a revolution! Witness these WWE Superstars of tomorrow as they take over WWE Network with live two-hour specials.
    I don't know if I'm in favour of this news. I'm not sure it's going to benefit the product by tripling the amount of Takeover specials we get in a year, I was really digging the 4 specials a year format.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: NXT Set to Air Live Monthly Specials

I agree

Every month is a little much

A Special every other Month, might be the way to go

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Hmm not sure if agree with this move. Maybe this and the proposed move to going on the road is further developing them for the main roster schedule and work load.

On Vacation

Status

I think I would prefer bi-monthly specials myself, as long as they keep producing the goods though.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

12 monthly lives defo feels like an overkill and could actually hinder NXT. Dunno if they will let stories build as much with a live show every month.

If they had to change a thing they should either have increased it to 6 shows per year or keep it at 4 and add an extra hour
    Last edited by CGS; 03-30-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Comeback King

Status

It is hard to say whether it will be better or worst. I am going to wait and see before going all-out. They definitely have the roster to do it though in my opinion.

On Vacation

Status

3 or 4 one hour shows to prepare for a special could be pretty tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
    3 or 4 one hour shows to prepare for a special could be pretty tough.
    That's a key thing to remember here, it's all well and good WWE building for monthly PPV's when they have 3 hours for Raw and 2 hours for SD, but NXT has just the one hour every week. TV would have to be dominated by those in the 4 or 5 matches for the special in order to get fans invested in the storylines and feuds, leaving little time left for the rest of the roster to leave their mark on the brand.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

SIX F'N STARS

Status

A little surprised to be the only one in here who loves this announcement. There wasn't enough NXT in my life. I know, I know... "too much of a good thing" and all but NXT has always felt like "not enough" more than it has "just enough" to me.

I also see this as the first in a series of steps being taken to make NXT it's own brand alongside Raw and Smackdown and I welcome the decision with open arms.

There's certainly a challenge in making the most of their time and keeping things feeling special but NXT hasn't given me a reason to doubt them yet so I think they'll handle it well.
    [save]

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    A little surprised to be the only one in here who loves this announcement. There wasn't enough NXT in my life. I know, I know... "too much of a good thing" and all but NXT has always felt like "not enough" more than it has "just enough" to me.

I also see this as the first in a series of steps being taken to make NXT it's own brand alongside Raw and Smackdown and I welcome the decision with open arms.

There's certainly a challenge in making the most of their time and keeping things feeling special but NXT hasn't given me a reason to doubt them yet so I think they'll handle it well.
    This is where I get a little worried about NXT. It's doing great now but are they trying to expand out a little too quickly? We have to remember that it's technically a developmental show. So if it becomes a seperate brand do people just stick on NXT? Do they start to mix more with Raw & SD or just stay exclusive to NXT? what about PPV's? Would it really then be "developing" new stars if it's on an equal level to Raw & SD?

They are doing a lot of little steps (venturing to bigger arenas, doing more shows outside Full Sail, now the increase in live Takeovers) I just fear that the success of the show may get to the company's head and they will begin to push it a little too hard and ruin its niche.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    This is where I get a little worried about NXT. It's doing great now but are they trying to expand out a little too quickly? We have to remember that it's technically a developmental show.
    To which Triple H would respond, "my ass." I know this because he said "developmental my ass" during NXT's San Jose event.

So if it becomes a seperate brand do people just stick on NXT? Do they start to mix more with Raw & SD or just stay exclusive to NXT? what about PPV's? Would it really then be "developing" new stars if it's on an equal level to Raw & SD?
    Hopefully they stay mostly exclusively NXT with a few guest spots here and there. And no, at some point it won't be "developing" new stars, because honestly, what they're doing now is showing off a lot of stars who are already developed. This is more NXT's branding coming to terms with what they actually represent - the best young wrestlers in the world. I don't see it as developmental anymore, I see it as a brand for the young guns that allows for youth vs. youth as regular and youth vs. veteran as special. It hasn't really seemed like developmental for a while.

They are doing a lot of little steps (venturing to bigger arenas, doing more shows outside Full Sail, now the increase in live Takeovers) I just fear that the success of the show may get to the company's head and they will begin to push it a little too hard and ruin its niche.
    I understand the concern but if there's any group of guys I expect to make the most of an opportunity, it's the current NXT writing staff and wrestlers. Added bonus is this makes running NXT as a brand easier in WWE 2k14, so... sweet.
    [save]

Status

While I agree this could become too oversaturated, I still like the idea to an extent. There are a lot of episodes of NXT with one or two matches that seems insignificant because theres SO MUCH time between the specials. With having these monthly, it could mean there won't be too many more squashes and it will make things even more important than they already are. That, and the fact that more frequent shows like this means quicker development and a more quicker stop to get to the main roster.

Dangle, Snipe, Celly

Status
      Country                    United States

While I agree that it is a bit much, really its only going to be an extra hour of NXT per month right? The live specials will take the place of the regular taped NXTs so at least it wont be the normal amount PLUS 2 hours. Unless I'm missing something. The other PLUS is that now we can schedule NXT title matches and not have spoilers (for the most part). Not really a huge deal, but its something to think about. I much prefer to watch these matches "live" even if I don't know the result, it just feels better.

I would prefer 6 per year, just as when you do it monthly, it might start to lose that "special" feeling I get when I watch. I don't know about all of you, but I will literally plan a whole night around making sure to catch it live.

EDIT: another plus, is maybe (I might be missing something) we can eliminated the whole "worn out crowd" thing that happens on these 3-4-5 weeks worth of tapings they have been doing recently. Now they can film the special one night, the next 3 weeks of TV the next night and keep the crowd from going crazy with the chants to entertain themselves.
    Last edited by STL Saint; 03-30-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=163831
    STL Saint Presents: The Wednesday Night War!

Curtain Jerker

Status

This will certainly take some importance off of NXT specials, and that's disappointing. With that said, they have a lot of really good guys and a lot of really good matches we haven't seen that we will hopefully now be able to see. It also should hopefully mean more rematches and personal feuds, as NXT has a lot of one offs or one big special match and then one or two weeks of it on regular TV. Especially with Samoa Joe, Uhaa Nation, possibly Adam Cole, Ciampa, and the Briscoes down the line, they have a lot of great talent to showcase.

I think the tag division and the women's division will be hurt most by this. The big four or five in the women's division are really good. Sasha Banks and Bayley leading the pack with Charlotte and Becky not too far behind. Bliss is green but quite talented with a lot of potential. After that, it's a pretty big gap. With that said, it's still a developmental brand and the women need time. Thanks to the specials being so far apart, the special women's matches still feel fresh even if it's mostly the same crew. With them being monthly, it's going to get more stale, quicker. And the tag division, plain and simple, isn't very strong. They could really use Shoot Nation forming, plus if the Briscoes signing in a few months really does happen that could add a pretty big spark. Tye and Jordan weren't really working together, but extra teams were always nice. Hopefully, Jordan breaking off means Shoot Nation stuff down the line and Tye can find a tag partner. Also, and this is important, they REALLY need to start using the Mechanics more. So hopefully that happens with more time to fill.
    When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Hmm. I'm now hearing reports that the WWE made a mistake in their press release and NXT Specials are set to stay at 4 a year (observer)
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Hmm. I'm now hearing reports that the WWE made a mistake in their press release and NXT Specials are set to stay at 4 a year (observer)

Yeah it's been reported that WWE has changed their mind on that and will stick with the Quarterly specials. Don't know what made them change their minds though. But I like that it's not going to happen every month.

Curtain Jerker

Status

my feeling is the 4 per year (6 maximum) is the best format.... Just look at the main roster, with a PPV every 4 weeks - RAW has just become a 3 hour weekly 'infomercial' for the next PPV...when was the last time something majorly significant took place on RAW... Smackdown has become redundant as Vince and his writers only care about the live show. I haven't watched and episode of RAW in years (the highlights on Main Event/Superstars are enough to keep up with what goes on). As it stands, NXT has the right balance for story development.... I would hate to see NXT go down the same road as RAW and lose it significance.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I liked the 4 per year format, gave it more of a special feeling. Don't know how to feel about this.

Jobber

Status

Glad they backed down to back to the 4 per year option. Way better imo

Thread Information