Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Status

Re: MMA Random Discussion Thread

This card is completely trashed. The main event isn't McGregor's fault - it was a mess already because of Ferguson's injury, Holloway having trouble making weight (predictably), etc.

Not sure why the whole shitshow yesterday amuses me so much, but its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion where the only potential fatalities are UFC careers. According to Dana White (trust level - 1.4%), he was texting with McGregor afterward and there was regret expressed for the consequences but not for the actual incident. To McGregor, this was "necessary and justified". Which is hilarious and scary at the same time. Nurmagomedov has been talking shit about McGregor, trying to bait him into a fight that McGregor seemed to have little interest in. The "showdown" between Nurmagomedov and Lobov the other day looks to have been instigated to some level by Lobov, yet that seems to be why McGregor thought this was "necessary". Oh irony that someone using a typical McGregor approach (the trash talk to build to a fight) and someone get salty and getting worked by it all (Lobov) leads to this... stupidity.

Imagine if instead of throwing a hand-dolly at a bus full of fellow fighters, Conor waited until Nurmagomedov predictably won the title fight on Saturday, came into the cage afterward, and had words. Maybe a scuffle but nothing that would have his UFC future and legal future up in the air. What happened to the brilliant talker who knows how to sell any fight?

I don't buy the UFC having the balls to outright fire McGregor. But dynamics have now shifted.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Ragin Al is in

other things ive seen:

- NYSAC ruled Holloway out based on looks rather than medical evidence
    - Pettis considered to not be medically fit enough for five round fight
    - Felder unranked and so disqualified from facing Khabib

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    This card is completely trashed. The main event isn't McGregor's fault - it was a mess already because of Ferguson's injury, Holloway having trouble making weight (predictably), etc.

Not sure why the whole shitshow yesterday amuses me so much, but its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion where the only potential fatalities are UFC careers. According to Dana White (trust level - 1.4%), he was texting with McGregor afterward and there was regret expressed for the consequences but not for the actual incident. To McGregor, this was "necessary and justified". Which is hilarious and scary at the same time. Nurmagomedov has been talking shit about McGregor, trying to bait him into a fight that McGregor seemed to have little interest in. The "showdown" between Nurmagomedov and Lobov the other day looks to have been instigated to some level by Lobov, yet that seems to be why McGregor thought this was "necessary". Oh irony that someone using a typical McGregor approach (the trash talk to build to a fight) and someone get salty and getting worked by it all (Lobov) leads to this... stupidity.

Imagine if instead of throwing a hand-dolly at a bus full of fellow fighters, Conor waited until Nurmagomedov predictably won the title fight on Saturday, came into the cage afterward, and had words. Maybe a scuffle but nothing that would have his UFC future and legal future up in the air. What happened to the brilliant talker who knows how to sell any fight?

I don't buy the UFC having the balls to outright fire McGregor. But dynamics have now shifted.
    The main event was definitely not Conor's fault. But his actions derailed 3 fights and could possibly affect a fourth if Rose is shaken up as badly as reported and it affects her fight.

Everyone saw the Max stuff coming. Dude weighed close to 180 on Sunday. I do applaud those in charge for pulling him out if he looked that bad because holy shit would that have made the entire debacle even worse.

If Conor is actually apologetic he should be fronting the medical costs for those affected BEFORE any potential lawsuits deem it necessary. He's going to be getting his dick sued off no matter what. But if he's actually sorry he should step up and pay their medical fees and bus repair. If you're the UFC this is the perfect opportunity to actually punish the guy and make it a heavy handed response and set a precedent.

He's already being stripped of the title so that doesn't even matter. Him holding the title doesn't matter anyway since he doesn't defend anything he wins. Do you suspend him? For the rest of the year? 6 months? Either way a suspension will be laughed at because they can just suspend him long enough until they want him to fight. That doesn't factor in potential Athletic Commission suspensions or anything. Do you fine him? Lilke a million dollars? Do you go way above and beyond something like a traditional fine just to really stick it to everyone that this is bogus and he's gonna pay?

Even with the legal stuff involved the UFC has to put their foot down and really stomp on Conor here to set a precedent. If they slap his wrists, suspend him for 6 months and then bring him back towards the end of the year for a title fight then they're gonna look like a fucking joke.

Status

Fabricio Werdum has been USADA'd

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Colby covington spiked his protein shake

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

I see the Chick Magnet got destroyed again last night. best in the world~

Wonder if he'll call it a day now at the MMA gimmick. Move onto another non-wrestling venture or become #AllIn

Status

Terrible fight last night

Just imagine how much Punk would get stomped if he fought someone who was actually good at MMA and not jobbers like Gall and Jackson. Holy shit.

Big ups on his heart though.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

It was embarrassing. Punk had a decent (by his standards anyway) first round and there was some optimism but he gassed out early 2nd round, maybe late first round and it was sad from there on out. Jackson just toyed with him and dominated him for the rest of the fight. It was utter embarrassing that this was on a UFC PPV. Neither should fight at this level again imo and Punk should stop altogether. It's so clear that he isn't up for it. I credit him frying but it wasn't meant to be.

Also that last fight was awesome!!
    Spoiler:

Status

bobby fucking knuckles is the man

fookin straya!

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Cheese!

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Cant rEally describe just how damn good Bobby Knuckles is. You look at the way that Yoel has murdered everyone else in the division, his finishes of Lyoto, Weidman, and Rockhold in particular are some of the most violent finishes ever. He's looked like a Champion for his entire career, and it always seemed like it was just a matter of time before he actually would be. The fact that Whittaker has beat him twice now is incredible. To go 50 minutes with a murderer like Yoel and not get finished is crazy. This was an amazing fight too, big ups to Yoel for having an immense 5th round, he didnt fade badly like he did last time around and BIG ups to Rob for surviving those onslaughts in the 3rd and 5th rounds. Sadly for Yoel I think he's not going to be a Champion at this point, hes 41 and Robbie is his kryptonite, Robbie is the one MW on earth that can withstand Yoels power. So Yoel is going to easily go down as the greatest UFC fighter to never win UFC gold, he's only bested by Fedor in being the greatest fighter overall to never win UFC gold.

But god damn, gotta say it again just looking back at everyone Yoel has killed, pretty much every top MW in the UFC and Robbie has beat him twice. Incredible. Amazing to know that a Kiwistralian is the best MW MMA fighter on the planet. I mean if Rob was still a WW then Yoel would be MW Champion for as long as he wanted to be...weight cut permitting.

Sucked to see Megan lose to Holm. She was the one new potential star 145 has and she just got dominated by womens MMA's ultimate gate keeper. I have to say though Hollys striking has just never crossed over to MMA very well, she knocks out dumb brawlers but anyone with even decent striking lights her up with ease. Megan is a good striker, but Holly is multiple time World Boxing Champion yet Megan was easily winning the striking exchanges.

CM Punk is the biggest can in the history of MMA. Any of the women in the UFC would smash him. Dana White would smash him. Dana Whites Grandmother would smash him. He's just absolute shit in every sense of the word. How does he still have basically zero technique even after what 4 years training? How after 4 years at a great gym is he still completely devoid of any talent whatsoever? He looked like a fan in there. He looked like someone who had watched MMA but never ever competed or trained and was just doing what he saw on TV. That guillotine attempt of his was the sadest thing I've ever seen in combat sports. Jackson could have crumpled him at any point he wanted too, which is why the talk of Punks heart astounds me. Its not like Punk was getting obliterated but fought through a hellacious beating ala JDS/Cain II. Jackson took it easy on him and was just throwing him around and caving his face in with low power shots. An amateur, regional level fighter took it easy on Punk and still murked him without breaking a sweat.
    Last edited by ETE; 06-10-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

Status

yeah pretty much

CM Punk is the shittest professional MMA fighter ive ever seen I think

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Cheese!

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    yeah pretty much

CM Punk is the shittest professional MMA fighter ive ever seen I think
    I genuinely cant think of anyone who looked worse than Punk did. Its not just that he was beaten badly, its that he was beaten so half heartedly. Jackson is no World beater yet he could just cruise along and toy with Punk and still kick his ass. And the complete lack of technique on Punks part is ridiculous. I honestly question if he has actually trained at all. Nothing he did was with any real technique, it just looked like one of us stumbled into the cage and knew what the moves are from watching for years, but had no idea how to do them.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

God's Gift to God

Status

I don't really buy that he's been full on training for 4 years. There's no way lmao. I believe he trained a decent amount but there's no way in hell he was a gym rat like the narrative that developed tells us.

Before rogan said it on commentary I said to my buddy that Jackson is throwing punches that someone getting paid to keep the fight going would throw. How that dude doesn't go in there and rip punks head off and kick it into the crowd is beyond me. Shouldn't he have been trying to look somewhat impressive to get another fight? Wtf was that shit

Meh

Status
      Country                    United States

The biggest issue is that CM Punk is just not an athletic person. At all. He has no sports history, is not built at all for sports, and he hits like a wet noodle. He said numerous times in the past he almost never goes to the gym, and he was totally skinny fat half way through his WWE run. Even now, he has very little definition or muscle mass. Honestly, seeing how fast he runs out of steam and how non athletic it is, it's even more impressive how good he was as a pro wrestler.

He was completely gassed after the first round. His technique only mildly improved, and he still looks lost going against the lowest of the low tier there is in UFC. He got into MMA way, way too late in life for someone who has almost no fight training. And he's going against people in a league who start fighting, boxing, training daily since they were kids.

The worst part was, he took several hits while he was just trying to adjust his hair out of his eyes.

At the very least, he was humble and appreciative and can certainly take a punch. The guy he was up against just seemed awful, as well. Absolutely zero ability with grappling, and even with a background in boxing, he couldn't TKO Punk in RD 1? Or 2? Then just spent Rd 3 waiting for it to be over, and toying with him a bit? Comes off as a total asshole and moron, too. I saw Dana said he won't be fighting in the UFC again.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    The biggest issue is that CM Punk is just not an athletic person. At all. He has no sports history, is not built at all for sports, and he hits like a wet noodle. He said numerous times in the past he almost never goes to the gym, and he was totally skinny fat half way through his WWE run. Even now, he has very little definition or muscle mass. Honestly, seeing how fast he runs out of steam and how non athletic it is, it's even more impressive how good he was as a pro wrestler.

He was completely gassed after the first round. His technique only mildly improved, and he still looks lost going against the lowest of the low tier there is in UFC. He got into MMA way, way too late in life for someone who has almost no fight training. And he's going against people in a league who start fighting, boxing, training daily since they were kids.

The worst part was, he took several hits while he was just trying to adjust his hair out of his eyes.

At the very least, he was humble and appreciative and can certainly take a punch. The guy he was up against just seemed awful, as well. Absolutely zero ability with grappling, and even with a background in boxing, he couldn't TKO Punk in RD 1? Or 2? Then just spent Rd 3 waiting for it to be over, and toying with him a bit? Comes off as a total asshole and moron, too. I saw Dana said he won't be fighting in the UFC again.
    I totally agree and I love Punk, but I knew and hoped that his first fight would be his last and he did it again. Now he did better this time around, but the result was the same which was a loss. You are a right he started in MMA way too late in his life, if he would of started when he was in his early 20's and been fighting up to now he would of been a better fighter and have more experience in the Octagon. Either way the man has balls to get in there and take on the challenge, alot of people talk and say oh yeah I can do that, and he actually did it big props to him.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Meh

Status
      Country                    United States

The thing is, he not only jumped into MMA too late with little to no training.......He jumped right into UFC.

Not some smaller promotion, not any amateur MMA, etc.

See, Batista and Lashley had it right when they went where they did for MMA.

Lesnar did pretty damn good, but Lesnar is a life long athlete, and a freak of nature, genetics, and gear. And he had a lengthy background in amateur wrestling. Even then, he still got his ass kicked a few times.

But Lesnar is kinda the exception, not the rule.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah true he did go into the Ocean with Sharks and a Cut on his foot.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Thread Information