Release Date: February 14, 2019
    Studio: Twentieth Century Fox
    Director: Rupert Wyatt
    Screenwriter: Josh Zetumer
    Starring: Channing Tatum
    Genre: Action, Adventure
    MPAA Rating: Not Available
    Official Website: Not Available

Plot Summary: Created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee in 1990, the New Orleans native mutant quickly became a fan favorite due to his kinetic energy manipulation abilities and penchant for stealing. The character's only big screen appearance to date (outside his name being featured as an Easter egg in "X2") was in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," played by Taylor Kitsch.

-------------
    Last edited by Necro; 10-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Gambit (TBA)

I think what's going to happen is, were not going to any origin story with Gambit in the Age of Apocalypse movie, but this solo movie we will. If Tatum gets down the ascent for Gambit, he will be loved forever mon ami.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I don't mind him, but this fucker's in everything lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Ecstasy View Post
    I don't mind him, but this fucker's in everything lately.
    And...if he kills in his roles that's all that matters to me. Wait for the movie Foxcatcher, I heard the movie shows Tatum is more than a funny guy, he showed his other skills to play a serious actor.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

GAMBIT to Begin Filming in Louisiana in October; Budget Projected at $154 Million

With only one Wolverine movie left, Fox needs a modern mutant. They have Deadpool, but he’s an R-rated antihero and the handsome movie star is going to be wearing a mask most of the time. So it stands to reason that the studio is now looking at Gambit as a viable replacement for Wolverine. Rupert Wyatt’s movie, which stars Channing Tatum as the eponymous mutant, is set to open October 7, 2016, and Showbiz 411 reports that production is beginning this October.

Showbiz 411 also has a casting call, and the majority of the characters are criminals, so it looks like we’re gearing up for an origin story. For those who don’t know, Gambit was raised in the Thief’s Guild, which had a feud with the Assassin’s Guild. I don’t know if the film will break down into that specific conflict, but it’s definitely got a fair share of mobsters and thieves, and I like that. We need superhero movies that don’t have “end-of-the-world” stakes, and Gambit could comfortably exist at that level.

But that doesn’t mean it will be a small-scale picture, at least not where the budget is concerned. The Louisiana Economic Development’s “Fast Lane” website [via Comicbook.com], estimates “that the film will cost $154,975,309, over $111 million of which will be spent in Louisiana and about $30 million of which will go to local employees.” That’s a hefty budget for a film filled with street-level criminals, and it makes me wonder how many other super-powered people are floating around this story. Gambit’s already got himself an effects-friendly power: he charges things with kinetic energy and makes them explode.

Of course, a Gambit movie doesn’t necessarily need to cost an exorbitant amount, but I understand if the studio wants to load up on spectacle and make this character as popular as possible. Keep in mind that he probably won’t have an introduction before his solo movie. X-Men: Apocalypse takes place in 1983, so unless that movie jumps forward in time or if there’s a Gambit cameo waiting in Deadpool (which opens in February), then this is a character and world that’s going to have to win over audiences from the get-go.

Tatum is popular, but he can’t open a blockbuster franchise on his name alone, and even though the character was introduced in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (played by Taylor Kitsch), this may as well be a fresh start. Gambit is a fan favorite among 90s kids, but a successful franchise based on the character is far from a sure thing. As someone who will always have a soft spot for Gambit (because of the 90s X-Men animated series) but acknowledges that he’s kind of a dopey character, I’m very curious to see how this all comes together.
    This seems like a pretty tough role of the dice. I wonder what they have up their sleeves? 154 million dollar budget is nothing to sneeze at.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Re: Gambit (2016)

I'm not a fan of Tatum, but to be totally fair to him, I've seen Dear John and that's it... this is a VERY different film and I'll willing to give him a shot; I bitched about the casting of Ledger and Evans (as Joker and Cap) and they both proved me to be massively wrong, so I've learned not to judge a book by it's cover when it comes to stuff like this. Fox has also managed to always pulled it off pretty well with their Marvel properties in my opinion - I'm not including Elektra (because I haven't seen it) and I admit that Daredevil, the original Fantastic 4's and a couple of the X-Men flicks have issues, but as an overall group of films they keep the standard pretty high... especially the X-Men's, that hold up even when you watch them one after another and realise that there's a mega-fuckton of plot holes and contradictions in them.

Given that the Wolverine's have been a bit dodgy I do worry that solo X-Men film's might not be their greatest shot at making anything creatively excellent, but I'm sure they'll manage to make bundles of cash anyway and hopefully they'll be able to give us something that's at least worth a watch.

Colour me cautiously optimistic.

Fight The Power

Status

Feel like they should have given Taylor Kitsch another chance. He was the only redeeming part about X-Men Origins.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    Feel like they should have given Taylor Kitsch another chance. He was the only redeeming part about X-Men Origins.
    I'm willing to give Tatum a chance but you're right, he was pretty damn good in that film. He wasn't the only good thing though - I liked what Reynolds did with Deadpool at the beginning too; he was Wade Wilson... until they fucked him up and sealed up his mouth.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Channing Tatum Exits X-Men Spinoff Gambit

There’s a major shakeup today on 20th Century Fox’s side of the Marvel Universe as The Wrap is reporting that Channing Tatum has exited the upcoming X-Men spinoff, Gambit. The film was planned to go before cameras in October, although Tatum’s exit now leaves the film’s future uncertain.

It was recently announced that Gambit would be directed by Rise of the Planet of the Apes helmer Rupert Wyatt with casting reports coming in as recently as yesterday. Today’s update claims Tatum had been involved with screentests for the fim’s female lead with Blue is the Warmest Color and SPECTRE‘s Lea Seydoux among the actresses reading for the part.

With a screenplay by Josh Zetumer (RoboCop), Gambit was to be produced by Tatum and his creative partner Reid Carolin, along with X-Men franchise stewards Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner. It is unclear at this stage whether or not Tatum will remain on board the film as a producer, should Gambit move forward.

Currently, Gambit is scheduled for release October 7, 2016, planned to follow X-Men spinoffs Deadpool on February 15 and X-Men: Apocalypse on May 27. As always, check back for updates as they become available.
    Wow that was a weird twist. Shit seemed set in stone the other day, then this. Wow!

Fight The Power

Status

And now all is right.

Bring back Kitsch.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    And now all is right.

Bring back Kitsch.
    No one would trust him to carry top bill in this movie. If he was gonna get the part he already would have.

I'm bummed about this because Channing seemed excited about the project in a lot of interviews which makes me think something must be going wrong with this movie. Hopefully they can find another talented lead to stick in there and nothing else comes of it.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

God's Gift to God

Status

Give it to Ambrose

ily

Boobage Expert

Status

I'm on the bring back Kitsch team!

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think Channing Tatum has improved tons since he started popping up in bigger movies, he's a terrific and extremely fun lead, even in weak movies like the White House Down one, and hell, he was awesome in GI Joe even though the first was pretty weak, so yeah, I'm a pretty huge fan. I think he needs to take up a super hero movie sooner or later but disappointed this won't be the one.

I like Kitsch mind you, but if I was anxious about the Norton replacement of Hulk and that turned out great, so I didn't mind Tatum coming in, especially since he's not that bad.

The Osiris

Status

Meh, I don't think it really matters whom they cast for the movie so long as the role is written well and the actor can do a decent cajun accent. Most of these superhero movies can be performed by several actors when the roles are written and directed well, plus 65-805 of the movie depends on the special effects.

Plus, it's still Gambit, dude is as 90's as it gets, he hasn't been super relevant or popular since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legendary OG Kid
    Nerds like Nicky, Peepshow and Yeezus are considered cool here and a morbidly obese Booty is considered an OG here. Nicky is a tranny and he got more balls than you.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Wasn't Tatum at Comic-Con only the other week promoting this? Now he's out? Weird.

I wasn't attached to him in the role, and it's very doubtful the Kitsch will be getting a call at this stage; he's got the name to draw interest like Tatum does. Guess we'll just have to wait and see who they go with because quite honestly I can't even begin to think of anyone who I'd cast in the role if I was involved.

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Add me to Team Kitsch, however unlikely the casting is.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

It's another one that's not gonna happen, but Ian Somerholder is from Louisianna, he's damn pretty, about the right build, looks good with long hair... If Gambit were coming into a team movie, I'd call him a pretty good shout for the role. No way he could carry a solo venture though.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Who the hell approved a $154 million budget for this? The Wolverine only cost $120 million and that had a bonafide bankable star playing the character he's most well known for.

If Tatum bails, the smartest thing Fox can do is scrap this thing entirely.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Hey guys I’m cool

Status

And make a Longshot movie instead

Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information