Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs Pacquiao May 2nd Confirmed

World Champion

Status

Mayweather vs Pacquiao May 2nd Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Floyd Mayweather will meet Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on 2 May for what promises to be the richest fight in history, it has finally been confirmed.

American Mayweather, 37, and Philippine Pacquiao, 36, are considered to be the best two fighters of their generation.

Mayweather's WBC and WBA welterweight titles and Pacquiao's WBO title will be on the line at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather is unbeaten in 47 professional fights; Pacquiao has 57 wins and five losses from 64 contests.

The fight is expected to generate as much as £162m ($250m). The most lucrative fight in history is thought to be Mayweather versus Saul Alvarez in 2013, which generated an estimated £97m.

Mayweather-Pacquiao is also expected to break the record for pay-per-view buys in the United States. The current record of 2.4m was set when Mayweather fought fellow American Oscar de la Hoya in 2007.

Mayweather wrote on his webpage: "What the world has been waiting for has arrived.

"Mayweather vs Pacquiao on May 2, 2015, is a done deal. I promised the fans we would get this done and we did."

He added: "I am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done.

"Giving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus. This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport. Boxing fans and sports fans around the world will witness greatness on May 2.

"I am the best ever and this fight will be another opportunity to showcase my skills and do what I do best, which is win. Manny is going to try to do what 47 before him failed to do, but he won't be successful. He will be number 48."

About bloody time too!

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Mayweather vs Pacquiao May 2nd Confirmed

Jesus, what a purse!

Cool, love a big fight.

World Champion

Status

Probably one of the very last mega fights we'll see, no one else right now is on the same level as these two

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Boxing's shit but Mayweather will win. Clearly has held this off long enough for Pacman to slide a little. Not as close as it once was imo.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Its actually happening. Going to be crazy amounts of money involved here.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

This actually deserves it's own thread, I was already breaking news a month or so ago with Pacman accepting the deal. We were just waiting for Mayweather to agree as well. Well I didn't know he had a huge Boxing community here, Zero and I was talking about this fight and I really want to cry about hearing this news. Back in the day, the best Boxers fought the best in their division, not ducking and hiding from competition. We had Ali vs Frasier, Leonard vs Hearns, Tyson vs Holyfield but that was the past when majority of us were babies or not born yet. Today our generation we get the fight yes should of happened years ago, but fuck the past let's create some Boxing history now and turn into one of the greatest fights ever guys.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

At least 5 years after the fact

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TCON View Post
    At least 5 years after the fact
    Yeah probably, but the name value alone for these two will get huge numbers. Both Boxers have changed inside the ring over the years, and I expect a wonderful battle. Mayweather ducking and moving his head with the crazy angles Pacquiao will come with, it will be very entertaining to watch.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I just love how people go on about how boxing's on it's last legs. Between probably the biggest fight of all time happening, Finally having a US heavyweight making a name for himself, a boatload of promising and charismatic up and comers in the lower weight classes, & probably most importantly the PBC on NBC deal, the scene's healthier than it has been in at least a decade.

As far as this fight, it's more of a spectacle than anything, totally agree Floyd strategically waited this out until Pac was past his prime. Good news is he's been pretty dominant in his last few fights, particularly against his last bout vs Algieri. I think he could win in a perfect world, but if Floyd's first fight vs Maidana proved anything it's the only to get a win on Floyd is to knock him out because the judges won't do it and that's really my main fear going into this.

I could easily see this doing over 300 mil.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I just love how people go on about how boxing's on it's last legs. Between probably the biggest fight of all time happening, Finally having a US heavyweight making a name for himself, a boatload of promising and charismatic up and comers in the lower weight classes, & probably most importantly the PBC on NBC deal, the scene's healthier than it has been in at least a decade.

As far as this fight, it's more of a spectacle than anything, totally agree Floyd strategically waited this out until Pac was past his prime. Good news is he's been pretty dominant in his last few fights, particularly against his last bout vs Algieri. I think he could win in a perfect world, but if Floyd's first fight vs Maidana proved anything it's the only to get a win on Floyd is to knock him out because the judges won't do it and that's really my main fear going into this.

I could easily see this doing over 300 mil.
    Yup I second this, Boxing is alive and doing well. So many great fights going to happen and this fight is the icing on the cake for any Boxing fan right now. I would say both guys can sway a Judge in tough or close fights, but if I had to give the edge on power to Knockout someone lately..Pacman has the edge. Ask Algieri if Pacman is losing his punching power lol. He made love to the canvas all night in the fight. What was funnier was Algieri's Trainer telling him we got him where we want him lol.

Fearless University

Status

Honestly I feel like a lot of the "boxing is on its last legs stuff" is due to no American HW's doing well over the past decade. The Klitchsko brothers have dominated everyone else and HW is where peoples minds first go to when it comes to combat sports. Then Floyd is a great boxer but not the most stand up human being.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Honestly I feel like a lot of the "boxing is on its last legs stuff" is due to no American HW's doing well over the past decade. The Klitchsko brothers have dominated everyone else and HW is where peoples minds first go to when it comes to combat sports. Then Floyd is a great boxer but not the most stand up human being.
    I would agree with you the Heavyweight division being the weakest it's ever been, but the smaller weight classes for a long time have been always the most entertaining over the years. Duran vs Leonard a bout that comes to mind that felt like a big heavyweight bout mainly due to both guys really hating each other.

Fearless University

Status

HW has still had plenty of good fighters, its less about it being weak as much as the top talent have all been Eastern European which doesn't sell well in the States.

On Vacation

Status

Mayweather
    -Victory over Maidana[2014]
    -Victory over Maidana[2014]
    -Victory over Canelo Alvarez[2013]
    -Victory over Guerrero[2013]
    -Victory over Cotto[2012]
    -Victory over Ortiz[2011]
    -Victory over Mosley[2010]
    -Victory over Marquez[2009]
    -Victory over Hatton[2007]

Manny Pacquiao
    -Victory over Algieri[2014]
    -Victory over Bradley[2014]
    -Victory over Rios[2013]
    -Loss to Marquez[2012]
    -Loss to Bradley[2012]
    -Victory over Marquez[2011]
    -Victory over Mosley[2011]
    -Victory over Margarito[2010]
    -Victoy over Clottey[2010]
    -Victory over Cotto[2009]

I looked at the past ten fights of both men and even though Pacman has had two losses one which was bs, and one was with a clean shot coming in versus Marquez, both have done well. I would say lately Mayweather even in victories over Maidana has looked weak at times, especially when guys are mauling him into the corner. We'll see if Manny can do the same thing, and be patient enough to take his shots and move before Floyd can counter punch.

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status
      Country                    France

Hell yeah! Probably the last big fight of this era in boxing, i'm defo excited for this one!

#TheCount

On Vacation

Status

Imagine the merch that will be sold to promote this fight? I wonder if their any betting odds on the fight already, it has to be really close. This is a fight I wouldn't bet the House on that's for sure.

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status

You can imagine that they gonna make shitloads of money with this one.

"Formal details on the agreement have yet to be announced, but it's expected that Mayweather will have a 60-40 split advantage on revenues, with Mayweather making at least $120 million and Pacquiao, who signed the contract for the bout Thursday, earning $80 million."

if this is legit then oh well man.

#TheCount

On Vacation

Status

Yeah I had a feeling it would be a 60/40 split, but money isn't important here to the both of them hopefully. Two legends putting it on the line, to further the greatness of these soon to be Hall of Famers just one night. I can imagine it now, Mayweather on one side and Pacquiao with flashbulbs going nuts before the Referee saying ring the bell woof.

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo View Post
    Yeah I had a feeling it would be a 60/40 split, but money isn't important here to the both of them hopefully. Two legends putting it on the line, to further the greatness of these soon to be Hall of Famers just one night. I can imagine it now, Mayweather on one side and Pacquiao with flashbulbs going nuts before the Referee saying ring the bell woof.
    Even though i think money is a HUGE factor why this fight even happens to be honest :P

#TheCount

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by G6D View Post
    Even though i think money is a HUGE factor why this fight even happens to be honest :P
    Yeah it's a factor but Floyd could of taken a deal with Pacman years ago. I think for both men, if they didn't take this fight, it would of bad for them. No one wanted to see Floyd or Manny face anyone else right now, and numbers would of been done. They slayed everyone else in front of them at one point or another, besides each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information