Thread: Baldwin Reviews Video Games

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Baldwin Reviews Video Games

Welcome aboard folks to 'Baldwin Reviews Video Games' - The purpose of this thread is for, well... Baldwin to review Video Games. I've played video games for as long as I can remember. As of writing, I've got access to only my PlayStation 3 & PlayStation 4 consoles and aim to use them to write my reviews for you. Reviews will be posted as and when they are done and I'll also be using my own rating system (It'll still have the premise of the *-***** rating system however they wont be classed as stars and will be ranked in accordance to my system.

So lets get on with it, shall we?

On the Agenda

PlayStation 4
    Far Cry 4
    The Last of Us Remastered
    The Last of Us Remastered | Left Behind DLC
    Murdered: Soul Suspect
    The Order 1886
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    The Walking Dead | Telltale Season 1
    The Walking Dead | Telltale Season 2

PlayStation 3
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    LA Noire
    Red Dead Redemption
    Red Dead Redemption | Undead Nightmare DLC
    South Park: The Stick of Truth | Review in progress

Playstation
    Crash Bandicoot
    Crash Team Racing
    Toy Story 2
    WWF Smackdown! 2 Know Your Role

Upcoming Titles (Pre-Ordered)
    Batman: Arkham Knight
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Sure, there are quite a few titles there for me to get through and lord only knows how long it will take me to get a consistent pattern going but it's something I want to aim to get done consistently so will do what I can. Hope those who do decide to take a read enjoy the reviews and banter that goes on and feel free to recommend any titles you would like some general thoughts from me on as well as anything else video game related.

Completed Review Archive
    Last edited by Baldwin; 06-09-2015 at 01:50 AM.

Status

Re: Baldwin Reviews Video Games

Nice. Looking forward to your thoughts on FC4, The Last of Us, LA Noire, and RDR.

Heel Champion

Status

Haven't forgot about this and just giving an update with regards to its status. I'm in the process of writiting up a review for the major release The Last of Us Remastered however, have also decided to spotlight some of the smaller releases, essentially the indy games. I've just finished Never Alone and am in the process of trying to work out ETHER ONE and should have reviews for these two as well, likely before I complete my The Last of Us Remastered one. If there are any other Indy games you would like me to add, please just let me know, if I've played it I'll see what I can fit it.

So yeah, this isn't dead and is still very much on the agenda.

Justice for Smarks

Status
      Country                    Norway

Interesting man. A contender for my review station. I know you'll do well on it, mate.

Status

This is a legit cool idea. Looking forward to it. Give us some greatness.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status

Okay, I've got a review coming up for you guys. I'm going to try and work this as AAA title followed by indy title and probably post two per month, depending on my schedule I may be able to bump it to four. Up next will be South Park: Stick of Truth. I've got a lot of notes wrote down and abputnhalf the review done so expect this relatively soon!

Heel Champion

Status

BALDWIN REVIEWS

How often is it that a genuinely good game comes along that is based off of a popular television show? Well, quite often to be perfectly fair, we have had Simpsons: Hit & Run, the critically acclaimed The Walking Dead series from Telltale Games which has such a gripping story it is set to have a third series announced very soon, possibly at E3 2015. Going retro in the form of Animaniacs for the Sega Genesis to Rugrats: Search For Reptar (I loved it anyway). On the flip side however, there are a lot that suck, and suck hard from The Simpsons Wrestling (NED FLANDERS WAS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE!), The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Pimp My Ride (Yes, this was a game) and lets not forget that South Park had a game from the 90's that wasn't essentially horrible but it wasn't great either, mediocre would probably be the best way to describe it. So, could developers Obsidan and the creators of South Park work together to produce a game that was authentic to the show and had gameplay that didn't frustrate those who played it? Lets find out, shall we?

Before I do press on however, I am sure that the majority are aware that South Park as a TV show tries to stay up to date with pop culture and a lot of episodes are crammed with some pretty offensive things so I stress, if you are easily offended please do not read this review as I will be highlighting some of the more offensive elements of the game throughout. Again, if you are easily offended, please do not read, if you choose to read and become offended, I did issue this warning.

A Brief Background

So, South Park: The Stick of Truth began development in 2009 with Trey Parker & Matt Stone (The creators of South Park) working with Obsidan Entertainment (Developers of popular title Fallout: New Vegas) with the intent from Parker & Stone being to develop a video game based on their popular television series that played exactly how an episode of South Park did on TV. Parker & Stone would write the script, voice the characters and have a key role in ensuring development played true tot he TV show, something that excited the fans of the show, and no wonder, was there ever a game that played out exactly how its TV counterpart did?

Release of the game was somewhat of a clusterfuck, original publishers, THQ (publishers of many popular video game titles such as the WWE Smackdown! series) went bankrupt, forcing the rights to the games publishing to be sold off to Ubisoft. There was also an entire year of delay, the game was initially set for release in March 2013 however, several delays seen the game not come to light until March 2014 turning excitement to frustration. The trailer however, wow....

To South Park fans, this looked like a trailer to an episode which is exactly what Parker & Stone had aimed for and Jesus, was it something I was excited for, the cast alone was enough to hook me on the game. Cartman, Kyle, Stan, Butters, Kenny, Jimmy, Wendy, Mr. Slave and even Al Gore were just a handful of the characters set to be in the game. So going into my first playthrough, the hype-train was pretty fuckin' hyped.

The Review

Console: Sony's PlayStation 3 (Also available on Xbox 360 & PC)
    Developer: Obsidan Entertainment, South Park Digital Studios
    Publisher: Ubisoft (Rights sold from THQ bankruptcy)
    Release Date: March 2014
    Genre: Role Playing

Introduction

So, I got the game not long after release (it wasn't a launch day pick-up for me), and inserted the disc into my PlayStation 3. I sat down, controller in hand and most likely some kind of alcoholic beverage on the coaster on my coffee table and was ready to play. Straight from the get go, the customisation of your character is really good from the off with the opportunity to further customise your character down the line throughout the story as you progress and unlock new clothes, weapons, hairstyles and all that kind of stuff that makes you happy about being able to customise your character so from the off, a good first impression. Getting into the game, you are the 'New Kid' of South Park and you pretty much instantly become besties with Butters. Soon afterwards, you come into contact with Cartman (The Grand Wizard) and Kenny (Princess Kenny) where you choose your fighting class, another element of good customisation. Out of the classes available (Fighter, Thief, Jew and Mage) I chose Fighter Class after being told by Cartman that if I picked Jew, we wouldn't be friends. Following this, you get to name your character to which was my first laugh of the game. After naming myself "Gandalf", Cartman bluntly asks if you "are sure you want douchebag to be your name?" Regardless of what you enter, you will forever be known as 'douchebag' in Stick of Truth. So far, the game has completely nailed the humour you come to expect from a traditional episode of South Park, are we on to a winner already?

Gameplay

The gameplay to Stick of Truth is nothing short of remarkable, is it on the levels of depth like say, Grand Theft Auto, Fallout or Dark Souls? No. It is nowhere near as advanced as those titles however, it is something else. It is remarkable because the gameplay is as if you are controlling an episode of South Park with your very hands. The movements exactly replicate those of the TV show and it's an absolute joy to play with. When it comes to doing battle with your foes throughout South Park however, the game is not that challenging, in fact, it isn't that challenging even on the hardest setting. When it comes to fighting your foes, the Ginger Kids for example, it is nothing like Skyrim, Witcher or anything like your typical RPG's, instead you take turns with your enemies until one side is left standing victorious and the other is 'dead'. To progress however, you need to be able to block attacks at the right moment and counter with big attacks of your own to get the edge (This can sometimes be a pain in the ass if you mistime your button pressing). The simplistic style of the encounters with your foes however aren't a major worry, in fact, this is exactly what makes an RPG title so diverse, you're not going to get another game like this to be perfectly honest.

There is more to just fighting though, you can explore South Park in its entirety, the entire town has been put together by Obsidan and you can go anywhere from Kenny's house to City Wok. There is also a fast travel system where Timmy (yes, the dude in the wheelchair) will transport you to and from your destination once you have unlocked the fast travel points throughout the game. Additionally, you have a Facebook type app where you make friends with the folks of South Park (there is even a trophy for making friends with everyone from South Park, a feat I am yet to have accomplished). There are items you can collect to upgrade how your character looks, be it new ginger hair to new gloves or war paint, the level of customization is great to see so as previously mentioned, you aren't stuck looking like the same old Joe from the start. Additionally, you can collect ChinPokomon which are located all around South Park including in people's houses.

The Story

The story of the game doesn't really have a lot of depth to it, you are a new kid and you end up becoming a part of the quest to secure the Stick of Truth. You join up with Cartman, your Wizard leader who also has Princess Kenny, Butters and other fan favourites of the show at his side and fight your fellow chums of South Park for the control of the Stick of Truth. Now, some of the content you can see in the US version of this game were edited out of the EU version so I had to end up going to YouTube to watch these bits and it doesn't surprise me at all that the EU decided to get some of the story stuff out however I would argue that if people are that easily offended, why would you even consider buying a South Park game? You wouldn't. South Park, by now, is known for its over the top, crude and downright offensive content. Anyway, the scenes that were removed include anal probing and abortion. Not fundamental to the story but still. Anyway, for those who haven't played through the game but have watched the show, this is as crude and offensive as a traditional episode however is just spread over around a 12 hour period of the game. Some of the enemies you come up against include; Ginger Kids and Nazi Zombies. Throughout the story you also encounter other popular characters such as Randy Marsh, Jesus, Al Gore and the duo of Terrance & Phillip who feature in a rather hilarious 16Bit presentation of Canada.

I'm not going to give away too much in terms of detailed spoilers but you go through quite a number of different scenes throughout your time in South Park. Upon losing the Stick then retrieving it you end up abducted by Aliens, finding yourself in an abortion clinic and then facing off with the Nazi Zombies and Nazi Chef and even inside Mr Slave's ass to stop a Nuclear Bomb from detonating. So from that somewhat brief summary, you can get the general gist of just how insane this game gets with its content.

Main Pros

The Level of Customization: As I've mentioned, you can constantly change the look of your character to freshen up how you appear in the game. Hair styles, clothes, weapons and facial hair plus more can be changed to suit you whenever you want.
    It Looks and Feels Like An Episode of South Park: Albeit, a much longer episode than the norm, this game feels legitimately authentic and you can tell that South Park creators had a majority say as to what was included in the game. The jokes are for the most part, legitimately funny and the game doesn't try to sugarcoat anything by toning anything down. There is Nazi Zombies and abortions for crying out loud.
    Character Depth: You encounter so many people, so many. I half expected Saddam to have a cameo at some point.

Main Cons
    No Replay Value: If you're a trophy or achievements kind of guy, you may want to try and get as many as you can first time around because playing this several times close together could wear thin as the same jokes can become pretty tiring if you've heard them a few times, I know I got a little bit irked when I heard the same joke from a cutscene I had to watch more than once after I kept dying.
    Your Character: I want my character to be able to speak and instead of just taking some of the bullshit thrown his way, would've liked to be able to shoot Cartman down with a response which could've been pretty entertaining.

A Brief Summary

A legit funny game that recreates the look and humour of South Park authentically. The story is balls out insane but since it is South Park, you accept just how crazy it is and enjoy the 12 or so hours of gameplay you get out of it. If you love (or even only slightly like) South Park I would highly recommend you give this a playthrough. You can get this game pretty cheap preowned from the likes of CeX, GAME and eBay if you are into using that too.

Overall Rating: Crackin'

Heel Champion

Status

Baldwin Reviews Video Games 2019

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I posted in here however I'd just like to make you all (those who care) aware that I'm coming back to this little corner of the world to post some reviews. I shall update this as and when I've completed any and all reviews and hope all that do read enjoy it. As with BTB any criticism and feedback is welcome plus if there are any games you want to read my viewpoint on, let me know and I'll see what I can factor in.

On the agenda;

April - May 2019;
    Rockstar Games' magnum opus: Red Dead Redemption 2
    An original PlayStation Classic: Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Spyro the Dragon)

I will soon also look to link my twitch account for you guys to jump in and out of when I get some free time to stream some content.

Thread Information