View Poll Results: What was your match of the night at NXT TakeOver: Rival?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hideo Itami vs. Tyler Breeze

1 2.63%
  • Bull Dempsey vs. Baron Corbin

0 0%
  • The Lucha Dragons vs. Blake & Murphy

1 2.63%
  • Adrian Neville vs. Finn Balor

9 23.68%
  • Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte

16 42.11%
  • Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn

11 28.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NXT TakeOver: Rival Match Of The Night

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

NXT Takeover Special NXT TakeOver: Rival Match Of The Night

So what was your match of the night at NXT TakeOver: Rival. Cast your votes and your reasoning here.

This might be an interesting one.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Status

Re: NXT TakeOver: Rival Match Of The Night

You really should have just included the last three matches. While the opener was decent, there is still no point in having those first three up there at all.

My vote goes to Neville/Balor, although any of those final three are worthy. All great matches.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    You really should have just included the last three matches. While the opener was decent, there is still no point in having those first three up there at all.
    That's the case for every PPV though, there's always a couple of matches that are a cut above everything else on the show, gotta give people the option though.

It's a tricky one because the big 3 matches all delivered, for me I'm going for what impressed me most.

I've seen Neville wrestle Balor before in NJPW, and I wouldn't say with confidence that last night was better than their match years ago, plus there wasn't much of a story, they basically set it up in the last segment of the go-home show so there was hardly any interaction between them; a great showcase of their talents, but it lacked some emotion to get me really caring about which way the match would go.

I've seen Owens and Zayn wrestle before in ROH/PWG and whilst last night was fantastic booking to make Owens the top heel, it feels like the first chapter in their WWE feud so they held back on some stuff for rematches. In short, they have had better matches on the independents.

The 4 way however blew me away with how good it was considering Fatal Four Ways have the potential to be a mess regardless of gender, but the match was great. There's no need to add 'for a Divas match' to that, it was a great match full stop. Everyone came off looking strong, they all played their characters well, even Becky looked good in there. These NXT Women matches don't have the best set ups, but once the bell rings, the crap build goes out the window. I've never seen a multi-women match this good before.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

This could be the tightest poll in a while tbh. All 3 mains delivered respectively.

My vote personally goes to the divas who once again showed just how good womens wrestling could be if Vince actually gave them the chance to go out and do what needs to be done. I said it in the LD thread and i'll say it again, it's gonna be a shame watching girls like Charlotte & Banks go up and get treated like shit.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I never want thesse women to get called up to the main roster. Just stay on NXT forever, ladies.

It is so baffling how women can be booked so well on one show and so badly on the other.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I hope I'm not alone. I was so invested in Zayn/Owens. Especially on second viewing.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Torn between the 4 way and main. Need to re watch both. On initial viewing I'm leaning towards main.

ily

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Last night just before the match, I said the Fatal Four Way for the NXT Women's title could be better than Balor/Neville or even the main. People thought I was drinking, and the match itself was so great. All four ladies stock really went up after the match, congrats to the Boss Sasha Banks winning the title.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

I went with Zayn/Owens, but like pretty much everybody else has said one could make a solid argument for any of the last 3 matches

To add to Shock's comment, not only the women but the entire show is booked better than the main roster shows

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    uk=United Kingdom

The Divas F4W was the match of the night for me.

Zayn vs Owens was quite boring for me. Neville vs Balor I predicted how the match will go (ok match but could of been better.
    ​#BadNewsBrit James

Comeback King

Status

I went for the DIVA's match, man when they eventually realise they have talent the main shows are going to be great when they are given time. Banks, Bayley and Charlotte are so talented and you still have the likes of AJ and Paige on the main roster as well as Emma. Some great matches right there.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Status
      Country                    United States

With the exception of the four way match, I predicted who would win all the other matches. So for as much as enjoyed the 4 way by itself, which I did a lot, not knowing who was gonna win added to it for me personally.

Itami/Breeze, the tag match, and Corb/Demp were good, but really short and predictable.

I feel like the Finn/Neville match would have been nicer if Balor didn't have the entrance.

I'll vote for the main event though.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

The women's fatal 4 way went toe to toe with the big 2 matches here. Not often a women's match is a MOTN contender, this may just end up being the Womens MOTY. So for this it gets my vote

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The F4W was, by some distance, the best women's match I've seen in ages. There wasn't a single weak link and it stole the show for me.

Owens-Zayn was great, and the booking was fantastic, and Neville-Balor was excellent too but those ladies killed it. Incredible match.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    With the exception of the four way match, I predicted who would win all the other matches. So for as much as enjoyed the 4 way by itself, which I did a lot, not knowing who was gonna win added to it for me personally.

Itami/Breeze, the tag match, and Corb/Demp were good, but really short and predictable.

I feel like the Finn/Neville match would have been nicer if Balor didn't have the entrance.

I'll vote for the main event though.
    Really ?

You predicted that Owens would win the NXT Title

I thought he would get dq'd or lose in some cheap way like a roll up or something, and then beat the crap out of Zayn after the match leading to a rematch

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I went for the DIVA's match
    No Divas in NXT, boss.

Glad to see the match get praise, I agree that it was the best of the night. Certainly the most fulfilling.
    [save]

I am the Outlaw

Status

I was alerted to this and man, let me tell you, I'm furious.

How can any sensible human being think the women's match was even in the same league as the main event? I get that there's a lot of hype about NXT women's matches (which are a lot better than any other women's matches in WWE and even decent in their own right) and they seem better because it's so surprising they're good, but come on now. Better than Zayn vs Owens?

You people....seriously.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ey Zayn/Owens was good but honestly felt it was the weakest of the three mains and a match that can easily be overrated due to the two guys involved. A great match but tbh the girls were better

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bad News Tommy View Post

How can any sensible human being think the women's match was even in the same league as the main event? I get that there's a lot of hype about NXT women's matches (which are a lot better than any other women's matches in WWE and even decent in their own right) and they seem better because it's so surprising they're good, but come on now. Better than Zayn vs Owens?

You people....seriously.
    But for those people who watch NXT regularly, it's not a surprise at all because they know that all these girls can go in the ring and especially pull it out the bag for the live specials.

Not to go over old ground again, but Owens/Zayn felt like chapter 1 of their feud where they were holding stuff back to set up for a rematch and once it was obvious they were going for the Brock Lesnar spam-a-move victory that took some drama out of the finish (well maybe not drama, unpredictability more-so). There have been better Steen/Generico matches in the past. The divas however broke new ground with probably the best female 4 way I've ever seen and what felt like the pay-off to the storyline the 4 girls had, they weren't holding back, it just stood out more to me on the night.

furious
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Oh, no...

How can any sensible human being think the women's match was even in the same league as the main event?
    By watching the passion and emotion involved? Yes, it's a bit meta to consider that women are disrespected on the main stage but I do think meta-stuff factoring into the passion/emotional rating of a match is realistic in the bigger picture. Zayn and Owens wrestled a good match about fury but the girls wrestled a really good match about proving yourself. I think the 4-Way told NXT's story better than Owens/Zayn, not a requirement but definitely bonus points. Additionally, the four-way had a more satisfying finish. I think any credit that Owens and Zayn get for an unconventional ending by way of the infinity powerbomb can just as easily be applied to the four-way for Charlotte maintaining a "never give up" attitude to give us the finish of Sasha taking advantage damage inflicted during the failed submission with A CRUCIFIX of all things. That level of realism and that much attention to a finish coming in a women's match is practically unheard of under the WWE umbrella.

The wrestling itself I think was pretty great in both matches, I just give the slight edge to the 4-Way. I've seen the 4-Way described as a "quarter star" better and while my feelings on star ratings are a separate issue, I think I would have to agree with that distinction. Owens/Zayn was great, don't get me wrong. But the Women's Match was greater. I say this as someone who has been making it a point to watch NXT regularly. The build to Zayn/Owens was more defined and maybe easier to hype up, but the Women's Match was a culmination of many things happening over a long period of time and it all felt very organic. I can understand not getting more out of the match if you aren't familiar with them the same way some shows suck if you don't know any of the characters and tune-in to episode 32.

come on now. Better than Zayn vs Owens?

You people....seriously.
    Yes. Better. Seriously.

Then. Now. And maybe not forever, but damnit, they deserved it this time.
    [save]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information