Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Roman Reigns the most forced push in WWE history?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Is Roman Reigns the most forced push in WWE history?

I thought this would be a good discussion. Reigns is being pushed far beyond his current level of popularity and is on course to main event Wrestlemania against the strongest booked WWE wrestler in forever (Lesnar). There have been many forced pushes of people who haven't caught on with the crowd the way WWE want: Bobby Lashley is a notable example, Del Rio another.

So my question is simply in the title, given that Reigns is going to main event Wrestlemania and probably beat Brock Lesnar for the title, is he the most forced push in history? And if not, who would you put forward?

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Is Roman Reigns the most forced push in WWE history?

Del Rio was the first name that came to mind when I read the thread, It's amazing how much of a career the guy had considering the fans never really took to him, He was pretty much a main eventer for 3 years straight and only lost that status because the WWE decided to unify the titles. He was pushed to the sky from day one and honestly never should have maintained that status.

It's hard to say whether or not Reigns is worse than him though, mainly because at one stage the fans really were behind the guy and it wasn't until the WWE starting stripping him of all the good things about him that they began to wean. Had he maintained his badass persona rather than become a waterdowned John Cena I don't think his push would feel nearly as forced.

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think he may be, it all depends on if he wins at Mania. The reason being is because the WWE is adamant that he is going to be the next top star no matter what the fans think or want and they are forcing him down our throats whether we like it or not. Whereas with Lashley and Del Rio, they kind of let up after a little bit and didn't shove them at us at every chance they could.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Reigns is on a different level, he is not only getting a push but a push with a view to be the next flagship guy.

Del Rio is the biggest in recent years, multiple title wins, Rumble win etc.... Never connected, not for me anyway.

Reys push in early 2006 felt forced and hung in the coat tails of Eddies passing, if he lived I don't know that Rey would have got that. Rey was a face and so we backed him but it didn't feel natural.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Del Rio is certainly my number 2 choice. Royal Rumble win without being over, Wrestlemania "main event", MITB, gets shoe-horned into the hottest angle in WWE in years (the Punk pipebomb angle) even though he had no place in it and killed the momentum of that feud dead (HHH and Kevin Nash too). But I think I'd still give it to Reigns because they weren't setting Del Rio up to be "the guy" like a John Cena.

Rey in 2006 is a decent shout. Rey deserved the Main Event push because he was tremendously over from 2002-2005, but the manner of his push sucked.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I actually forgot about 2006 Rey, Really weaned off him in that period because he only did get his main event level push due to Eddie dying. was just really hard to get behind the whole "hes doing it for Eddie" stuff.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I'd give it to Reigns for sure over Del Rio. ADR has an outrageous list of accolades for someone of his overness with the fans but at the end of the day he was a damn good wrestler and he could play a mean heel. He's also had some cracking singles matches whereas the only two I can think of for Reigns is Orton and Bryan. Don't get me wrong, I like Reigns and I wouldn't be a huge Del Rio guy but I still think Reigns is more forced than Del Rio.

Merry Christmas

Status

That's it Reigns isn't just getting a main event push he is getting a push to be THE GUY, following Hogan, Austin, Cena. These are what he is expected to follow.

The problem is that Bret/Shawn/Austin/Rock/Cena all had mid card title runs IC/US to prove themselves. Well before they got s shot at the title, Bret/HBK even had tag runs before the Midcard run before the main event. Reigns is coming off a long stretch being the number 3 guy in the Shield, he was the muscle, since the break up he has had a long layoff and now shoe horned into the main event at Mania. Not only has he not had a lower title run he has barely had a singles run. Yes he had a great match with Bryan, but one match isn't enough to set you up for the big time. Let's face it, anyone will look good with Bryan in the ring, what happens after Bryan? He has been thrown in the deep end like no True Top Guy since Hogan, and Hogan was in a different Galaxy.

Reigns has been given an INCREDIBLE job to do and if he comes out of it alive then he truly belongs at the top, but for me right now, he's ridding a bike into a tunnel for the first time with no training wheels. Does he come out the other end or does he fall.
    Last edited by Negan; 03-05-2015 at 05:14 PM.

God's Gift to God

Status

In terms of wwes booking and legitimate attempt to push him as THE guy he's the worst. His third solo ppv main event is for the title at mania. He never even sniffed the midcard and was catapulted into the title hunt immediately after the shield blew up. And it's pretty clear now that was done to push him to the moon. Hijacking what got him over and trying to copy paste Cenas character, which is the worst character to copy if you want someone to get over these days, and dedicating an entire royal rumble to the guy only for him to look WORSE. They could have let him build up a year full of steam and really get us behind him. Having bryan beat lesnar and conquering the 1 in 21-1 would have given just as big a rub if you put reigns over bryan next year. He beat the only guy to beat the beast. Or anyone aside from bryan.

Hotshotting to Mania just to get the brock rub killed reigns. And their follow up on trying to fix the situation hasn't fixed anything and only made bryan the more sympathetic character. Dude is below average on the mic and over dramatic with facial expressions, can hang and put work in with someone like bryan but looks lost against anyone else.

Biggest unwarranted push. Biggest botch by wwe in terms of the rocket blowing up before launch after vince straps it on.

ily

Roman Empire (3/29/15)

Status
      Country                    us=United States

No shout out for The Great Khali? LOL.. Man that was bad. I never even bought into him when he was juicing heads. Rey Mysterio's 2006 run has been mentioned, and I agree, but I loved Eddie, however, didn't like Rey. I tolerated him when he was teaming with EG, but once Eddie turned, was the first guy in Eddie's corner.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Reigns definitely has this. His only redeeming quality is that he could model a WWE brand of shampoo easily. Untalented in all areas but most importantly he's not over. The crowd was dead for him on Raw and he's headlining Mania and meant to be the next WWE Champion. And as Cox pointed out this will only be his third solo PPV match. In 3 solo matches he's going to beat Brock, get the biggest rub possible and the WWE Title. He's been rushed up the ladder at a ridiculous rate. If his WWE Title run/Mania was held off by another year he'd probably still be over. But he's done nothing but been rushed to the top and presented to us as the greatest thing ever with guys like Heyman and Bryan sent out there to suck his dick and tell him that he's the greatest wrestler of all time. Awful.

Established Veteran

Status

It's gotta be JBL. Career midcarder in a tag team. Now prior to winning the title in 2004, he was the first man eliminated in the 2004 Rumble. When Brock left, Angle and Big Show were injured, JBL got an instant main event push out of nowhere without proper build up(became #1 contender for winning a Kurt Angle award lol) and went on to become one of the worst WWE Champions of all time. His main event push was totally shoved down our throats from the beginning. He would have been fine as the US Champion but he certainly wasn't main event level. I hated seeing him on my television screen and lost interest in Smackdown during his reign as champion. Awful champion. I like him as an announcer.

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Christ you people get caught up in the 'only 3 solo PPVs' thing too much. First of all, an injury early into his singles run robbed him of more PPV matches, I think it's fair to say he would of had singles matches at Night of Champions, HIAC and TLC, as well as being apart of the Authority survivor series match (probably would of had Dolph's role) if he was fit. Of course then the line would then be 'oh but he's only had six PPV solo matches, that's not enough'. Secondly, so what if he didn't have singles run in the midcard with a secondary title, he was in the fucking Shield, Reigns was better served being part of that trio that were one of the best things about the company, than being one of countless IC Champions in a spot on the card that people care about the least. Shield > Midcard singles run.

Have people forgotten Sheamus won the WWE title in his first solo PPV match 2 months after his debut? or Wade Barrett being in the main event picture and challenging for the WWE title after Nexus debuted?, or Ryback going from squashing jobbers to WWE title matches in the space of a month? It's not that uncommon for WWE for them to experiment with people in the main event too soon, granted Reigns will be getting a bigger rub than they will. It just annoys me when I see 'only 3 solo PPV matches', it's a twisted way of looking at it to give Reigns a negative spin. Another way of looking at it is 'it's Reign's 3rd Wrestlemania, his first in the main event', a comparison to others:

- Miz main evented his 2nd Wrestlemania
    - Daniel Bryan main evented his 3rd Wrestlemania
    - Batista main evented his 2nd Wrestlemania
    - Brock Lesnar main evented his FIRST wrestlemania
    - Rock main evented his 3rd Wrestlemania
    (not including dark matches)

Again, it's not that uncommon a position to push a guy into. There's plenty of reasons why Reigns isn't ready to be their #1, but it's not because he's in the mania main event and he's only wrestled three solo PPV matches.

Back to the thread title, yeah Reigns is definitely one of the most forced pushes ever, WWE are all over the place when it comes to booking this guy and he is not ready for the spot he is being elevated to. However personally I consider the forced pushes of Khali, Lashley and especially JBL worse because it made me stop watching WWE for a period of time, it hasn't quite got that bad with Reigns yet. What compounds things for Reigns is that very rarely will WWE build up an opponent to the level that BROCK LESNAR has been built up, which hurts Reigns when comparing the two, a Del Rio or Lashley never had to put up with a BROCK LESNAR, and then in the eyes of the fans Reigns has taken Daniel Bryan's spot, and that's never going to go down well.
    Last edited by Ed; 03-05-2015 at 08:24 PM.

God's Gift to God

Status

Listing all of those people makes our point brah

All those peeps are leaps and bounds better than reigns

ily

Merry Christmas

Status

I don't think "he's only had 3 single matches" is a reason NOT to give him the main event. He was out injured for much of last year and I agree he would have had ALOT more matches under his belt. His run with Rollins probably would have happened then also, he almost definitely have been given Zigglers role at Survivor Series. If he had all off this under his belt, sure I think he would have been ready for having a shot at being that top guy. I also get that come late 2014 they would have known Reigns was coming back, maybe not with Bryan so earlier on they pulled that trigger.

My slight beef, and it is slight because I have no problem with Reigns going forward in a top spot. When he was done with the Shield which was one hell of a big deal and bigger than a mid card role ,I agree. BUT coming off of the Shield I still think he should of had a longer singles run in the mid/upper mid card. When the injury came up they should have slowed thing down and used THIS YEAR to get some mileage under his belt. Don't forget while he was a favourite coming out of Shield Rollins and Ambrose were already ahead with in ring talent and mic skills. Reigns needed that added time to get to that level. So when the injury prevented that he should have been given further time to develop. The guys you listed above were either decent enough in the ring and/or decent on the mic, Reigns wasn't really either.

But he is in the main event, I have no problem with that, I hope he does well. I just think he's in the deep end and it's sink or swim. I think he'll swim...

God's Gift to God

Status

I mean, if guys like ziggler and bnb get their pushes shelved due to injury why doesn't that apply to reigns?

ily

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    I mean, if guys like ziggler and bnb get their pushes shelved due to injury why doesn't that apply to reigns?

ily
    Vince hadn't invested breaking the streak in midcarders for life Ziggler and BNB.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Vince hadn't invested breaking the streak in midcarders for life Ziggler and BNB.
    But his lack of a solo portfolio (and lack of everything compared to your earlier list) still lacks in comparison to both of those guys. Ziggler is considerably more over than reigns and would have the investment of the crowd during a push. All of these bullet points on other guys (injuries, overness, actual ability) make reigns even less credible as the beneficiary to the streak.

ily

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    It's gotta be JBL. Career midcarder in a tag team. Now prior to winning the title in 2004, he was the first man eliminated in the 2004 Rumble. When Brock left, Angle and Big Show were injured, JBL got an instant main event push out of nowhere without proper build up(became #1 contender for winning a Kurt Angle award lol) and went on to become one of the worst WWE Champions of all time. His main event push was totally shoved down our throats from the beginning. He would have been fine as the US Champion but he certainly wasn't main event level. I hated seeing him on my television screen and lost interest in Smackdown during his reign as champion. Awful champion. I like him as an announcer.
    JBL drew crazy heat though. It was a random push but it worked out really well.

superkek party

Status

Alberto Del Rio or gtfo.
    The guy was given soooo much more years ago. Reigns actually has a good move set at least.
    Del Rio:
    x2 WWE Champion
    x2 WH Champion
    Money in the Bank holder
    Royal Rumble winner
    Main evented several ppvs as a challenger (i.e. tlc 2011)

Roman Reigns was in one of the most dominant stables in WWE history and THE most dominant stable in the past 5 years. Constantly a good worker and a good guy, with heart and passion.

He just needs a good babyface manager.

People are gonna bitch no matter what. That's just the way wrestling works, sadly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information