Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Status

Re: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Lol unless BJ was cut and his contract rescinded, he will fight again.

Also, Dana probably doesnt want him to fight again because he got KOed bya a random bar guy. I don't see how that compares to McGregor at all. Dana clearly doesn't give a fuck about people's morals as evidenced by Greg Hardy getting a push. Not to mention BJ having a restraining order against him by his wife for various forms of abuse. And he still was being matched.

I think Dana's a huge tool but it's disingenious to use this to bash him re McGregor.
    Why is it not comparable? they both were involved with incidents outside of fighting. Dana's statement on Penn doesn't make it seem like its concern for BJ's health or anything else. It comes across as being a result of the incident. You know, consequences. Penn and McGregor are incomparable in terms of where they are as fighters, importance to the UFC, etc. But they are still both contracted employees who's public actions reflect on their employer. One SEEMS to be (again, assuming the direct clear statement from White is what it comes across as) facing consequences. The other doesn't and never does.

The fact that the UFC does NOTHING to hold McGregor accountable for his actions or his words simply ensures these behaviors will continue.

And I only care about the Usman / Colby in that it could be an entertaining fight. Doesn't do tons for me beyond that. Like has been said, Cobly very much seems like an act and I can't bring myself to give a fuck about it.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

God's Gift to God

Status

Colby is a good enough fighter but has zero personality or real drawing power. The first time he gets knocked out he's done.

He's such a draw I blocked him on every form of social media and blocked his name in my Twitter filter because I can't stand how generic his gimmick is and how I'm supposed to believe it's entertaining or watchable at all

Status
      Country                    United States

Nate Diaz versus Jorge Masvidal will happen at UFC 244 on Nov. 2 at Madison Square Garden in New York, UFC president Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto on Saturday. The welterweight fight will headline the event.
    Some awesome news.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I personally WOULD be hyped for Colby vs Usman, I'm just bored of waiting for it. It's been too long, Coly should've had his chance ages ago and it's just fucking boring seeing his edgelord gimmick every 2 minutes.

Also Nate vs Jorge has me screaming inside. More hyped for that than any title fight so far this year.

Khabib tapped out Dustin in the 3rd as well. Usual dominant performance from Khabib. Got into some hairy situations with a Guillotine attempt in the 3rd & almost got clipped in the 2nd, but otherwise smashed him. Get the Tony fight booked now plz.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: Kings of the Indies
    ONLY in the BTB Section!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Why is it not comparable? they both were involved with incidents outside of fighting. Dana's statement on Penn doesn't make it seem like its concern for BJ's health or anything else. It comes across as being a result of the incident. You know, consequences. Penn and McGregor are incomparable in terms of where they are as fighters, importance to the UFC, etc. But they are still both contracted employees who's public actions reflect on their employer. One SEEMS to be (again, assuming the direct clear statement from White is what it comes across as) facing consequences. The other doesn't and never does.

The fact that the UFC does NOTHING to hold McGregor accountable for his actions or his words simply ensures these behaviors will continue.

And I only care about the Usman / Colby in that it could be an entertaining fight. Doesn't do tons for me beyond that. Like has been said, Cobly very much seems like an act and I can't bring myself to give a fuck about it.

Could you link me to whatever you're reading/listening to regarding Dana. Nowhere have I read anything from Dana that implies the incident is Dana's main concern. Infact I distinctly remember reading Dana saying that BJ had to get his life sorted out in an interview about this very incident. If that's not concern for health then idk what to tell you. It's clear Dana hasn't been a fan of BJ fighting for a long time (says it himself). If BJ, allegedly, beating, verbally and sexually abusing his wife isn't enough to get him barred from the UFC then why would you think this is any different? Dana has always brushed it off because he's known Penn a long time but he clearly cannot ignore it anymore. My opinion remains that BJ is 'barred' as a result of a string of incidents and the fact he's shot as a fighter... not because he got into a stupid brawl at a bar in a single, isolated incident. I'm guessing you think the UFC is punishing Penn for being involved in the incident... when they aren't. Dana's just simply had enough of being involved with someone who clearly has some mental issues and isn't in the right state to fight. The incidents seem incomparable to me because Penn was provoked, McGregor was not. Allegedly. Penn likely explained that to Dana too.

Didn't we have this discussion a while ago as to why McGregor isn't punished for these incidents? McGregor committed a crime and was investigated appropriately for it. He also had apologised. I don't know what you need Dana to do here -- if legal authorities haven't punished him then what leg does Dana have to stand on? How do you also know that he hasn't been punished behind the scenes? I have no idea on BJ (he was hit first it seems) so I don't know if police have dealt with it. But it seems obvious to me that Dana's just not up for BJ fighting anymore as a result of his health and the fact he's shot. Not because he started a fight in a bar. I would assume that's why Dana described the incident as 'sad'.

Yeah, you're right the UFC does nothing to hold McGregor accountable but you're tunnelling on McGregor when they barely hold anyone accountable for anything in the first place. The vast majority of time, McGregor is held accountable by the athletic commissions and/or police forces. The UFC doesn't think it needs to do anything when people are punished by other bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Colby is a good enough fighter but has zero personality or real drawing power. The first time he gets knocked out he's done.

He's such a draw I blocked him on every form of social media and blocked his name in my Twitter filter because I can't stand how generic his gimmick is and how I'm supposed to believe it's entertaining or watchable at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddes View Post
    I personally WOULD be hyped for Colby vs Usman, I'm just bored of waiting for it. It's been too long, Coly should've had his chance ages ago and it's just fucking boring seeing his edgelord gimmick every 2 minutes.
    Usman vs Colby is only exciting cause it means one of them is (likely) going to lose. Hopefully.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 09-08-2019 at 08:07 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Stylebender

Status

Usman-Covengton announced for UFC 245. Took them fuckin long enough but YASS.

ONLY in the BTB Section!

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The whole mess with Usman/Colby actually somehow made me even less interested in that fight. Just get it over and done with and move onto something more interesting.

Stylebender

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The whole mess with Usman/Colby actually somehow made me even less interested in that fight. Just get it over and done with and move onto something more interesting.
    I feel the same with the build. I feel nothing for Usman, and Colby is pure go away heat with me, but I'm REALLY interested in how this is going to go. Both of them (Not seen much of Usman so correct me if I'm wrong) are such high pressure wrestlers, I'm interested to see who's going to backpedal, who's out wrestling who. Hoping for an Usman win, just because I want to see how Covington reacts. Will he drop the gimmick in the post-fight presser? Will he try and keep the gimmick going? That stuff is what's keeping me hyped. The back and forth though can fuck off. Colby is awful but Usman isn't good at verbal wars

ONLY in the BTB Section!

Status

Main card (ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET)

Joanna Jedrzejczyk def. Michelle Waterson by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 49-46)

Cub Swanson def. Kron Gracie by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Niko Price def. James Vick by KO (up kick and punches) at 1:44, R1

Amanda Ribas def. Mackenzie Dern by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Matt Frevola def. Luis Pena by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)

Eryk Anders def. Gerald Meerschaert by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)

Undercard (ESPN+ at 5 p.m. ET)

Ryan Spann def. Devin Clark via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 2, 2:01

Mike Davis def. Thomas Gifford via KO (punch) - Round 3, 4:45

Alex Morono def. Max Griffin (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)

Deiveson Figueiredo def. Tim Elliott via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 3:08

Marlon Vera def. Andre Ewell via TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 3:17

Miguel Baeza def. Hector Aldana via TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 2:32

Marvin Vettori def. Andrew Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

JJ Aldrich def. Lauren Mueller via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
    Here are the results from last night's event.

Status

That Gifford stoppage was sickening.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    That Gifford stoppage was sickening.
    This times a thousand. We've seen a few late stoppages in our time. That definitely was one of the worse ones. I felt that fight ended at least 7 minutes later than it should have

Status

I'm all for giving a fighter a chance to stay in the fight and win but that fight was a complete and utter blowout. That dude's lucky nothing bad came back on his CT but he took one of the biggest near 15 minute beatings I've ever seen. A rare case where it's one of the fights you just know the dude's losing no matter what and want it to stop. Reminds me of Miocic vs Hunt and Barboza vs Hooker. I really think corners need to be more mindful of their fighter's health. I'd really like to see corner's stopping fights more to avoid this shit. Slugfests and shit are entertaining to watch but there's no joy in watching a dude get the shit beat out of him when he doesn't have to anymore. You'd have understood if he quit. Can't doubt Gifford's heart at least.

Has anyone seen RIZIN or ONE? Some goddamn crazy shit happened.

RIZIN recs:

Kai Asakura vs Ulka Sasaki (especially the post fight scan pic of the loser's jaw. holy shit)
    TAIGA vs Taiju Shiratori
    Lightweight GP fights

ONE recs:

Lee vs Jing Nan
    Vera vs La Nsang
    Todd vs Vandaryeva
    Saruta vs Kitakata

plus shit ton more.

Great weekend for fights.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 10-16-2019 at 02:58 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Randy Couture is recovering from a heart attack, hopefully he fully recovers.

God's Gift to God

Status

So Nate Diaz bounced a USADA test?

excuse the fuck out of me sir

Status

Gotta be a stitch up man lol

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

USADA apparently wanting to wait until after the fight to expose it is sketchy.

Status

It sounds like Nate isnt wanting to fight with a dirty record so he wants exonerated before he does. So really its Nate who may be holding the fight back?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah sounds like he didn't want it coming out after the fight like it always does. Which means the UFC knows and withholds the info to keep fights on to make sure they don't lose money

Which we all knew I think but that's been flat out revealed here I think

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Poor Gooch. Was looking forward to the Kai Asakura rematch

Status

Sucks that he got injured - and I think this injury might affect his career going forward too - but I don't think too many Japanese people will be upset as Horiguchi really isn't the main draw in RIZIN. It's Tenshin and RENA that move the needle... which is really bad for a supposed MMA org. Asakura bros are probably the same as Gooch but have a higher ceiling. No doubt the rematch probably would have had some level of interest but I think Kai will carry that same level of interest if he's matched up with the likes of Ishiwatari or Kape. Plus, Gooch gave up his belt as a result of this. I think he's not coming back to RIZIN if I remember his contract details right.

Have to say - the NYE cards are shaping up nicely. I'm really into the Bellator Japan card so far and I have confidence NYE is gonna rock too.

Other than that, the news that RIZIN is trying to crowdfund for shit is worrying. I'm afraid this business model is not sustainable and they might end up folding next year.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 11-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread Information