Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJPW The New Beginning - February 11th/14th 2014

Status

Re: NJPW The New Beginning - February 11th/14th 2014

Fairly new would be quite the understatement. WK9 was pretty much the only Japan stuff I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by PeepShow View Post
    Fairly new would be quite the understatement. WK9 was pretty much the only Japan stuff I've seen.
    Ah okay. Yeah, puro relies on tag matches as it's main staple. Especially for the minor shows (AKA Road to ___) it's not uncommon for like...every match except for a Young Lions match to be various tag matches.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

All I know is Ibushi and Honma is gonna be awesome. Great compliment to the 2/11 main.

EDIT: Also wouldn't be surprised if Fale/Okada's match is just being held off for a showdown next month at the New Japan Cup. Tonga & YOSHI-HASHI eating falls seems like a pretty solid buildup if that's where they go.
    Last edited by Zero; 01-22-2015 at 12:03 AM.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

After watching Wrestle Kingdom 9, I am really excited for both cards. Tanahashi vs Styles should be really good.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: The Official Puro Discussion Thread

Surprised no one has mentioned:
    Spoiler:

AJ Styles winning the IWGP Heavyweight title, The Young Bucks winning the Jr. tag belts and Gallows/Anderson winning the other tag belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

People's Champion

Status

NJPW The New Beginning - February 11th/14th 2014

Spoiler:

Surprised to see the title changes. Now Bullet Club need to get the IC and NEVER title to hold all them all.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Austerio View Post
    Spoiler:

Surprised to see the title changes. Now Bullet Club need to get the IC and NEVER title to hold all them all.
    I hope that bullet club gets all the titles and then gives them to Jarrett and he becomes emperor of Japan. Honestly fuck the bullet club, I'm so god damn sick of this shit, we already had the whole takeover/majority title holders thing what last summer? Just fucking end it please

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

You can't really blame The Bullet Club for anything, they go out and wrestle. If a company wants to put titles on them, who are they to say no if it fits the situation.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Komatsu/Tanaka: The Young Lion style is so different than the rest of the card and these two are great at it. I hope people who were hooked by WK don't forget about these two. The "rookie" struggle is great. If you haven't seen them before check this out.

Captain New Japan/Nakanishi vs Tiger Mask/Dorada: Nothing match. Dorada's awesome and it's nice he's getting a minor spotlight but everyone went nuts at Dorada pinning CNJ and the Jr/Heavy thing is fine but...it's still CNJ. The junior division is so bad right now. Hate seeing a spectacular talent like Dorada in such nothing matches. (Which will continue)

Conway/Owens vs Tenzan/Liger: This wasn't great or anything and most won't watch, but it was probably better than you think. Bruce Tharpe was being amazing as usual and that's worth it. The juniors weren't bad at all and the heavies tried their best. Solid **1/2 level match.

Ibushi/Honma: Hey here's something cool. A truly fresh matchup AND with two good workers. Is this NJPW? Ibushi topped much of this match and did good, but then Honma started to get his comeback and things got really awesome, the crowd loved him as usual. Would kinda like Honma to get a couple of upset wins in a row to add some drama to his matches. But still there's no doubt you should watch this. It was 12-13 minutes of some real good stuff.

IWGP Jr. Tag Titles: I miss when these multi-man Jrs stuff was more rare. And didn't have crappy wrestlers in them. But what can you do? I was expecting not to like this and the work met my expectations. Pass. The finish didn't bother me too much. The Bucks are the worst but RD is a pretty low bar anyway so it's okay.

IWGP Jr. Title: So the storyline leading into this on the "Road to" shows was Omega attacking Taguchi's anal cavity so you knew we were in for something special and it delivered. OHHH it delivered. Omega brought everything to the table here. Sloppy exchanges, cringe inducing comedy spots, video game moveset, Tom & Jerry level overacting, even attempted sodomy with a flagpole! Taguchi was just as bad for some of the time, better at others. But nowhere near good enough to save this. Please God forgive me, and Ed, Jim, indyfan, someone hold me back because I'm about to say something previously thought to be unthinkable:

The Young Bucks aren't my least favorite wrestlers anymore.

And I actually kinda liked Omega last year but this Bullet Club version? Why does this exist? Barring a reboot of Heroes of Wrestling this is a lock for my worst match of the year. I'm not even joking at this point. This match made me hate this company and wrestling as a whole. I HATE HATE HATED this match. There's nothing that could be worse than this this year. Fission mailed. -*****

Yano/Sakuraba/Okada vs. Yujiro/Fale/Tonga: Nothing match. Everyone pretty much sucked except Tonga who tried hard. Just watch the finish which Tonga made look awesome. Is it just me or is Fale actually getting worse?

Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI/Nakamura vs. Naito/Nagata/Kojima: Another nothing match but better than the last one for sure. Highlights include Ishii/Kojima putting in some good work. Naito getting a huge heel reaction & playing up his dick heel side which we haven't seen since his brief NOAH run, & YOSHI-HASHI working hard again.

IWGP Tag Titles: The match was what it was. Meiyu Tag were their usual awesome selves and G&G got carried to their second best match. The real story was the booking. Goto & Shibata get buried AGAIN!? A 1 month title reign after a year of build up and a crappy G&G reign? I was already in a bad mood due to the Jrs and I turned the show off after this. It's just stupid. The only way this is even a remotely good idea is if a NJC & title win over is in the cards for Goto or Shibata and this got the tag belts off 'em but somehow, I just don't see that happening.

Main: I came back around to this, and it probably wasn't great technically but the spectacle after Tanahashi took another insane dive and busted his eye all to hell took it up a notch and at least kept me into it. Tana likely got concussed though and it wasn't as smooth as it coulda been (thought their G1 Finals 3rd Place match was clearly better.) though I really liked the clever finishing run. Worth a watch surely, but definitely not to the 2 big matches of WK's level. Now as to the booking...typical US pandering by Jado & Gedo. It really doesn't make much sense either. AJ's a fantastic wrestler don't get me wrong, but his first reign bombed and Tanahashi brought it back. That's not even getting into the fact I'm the original Bullet Club hater and that act's obviously trash. Just remember this style of booking when you think NJPW has some hand in NOAH and how different they are. And also pray it never comes to pass.

Overall the show dragged a lot as a whole. But at least 3 matches were legitimately good, perhaps 1 or 2 were great depending on your tastes. Me personally, I hope the NJC goes better. Not holding my breath for 2/14.

Editing in some snowflakes since it was late when I wrote all this

Komatsu/Tanaka: **1/2
    CNJ/Nakanishi vs. TM/Dorada: **
    NWA vs. Tenzan/Liger: **1/2
    Ibushi/Honma: ****
    reDRagon vs. Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters: *3/4
    Omega/Taguchi: -*****
    Yano/Sakuraba/Okada vs. Fale/Yujiro/Tonga: *1/4
    Ishii/HASHI/Nakamura vs. Naito/Nagata/Kojima: **1/4
    Gallows & Gun vs. Meiyu Tag: ***1/4
    Styles/Tanahashi: ***1/2
    Last edited by Zero; 02-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

So 2/14 definitely overdelivered, particularly 2 matches. First of all props to Conway, Tenzan, & Tharpe. I was expecting a drudge of a match and they worked hard & played to the crowd. You got a well above average match. Give it a watch for FUN.

Now if you want GREATNESS: Makabe got a cold or something and sat out for these shows so they replaced him vs Ishii on this show with

Spoiler:

HONMA

~!

And what we got was a legit MOTYC in an already stacked year. The crowd was HOT and I can't begin to go into the level of action there was here. Better than their G1 match, maybe better than any WK match, you be the judge. But just watch this because it was so awesome.

Definitive New Beginning:

Komatsu/Tanaka - 2/11
    Mascara Dorada & Time Splitters vs. Young Bucks & Kenny Omega - 2/14
    Ibushi/Honma - 2/11
    Nakamura/Nagata - 2/14
    Meiyu Tag vs. Gallows & Gun - 2/11
    Conway/Tenzan - 2/14
    Styles/Tanahashi - 2/11
    Ishii/- - 2/14

They really should stop doing split PPVs. That's a show of the year candidate there.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Fuck.Me.

Just watched Ishii/Honma, they tore the place down, even more brutal than their G1 match together last year. Honmamania was running wild in Sendai. Totally a MOTYC.
    Last edited by Ed; 02-15-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information