Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: MMA Random Discussion Thread

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
    That's not true. The Athletic Comission tests the fighters.
    Yes, the Commission. Not Bellator. And commission testing is as good as no testing at all, given that most commissions still only test on the night of the fight and only the very stupid get caught out with that kind of testing.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Anyone planning on watching RIZIN in a few days time? I was thinking about making a thread but not sure on what the interest is with regards to JMMA and UFC threads don't get much activity outside of the big events already. Anyways, here is the card - it might not be stacked with HUGE names but it's absolutely a card that people should check out IMO.

RIZIN Fighting World Grand Prix 2016 - 1st Round
    Date: September 25, 2016
    Time: 2:00 AM (EST)
    Venue: Saitama Super Arena

65.8 kg ~ 1 round x 10 minutes + 2 rounds x 5 minutes:
    Kron Gracie (2-0) vs. Hideo Tokoro (33-28-2)

49.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
    Miyu Yamamoto (0-0) vs. RENA (1-0)

RIZIN Openweight Tournament - 1st Round ~ 2 rounds x 5 minutes:
    Mirko Cro Cop (31-11-2, 1 NC) vs. Hyun Man Myung (3-2)

Kazuyuki Fujita (15-11) vs. Baruto Kaito (1-0)

71.0 kg ~ 1 round x 10 minutes + 1 round x 5 minutes:
    Andy Souwer (1-0) vs. Daron Cruickshank (17-8, 1 NC)

62.0 kg ~ 1 round x 10 minutes + 1 round x 5 minutes:
    Kizaemon Saiga (2-1) vs. Asen Yamamoto (0-1)

Jiří Procházka (17-3-1) vs. Mark Tanios (5-1)

Karl Albrektsson (5-0) vs. Valentin Moldavsky (4-0)

Amir Aliakbari (2-0) vs. João Almeida (4-1)​

Teodoras Aukštuolis (9-3) vs. Szymon Bajor (15-6)

67 kg ~ 3 rounds x 3 minutes:
    Minoru "Philip" Kimura (0-0) vs. Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett (29-30-2)

52.2 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
    Kanako Murata (3-0) vs. Kyra Batara (5-3)

Openweight ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
    Gabi Garcia (2-0) vs. Destanie Yarbrough (1-0)

I believe Wanderlei Silva and an unnamed fighter are getting byes to the second round of the Openweight GP for whatever reason. Kind of surprised they didn't give the bye to Cro Cop but I guess that they need big names still. He's fighting a can anyway so it seems. Cro Cop actually looks jacked as fuck if I remember right... no surprise. Alot of fights that might appear lopsided on this card (inc Cro Cop fight) but could be surprising.... Souwer vs Cruickshank should be an epic and Tokoro vs Gracie is very very interesting. Of course, main attraction for me is RENA and her forage into MMA continuing. She's fighting an old opponent but willing to bet that her opponent will put up a good fight... but RENA and soccer kicks need to happen in this fight plz. If you've got a few hours to spare on Saturday/Sunday, be sure to check this out. I think it's on Spike on Sunday night tape delay for americans but I know that it airs live at 2am Sunday morning/Saturday evening as well. 11am my time so should be fine to watch it I think. Forgot to mention - Krazy Horse being on this card is awesome. Guy's a great character.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status
      Country                    France

The RIZIN events have been fun so far, even though they kinda fly under the radar. The card is really solid, especially Souwer vs Cruickshank is such an awesome fight on paper.

#TheCount

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status

Small note, Dominick Cruz and Daniel Cormier will be doing full color commentary for the next two Fight Nights. Cruz & Anik in Brazil / DC & Anik (most likely) in Oregon.

Cruz should be awesome.

#TheCount

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Yeah Cruz should be really good.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Germany

All good, but why Anik? UFC must get rid of this manlet.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Status

Quote Originally Posted by LeBlanc View Post
    The RIZIN events have been fun so far, even though they kinda fly under the radar. The card is really solid, especially Souwer vs Cruickshank is such an awesome fight on paper.
    Souwer vs Cruickshank will be nuts hopefully.

For anyone interested, RIZIN is starting now and there is a free stream for NA and EU people at eversport.tv - completely legal. Not sure if they will show replays at the link.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Fearless University

Status

Charles Bennett just might be the GOAT MMA personality/character. Watch his fight and post fight interview if you haven't, I wont spoil it.

Status

Yeah I saw it.

He also scrapped with Wanderlei backstage apparently.

Amazing. Card has been pretty damn good.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Fearless University

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Yeah I saw it.

He also scrapped with Wanderlei backstage apparently.

Amazing. Card has been pretty damn good.
    Pure wildman!

Status

Truly a great event - entertaining spectacle. Cro Cop vs Wanderlei is happening!

Also RENA the GODDESS won with a figure four gullotine choke i think it's called. Good shit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

2x UFC Prediction Champ

Status

RFA 44, Fight Nights Global 52 (Maldonado fights), KSW 36 (Palhares & Sokoudjou each fight for a title), EuroFC 1 (Tom Niinimäki, Karl Amoussou, Hiroyuki Takaya etc.), ACB 47 from Glasgow (Robert Whiteford, Saul Rogers, Norman Parke, etc.), Pancrase 281.

A lot of MMA action this weekend, especially for European fight fans.
    Some Fight cards are not 100% accurate » https://grabakahitman.wordpress.com/...edule-928-102/

#TheCount

Status

Yeah, I'll probably check out Whiteford's fight. Maybe Fight Nights if it has the legendary commentator still. Pancrase 281 is definitely going to be watched, some familiar names there plus Mamoru Yamaguchi is always good fun.

In other, sad, news. Josh Samman is in critical condition in hospital after a suspect heroin overdose.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Pancrase 281 was a very solid event. I believe it was the first MMA event to be shown live on Tokyo television (apparently they tape delay by half an hour) - some really fucking good scraps. Some dude got a leg scissors choke that was nasty AF in the first fight.

My friends were at ACB last night, pretty pissed most Scottish dudes lost but at least Rab won.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

American Ninja

Status
      Country                    United States

Finally caught the full Rizin show late last night. I'm floating on cloud nine right now. That was just fun. This is the kind of MMA that I fell in love with. This thing could grow into a monster if they keep going like this. Absolutely can't wait for the next one.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-02-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Status

Yeah, It could become something special but UFC just dominates MMA to the point that I don't see RIZIN pulling in big names or a shit ton of money to compete unfortunately.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

American Ninja

Status

I'm dreaming of the glory days after watching that show. It's crazy how popular this shit got over there in the Pride/K-1 heyday. It was like MMA became a huge pop culture phenomenon over there for a little while, similar to the Attitude Era of wrestling here in the states in 98-99, I doubt it will ever get back to that level but a man can dream. Maybe they can create a few new stars over there and capture lightning in a bottle the way UFC did with Conor/Ronda. Easier said than done but they definitely nailed down a great vibe for that promotion, within just 2 shows.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-02-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Status

They've had four shows (they had two year end shows - they're repeating the similar formula this year too) - they've definitely managed to make themselves a PRIDE/DREAM clone but that is expected since it's Sakakibara anyways. I think they were just really into the freakshow fights and stuff but I wasn't into MMA much when PRIDE was huge so I couldn't really accurately comment on something like that. I'm not an expert on Japan so I don't know anything about how MMA is viewed there but it definitely seems like popularity has declined. The thing is - there's still plenty of MMA action in promotions outwith something like RIZIN such as Pancrase and Shooto (readily available on Fight Pass BTW) but they aren't like RIZIN. There is also DEEP and DEEP JEWELS (all female) that can be watched. Of course, asian MMA isn't limited to Japan - you've got other promotions like ONE FC - which is probably bigger than RIZIN tbh.

Right now, it's clear RIZIN are trying to push Gabi Garcia, Kanako Murata, RENA and Kron Gracie. The problem is - they're not going to be fighting any big names to get any interest in them. Gabi Garcia is going to be fighting cans for her entire career, Kanako Murata has a legit chance of becoming a star, RENA is splitting her time between shootboxing and MMA it seems so I am not sure if she is going to be fully focused on her career... plus she's an atomweight - there's not many well known atomweights for her to fight and there's no chance they give her a strawweight that can take her down. UFC/Bellator have all the legit talent in their promotions and it's going to be hard to draw when your card is full of no namers. Some people will tune in for nostalgia but eventually viewership will drop because people will stop caring about the fighters.

I want to see them successful but there's no chance for them to compete with the UFC. Wanderlei Silva vs Mirko Cro Cop is the big draw for their year end events. That's not especially good. It's great for nostalgic purposes but it's bad in terms of making new stars. It'll be fun to keep up though. If you're interested in JMMA though you should definitely check out the promotions i've mentioned above.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

BTB Legend

Status

Comment

Given the Yakuza scandal that killed PRIDE, it's very likely that anyone being involved with RIZIN who was involved with PRIDE, especially Sakakibara, will count against them when it comes to getting a proper television deal, and without one, RIZIN don't have a long-term future. They might survive for a while doing events built around freakshows or other 'outside the box' attractions, and that's really all they have right now, but that doesn't have legs over the long haul.

The best comparison to MMA in Japan post-PRIDE would be professional wrestling in Japan post-Rikidozan's death. The nature of Rikidozan's death, stabbed to death by a member of the Yakuza which in turn brought to light the close ties between the Yakuza and wrestling, pretty well killed wrestling in Japan for a long time. It took a long time before wrestling came back to life, but it did, and there was the eventual resurgence, and it reached levels comparable to its former glory. MMA will likely be the same. When the UFC brought PRIDE, they wanted to run it separately, as its own promotion, in Japan, but the negative taint of the Yakuza made it impossible to get a television deal, and without it, PRIDE Mk II was dead in the water.

Eventually, though, the Yakuza taint be forgotten, or at least those in power won't have any real knowledge of it, and Japanese MMA will get the kind of television deal it needs to make a proper resurgence, and we'll have the next glory days. Until then, however, it's decidedly a second-tier sport in Japan.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

American Ninja

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    They've had four shows (they had two year end shows - they're repeating the similar formula this year too) - they've definitely managed to make themselves a PRIDE/DREAM clone but that is expected since it's Sakakibara anyways. I think they were just really into the freakshow fights and stuff but I wasn't into MMA much when PRIDE was huge so I couldn't really accurately comment on something like that. I'm not an expert on Japan so I don't know anything about how MMA is viewed there but it definitely seems like popularity has declined. The thing is - there's still plenty of MMA action in promotions outwith something like RIZIN such as Pancrase and Shooto (readily available on Fight Pass BTW) but they aren't like RIZIN. There is also DEEP and DEEP JEWELS (all female) that can be watched. Of course, asian MMA isn't limited to Japan - you've got other promotions like ONE FC - which is probably bigger than RIZIN tbh.

Right now, it's clear RIZIN are trying to push Gabi Garcia, Kanako Murata, RENA and Kron Gracie. The problem is - they're not going to be fighting any big names to get any interest in them. Gabi Garcia is going to be fighting cans for her entire career, Kanako Murata has a legit chance of becoming a star, RENA is splitting her time between shootboxing and MMA it seems so I am not sure if she is going to be fully focused on her career... plus she's an atomweight - there's not many well known atomweights for her to fight and there's no chance they give her a strawweight that can take her down. UFC/Bellator have all the legit talent in their promotions and it's going to be hard to draw when your card is full of no namers. Some people will tune in for nostalgia but eventually viewership will drop because people will stop caring about the fighters.

I want to see them successful but there's no chance for them to compete with the UFC. Wanderlei Silva vs Mirko Cro Cop is the big draw for their year end events. That's not especially good. It's great for nostalgic purposes but it's bad in terms of making new stars. It'll be fun to keep up though. If you're interested in JMMA though you should definitely check out the promotions i've mentioned above.
    I watched some of the Pancrase on Fight Pass and didn't really care for it, they went to a cage and use the regular North American MMA rules now. I like the ring/Pride rules. Haven't watched any Deep or Shooto in a long time.

Thread Information