Thread: It's the dawn of a new era in the FWA

Boobage Expert

Status

It's the dawn of a new era in the FWA

Its the dawn of a new era in the FWA
    By Lucy Pinder

There have been various eras in the FWA and they have gone by many names depending on who you are taking to. But in a general sense people usually break it up into 3-4 eras usually starting with the beginning, the decline, rebirth, new era and then the WC era. But there is a more simplified version of this presented by former FWA World Champion Chris Kennedy during an interview he did for ESPN he says this:
    FWA has been around 9 years and one can surmise that their are only 3 eras, each one spanning 3 years a piece.

Early Era (3 years) 2/5 stars.

Golden Age (3 years) 5/5 stars (will never be topped, but it can be equaled if we ever get back to that level of quality, community interaction and enthusiasm)

Modern Era (3 years) 3/5 stars.
    Okay so let's stick with that for this. The FWA is approaching Back in Business X this year and the eventual 10 year anniversary of the fed. This is a major milestone in the company as things begin to become more and more clear I believe that we are on the cusp of a brand new era, and it might just match the Golden Era....it might even excel past it in some ways. I'm not saying this to be inflammatory or create click-bait either. I'm just looking at the evidence and while it's a subjective conclusion let me present to you my case for the next era in the FWA.

First we have to examine the highs and lows of the eras that came before: The early era of the FWA AKA 2005-2008 the fed was just getting it's bearings. Some greats started during this time and a few were created but if they didn't make it into the golden age their legacy has pretty much faded away. I mean let's be honest; Hardware, Sean Keheller, Daniel Sinclair, Thew Carvell and others were impressive but they have kind of faded into history at this point. There are only a handful of people from that point in time even left. One of them is Ashley O' Ryan and he soon will be retiring. G-Rich is still around but in a management only position, he could probably still handle his own in a fight but he's gotten a little soft around the middle, he's not the same he was when he took on Ewan Edwards or Matt Boudreau. This era gets a lot of unneeded flack though, sure now looking back it's not as impressive but it started EVERYTHING this era made the FWA what it is today. And without it we'd be just another mindless federation, or worse we wouldn't exist at all. So he had highs like the creation of a brand, experimentation and just the bravado of trying to create a new kind of wrestling federation in the face of so many obstacles and adversity.

High Point: The creation of the FWA

Low Point: The near death of the FWA

Next we have the Golden Age which is around the time Tony Ray, Juvenille & Matthew Robinson took over the FWA. Brought back from the brink the FWA had new life and with this brought in Ray and Robinson's brand of handling new talent and fostering the divisions. With the added help of taking out unnecessary divisions (like the high fly title) and creating the soon to be prosperous X division an atmosphere of fairness and egalitarianism took control and helped the FWA stand out from other federations. This helped grow the FWA at a rapid pace, so fast in fact that other people like Chris Stallings, Mountain Rush, Stu St. Clair joined the helm. This eventually led to the creation of CrossFire which for two years was a stronghold and the measuring stick of creativity and storytelling in sports entertainment. Of course once CrossFire closed due to a shrinking roster and changing atmosphere at the PWS network that golden era came to an end. There was a lot of growth during this time but because of such a hard line egalitarian philosophy from Robinson certain wrestlers (particularly female were held back) and power house wrestlers were left to run wild in their respective brands (Matt Boudreau, APAB, Stu St. Clair, G-Rich) it was the height of what professional wrestling could be but it also exposed intrinsic problems with how the system worked in general.

High Point: Creation of CrossFire

Low Point: Cancellation of CrossFire

Now we're in the closing days of the Modern Era and it's becoming quite clear what it's legacy is. While the Golden Age was rebirth and growth this age has been about survival and adaptation. Saddled with issue after issue Devin Golden, Chris Kennedy, Adrian Wolf, Mac Michaud and notable others have helped lead the charge into the new era. Bringing in fresh young talent like Jason Gryphon as well as Drew Stevenson and letting grizzled veterans like Ryan Rondo, Jack of Diamonds and Gabrielle really have their moments to shine. This has been about not letting the FWA fall into disrepair. Closing down CrossFire was tough and unwanted, but ultimately necessary and while rumors will always buzz that one day the 2nd brand will come back it is clear that people like Devin Golden, G-Rich and others are more concerned with quality; not quantity. This has been about expanding the brand's influence both in sports and pop culture and they have been very successful with that.

The FWA should have died, PWS network was spiraling out of control and the writing was on the wall, then as the walls collapsed around them the management with the FWA screamed out "NEVER DIE" and fled to the WC network. It's been a breath of fresh air, outside of PWS the FWA has had a chance to really flourish without too much upper management breathing down our every details. Plus WC is established with it's own brand that's not in competition with the FWA (CWA) and a more laissez faire atmosphere where the wrestlers of the FWA aren't under a microscope. While people like Kellie are missed for their honest and often sharp sense of humor the Fantasy Wrestling Alliance has gotten a new lease on life and has found a new audience that might just prove to be bigger and better than the previous.

High Point: Moving to the WC network/celebrating 9 years

Low point: PWS Network shutting down; losing some important archives during the move

So now we are moving into a new era. If the rule of every 3 years is to be adhered to this 10 year of the FWA will usher in a new stage in the story. I believe that most of the old guard will be gone by the end of this era, I could be wrong; I am allowed to be every now and again. But let's look around at the dwindling forces from the previous PWS eras....Stu St. Clair is still around, he could be around forever, who knows? Ryan Hall is always kind of around, but he might be totally done for real this time. I don't expect him back unless its to help put over new talent in a short program. Ashley O' Ryan is retiring I could see him really never coming back. Thomas Princeton seems like he's about to reach a crossroads in his career, the same with Chris Kennedy and Brain Carter. Alexx is gone, who knows how many years Gabrielle Montgomery has left in her and Devin Golden is becoming more and more apart of the backstage scenes. There are others but let's face it, they won't be around forever. Even if they make it out of this era the clock is ticking for many of them.

Drew Stevenson, Jason Gryphon, Randy Ramon, KAIZEN, Marcus Thane, Ryan Rondo, Phillip A. Jackson, Beatrixx Black, Michael Garcia...may I list more? These guys are the future of the FWA and I think for the first time people including the veterans are okay with that. This has to be one of the strongest rosters I've seen in the FWA. I've been here for what 5 years now? It's incredible to see how quickly people have adapted to the style and the kind promos they're cutting and the consistency and fluidity of matches is top notch Golden Era stuff. But this will be a new age. I'm not sure what it will be called, maybe the Platinum era? Maybe the Crystal era? Nah, who the hell cares what they end up calling it. It's a new day and we're all a part of it, and that became so blatantly clear at Mile High.

Gabrielle has been a fixture in the FWA, and always a threat but she feels different now; in a good way. Gabrielle no longer feels like the sex pot who could fight she feels like the fighter that just happens to be the sexiest f*#king thing on the planet! She has now won the Mile High Massacre match twice, something unheard of. Ryan Hall couldn't do it, Thomas Princeton couldn't do it. Nobody could, and she just did it and while it wasn't easy I've seen Gabrielle in closer matches. She was in control and she kept her cool and walked out the champ. She's got Jack of Diamonds next and to be honest this is a win-win for the FWA because no matter what you've got to respect these two and you just know they're going to throw down once they get into the ring together.

Then you had the amazing "Rockstar" Randy Ramon? Where the hell did this guy come from? He's like Nemesis or Bullseye Johnson but it doesn't feel forced, it feels like he just belongs. Defeating Micahel Garcia was tough enough but then he teams with the surly Ayla El and defeats Chris Kennedy and Brian Carter?! I couldn't believe my eyes it was like watching a fox come alive in a house of hens. Randy and Ayla El represent two sides of the same coin; opportunity. Ramon had an opportunity and he seized it and so did Ayla El and now they've got gold around their waist gold that so many tag teams sweat and bled over but never even got to touch for a moment. It's incredible, and inspiring to see. I don't think it will last long, but does it matter? The fact that it happened is a window into the future and I've got no problem seeing either of those two hold more gold.

You have Drew Stevenson and his solid North American title win. When Drew came into the FWA and started criticizing some of it's practices it was seen by some as a rookie with a huge ego trying to boss around the system for his own good. I've gotten to know Drew and I can tell you while he does have a healthy ego his frustrations with the FWA were valid and it helped bring in another eye to a business and way of life that needed changing and because of this I think Drew is partially responsible for such an influx of talent and better booking throughout Fight Night and Smash. Heck, you even have to give Robins Thurgood some credit; he was a crummy person but he knew how to make you tune in. Stevenson is going to be one of those people like The Rock, Edge, Cena that just is around and makes his presence known. You can't deny his charisma and there is something intangible but very memorable about him. He's what I think Sean Moore wanted to be, but he does it in his own way and the fans respect him for that.

Beatrixx Black could really be the next big name in Womens' wrestling but I will admit it's also satisfying to see Saddle Sally break the record by winning the title for a 3rd time. Saddle Sally in the course of about a year has gone from the "bridesmaid but never a bride" to in my opinion a future hall of famer. She's had solid reigns and has generated the womens division in a dynamic way. I don't remember there being such a disdain for a champion in a long, long time in the womens division. Sara Wolf could be brutal, but she had this air about her that made it hard to hate her or even root against her. Saddle Sally is that heel that just gets under your skin, despite Beatrixx's villainous nature you couldn't help but root for Black as she took on the seasoned vet in each and every match. I'm not sure how much longer Sally will be in the FWA, but I can safely say she will play an integral part in it's development as we transition into this next era.

Then there is the blisteringly talented X division. Have we ever had a division this strong? Maybe in it's earliest stages, or when Ryan Rondo and Alexx were the kings of the division but hot damn this is a competitive division that fits into the original vision: a place where anybody can champion at any time. Originally a division where every title defense had to be a gimmick match the X title has become one of the most prestigious belts in the biz with a rich history and offering up some of the most complete and satisfying feuds. In recent months Vincent Blackbird and Jethro Warren were a major part of this. And while wrestlers like The Mist and Danny Toner faded out the ones who managed to stick it out became forces to be reckoned with on both Smash and Fight Night and have proven themselves to be glimpses into the possible future of the company. Marcus Thane and KAIZEN are bloody entertaining to watch and I soaked up ever second of their match. The X division has a swagger to it, bigger than before. Maybe it's just that finally the title is seen as less of a consolation prize and as a legitimate belt to wear with pride and stature.

The FWA is rapidly changing, that's nothing new. But this is the first time in a long time where I am at the edge of my seat in anticipation for every minor and major development. Back in Business X is coming sooner than we think and I think the main event will be very clear of what direction the new era is taking. Whether it be old vs. old, new vs. new or a mix of the two I think we will either look at the main event as a last battle cry of a division that was or the trumpet of a new wave of soldiers ready to turn the FWA into the best army possible.
    Last edited by iMatt; 10-23-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: It's the dawn of a new era in the FWA

loved the write-up, and even though I only know the history from what I've read here in the FWA it definitely feels like this is the beginning of a new era. This is the first fed I've been committed to since probably around 2006, and that is because quality feds are much harder to come by than they used to be I feel. But, this is probably my favorite one of all and I hope I can do my part in helping this new era be the most successful in history.

On Vacation

Status

Great write up!

Somehow Ayla was in every era lol. She only won titles in the Modern Era and whatever era this is.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Fantastic article!

This really sheds some light on the FWA and I absolutely love the look from this kind of perspective. We most certainly need more articles like this, I think it really helps promote everybody truthfully.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Simply awesome write up Matt.

GABRIELLE
    Reborn in a Trial By Fire

Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

NEVER DIE

We Are Mythology

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Amazing Article!

The Hero of Time

Status

This is super awesome. I'd be interested to know what exactly happened at PWS, if anyone felt like sharing? Just seen a lot of posts referring to it and curious.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Umm..

PWS (standing for "Pro Wrestling Scoops") was a pretty legit place for the most part. WrestlingClique is better managed, without a doubt, but PWS *may have* had better funding. Not entirely sure who owns and funds WC. Sort of like WrestlingClique, the FWA stuck to itself and many people uninterested in pro wrestling came to the site solely for the FWA. Some people liked us, some didn't. We were the only fed on the site.

The owner is/was (not sure which tense to use) Ryan Clark, who has a wrestling news website and does a lot of news aggregation and podcasts. PWS was one of his forums, one he didn't often visit and mostly put running to other people. One of those he gave duties/power to was a dude named "Lionden," who had a lot of issues. Not sure if he was a drunk, a drug addict, a psychopath, wrapped up in depression, all of the above or a combination, but he often came onto the forum and just fucked shit up for the sake of fucking shit up. And I mean demodding people, threatening to close FWA and merge it with the sister forum's fed (LOW), and banning people. Just being a jackass.

Finally, he was pooped out but there were still a couple leadership issues and dipping into how FWA was run, which wasn't fun for me since I was unofficially running FWA and we often worked like a separate entity of the site itself. Once we started rolling again and seemed to hit a nice groove...the forum received some virus and had everything infected, and thus has been closed down now for a year and a handful of days. We're actually nearing our one-year anniversary on WC.

When we decided to pack up FWA and leave PWS, we received some minor flak from people claiming PWS would be back and we needed to be patient. I was on the opposite side saying, "Ryan Clark doesn't really care that much about PWS and I doubt he's working diligently to fix the issues." I also thought it unwise to wait for what could be months. I felt that would potentially kill the fed. Hindsight is 20-20 and all those cliches, but I made the right decision. Had we listened to the "be patient" crowd, the FWA undoubtedly would be dead.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Really great write up!

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Danny Toner faded out we'll see within the next couple of weeks when Toner and Thane win in the tag team challenge and become champions. #firelit

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I think Matt thought you dropped out or something!

The Hero of Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Umm..

PWS (standing for "Pro Wrestling Scoops") was a pretty legit place for the most part. WrestlingClique is better managed, without a doubt, but PWS *may have* had better funding. Not entirely sure who owns and funds WC. Sort of like WrestlingClique, the FWA stuck to itself and many people uninterested in pro wrestling came to the site solely for the FWA. Some people liked us, some didn't. We were the only fed on the site.

The owner is/was (not sure which tense to use) Ryan Clark, who has a wrestling news website and does a lot of news aggregation and podcasts. PWS was one of his forums, one he didn't often visit and mostly put running to other people. One of those he gave duties/power to was a dude named "Lionden," who had a lot of issues. Not sure if he was a drunk, a drug addict, a psychopath, wrapped up in depression, all of the above or a combination, but he often came onto the forum and just fucked shit up for the sake of fucking shit up. And I mean demodding people, threatening to close FWA and merge it with the sister forum's fed (LOW), and banning people. Just being a jackass.

Finally, he was pooped out but there were still a couple leadership issues and dipping into how FWA was run, which wasn't fun for me since I was unofficially running FWA and we often worked like a separate entity of the site itself. Once we started rolling again and seemed to hit a nice groove...the forum received some virus and had everything infected, and thus has been closed down now for a year and a handful of days. We're actually nearing our one-year anniversary on WC.

When we decided to pack up FWA and leave PWS, we received some minor flak from people claiming PWS would be back and we needed to be patient. I was on the opposite side saying, "Ryan Clark doesn't really care that much about PWS and I doubt he's working diligently to fix the issues." I also thought it unwise to wait for what could be months. I felt that would potentially kill the fed. Hindsight is 20-20 and all those cliches, but I made the right decision. Had we listened to the "be patient" crowd, the FWA undoubtedly would be dead.
    Wow, that's some crazy shit right there. Blaze and Digby and I all met at a place called G-Fed, if anyone's heard of it. It was like Zeus meets WWE Universe Mode of WWE '14 and entirely dedicated to feds. It was really awesome, but the system used created a lot of tensions since the matches awarded fake money and grew your wrestler's brand, etc... But there was this one dude, username OuterLimits who was a lot like your LionDen dude. He would get in good graces with admin of a fed, get them to add him on staff, and then destroy it from the inside out. He kept getting away with it and no one would ban him, and no one would wise up, so the good feds started leaving. G-Fed is dead now. I loved the system they used, and have never been a fan (until now) of the forum approach, so I didn't think I'd ever do this gig again. So glad Blaze turned me on to you guys!

Boobage Expert

Status

Quote Originally Posted by shawn341 View Post
    Wow, that's some crazy shit right there. Blaze and Digby and I all met at a place called G-Fed, if anyone's heard of it. It was like Zeus meets WWE Universe Mode of WWE '14 and entirely dedicated to feds. It was really awesome, but the system used created a lot of tensions since the matches awarded fake money and grew your wrestler's brand, etc... But there was this one dude, username OuterLimits who was a lot like your LionDen dude. He would get in good graces with admin of a fed, get them to add him on staff, and then destroy it from the inside out. He kept getting away with it and no one would ban him, and no one would wise up, so the good feds started leaving. G-Fed is dead now. I loved the system they used, and have never been a fan (until now) of the forum approach, so I didn't think I'd ever do this gig again. So glad Blaze turned me on to you guys!
    Glad you like our style. That is definitely something we pride ourselves in.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    Umm..

It feels like yesterday when we made the FWAtemp site and TE was all like "Why are you doing this? PWS will be back any minute. This makes no sense" and then Mac came in and was all like "You are idiots doing stupid shit. I just go through Ryan and PWS is being fixed and it will up in a weeks time." The FWA staff consisted of Wolf, TGO, Mac, JD and KS at the time. KS and JD dissappeared, Mac was against moving FWA and Wolf with TGO were pro. Most of the members were positive with the move, but we couldn't really reach everyone.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

On Vacation

Status

Ah, the drama of PWS back then. Glad we have somewhere stable now. Thank you WC!

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Yah, Wolf and I were the focal points of FWA modding from then on. Then we re-modded Matt (who was in favor of moving) and TE. ETE and Dr Nash, two former mods and long-time members, also were pro-moving. When the forum crashed, Chris Kennedy was champ. I remember that. First show was Mile High and JD no-showed along with Duke Drazin. Hall beat Wolf, Stu and Gabrielle. I remember moving forward and PAJ/Tom promo'd well, and Wolf and I agreed right then and there he needed to be the fuggin' mother fucker we pushed through the roof and started the whole New Era angle.

We lost a few people in the transition -- the most valuable being Garcia -- but he finally found us. There are a few people from long long long ago who probably can't find us anymore, which sucks.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Its a bummer because Drazin had only just returned when PWS went down.

GABRIELLE
    Reborn in a Trial By Fire

Thread Information