Thread: JCP Starrcade 1983 Review

Starrcade JCP Starrcade 1983 Review

Starrcade: A Flare for the Gold
    November 24, 1983

The Assassins w/Paul Jones vs Rufus R. Jones and Bugsy McGraw
    BUGSY~! McGraw was a fun Eugene like gimmick from WCCW. Rufus Jones is the current Mid-Atlantic Champion and it probably best known for being the father (Well...adopted) of future WWE manager, Slick. The Assassins are of course Jody Hamilton, who I've been seeing a decent amount lately due to his return to WCW in 1993 as Paul Orndorff's manager. Meanwhile, Assassin #2 is played by future WWE superstar, Hercules. So basically, you have Rufus facing a wrestler that his son will eventually manage. Neato. Rufus is actually really popular and works a colorful and charisma loaded character that is all about that shucking and jiving. They may not be blood relatives, but I do not have a single problem believing that Rufus and Slick are related. The action with Rufus was good while the Bugsy stuff was mostly just having fun. Unique finish as Bugsy doesn't see a blind tag to Assassin #1 and Bugsy gets rolled up by #1 when he was facing the future Hercules. I had to rewind the video just to make sense out of that finish. ** 1/4

In the back, Tony Schiavone hypes tonight's special attraction of being in the dressing rooms all night long to see everyone preparing for their matches. All while Schiavone is talking, we see Ric Flair and Roddy Piper (Who is sporting a NJPW t-shirt) going over strategy.

Kevin Sullivan and Mark Lewin w/Gary Hart vs Johnny Weaver and Scott McGhee
    Lewin is the future Purple Haze, who would be a member of Sullivan's Army of Darkness in Florida. Weaver is best known for being the first wrestler to use the sleeper hold. Finally, McGhee is a young kid who had a lot of success in the Florida territory, having held the Florida Heavyweight Title earlier in the year. Both teams have one old veteran (Lewin/Weaver) and one fairly young wrestler (Sullivan/McGhee). The one who impressed me the most was McGhee. He was a really fast wrestler and for early 80's standards, he was a bit of a high flyer. He's certainly someone I would have liked to see against a meaningful singles star like Ric Flair. After a lot of face-in-peril work by McGhee, he finally got the tag to Weaver, but Weaver is pinned after being held by Hart and Sullivan as Lewin jumps off of the middle rope with a knee to Weaver's arm. It could have used some more time, but I dug this. ** 3/4

After the match, McGhee tries to get revenge by going after both heels and their manager. Hart pulls out a spike and Lewin grabs it to go crazy on McGhee. McGhee bleeds big time. Angelo Mosca runs out to try and make the save, but Lewin begins stabbing him in the arm with the spike. Lewin goes back to continue the assault on McGhee, which allows Mosca to recover enough to chase the heels out of the match. AWESOME post-match angle.

In the heel dressing room, Tony Schiavone is with Harley Race (NWA World Champion), the Briscos (NWA Tag Champions) and Greg Valentine (NWA US Champion). How very Four Horsemen like. Race reveals that he's in talks with the Briscos and Valentine to learn as much about Flair as he possibly can.

Abdullah the Butcher vs Carlos Colon
    This match may have the single best and most simple backstories in wrestling history. The match was BANNED in Puerto Rico, so Colon talked the promoters into booking the match here. Seriously, how bad ass is that? Obviously, Colon is the father of Carlito and Primo and the uncle of Epico. It was at the start of the year that Colon won the NWA World Title in one of Flair's unofficial title switches. The match was really short, not even five minutes, but it was exactly what it needed to be. Immediately, Abby begins using a foreign object on Carlos. Colon eventually takes the foreign object away and stabs Abby in the forehead several times, busting Abby open. There's a ref bump before Colon slaps on the Figure Four. A mystery man wearing a suit would jump in the ring and hit Colon in the head with some bad or something. With Colon out, Abby is able to cover him after the referee wakes up. Abdullah wins and the commentators get a good look at the mystery man. It's Abby's Puerto Rico manager and future long time WWE Spanish commentator, Hugo Savinovich! Now there's a name I wasn't expecting to find on this show! Not much of a match, but it's a small sampling of Abby's type of match. It provides some variety on this card. **

In the back, Schiavone talks with Angelo Mosca. Mosca has his bloody arm wrapped up. Mosca cuts this INCREDIBLE promo directed at Lewin. With so much anger and emotion, Mosca talks about how he looks at a bloodied McGhee and he sees his own twenty-one year old son. Mosca may have done a lot of horrible things in his life, but he's never stooped to something so evil. I don't believe I've seen a single Mosca match, but this guy sold me on a match between him and Lewin. It could be the drizzling shits for all I know, but I want to see it. It's what you call a money promo. If you have the WWE Network, check this promo out. The best part is the camera pans out and we see a still bloody and nearly unconscious McGhee sitting next to Mosca.

Dick Slater and Bob Orton Jr. vs Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood
    The heels are the lowlifes that collected the bounty on Flair's head earlier in the year to nearly end Flair's career. McDaniel is best known for being one of the old school names that Flair would always mention when talking about big names in the past. Lastly, Youngblood is one of Jay's two lesser talented brothers. The majority of the match saw the heels working over Youngblood in an extended face-in-peril sequence. Once McDaniel is tagged in, his role becomes clear. He goes on the warpath, easily beating up the heel duo. Once he gets just a tiny bit of heat on him, Youngblood tags back in so that McDaniel isn't the one who has to do the j-o-b. Youngblood is pinned after an Orton superplex. A simple, but well told tag match. ** 1/2

After the match, the real quality begins as the heels attack Wahoo. The heels take turns jumping on Wahoo's arm from the top rope and the apron while the other holds the arm out over the ring apron. I presume this was an arm breaking angle, but it's hard to be sure due to how little footage there is from month to month.

The Great Kabuki (c) w/Gary Hart vs Charlie Brown - NWA TV Title
    Sadly, the first and only dud on the show. Brown is the masked Boogie Woogie Man, Jimmy Valiant, who was one third of the Valiant Brothers and a fairly huge name in the Mid-Atlantic area. Valiant had lost a loser leaves town match with Kabuki earlier in the year, thus the creation of Charlie Brown. The problem with this match is that it's only ten minutes, but it's practically all rest holds. Brown sat on a sleeper hold for ages before it was Kabuki's turn to kill time with a claw. It's a shame the match is so mind numbingly dull as I dig the Kabuki gimmick and Brown is insanely charismatic. Finish sees Brown avoiding a charge in the corner and pinning Kabuki with an elbow. Charlie Brown is your NEW NWA TV Champion. However, since the match gimmick was that only the first fifteen minutes would have the stipulation of mask vs title and the rest of the sixty minute time limit wouldn't have anything on the line, the commentators aren't sure if Brown is the new champion or not. I literally had to check Wiki to see if Brown won the belt or not. Disappointing. Massively disappointing. 3/4 *

In the back, Bob Orton Jr. and Dick Slater are hanging out with Race, again telling Race everything they know about Ric Flair. Race promises to focus on Flair's neck in order to retain the title.

Dusty Rhodes is briefly interviewed. Rhodes challenges the winner of Race/Flair while predicting Race will win the match.

Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine - Dog Collar Match
    It was back in April that Valentine Piper's ear to cause the referee to stop the match and award Piper's US Title to Piper. The biggest flaw around the match is just that the commentators struggle with remembering whether Valentine's title is on the line or not. Ultimately, it isn't, but the commentators claimed it was earlier in the night and when Piper won, they originally called him the new champion. Once you get past that annoyance, this was a classic. It's just two bitter enemies beating the shit out of each other because they hate each other and because they're men. A good deal of Valentine's offense is built around focusing on Piper's previously injured each. Piper is more creative when it comes to using the chain though. He wraps it around Valentine's face (Mouth and nose), uses the ring post to use the chain as a pulley to choke Valentine and even in the finish, he wraps Valentine's legs up in the chain to assist in the pin. Piper's motivation in the second half was driven by constantly wiping blood away from his ear and looking at it. Every time he did it, Piper became more and more enraged. It's one of my favorite matches from the 80's and a showcase for how great of a gimmick match the dog collar match can be. Your Starrcade '83 MOTN. **** 1/4

After the match, Valentine disrupts Piper's celebration by wrapping the chain around Piper's neck and hanging him over the top rope.

The Briscos (c) vs Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood - NWA Tag Team Titles
    These two teams have been trading the belts back and forth for the last six months. The actual set up for this is sorta awesome as The Briscos refused to wrestle at Starrcade or defend the tag titles again against Steamboat and Youngblood. Promoter, Jim Crockett Jr, ended up buying one of their contracts from the Kansas City territory and rescheduled that date for this event. That's awesome. Angelo Mosca, still with the taped up arm, is the special guest referee. These days, the Briscos do not receive a whole lot of attention, but they were a great team. They both had this awesome smug facial expression that made you want to knock their teeth out. Things were kept simple in the match, but everything worked out well. There's some face-in-peril work, plenty of great tag team moves from the faces and the heels were still going strong in their later years. If you have the Network, check this out. Jay Youngblood doesn't receive nearly enough praise. *** 1/4

Harley Race (c) vs Ric Flair - NWA World Title - Steel Cage Match
    Flair had dropped the belt to Race earlier in the year. To try and get Flair off of his back, Race placed a $25,000 bounty on Flair's head. Dick Slater and Bob Orton Jr. collected the bounty, nearly putting Flair into retirement. Gene Kiniski, who had one of the longest single reigns as NWA World Champion, is your special guest referee. Unfortunately, Kiniski is possibly the worst referee of all time. He's a lot like Michael Hayes in the Flair/Von Erich cage match where he keeps interfering to enforce some super strict rules. Unlike with Hayes, there isn't a purpose to this. Kiniski is just hurting the quality of this blood feud by trying to keep the wrestlers from punching each other. It's incredibly frustrating. Flair and Race do try their best to salvage the match with their slow pace battle. Both men get busted open thanks to the cage. Thanks to Race accidentally headbutting Kiniski, the ref was on his knees when Flair hit a crossbody from the top rope, causing Race to trip over Kiniski and be pinned. Flair is your NEW NWA World Champion for the second official time. I liked the style and pace of the match, even if it may not be the cup of tea for newer fans. At the same time, this match could have been so much better had they just had a regular referee. It's still Flair in the 80's, so you know it's at least good. *** 1/2

After the match, there's a big celebration in the ring with a bunch of the babyfaces. Flair's new wife, Beth, jumps into the ring to get a kiss from her champion husband. Later, we're shown some random guy having to wipe some of Flair's blood off of Beth's face.

In the back, the celebrations continue with Flair and company. Dusty Rhodes, being a supreme dick, interrupts and reminds Flair about his challenge.

Overall
    As the commentators were sure to bring up throughout the night, Starrcade '83 marked the start of a new era of wrestling. While Starrcade '83 was hardly the first super show, what with WCCW's Star Wars starting in 1981 and the WWE running major stadium shows like Showdown at Shea in 1980, Starrcade is the first to stick around. The most surprising thing about this Starrcade event is first time around, JCP already understands exactly what this event should be. You put some of your biggest matches of the year on the event and your babyfaces win the biggest matches of the night. It's such simple booking, yet WCW in their peak years of the mid to late 90's, seemed to be completely hopeless when it came to booking Starrcade as their proper biggest show of the year. Even in 2014, this show holds up quite nicely. Your three main matches are all still quite good in these modern times, even if Flair/Race gets annoying thanks to the referee problem. There's a lot of drama and excitement throughout the undercard thanks to talent like Charlie Brown (Even if his match sucked), Angelo Mosca and Rufus R. Jones all connecting with the crowd better than 95% of the wrestlers of today. While I'm sure it's pure coincidence, this event also begins the road to Starrcade '84 with Dusty Rhodes challenging Ric Flair. Hell, you could say this begins the road to Starrcade '93 with Harley Race (Through Vader) looking to end Flair's career like he failed to do in 1983. Sadly, just like with Starrcade '87, JCP puts on this show to begin a new era and Vince McMahon is there to quickly raid the company. With 1984, McMahon would steal Roddy Piper, Greg Valentine, Bob Orton Jr. and The Briscos. Before Starrcade '85, McMahon would also steal Ricky Steamboat, Scott McGhee and The Assassin #2 (Hercules). This poor company puts on such a superior product than the WWE, but they're forced to consistently keep looking for new stars due to the regular basis of McMahon taking many of JCP's best workers. Still, Starrcade '83 is a really good 80's super event from a time period before PPV's.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: JCP Starrcade 1983 Review

Jim, this is a solid review I guess but what about Damien Mizdow?

Controversially, Piper/Valentine is my favorite match of the 80s over any Steamboat match, Flair match, Savage match, etc.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes View Post
    Controversially, Piper/Valentine is my favorite match of the 80s over any Steamboat match, Flair match, Savage match, etc.
    It's certainly one of the least questionable opinions I've heard from you.

I do think the overall story could have been improved a tiny bit had Piper won the title and the feud officially ended there. Instead, immediately after Starrcade, the US Title picture went in a completely different direction. Piper and Valentine were scheduled to have a US Title match on TV, but Dick Slater and Bob Orton attacked both men. With Piper hurt, Slater took his place and the heel Slater defeated heel Valentine to win the title. So for a very brief period, you had both babyface Piper and new babyface Valentine having individual feuds against Slater/Orton before Piper, Valentine and Orton all left in early '84 for New York.

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status
      Country                    United States

During the one week free trial of the network I actually got, I watched two shows. One was Vengeance '03 and the other was Starrcade '83. Unfortunately the Network was super buggy and I couldn't watch the main event that I was really looking forward to.*

It was a shame to see one of the biggest draws of the 60s/70s in Lewin so past his prime. Not that he or the match was bad but yeah. Not a big Kevin Sullivan fan at all and seeing him brought me down a notch.

Totally agree about Mosca. That angle and backstage promo was epic.

Again, it was hard to see one of the best hardcore brawlers in Colón put in such a subdued performance here. Still good for what it was though. Wish it was Chicky Starr instead of Abs though.

Their match was bad but give it up to Charlie Brown for dedicating his win to himself and being the favorite wrestler over Flair of that random woman fan that got interviewed.

Dog Collar match was awesome as everyone knows.

Love Youngblood. Love Steamboat. Love the Briscos. I liked rated both the tag and the cage (from what I remember of the main anyway) even higher than you did. Really good, old school stuff from everyone involved. I don't remember Kiniski's over the top reffing hurting the quality of what Race & Flair were doing which I thought was pretty darn excellent too much but the way you describe it I could very well change my mind upon rewatch.

This was a really good show with a lot of action, and at least a little something for everyone. Also of note was that the announcers were a HUGE upgrade on this show compared to modern guys. I know Caudle & especially Solie get criticized by some people for being "boring", but I thought they were smooth as silk on the mic and actually felt like real people that could have been on loan from a news or sports channel. Really enjoyed their work. Starrcade gets a big thumbs up from me.
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    During the one week free trial of the network I actually got, I watched two shows. One was Vengeance '03 and the other was Starrcade '83. Unfortunately the Network was super buggy and I couldn't watch the main event that I was really looking forward to.*
    Man, I do not miss the Network being so buggy that it was nearly unwatchable early on.

Their match was bad but give it up to Charlie Brown for dedicating his win to himself and being the favorite wrestler over Flair of that random woman fan that got interviewed.
    I don't know if I'd say Valiant was a good worker, but dude was certainly a super entertaining personality though.

Love Youngblood. Love Steamboat. Love the Briscos. I liked rated both the tag and the cage (from what I remember of the main anyway) even higher than you did. Really good, old school stuff from everyone involved. I don't remember Kiniski's over the top reffing hurting the quality of what Race & Flair were doing which I thought was pretty darn excellent too much but the way you describe it I could very well change my mind upon rewatch.
    My opinion has changed on the cage match over time. The last time I watched it, I gave it four stars. Trust me, the Kiniski crap is super noticeable since it never ends. If you'd like, I can upload the match though.

This was a really good show with a lot of action, and at least a little something for everyone. Also of note was that the announcers were a HUGE upgrade on this show compared to modern guys. I know Caudle & especially Solie get criticized by some people for being "boring", but I thought they were smooth as silk on the mic and actually felt like real people that could have been on loan from a news or sports channel. Really enjoyed their work. Starrcade gets a big thumbs up from me.
    I've always liked Solie and I've grown to like Bob Caudle as well. Their commentary is a million times better than you see these days since they're actually focused on the match and not talking about other things, joking around with each other about tangents or too busy getting in Vince's buzz words and favorite phrases across. They're there to call the action and that's what they do in a professional manner.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Jimmy Valiant was far from a great "worker" but the thing about Valiant was he didn't have to be a great worker to be effective he had so much charisma and was such a great talker that he could draw money pretty much everywhere he worked especially in Memphis working with Lawler.

Momoiro Nekketsu Seinen S-Mod

Status

Like I said, dude was people's favorite in North Carolina in the 80's. Though the masked man or "Midnight Rider" gimmick was pretty much the easiest babyface gimmick to pull off back then. My favorite was him as Handsome Jimmy in Memphis but I'm kind of biased because I think everybody's best stuff was in Memphis. But yep he was pretty fun to watch.

Sure, I'll give the cage another watch if it's not too much trouble, Jim. Like you said, it's 80's Flair. You can't not dig it. (Plus Race was kind of the man in his day too, even though he's a little long in the tooth by '83.)
    HEADBUTT~

Keep Dreaming~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status

Just watched this entire PPV for the first time. It's fun to see blood again, but wow they certainly take it to the extreme. That mat was frigging disgusting by the end of the night.

The first 5 matches were all watchable, and decent. But the final three were outstanding matches. As a kid I never knew how great Greg Valentine once was. Piper here too was gold, enjoyed his interview after his match. The Dog Collar match really is something that would be interesting to see in wresling today. Obviously it couldn't happen in WWE, I'm sorry but you need some blood in it for my liking. It just looks like a brutal match when you are watching, and I'm sure that chain couldn't feel good getting hit with it.

I haven't watched too much of The Briscos, but they were certainly fun to watch. Always been a fan of Ricky Steamboat, and never saw much of his tag team days.

Like you said the ref interference through the main even really fucked up the pacing for me. Was a solid match. Harley race at this point is in the twilight of his career I assume. Still really had this way about him. He just looked so badass, and from stories I've heard that's how he was in real life. Just did whatever the hell he wanted.

If you haven't seen this PPV I encourage you to at least watch the final three matches.

Character Jobber

Status

NWA in the 80's had many decent bloodbaths, and Piper vs Valentine is one of my favorite brutal matches of all time.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    The Dog Collar match really is something that would be interesting to see in wresling today. Obviously it couldn't happen in WWE, I'm sorry but you need some blood in it for my liking. It just looks like a brutal match when you are watching, and I'm sure that chain couldn't feel good getting hit with it.
    The problem with current WWE running dog collar matches isn't just the lack of blood, but also the ban on choking your opponent. They could do a dog collar match tomorrow, but it'd be pointless. It's why strap matches in general suck now and they should just do away with them and focus more on the gimmick matches that they can still properly do.

Harley race at this point is in the twilight of his career I assume.
    Um, I suppose that depends on what you consider a twilight of one's career. Race was still active for the rest of the decade. After Starrcade, the NWA Title picture became just about Ric Flair with WCW/JCP having virtually full control over the belt. Since Race was never a JCP guy and he was no longer champion, he generally stayed away from the territory, instead keeping busy in the St. Louis territory and going on frequent tours of All Japan for the next two and a half years. However, by that point, St. Louis was just about dead, so it's not as if modern wrestling fans are too aware of what Race did post-Starrcade '83 and pre-WWE. His WWE run between mid-1986 and the start of 1989 wasn't the greatest, but his 1987 was pretty good with Race getting a solid push as one of Hogan's challengers. Once he had his intestines surgery post-Wrestlemania 4, you could practically say everything after that until his formal retirement in 1990 was his farewell tour.

If post-Starrcade '83 wasn't the start of Race's twilight of his career, it was certainly the start of Race no longer being one of the top guys in the world.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I watched the Dog Collar match and the commentary is excellent. Gordon Solie putting over that Valentine injuring Piper's ear affects the balance of Piper and explaining the psychology behind it was brilliant. Simple but excellent.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I watched the Dog Collar match and the commentary is excellent. Gordon Solie putting over that Valentine injuring Piper's ear affects the balance of Piper and explaining the psychology behind it was brilliant. Simple but excellent.
    Imagine, commentary that actually adds to a match instead of just arguing, telling stupid jokes, or talking about what's currently trending! Who would have ever thought that the commentary can actually be a positive in wrestling?

/SassyJim

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Imagine, commentary that actually adds to a match instead of just arguing, telling stupid jokes, or talking about what's currently trending! Who would have ever thought that the commentary can actually be a positive in wrestling?

/SassyJim
    I really shouldn't be marking out at something that should always been done without thought. But yeah, I know. Was just think that when Piper was falling over, JBL would probably make a "joke" about him being drunk or something stupid like that. And Booker T, don't get me starting on what Booker T would say at that.
    Spoiler:

Thread Information