Thread: MMA Random Discussion Thread

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    Hypothetical Question:

Who should get punished worse.

Someone who nearly killed a dozen or so people but barely anyone saw it.

Or someone who nearly committed assault in front of several thousand people.

If you say the 2nd one deserves a worse punishment, then I don't know what to say about your moral compass anymore.
    I am not talking about morals here.

I am talking about business. What was more damaging to MMA?

They laid waste to our land, they took it from our hand
    From Atlanta to Savannah, they scorched our earth
    They stole our corn and wheat, they left no food to eat
    They slaughtered all the cattle, took the things of worth
    Well, we got women and children too
    Just the same as you
    Ain't it enough just to know that you got us beat

The hatred will never cease, even now that there's peace
    The feelings will run as deep as the scars we bear
    This ain't cloth we wear it's a rag, we're at the mercy of the carpetbag
    What you call justice is plain unfair
    How the hell can you ever claim
    It's been worth all of the pain
    Just to have us live together under one flag

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post

the biggest name in the history of the sport with the most widespread mainstream appeal attacking a bus and causing several injuries?

the khabib shit probably drew more eyes to the product

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    the biggest name in the history of the sport with the most widespread mainstream appeal attacking a bus and causing several injuries?

the khabib shit probably drew more eyes to the product
    The point is that Khabib's incident happened live on PPV at an event regulated by the NAC.

McGregor's incident happened NOT live on PPV and NOT an event regulated by the NAC.

If anyone can't understand why they had to give a harsher punishment to Khabib then you are just being silly.

You don't have to agree with it but you have to understand it.

Take the emotion out of it and use logic.

Just the same as you

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post

An MMA fighter nearly killing a bunch of other MMA fighters. Easiest fucking answer ever.

Quit trying to spin this as if Khabib pulled a fucking Mass Transit Incident in front of everyone.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Barrows View Post
    An MMA fighter nearly killing a bunch of other MMA fighters. Easiest fucking answer ever.

Quit trying to spin this as if Khabib pulled a fucking Mass Transit Incident in front of everyone.
    "Nearly killing" is being more than a bit dramatic.

I have presented my argument and I stand firmly behind it.

An MMA fighter at one of the biggest shows of the year nearly causing a brawl and drawing bad publicity to the sport at an event governed and regulated by the NAC.

An MMA fighter who attacked other MMA fighters on his own time drawing bad publicity on himself.

Just the same as you

God's Gift to God

Status

Yeah nearly killing is an over exaggeration. People got seriously injured plus the shit with rose but no one almost died

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Pretty much this

Funny how the guy reacting gets the notably heavier punishment than the guy instigating and committing felony assault with a trolley. Par for the course in this sport.
    Separate incidents though. Conor going crazy at the bus was something the Police and Courts dealt with not the Commission. The incident with Khabib leaping over the cage and fly kicking Danis while his boys brawled with Conor is separate to that and dealt with by the Commission. And Khabib wasn't reacting, he started that shit on the night, he's the most to blame.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

If the NAC cared about "painting MMA in a negative light", they wouldn't make half the decisions they do. They wouldn't allow HORRIBLE judging decisions as often as they do. This is the only time that's been a factor, so if it was actually their justification, its hardly something they apply with ANY consistency.

No horse in the race, TBH. I just wish there was a modicum of equality in treatment of fighters. Stars who make the UFC huge money simply get treated different and not just by the UFC. But by the Athletic Commissions and USADC. There is zero accountability for one fighter saying rather racist things, but there is a heavy hand in punishing the guy who reacts to it.
    Horrible decisions happen in any combat sport not just MMA. Also NSAC have no power over any bouts or incident outwith their state iirc. Not every bad decision has been in Nevada.

Wasn't McGregor already in court and punished for the Dolly incident? Also what was actually racist that McGregor said? I only remember religion being mocked tbh.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Horrible decisions happen in any combat sport not just MMA. Also NSAC have no power over any bouts or incident outwith their state iirc. Not every bad decision has been in Nevada.

Wasn't McGregor already in court and punished for the Dolly incident? Also what was actually racist that McGregor said? I only remember religion being mocked tbh.
    Wasn't making any point larger point about bad decisions. Simply that if the NSAC was using the justification of "he made the sport look bad" is laughable when they do nothing regarding so many other things that do the same thing.

McGregor was "punished" for the dolly incident. And you are correct - its a separate entity. Different state, different authorities, etc. But hard to ignore a felony assault as an instigating factor.

As for the racism, do you mean specifically in this fight or more generally? In this fight, it was moreso about religion than anything, and some equally wonderful family attacks. Calling Khabib's manager a terrorist rat, offering Khabib alcohol, and calling his dad a coward. But he has a pretty big history of it. "Dance for me, boy". "Ride into his favela on horseback". "I want to turn favelas into sweatshops". Apparently calling Latino fighters "cholo". The Instagram controversy. Some people want to pass it off as "selling a fight", but few other fighters have to continually go to racially-offensive statements.

The UFC has never made an effort to hold McGregor accountable for his statements. He is clearly smart enough to know the line he is toeing. So again, my basic point was that its not a great look for the sports premier organization to be perfectly okay with the behavior but both the organization and a primary governing body to see a reaction to that behavior as completely unacceptable.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Khabib acted a fool at an event regulated by them. That forced their hand to make an example of him.

It not only made the sport look bad it made them (NAC) look bad. If they had shown leniency it would have further tarnished their image. They must show no tolerance for actions like this at events regulated by them.

If Khabib didn't have the potential to make the UFC money he may have went the way of Paul Daley. Banned for life from the UFC.

He should consider himself lucky. Fighters know not to bring this shit into the octagon. What happens in their own time is their own business.

Just the same as you

God's Gift to God

Status

The NAC doesn't need help looking bad

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    The NAC doesn't need help looking bad
    Well to people who know, yes.

But for the average person who sees this on the news they had to make it look good.

Just the same as you

Status

Conor McGregor Wants To Fight In Brazil, Jose Aldo Makes History, UFC Champ Honors Aldo

- Needless to say, the last few years have been tough on former champion Jose Aldo. But the Brazilian showed that he remains one of the best fighters in the world with a finish of Renato Moicano for his second consecutive win at UFC Fight Night 144.

Aldo, who held the UFC featherweight title for several years before dropping it to Conor McGregor, holds the UFC/WEC record for his division in wins (18), stoppages (11) and knockouts (11).

"No one believed me," Aldo said. "But I knew you (the fans) would be by my side and the victory would be ours."

After testing the range of each other out in the first, Aldo went to work on Moicano in the second, peppering him with shot after shot. He connected with an uppercut that rocked the rising contender before finishing him and racing into the crowd to celebrate.

"I wanted to vary my shots," Aldo said. "Hit him high and low. He was a little taller, so I wanted to vary it."

- Max Holloway and Jose Aldo have shared the Octagon twice, with the reigning UFC featherweight champion scoring wins in both meetings. That didn't keep Holloway from showing Aldo his respect, though, after the Brazilian earned a win Saturday night at UFC Fight Night 144.

"Not just the king of Rio," Holloway wrote on Twitter. "King of Brazil. King of defending champs. Congrats Ze Aldo. Nothing but love for you my bratha."

Holloway earned a third round TKO over Aldo in 2017 at UFC 212 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to unify the UFC featherweight titles. Later that year, he defended his belt with another third round TKO vs. Aldo at UFC 218 in Detroit.

- Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor took in the UFC's return to Brazil this weekend, watching like many others on ESPN+. McGregor posted on Twitter that he would "LOVE to compete" in Brazil for "all the passionate Brazilian fans."

During his pre-fight build with Jose Aldo, McGregor was very outspoken against the country. He was in attendance in 2014 for Aldo's fight with Chad Mendes.

"Notorious" did state that he was "so close to securing a bout in Rio last year. It was essentially a done deal." McGregor is expected to return to action later this year.

Source: wrestlinginc.com
    Would be cool to see Conor in Brazil.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

I don't know if anyone remembers the "Gingers have souls!" kid CopperCab but this is him now. He has never fought in MMA but he is calling out a bunch of MMA fighters in this video.....all 155'ers of course and he is probably over 200 pounds. Just thought it was funny.

https://youtu.be/BMhy6hR2Eak?t=101

Just the same as you

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Wasn't making any point larger point about bad decisions. Simply that if the NSAC was using the justification of "he made the sport look bad" is laughable when they do nothing regarding so many other things that do the same thing.

McGregor was "punished" for the dolly incident. And you are correct - its a separate entity. Different state, different authorities, etc. But hard to ignore a felony assault as an instigating factor.

As for the racism, do you mean specifically in this fight or more generally? In this fight, it was moreso about religion than anything, and some equally wonderful family attacks. Calling Khabib's manager a terrorist rat, offering Khabib alcohol, and calling his dad a coward. But he has a pretty big history of it. "Dance for me, boy". "Ride into his favela on horseback". "I want to turn favelas into sweatshops". Apparently calling Latino fighters "cholo". The Instagram controversy. Some people want to pass it off as "selling a fight", but few other fighters have to continually go to racially-offensive statements.

The UFC has never made an effort to hold McGregor accountable for his statements. He is clearly smart enough to know the line he is toeing. So again, my basic point was that its not a great look for the sports premier organization to be perfectly okay with the behavior but both the organization and a primary governing body to see a reaction to that behavior as completely unacceptable.
    Sorry Papiss, thought I'd responded.

Regarding the Dolly incident, NAC aren't going to further punish him for it unfortunately. Just the way it is. I can understand people thinking he deserves more punishment for it and stuff but...... the fight between Khabib and him was over. There was no need for further madness and it really isn't on McGregor for any of that imo. McGregor definitely wound Khabib up but Khabib and his team didn't need to do anything other than celebrate their victory. I still find Khabib and his team at fault for the brawl.

Specifically, I meant this fight. I know McGregor's a racist clown with what he was saying to Nasukawa. Regarding the trash talk with Khabib, I don't think it was over the line to offer Khabib a drink... that's just McGregor taking the piss and anyone offended by that is going to struggle to not be offended at most things in life. Regarding Khabib's manager... I imagine you've done your research on him but I side with McGregor when it comes to Abdelaziz. I'll stop short of calling him a terrorist rat but there is a lot out there to suggest something is amiss with that guy. That being said, there's also some sort of connection with Khabib, his team and Ramzan Kadyrov too. So I do think McGregor has every right to call out Abdelaziz for those things if he wants. It's not made up trash talk to sell a fight, it's legit. Calling Khabib's dad a coward isn't much imo. If Khabib's dad was dead or something then yeah, that'd blow.

The favela stuff was pretty funny, I thought, in all honesty. Chael Sonnen has done things like that too iirc. I don't think it's intended racism as much as an easy go-to for insulting Brazillians. You've had dudes reference Leprechauns and Irish stereotypes when shittalking McGregor too. It works both ways. I'm not excusing him at all but I think most people are tuned in enough to know McGregor's a character rather than being serious about MOST of the things he says. Again, it's not an excuse.

The real issue isn't the organisation or commission's handling of these things. It's the fans. MMA fan culture in the west is pretty much centred around talking mad shit. No fight is more interesting than the one with two dudes talking shit to each other - no matter what.

But as I've said, fuck both these guys. They're both assholes and people taking sides should realise that. I personally think Khabib should've been stripped of the belt for getting rocked by Dillon fucking Danis of all people But seriously, I think those who are siding with Khabib on this are just using whataboutery to excuse his actions. I don't care what's been said... you don't behave like that after a fight ever. You just beat the dude. Enjoy it. Don't jump into the crowd and try to attack his buttbuddies. Edit: forgot to add that, as an isolated incident, Khabib absolutely deserves a huge amount of punishment compared to McGregor. Maybe the athletic commissions will start regulating trash talk and shit. But I'm guessing NSAC didn't want to punish McGregor for things like the Dolly incident here because it didn't happen in their state, McGregor was punished already and it'd open a huge can of worms if retrospective punishment was being used against fighters.

---

Separate topic:

I really wish there was a way to share UFC fights with those who don't have Fight Pass. Would really like to start doing threads in here like Best Fights of 2010, Best KOs of 2010 etc etc. Could be fun.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 02-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information