Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: MMA Random Discussion Thread

Anyone been watching Fightlore on fight pass? It's really fucking good. I love these behind the scenes stories of things. Diaz/Riggs and Griffin/Bonnar episodes were great. Must see for any UFC fan imo.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Anyone been watching Fightlore on fight pass? It's really fucking good. I love these behind the scenes stories of things. Diaz/Riggs and Griffin/Bonnar episodes were great. Must see for any UFC fan imo.
    I haven't seen any of it yet, I'll check it out based off your recommendation though.

I just finished the Glover/Smith card. Holy shit that fight flipped on its head after the second round.

DC blaming the corner for Smith gassing was pretty interesting, I wonder if it was a factor. In Smith's big fights, it feels like he starts sluggish, overcomes adversity and finds a way to win. It's almost like he just didn't know how to pace himself because he started so well.

Their verbal exchange on the mat in the fourth round was hilarious.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Anyone have any interest in maybe doing a rewatch type thread for classic events? I was thinking of potentially starting up a PRIDE rewatch thread for shits and gigs. Probably mix in a few classic K1 events as well.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Urgent exit required.

Status

For anyone interested, Charles Oliveira has been stripped of the UFC Lightweight (155lbs) title after missing weight by half a lb. Apparently alot of fighters are claiming that the scales were rigged to be 0.5lbs heavier too. Mad drama. Gaethje is eligible to win the belt today but not Charles now. Madness.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I just dont understand how he couldn't cut that half a pound in an hour. Just seems really weird.

Still hoping Charles wins though. Absolutely cannot stand Justin, hell of an entertaining fighter but ever since he's started talking in recent years he's become the most unlikable douchebag in the sport.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I just dont understand how he couldn't cut that half a pound in an hour. Just seems really weird.

Still hoping Charles wins though. Absolutely cannot stand Justin, hell of an entertaining fighter but ever since he's started talking in recent years he's become the most unlikable douchebag in the sport.
    You wouldn't think half a pound in an hour would be a lot. With that being said though, there were already talks during this week of his increased muscle mass. For all we know, he was already depleted as it is.

I kind of agree with you on the Justin stuff. Maybe took me a little longer to realize but the way he talks about the Chandler fight really irritates me. I do still want him to win though. Mainly because I can't be assed with the whole title being held up thing if Oliviera wins.

Urgent exit required.

Status

He said he was on weight too so yeah definitely is something up.

I think Gaethje winning makes things interesting but he has become a bit of a douche. I don't keep up much with what fighters are saying anymore but I do remember him saying some pretty idiotic stuff.

Should be a good fight but I just see Gaethje sleeping Charles in the first for some reason. Hope Shogun does the same to OSP.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Chopped Liver

Status
      Country                    Europe

Disappointing outcome especially with a number of people claiming fuckery with the scales and puts a bit of a dampener on the fight; Oliveira winning would be pretty anticlimactic now. That said, I’d be leaning toward Gaethje anyway for this. Should be a highly entertaining card though beyond that.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Yep, card is stacked for sure. I just know watching Cowboy's potential last fight is going to hit me right in the feels. Hoping he pulls out the W.

Liv Forever

Status

Rules are rules and all that, and ultimately Charles missed weight. But I cant help but find the whole thing silly really, half a pound overweight, when we all know that come fight time both theseguys will be MW's anyway. I could see Gaethje pushing over the MW limit and being a LHW by the time he gets in the cage.

Weight classes are such a joke in MMA. Like I'm an Olivera fan but its silly to call a guy the best 155er in the World when he's actually a MW or even LHW. And that goes for every weight class.

Liv Forever

Status

Rose v Carla II might just be the worst fight of all time, that was so bad.

Now granted Carla wasn't super active herself but she was at least clearly still trying. But Rose's performance was down right pathetic. Just ran for the entire fight, no interest in engaging, no interest in fighting, clearly scared of the grappling. She's been talking about how she's the GOAT 115er and then goes out there and puts on this performance.

Horrific.

On a positive note, Chandlers KO of Tony was incredible. Great fight all round. Neither guy can have a boring fight. I do have to say though this was shit match making because someone had to lose when both guys really needed a win. Should have thrown Tony a gimmie just to get him a win and get his groove back. Now he's lost 4 in a row, and if Chandler had of lost he'd of been on a 3 fight skid.

EDIT: I know 155 is in a shit spot now with no Champ but damn that was satisfying seeing Justin tapped out again. Great fight, fun fight, but Justin is just such a D-bag, love seeing him lose. Hopefully now he and others will finally put some respect on Charles name and quit labelling him a quitter. Dudes nearly been finished in all his recent fights but comes back to finish the other guy and he still has his heart questioned.
    Last edited by ETE; 05-08-2022 at 01:02 AM.

Status

EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Charlie Olives is some real shit fellas.

Rose shat the bed, lmao

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

A little late but just posting some love for JJ. A sad way for her to go out to get flatlined like that, but wow. What a career! Her fights constantly stole the show for years, her striking ability was on seemingly another level for so long.

Main event was pretty amazing as well, and it was a nice change of pace to see Shevchenko get tested for a change. No idea how that one judge had it 49-46 for Valentina, Santos took two rounds at the bare minimum.

That orbital bone injury from the head clash is a damn shame as well. I know it's hard when the usual dominant champion retains, but I'd love to see a rematch between these two down the track.

Urgent exit required.

Status

JJ has been fun but I think Rose stole her soul unfortunately. I really liked JJ when she broke out in the UFC but she sorta turned heel and I ended up preferring Karolina as my Polish pick.

Jiri vs Glover was epic what a fucking match and outcome. If there was in play betting and you had the balls to smash money on Jiri R5 sub going into the 5th? Cash money ass. Definitely going to be a rematch down the line.

RIZIN just announced that Floyd Mayweather will return on Sep 22 for a boxing exhibition wirh Mikuru Asakura (one of their biggest stars). Seems like thats what they do now - feed their stars to Mayweather.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    JJ has been fun but I think Rose stole her soul unfortunately. I really liked JJ when she broke out in the UFC but she sorta turned heel and I ended up preferring Karolina as my Polish pick.

Jiri vs Glover was epic what a fucking match and outcome. If there was in play betting and you had the balls to smash money on Jiri R5 sub going into the 5th? Cash money ass. Definitely going to be a rematch down the line.

RIZIN just announced that Floyd Mayweather will return on Sep 22 for a boxing exhibition wirh Mikuru Asakura (one of their biggest stars). Seems like thats what they do now - feed their stars to Mayweather.
    We could've been rich... I think the interesting thing about this one is whilst the fight was phenomenal, both men made plenty of strange positional/strategic choices throughout. I'm still not sure if there's one guy that stands above the rest as the best in that Light Heavyweight division anymore, and I mean that in a good way. Kind of exciting.

I don't even watch/care about the Floyd exhibitions anymore to be honest. I've lost interest.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    We could've been rich... I think the interesting thing about this one is whilst the fight was phenomenal, both men made plenty of strange positional/strategic choices throughout. I'm still not sure if there's one guy that stands above the rest as the best in that Light Heavyweight division anymore, and I mean that in a good way. Kind of exciting.

I don't even watch/care about the Floyd exhibitions anymore to be honest. I've lost interest.
    Yeah, the fight was not technically great but just the ups and downs of it were intense. Jiri using a cage escape to get a no hook rear naked was batshit - 30 secs to go as well! I thought Jiri was going to piece Glover up inside two boy how wrong was I?

Agreed on there not being a 'guy' that stands out at LHW but if Jiri can win a rematch and take out next few challengers then we have the guy. But yeah, that fight showed some extreme holes in Jiri's game that are there to be taken advantage of.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Just some general thoughts on 276...

Adesanya doing Adesanya as champ things. Nothing overly exciting here, but he used his unique control of range and defense to basically stifle any of Cannonier's weapons.

Adesanya's Undertaker homage entrance was awesome.

Volkanovski is a machine. He looks better every time he fights, although Holloway definitely didn't look like Holloway. I wonder if based on the first two fights, Holloway went for less volume and tried to pick his shots a little more, or if he was just deterred by getting out struck in the early rounds. He didn't look or fight like the usual Max Holloway. Credit to 'THE GREAT' though, he is the man. Really want to see him have a run at that champ/champ status.

Still crazy how Pereira is probably going to get a title fight now. The story obviously speaks for itself with his and Izzy's kickboxing history. I will say the knockout on Strickland was damn impressive, and man was I happy to finally see Strickland lose. Can't stand that guy.

Been a big Barberena fan for an eternity now, so happy for him to get a big win here. This fight with him and Lawler was probably my favourite of the night. They both seemed content to stand and trade. Some of those front elbows from BB were nasty.

Munhoz/O'Malley still felt like it could have went either way so disappointing for the ending to occur the way it did. Usually when fighters are using an "improper" technique (fingers not pointing up), I default to the fact that the fighter who poked the other fighter's eye should just lose. O'Malley had his fingers up though so seemed like one of those unlucky things. Should just rebook this fight.

Turner and Garry both put on performances that will do their careers no harm on such a big stage. Credit to Gabe Green for continuing to push forward and fight his ass off for three rounds.

And finally, Jim Miller deserves some respect for now having most UFC wins in history, and I certainly want to shoutout to Cowboy. Sad to see another absolute warrior retire. Going to miss the days Cowboy would seemingly fight every month.

Thought this event was a hit though.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Sad to see Lawler get beat like that. Get him Diego Sanchez and Johny Hendricks if he is still about.

Strickland was embarrassing, all that shit talk just to fight a world class kickboxer like that? Plodding forward, chin up, hands down, lmao.

Main event was boring as shit.

Volk is a g, that cut on Max was fuuucked

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Chopped Liver

Status
      Country                    Europe

What a crazy end to Usman/Edwards last night. That’s among the most shocking/bizarre turnarounds I’ve seen - to me, more shocking than Silva tapping Sonnen late on. Leon had basically folded up his tent going into that last round and didn’t even look like he wanted to be there. Pure insanity to connect with that Hail Mary.

And while a complete mess of a fight, Rockhold/Costa was about as engrossing a fight as I’ve seen in a long time.

That Khamzat/Diaz card being so bad that they didn’t even list anything beyond the headliner is a joke. Pumping out shows every week and selling a PPV with just one fight worthy of it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information