Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grim Reviews Random Games

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Re: Grim Reviews Random Games

Haha! Rebecca was cool and all but she felt more like a little girl than the rest. I was always a Claire man and Ada too and then Helena... The camera angles in the new game make it impossible not to notice asses.

I could see Rebecca being a medic in some anti Bioterror unit or something. Its just disappointing not to hear her mentioned.

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

I honestly didn't think of Claire much. She was okay... not like Jill in any way, but I guess it was because I always looked at her as the blocky female character from RE 2.

Status

Claire suffered by being partnered with Leon plus the fact Jill wad RE3s main and her outfit appealed. Claire was more tomboyish but I just liked her more. She had a slight makeover in Rev 2 - she has short hair now (well shoulder length) but shorter than before. Man, shes so unlucky in love, i think all of her love interests have died and mutated into monsters shes had to defeat.

Of course she also suffers from being the less significant Redfield.

BROTHER

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

#GrimLove

Status

Pretty much. You know who is a big hottie though in the Resident Evil Series?

Cindy, baby.
    Last edited by Grim Barrows; 05-05-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Status

Yeah she looks like a babe although I haven't played Outbreak - just didn't seem my sort of RE game.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

#GrimLove

Status

Outbreak is a hidden gem of the series to be honest. The only reason nobody talks about it is because it was the only online Resident Evil game, and they shut down the PS2 servers. Luckily, I will review it someday.

#GrimLove

Status

Resident Evil 2 (BioHazard 2)

Released: January 21, 1998 (PlayStation (NA))
    January 29, 1998 (PlayStation (JP))
    May 8, 1998 (PlayStation (PAL))
    October 31, 1999 (Nintendo 64 (NA))
    December 22, 1999 (Dreamcast (JP))
    January 28, 2000 (Nintendo 64 (JP))
    February 9, 2000 (Nintendo 64 (PAL))
    April 28, 2000 (Dreamcast (NA))
    December 6, 2000 (Dreamcast (PAL))
    January 14, 2003 (Gamecube (NA))
    January 23, 2003 (Gamecube (JP))
    May 30, 2003 (Gamecube (PAL))
    December 26, 2007 (PSN (JP))
    November 19, 2009 (PSN (NA))
    February 29, 2012 (PSN (EU))

Console:
    PlayStation
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo GameCube
    Dreamcast
    PSN

Developer: Capcom

Plot: 2 months have passed since what has been collectively known as, The Mansion Incident. STARS is ruined, Umbrella has gotten away scot-free from their horrific misdeeds. Leon S. Kennedy, is late to his first day as a rookie in the Raccoon City Police Department, the RPD. However, on arrival, the city is in turmoil, as it seems the dead have begun to walk. There, he meets up with Claire Redfield, brother of former STARS member, Chris Redfield. Together, they must escape the city, while also meeting an assortment of monsters, and characters along the way. Can they survive what once was Raccoon City...? 9/10

Gameplay: Okay, so, I know it's a bit difficult going from the masterpiece that is REmake, to a... slightly less master... masterpiece in Resident Evil 2, but god damn, this game is just as great. Borrowing the tank controls of the first game, and REmake, you get the same old control scheme (barring the quick turn in REmake), so there's no need to adjust yourself. The big thing about this game are the features that made this game 10x better than it's original counterpart. For one thing, they finally added a visible status system. If your character is wounded, he'll show it, even to the point of limping terribly when near death. Always a good indicator of when to get the hell out of a room!

Yes, the return of two character campaigns are present, but different in a sense. You play as your main campaign character, either Claire, or Leon, and with the addition of that, you have a side character you play as for a short while, so, out of 4 characters you can play as, you play as two in either campaign. Pretty cool right!?

With the addition of different characters, there's also different ways the campaigns play out!!! Not only that, there are TWO back to back campaigns! Once you finish the game as one character, you play the other character's B campaign, which coincides with the first one. Confusing right? So say you choose Claire for the first campaign, as soon as you finish her campaign, you can do Leon's second campaign (Which is the canon way to go, apparently)! That's a pretty awesome way to add replay value to your game.

Not only that, depending on which system you're on, there are two/three extra modes as well!!! One mode is "The Fourth Survivor" where you control an Umbrella Soldier named HUNK, on his mission to make it to the helipad of the RPD. Another, harder version of this, is "Tofu Mode", where you literally control the player hitbox (in the form of white tofu), with only a knife, but LOTS of health. Great, right? That's not all!!! On the Nintendo 64 version, there is a mode called Randomizer, which is exactly what it sounds like. All items are randomized in the game, leading to quite a unique experience, adding EVEN MORE to the replay value. In the Gamecube version, a mode called "Arrange" is available, and well... it's easy mode. I mean EASY. Unlimited Ammo Submachine Gun, Gatling Gun, and Rocket Launcher at your disposal from the get-go. So yeah... another addition is "Extreme Battle" Mode, similar to what we modern day Resident Evil fans know as, Mercenaries. Essentially, choose a character, go through certain missions, different stages, with a default loadout. Have fun, bro.

I haven't even gotten to the new enemies!!! There are about a dozen new ones, so I'll just list them off quick.

-Lickers/Super Lickers: Similar to Crimson Heads in REmake, these guys are an evolved form (of a different strain of T-Virus) of the Zombie, and can climb walls, leap at ya, and lick ya throat out! Super Lickers are faster and stronger, but nothing a good Shotgun blast won't clear up.

-Ivy/Poison Ivy: Plant creatures that are slow as hell, but pack quite a whallop. Poison Ivies spit poison, but that's nothing a good blue herb can't clear up. If they catch you in critical health, the funniest thing happens... they dissolve your head...

-G: William Birkin, a product of the G-Virus, this guy acts as the main enemy of campaign A, and evolves through different stages. Good god is he a tough SOB.

-Tyrant T-103: Ah yes, "Mr. X", the main enemy of Campaign B, this Tyrant is stoic, tall, and will crush you in an instant. Nothing a little bazooka can't handle, Leon.

So there you have it. More of the same, but with so. much. more!!! This is what a sequel should be, more of the same, but added features to enhance the experience!!! 10/10

(Wait a minute... he Looks familiar...)

Visuals: For 2015, this is awful. However, it works, it doesn't feel aged, or outdated, it feels like it can stand the test of time, unlike the original. Enemies are crisp polygons, Characters have more flair to them, the cutscenes are complete CGI, which for 1998, was pretty cool. There's nitpicky problems that you can go at, but as a whole, while it doesn't look too well today, it's still amazing that they could pull this off, with pre-rendered backgrounds, and lot's of polygonal characters! 10/10

Audio:
    The audio still is amazing, with the orchestrated music that still sounds really good today, it's a nice soundtrack to pick up and listen to today, especially the Police Station areas. Memorable, scary, and chilling, the soundtrack to Resident Evil 2 is one of the most environmental out there. 10/10

Final Thoughts: You need to get this game, guys. However, my advice, if you're gonna get a definitive one, you should either get the Nintendo 64 version, which has the Randomizer, or the Nintendo Gamecube version, which has both Arrange Mode and Extreme Battle Mode. Definitely worth $20.

Final Grade: 10/10

Next Time...

#GrimLove

Status

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (BioHazard 3: Last Escape)

Released: September 22, 1999 (PlayStation (JP))
    November 10, 1999 (Playstation (NA))
    March 17, 2000 (PlayStation (EU))
    November 16, 2000 (Dreamcast (JP))
    November 17, 2000 (Dreamcast (NA))
    December 21, 2000 (Dreamcast (EU))
    January 15, 2003 (GameCube (NA))
    January 23, 2003 (GameCube (JP))
    May 30, 2003 (GameCube (EU))

Consoles: PlayStation
    Dreamcast
    GameCube

Developer:
    Capcom

Plot: September 28: Raccoon City, a town run by Umbrella, is overtaken by zombies of the T-Virus, a biological weapon that turns its hosts into flesh eating monsters. The Racoon Police Department makes on last stand to combat the horde of walking dead coming towards them. A Mercenary service known as the Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service is also dropped into the city to help maintain control. Well... it sorta ends up like this...

With the city in turmoil, former STARS member Jill Valentine makes it her mission to escape the horrors of the city. Along the way she meets Carlos Oliveira, a member of the UBCS, and from there, they team up to escape. They encounter several characters and monsters along the way, but can they survive against the stalker? 9/10

(Wait a minute... that yellow vested guy... haven't I seen him somewhere before?)

Gameplay: More of the same from Capcom's Resident Evil series, just with additions to make it better, and some new monsters, sorry, but the lickers are gone from this one. The first addition to the series I need to make apparent was FINALLY a quick-turn feature! The series never looked back after 3 added this mechanic to the game, adding to a whole new level of defense!

The second gameplay feature was the only appearance of gun-powder and a reloading tool, which meant you can make your own bullets!!! Now, You can find either A or B powder, and by combining the two, you get C powder. Now listen carefully:

A: 15 Handgun Rounds
    AA: 35 Handgun Rounds
    AAA: 55 Handgun Rounds
    BBA: 60 Handgun Rounds
    B: 7 Shotgun Shells
    BB: 18 Shotgun Shells
    AAB: 22 Shotgun Shells
    BBB: 30 Shotgun Shells
    C: 10 Grenade Rounds
    CA: 10 Flame Rounds
    CB: 10 Acid Rounds
    CC: 10 Freeze Rounds
    CCC: 24 Magnum Rounds

Actually, the more you use the reloading tool, the better you become, therefore the more ammo, this is just the barebones stuff. Just keep that in mind, bro.

The next feature is actually pretty cool for getting you out of tight spots, though it's tricky. It's dodging!!! It looks a little something like this...

If you press the A (or in the Playstation's case, the X button) at the correct time, you can negate ALL damage about to be taken, literally. From zombie bites, dog mauling, brain draining, hell, even ROCKETS!!! This little feature, never used again, could essentially break the game entirely, and it was hella entertaining.

Quick-time events are another added feature, where certain events will present you with a choice, which could DRASTICALLY change the unfolding of events! So choose wisely, I suppose. That's about all you need to know about this, so yeah. Oh yeah, I also forgot there's two different endings, but like hell if I'm spoiling them.

Moving on from Gameplay, I'd like to talk about the new enemies!!! Sorry, but the Lickers don't make an appearance in this one, sadly. Though in its place is:

Drain Deimos: Gigantic Flea-thing that drinks your Cerebrospinal fluid.
    Brain Sucker: POISONOUS Gigantic Flea-thing.
    Hunter beta: Blind Hunter that has good hearing!!!
    Hunter gamma: Amphibian Hunter that can swallow you whole!!!
    Sliding Worms: Strange creatures... Like, Eel things.
    Grave Digger: A motherfucking ginormous worm that eats everything in sight!!!
    Nemesis: We all know what he is. No point beating a dead horse... although...

So there you have it, that's what's new with this game, more and better gameplay to have. In my honest opinion, this game plays much better than 2, despite only one campaign, a Mercenaries Mode, several costumes to use, and much better dialogue. Alrighty then. 10/10

Visuals: Definitely improved over 2, the cutscenes look and feel so much better than Resident Evil 2 did. The character models have more polygons, the backgrounds look tighter, more concise and beautifully drawn. If you looks at the screenshot above, you'll see just how well done it is. Resident Evil 3, simply looks improved, which is a thumbs up. 10/10

Audio: The soundtrack is still enriching as ever, plus the dialogue and voice actors for Resident Evil 3 are first class, enhancing the experience even more! You still want Ambiance in your game, well you still got it. There are moments where it is nothing but the sounds of the burning city, then there are times when music is actually playing. The orchestra really put it together to make the soundtrack to Resident Evil 3 really special. 10/10

Final Thoughts: Resident Evil 3, by many people, is the black sheep of the franchise, it seems. It's superior to Resident Evil 1 and 2, but many people don't like it for certain reasons. That's okay, I like it, regardless. Definitely worth the $20 if you can find it, make it a fine addition to your collection.

Next Time:

(Thank goodness you've returned... much has changed since you've been here, my friend...)

#GrimLove

Status

Diablo

Released: December 31, 1996 (Windows (NA))
    1997 (Windows (EU))
    May 8, 1998 (Macintosh (NA))
    March 1998 (PlayStation (NA))
    April 1998 (PlayStation (EU))

Platform: Windows (NA, EU)
    Macintosh OS (NA)
    PlayStation (NA, EU)

Developer: Blizzard Entertainment

Plot: Long ago, a war against Heaven and Hell raged, during which, the three evil brothers, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, entered the mortal plane, but were sealed away into soulstones by mages. Generations pass and in the town of Tristram, all is not as it seems. The Archbishop, Lazarus, is corrupted by Diablo, and releases him from the soulstone, creating mass chaos for all of the countryside. King Leoric goes mad, possessed by the evil of Diablo, and send his men to die in the catacombs of Tristram's monastery. People are awake at night, listening to horrible screams of the damned, those who have been taken to die in that forsaken place of pure evil. Aiden, the son of Leoric, Jazreth the mage, and Moreina the rogue, go deep into the catacombs, caves, and the pits of hell itself, to seek out and end Diablo, once and for all... 8/10

Gameplay: First off, I just want to say, I love the Diablo series for all it's worth. It is a series that has defined gaming for many a person, and I understand that people will love the games to death. Diablo II is in fact one of the best games of all time, bar none, but I'll be talking about the original... which to be honest... aged like milk. This is just a heads up warning for those of you who thought I would be praising the game to the heavens.

Diablo is a Point and Click Hack & Slash RPG, in the most barebones way. Where you point and click, you go or do. the RPG element is things such as leveling up, which is actually nice, considering you get a supply of powers, depending on who you are. There are three classes to choose from: the Warrior, Mage, and Rogue. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, but for the most balanced single player experience, Aiden the Warrior will work best for you.

The first thing I'd like to point out is the simplicity of the controls. Basically, you point to where you want to go, and things will get done like that. It's nice and refreshing and it doesn't take a genius to figure out (Not like Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atari 2600), which means anyone can just pick this up and play. Moving around is not as painstaking as in Clock Tower: First Fear, but at least in that, you could run, but I don't fault the game for it, after all, it was the first of its kind, it would get improved later on. So movement, that's a-ok!

Enemies in this game, however, even for 1996 standards, have a difficulty curve that almost makes the game unbearable. The first boss you run into, The Butcher, is nearly IM-FUCKING-POSSIBLE to beat in ONE life, unless you get lucky and lock him behind a door with windows. Even then, that'll take 15 FUCKING MINUTES to kill 'em. The boss balance in this game is so ridiculously asinine, it again, makes me wish I was playing a different game. The key thing with this game not aging well is, that in 1996, crawling around to level up and make yourself barely stronger and be fun in that time period, makes it in 2015, TEDIOUS. The game feels more like a tedious mess today than it did when I played it... oh, say 6 years ago. How the hell did that happen!? Again, I don't blame the game, I blame how much later games of the genre worked. The spike in difficulty right away in Diablo makes the game almost an instant turn off for me, but there's one thing that keeps me coming back, but I'll get to that soon.

The item management in the game is somewhat the same as it's always been, nothing really ever changed there, except that there was more room, and a more defined balance of item drops. You will rarely get a health potion in Diablo, when in Diablo II, you would get TOO MANY health potions dropped. Still, too many is better than nearly none at all, I guess. Gold was another problem for Diablo. There usually wasn't enough gold to get the items you want or need in order to get stronger, so with that, you had to scavenge for items from enemies, but even then, you'd rarely get great items. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the gameplay because it's flat out bad. Diablo is NOT a bad game by ANY stretch of the imagination, it, however, has aged severely. That doesn't make it a bad game, it makes it a game you can't play today because of what we've been given in today's gaming. The gameplay, while tedious, and having an extreme spike in difficulty early on, still feels rewarding for getting past the problems and pushing your way through. 6/10

Graphics: Considering I reviewed another game from 1996 (Clock Tower 2), I'd like to say, this one was MUCH better looking today than the other one was. Sprites flat out age much better than polygons do, because as we advance ourselves with technology, polygon counts get higher and we are able to manipulate so many polygons that it almost becomes rocket science to get every line and square to work, and that's why older 3-D polygon games look terrible in today's view, it is primitive technology! Sprites on the other hand, the can't age as much as polygons do, because sprites don't become outdated. We look at sprites in gaming and are still amazed at some of the detail put into them, and Diablo is no exception. Tristram LOOKS like a dreary old town, and the characters LOOK like village people that also know of the terrible dangers. Each character has a certain look and unique feel to them, the enemies are lovely to look at, and hell, the environment is dark and gloomy, perfect for the type of game Blizzard was going for. The game, though slightly aged, still looks as good as it was when it came out. That's good enough for me too. 8/10

Sound:
    Diablo in the sound department succeeds big time. First off, all the voice actors are playing their roles to the fullest that they can (some over-acting more than others), and perhaps the highlight in the game goes to Farnum and Deckard Cain. Farnum being that drunkard who saw too much in the catacombs is just so damn depressing, and Deckard being fucking Deckard, he's all full of awesomeness. The voice-actors definitely got paid. As for the music, it hits the ball and gets a triple, baby! Why not a home-run? Most of the music is forgettable, but there's one crown jewel in the game baby, and that is the VERY FIRST theme you come across in the game, and that is Tristram. My god, if there is a singular reason that anyone should EVER play Diablo, it's for the Tristram theme, the mystique, emotion, gloominess, and darkness put into it is so memorable that Blizzard HAD to put it in Diablo II and make an homage to it in Diablo III! That spells out gold to me. 8/10

Final Thoughts: Diablo is a game that was influential for many games, and was the starting point for a genre. Its importance CANNOT be undermined, but the aging of the game stands for a lot of criticism to be made and thankfully, because of so many improvements made in the sequel, this one is a bookmark in gaming history, though one that should be digested slowly. It's an okay, but long and hard game, in today's looking at it. It'd be worth maybe $10 bucks or somewhere in that general area if you were looking to get it.

Final Grade: 7.5/10

Next Time...

Sometimes you just gotta take over the school...

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 08-11-2015 at 01:48 AM.

#GrimLove

Status

Face Off:

Akumajou Densetsu / Rondo of Blood

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to a new segment I like to call Face-Off!!! In this segment, I compare two games that are similar, and then I break each game down and decide which game is the better one. Starting it off is a CastleVania-Off! Two games that are extremely similar within the series are two that people love and regard as both classics: 1989's Akumajou Densetsu and 1993's CastleVania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood!

Story:

The story on both differs quite a bit, but allow me to try and tell them as best as I can:

Akumajou Densetsu:

15th Century Europe (1492 to be exact): In this dark time, an evil man named Vlad Tepes lived in Transylvania. Having reached the limits of his powers, he revived dark gods, and used their power to terrorize the nation of Walachia. Driven insane by his greed, he planned to take over all of Europe.

The Holy Church called out to arms and sent an army to stop Tepes - or as he called himeself, Dracula - but none returned alive. Seeing that their efforts were futile, the Church decided to hand the task of slaying Dracula to the Belmont family, known vampire hunters for many generations. They were feared for their power, however, and had not been seen for many years. The Pope never gave up hope, and at last found a brave Belmont, named Trevor.

200 years before Simon Belmont, Mankind and Dracula's battle begins. (It would have made sense had Konami not fucked up the timeline and put games before this. Now, this is like... the 4th in the timeline...? I think?)

Rondo of Blood:

In 1792, Dracula is revived, and decides to take revenge upon the Belmont family, and in doing so, uses his servant Shaft to kidnap Richter Belmont's beloved Annette, as well lock away several maidens to use as sacrifices (I guess, not really sure how it worked...). Richter must now defeat Dracula before he gets any more powerful and takes over Europe (Again).

So looking side by side on these two stories, I think it's pretty obvious which one is better. Clearly, Akumajou was better written and had a grand scheme and more at stake than Rondo of Blood did with, "Oh, he took my girlfriend... how cliche." So the point goes to Akumajou Densetsu.

Gameplay:

Alternate Levels: Akumajou beats Rondo of Blood by only two levels (15 over 13), but even then, Akumajou has better level design and a more colorful array of areas, compared to Rondo of Blood's muddiness and choppy level design. I shouldn't have to be fucking jumping everywhere to get where I need to go, instead, I should be jumping less, but with a smarter design in mind! Point: Akumajou

Multiple Characters:
    Akumajou again beats Rondo of Blood, by both design and quality. Rondo has Richter and Maria, and that's about it, and Richter is Richter, and Maria is just shit. She's waaaay too overpowered, and I get she's a joke character, but that doesn't make her any less fucking stupid. Meanwhile, Akumajou had Trevor, basically Richter's equal. It also had Grant, who is fucking boss, Sypha, who is overpowered against Dracula, and Alucard, who (I never did mention this in my review) if used correctly, could actually be the best character in the game (Yes, I know, I was wrong on that, but I'm not changing my opinion when I say he's shit in the game for the most part.). Grant could climb walls and had a throwing dagger, Alucard could turn into a bat, and Sypha - though relatively weak - had arguably the strongest attacks in the entire game. Point: Akumajou

Item Crash vs. Triple Shot:
    Man, now here's where we get into some balanced territory. Item Crashing in Rondo of Blood took up a lot of hearts and was extremely useful for boss battles. Not to mention the fact you always had it on hand. Triple Shot items however, you had to collect powerups to get there, and when you died, you lost it, making this seem easy, right? Wrong. A triple shot cross would easy destroy an Item crash any day, and a triple shot is a reward for playing the game well. Item Crashing makes the game seem a tad unrewarding for playing well, since you have it all the time. I'd take the more rewarding mechanic over the easier mechanic. That's just me though, and everyone seems to love that fucking Item Crash. Point: Tie

Knockback:
    Knockback in fucking both games are there, but Akumajou has considerably worse knockback. Sure, it's cheap deaths, but that's also your fault for having shitty reaction time. Rondo does have knockback, but it's less likely to get you killed than it is in Akumajou. There's a counter for the knockback in Akumajou though, his name is Alucard. However, going by the basics, Rondo would win in this department. Point: Rondo

Double Jump vs. Grant/Alucard:
    This argument can go one of two ways, either you prefer double jumping, or you prefer climbing walls and turning into a bat. Comparing the two though, with double jumping, you can go a farther distance, but that's only with one character, Maria. Grant can climb walls and hang on ceilings, he can also change his direction mid-jump, and jump higher than Trevor. Alucard can turn into a bat at ANY time, so his usefulness is unlimited in several ways. Seriously, there's no comparison. Point: Akumajou

Music:

Akumajou and don't even look back. Rondo has some good themes, yeah, but... Dracula X was better (Waiting for the incoming insults!) Seriously though, what does Rondo have? Bloodlines, Opus 13, Den, Cemetary... eh. That's like 4. Akumajou has: Prelude, Beginning, Clockwork, Mad Forest, Stream, Dead Beat, Aquarius, Demon Seed, Riddle, and Evergreen. It has a cornucopia of great themes, and what makes this even sadder, is that Rondo had superior technology! They had CD MIDI music, and Akumajou had the VRC6 Sound Chip. Pretty sad, right? Point: Akumajou

Graphics:
    Yeah, Rondo's got this one and it's not even close. Trying to compare 16-bit CD graphics to 8-bit graphics is a stretch, and I agree with most people that Rondo looks better by comparison, though that doesn't necessarily mean that it had a better art direction. Akumajou had full use of the color palette and took full advantage of it. Both bright colors as well as some muddy colors gave a great experience. Rondo used... anime. *sigh* Which should never have been the case with CastleVania... Point: Rondo of Blood

Final Thoughts:

comparing the two of these games, overall, Akumajou was just better. I think that the development team were really on point for this one, and they did their damndest to make it a great game. Rondo sometimes felt half-assed, even when they tried different things. It wasn't until later games that it became more polished.

Winner: Akumajou Densetsu

(Hey guys, this was just an in-between thing for my bully review, which will come up eventually, I promise, just been extremely busy lately. So with that, did you like this new segment I'm doing? If you want, I can do more, or I can stop if you have a dislike for it.)

#GrimLove

Status

Bully (Canis Canem Edit in Europe)

Console: PlayStation 2
    PlayStation Network (Scholarship Edition)
    Xbox 360 (Scholarship Edition)
    Wii (Scholarship Edition)
    Microsoft Windows (Scholarship Edition)

Released:
    October 17, 2006 (PlayStation 2 (NA))
    October 25, 2006 (PlayStation 2 (EU))
    October 27, 2006 (PlayStation 2 (AUS))
    March 4, 2008 (Wii & Xbox (NA))
    March 7, 2008 (Wii & Xbox (EU & AUS))
    July 24, 2008 (PlayStation 2, Wii & Xbox (JP))
    October 21, 2008 (Windows (NA))
    October 31, 2008 (Windows (EU))
    December 4, 2008 (Windows (JP))
    December 18, 2012 (PSN (NA))
    December 19, 2012 (PSN (PAL))
    March 19, 2014 (PSN (JP))

Developer: Rockstar Vancouver

Plot: Jimmy Hopkins is a 15 year old delinquent. After an unknown amount of high jinks at his previous school, he is dropped off at his new school, which is the toughest one in the entire country: Bullworth Academy. There, Jimmy becomes the brand new target of every clique in the area, as well as making quick friends with Gary (a sociopath with ADD), and Pete ("The girliest boy in school."). Jimmy must go through school life, while also finding a way to get everyone to leave him alone, as well as teaching everyone to stop fighting one another. Here he finds a strange and colorful cast of characters, from a nerd who pisses himself, a hobo who teaches him fighting moves, a pervert gym teacher, and a bunch of inbred preps. 10/10

Gameplay: We've all played GTA, so we all know what to expect from Bully, but there are a few key differences. No guns, first and foremost, but you do have a wide array of weapons to go along with your fists of fighting fury! Firecrackers, stink bombs, itching powder, etc are all there to help you get out of a sticky situation (or into one)! The rules are also much more enforced in this one, as there are several authority figures who will attempt to stop your shenanigans as usual, but they are much more strict and they can come from anywhere. For example, minor offences (vandalism, etc.) will usually cause them to give a warning. Moderate offences (truancy, bullying, etc.) will cause them to give chase for a short while. Major offences however (Assaulting a girl, young student, adult, authority figure) will cause authority figures to show up even if they aren't in the proximity, and they will chase you down for as long as they can. If you're caught, depending on where you were caught, you're either sent to the headmaster's office, or the police station (If you're caught past curfew, officers will drop you off at the school, and prefects will throw you into your dorm). So this game is no slouch when it comes to enforcement.

Several activities are also available to the player when you get far enough into the game and unlock more areas. There's races, there's jobs for money (Which you really won't need.), arcade games, and much much more for you to explore and partake in. Yeah, there's a shit ton for you to do, just saying. I don't really have to go way too into detail for this. I almost forgot to mention classes as well. Because you're a student, you're required to attend classes. Classes actually give you upgrades and items. Chemistry lets you make weapons, Art gets you health bonuses for kissing chicks (or dudes if you swing that way.),

Missions drive the game along, just like any Rockstar game we're familiar with, and some of them are required to enlarge the game. You're stuck in the school San Andreas style until you complete the first chapter, and after that, Bullworth becomes your oyster to play with. With so much to do and so much to see, this game has so much going for it. 10/10

Visuals: For 2006, these are... eh. Rockstar never was too well known for their graphical achievements (Except maybe with GTA V, but that's debatable). Think about this, 5 years earlier, we had one of the best looking games of all time in Resident Evil REmake. I bring this up because I use that as my bar for graphical achievement with "realistic" games in the 2000's. Overall, the graphics are fine, they aren't horrible, and they certainly could have been worse. Mind you, I believe Rockstar was working with a rather outdated chip at the time, so it's hard to blame them. This was the same year that Gears of War came out, and look at how that looks compared to Bully. It's not bad, but given more funding, the graphics could have looked gorgeous. 7/10

Music: The crown jewel of Bully is its music, no doubt. Some of the catchiest, most upbeat pieces in Rockstar's cornucopia of music are here. No longer using licensed music from actual artists, they used in house musician Shawn Lee to create ambient pieces and wonderful music, and he did. There are a LOT of great themes here, from the main walking theme, the Nerd fight theme, the jock fight theme, Russel in the Hole, the greaser fight theme (Which if you ask most of the Bully fandom, they'll say it's unanimously the favorite), and my personal favorite, the prep fight theme. Give this awesome mix of music a listen sometime, you won't be disappointed when I say it's the best thing about the game. 10/10

Final Thoughts: Bully is worth a purchase, especially if it's the Scholarship Edition. I have both versions and they are still great to play once in a while to watch that story unfold, and for that friggin great music. Not the best looking game, but still fun to play. Worth about $10 if you can find it on the internet, don't try to pay for any higher, it's not that rare.

Final Grade: 9/10

(Hey guys, sorry for being several months late on the review, but life is what it is, and I finally had Christmas break, so I decided why not throw you guys a bone and finally get off my ass and finish the Bully review. Hope you enjoyed it, and next up, I'll be doing a couple doozies. Two Visual Novels and two Japanese RPG horror games are up next, so keep a close eye out.)

Next Time:

Family is the most important thing in our lives.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I never got too far in Bully, but it's still great fun without advancing.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

#GrimLove

Status

Clannad

Platform: Windows (Worldwide), Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, PSP & Vita (Japan Only)

Released: April 28, 2004 (JP)
    November 23, 2015 (WW)

Developer: Key

Genre:
    Visual Novel

Plot: Tomoya Okazaki is what you would call a delinquent with no sense of direction. Finding no purpose in life, he meanders through school day by day. He lives with his estranged father and his only other friend is another delinquent (and idiot) Youhei Sunohara. One day, on the bottom of the hill leading to school, Tomoya meets a frail and quiet girl by the name of Nagisa Furukawa, who is talking to herself when he interjects and urges her to get a move on to school. From there, their stories begin and intertwine. 9/10

Gameplay: It's about damn time I finally get to reviewing this after putting it off for quite a while. So a Visual Novel is basically an interactive novel, with branching paths proper to what your actions pertain. You control Tomoya Okazaki, just some gloomy sarcastic asshat with a penchant for helping people, and you basically control what he does throughout the game, simple enough, right?

Well, there are different areas to the game, and different people to interact with throughout, and the main objective is to help out the five main heroines to obtain orbs (for whatever reason). There are only five scenarios available to you at the beginning in the "School Life" Arc. The "After Story" Arc is available only after obtaining 8 orbs, so that will take some amount of time.

While there's a lot of characters, I'll pretty much quickly go over the main ones, which there are seven of: Tomoya, Nagisa, Kyou Fujibayashi, Ryou Fujibayashi, Kotomi Ichinose, Tomoyo Sakagami, and Fuko Ibuki. The six girls are pretty much the entirety of the School Life Arc, while Tomoya and Nagisa exclusively are major facets to the After Story Arc.

This seems like it's really just doing a quick explanation, but the fact is it's really just simplistic while fun, and I really don't want to spoil a lot about the game, plot-lines and all that (Although I spoiled the big one in my top 10s... oops ) so I'm keeping it vague on purpose. 8/10

Visuals: Considering this is basically an interactive manga, the visuals are pretty nice. They're bright and vibrant and dark and gloomy when the situation calls for it. The characters are well drawn (even if characters do look similar sometime), and they each have unique facial expressions. Sometimes the best visuals are the ones that are conventional, and in the case of Clannad, it's as conventional as can be, but makes it all the better. Just look at the pictures and lemme know what you think, for me, it's a solid 10/10

Audio: Literally THE BEST thing to come out of this game is the music by mastermind Jun Maeda. Amazing set pieces for ambiance, emotional boosting, and pure beauty. Each song is unique in its own right and if you could, I DEMAND you buy the soundtrack to Clannad. I merely cannot praise the music enough, it is enough to stand alone on its own and has even had amazing remixes and covers. In my reviews I only give out 10/10s, but for the case of the music of Clannad, I give it the only rating it deserves. 11/10

Final Thoughts: If Visual Novels are not really your scene, then I honestly wouldn't suggest giving it a try. However, if you want a story that has more heart as any critically acclaimed game in today's world and with music that God himself must have sanctioned, then I suggest buying this from Steam now. Pop it in and you will not be disappointed. I wasn't and I was so happy I got to see both the VN and the Anime.

Next Review:

And you thought Clannad was sad...

#GrimLove

Status

Little Busters

Platform: Windows, PS2, PSP & Vita, PS3

Released: July 27, 2007 (Japan)

Developer: Key

Genre: Visual Novel

Plot:
    Riki Naoe was alone as a kid, until he met a group of four calling themselves the Little Busters. Riki quickly became their friends and grew up alongside all of them: Masato Inohara, Kengo Miyazawa, and Rin & Kyousuke Natsume. Riki has grown up and is now in his junior year with Masato, Kengo, and Rin, while Kyousuke is a senior and will be leaving for Tokyo to seek a job after graduating. To relive the nostalgia of their youth, Kyousuke assigns the group a task to play baseball, and looks to Riki for increasing the numbers of the Little Busters to create a full team. Along the way, he meets up with several girls with unique personalities: Komari Kamikata, Haruka Saigusa, Noumi Kudryavka, Yuiko Kurugaya, and Mio Nishizono. While attempting to recruit them, Riki learns of their personal demons and life problems, and it is up to his friendship and goodwill to see them through their problems. Everything is not as it seems however, as Riki suffers from narcolepsy, a side-effect of witnessing the death of his parents. Friendships are tested, and bonds are created within the Little Busters. 10/10

Gameplay: Very similar to Clannad actually, but with key differences. For one thing, it's an adult VN... so porn... yep. On the upside though, there's fighting RPG style! Like seriously, this game is hella funny and fun. It has branching storylines yes, and even has a hilarious scenario where you choose to love Kyousuke over any of the girls. However, its storylines are just like Clannad, emotional, riveting, and interesting, and is up to you to go through the answers and pick the best one. The story goes by your pace and that's one of the nice things about Visual Novels, it's all paced by the player. So think of Clannad, it's pretty much the same, but with extra features to add more fun... and porn, that too. 9/10

Visuals: The visuals for Little Busters are a complete step up from Clannad, and it looks awesome. It's visually appealing and can frankly get very grim when need be, and does get REALLY grim. Though how can you really say it's bad? It's made by Key for pete sake! The best thing I can say, that's really short & sweet anyways, is that Little Busters is the better looking VN (as well as the sadder one). 10/10

Audio: Jun Maeda does it once again by creating pure beauty in his work. Little Busters has an amazing soundtrack I love to pop in at times to get all emotional (cuz I'm that kinda guy~). Beautiful pieces that come together with amazing visuals and a gorgeous story, Little Busters really is Key's best work. 10/10

Final Thoughts: For a long long time, I thought Clannad was the greatest Key VN and Anime... then I played and watched Little Busters. I felt so much emotion that I genuinely cried more with this than Clannad, and I gotta tell you, if you loved that, you will, without a shadow of a doubt, love Little Busters. A MUST BUY once it comes out in America.

Next Time:

Welp, Hell Exists, Guys.

#GrimLove

Status

Misao

Platform:
    Windows

Released: October 4, 2011 (Version 1)
    June 25, 2014 (Version 3)

Developer: Sen

Genre: Survival Horror

Plot: 3 months ago, a student by the name of Misao disappeared. Aki didn't know her very well, but it was well known that she was picked on a lot by other students. Rumors say that a curse has been laid down upon those who tormented her before her disappearance. However, Aki has been suffering from strange dreams, in which Misao is calling out to him/her to find her. One fateful morning, during class, an earthquake erupts, creating havoc. When Aki awakes, the school is in a completely different dimension, otherwise known as the Other World. The Student Body President, Onigawara, explains to Aki that she must find the parts of Misao to end the curse, while saving the others.
    Spoiler:

After managing to find all of Misao's parts and completing the necessary sacrifices, Aki comes to learn of the fate of Misao. She had been bullied, assaulted, cheated on, sexually harassed, and worse, raped... before being mercilessly murdered by the teacher, Mr. Sohta. Once the world had gone back to normal, nobody remembered what happened, and those who died are forgotten. The only one who remembers is Aki. When she goes to see Mr. Onigawara, it is revealed nobody knows who that is, as he too has vanished.
    10/10

Gameplay: Misao is a unique style of game that actually has been getting more and more popular over the years, with games like Corpse Party, Witch's House, Mad Father, The Crooked Man, and Ib getting into the radars of a lot of people, and with good reason. These games are fantastically done! Essentially, the game plays like an RPG, but without leveling up or fighting, just walking around, puzzle solving and picking up items. Simplistic enough but still fun to play. These games have some hella difficult puzzles though, and they are ones you'll never figure out your first way through without help. That's the fun though.

Oh, and since it's a horror game, expect a few jumpscares here or there, though it's none that'll really get you jumping (not like Witches House). The real hook of this game has to be the story. I kept it as basic as possible so you get the gist of it, but there is just a lot to go over, and it is some serious material it trudges into; a bit like Corpse Party actually.

The best way to explain would really to be get the game for yourself and check it out. The game is free and downloadable. You can get it here.

The puzzles are actually rather varied, which is a nice thing to see. One requires salt to get rid of an angry spirit in a hallway, another requires you to actually stay PERFECTLY STILL. I can't give away the others, but you fucking up shouldn't be a problem as long as you quicksave before doing anything. (Quicksaving only temporarily resets you back where you saved. You need to hard save in certain spots to be able to play later.

After beating the game as well, you're introduced to a second scenario, otherwise known as "Truth". It takes place right after the events of the first scenario, but delves deeper into the story and more of the background of one particular character. It's a welcome addition that should be played.
    Update: I just started playing the third version and it is even better than I expected. I was thinking there would just be a few things changed, but no, they changed most of the layout of the school, and added a shit ton more traps! You want the best version, then 3.01 is your best bet. Just so much more depth now and a lot of fun ways to die, this actually ups my original gameplay rating from 7/10 to 8/10!

UPDATE: As of 2017, there is a new version of Misao available on Steam. This review is out of date.

Visuals:
    Blood and guts mixed with a match of hilarious death scenes probably best describes this game. It is really nice and appealing to look at especially considering its basis in Anime and Manga art. It has a dark atmosphere that seems nearly realistic, though still managing to remain in the confines of the game, and the light colors are only used when in a safe zone, which adds another level of depth to the psyche in this game. So, suffice to say, the visuals are pretty good. 8/10

Audio: The music and sound effects for this game are really good, perfect for horror really. Some music is upbeat, most of it is grim and foreboding. It's very nice to be able to have some more atmosphere here and the music it great for it. The sound effects are also fantastic, bangs, booms, screams, moans, laughter, just the common mish-mash of horror sound tropes in this. It's great. 9/10

Final Thoughts:
    Misao is a really good RPG Horror game among a list of them. Not nearly as good as Corpse Party or The Crooked Man, but I'd say it's much better than it's successor, Mad Father. It's free, so hit up the link I gave you, download it, and give it a whirl.

Final Grade: 9/10

Next Time:

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-05-2018 at 08:48 AM.

#GrimLove

Status

Mad Father

Platform: Windows

Released: December 10, 2012

Developer: Sen

Genre: Survival Horror

Plot: Aya Drevis's father has an occupation some parents would have, but he takes his job differently. Her father is a doctor, but he doesn't exactly do anything doctor-like. Aya's mother passed away some time ago, from an unknown illness, and her father has been working in the basement with his assistant all day, leaving her alone. One night, something seems to go horribly wrong, as several ghosts start attacking Aya, who barely escapes them. It is up to Aya to find her father and discover what exactly happened to cause the spirits of her father's victims to rise from the dead. 8/10

Gameplay: Just like what you'd expect from Misao, it's a RPGmaker Horror Game. There are quite a few more puzzles to solve in comparison to Misao, which is exponentially shorter, but there are also once again, multiple endings, so essentially you can say Mad Father is a carbon copy of Misao with a different story thrown in and a different setting.

While still great, it doesn't have much of an updated look and is frankly less exciting than Misao, with less of a morbid sense of humor, and more of just a depressing feel overall, which doesn't exactly lend itself to the suddenness of the plot reveal at the end, it's more like you see it coming, instead of Misao, which hints at it, but still maintains somewhat of a sophomoric humor thrown into all the scares. 7/10

UPDATE: As of 2017, there is a new version available on Steam. This review is out of date.

Visuals:
    The visuals are just as good as Misao if not better. It fits the atmosphere, and there's a lot more gore to go around. Since the game goes for being grim almost the entire time, it's good to know the atmosphere sticks with it and doesn't pull away at all. I'd say it's less colorful than Misao, but I'm a bit of a gore-hound (I love Dead Alive), so I like this a bit more. 9/10

Audio: The music in the game is a lot better than Misao, that's for sure. The title screen especially sets the mood with a soft piano lullaby, as if to say, "Yeah, this game has feels, yo." The atmospheric music also is perfect concerning the story and visuals. There is SOME music borrowed from Misao, but it's not enough to really make you notice. Overall, the music is probably the best thing about the game, which is either saying a lot about the game, or saying a lot about the music. 10/10

Final Thoughts:
    Overall, Mad Father is the same package that Misao is, but without the sick sense of humor and without an update, feels more like a simplistic version of the other M. I know I keep comparing it to its predecessor, but since it's made by the same guy, I kinda have to. If it wasn't for Misao's 2014 update, I'd say Mad Father was the better game by a mile, but alas, I can't.

Final Grade: 8.5/10

Next Time:

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.

#GrimLove

Status

SplatterHouse 2

Console: Genesis

Released:
    August 3, 1992 (Genesis (NA))
    August 4, 1992 (Genesis (JP))
    1992 (Genesis (EU))
    July 1, 2008 (Virtual Console (JP))
    August 4, 2008 (Virtual Console (NA))

Genre: Beat-Em' Up

Plot: Three months have passed since Rick survived the onslaught at the West Mansion, where he was forced to murder his own girlfriend. Suffering from nightmares of the events, Rick searches desperately the mask that helped him escape before. He receives a notice from the thing in his sleep one night. "She doesn't have to die, Rick. We can save her. Go back to the house, I'll find you there; only I can give you the power. You need me." 8/10

Gameplay: SplatterHouse 2 plays identically to the original, though harder. The enemies are a lot more disfigured than the last, and they all are looking finer on a superior machine, and with better concept art. With it being harder, means there is a higher skill curve. The better you are at the wonky jumping, the longer your game will be, and trust me, the jumping is not very good, but hey, it's better than SplatterHouse.

The bosses are all different (No inverted cross or Biggy Man this time ) and they've all got little niches that can lead them to be defeated fairly quickly. The enemies are pretty standard but fun to punch the hell out of and got some decent challenge to them, also with some niches. Overall, if you liked SplatterHouse, you'll like 2 just a little more. 8/10

Visuals: For the Genesis, it was quite impressive to be able to see some blood and guts for once on the screen (unlike the TG-16's Crappy ass software), everything was detailed very well and admittedly, it's very nice to look at. Just a big improvement from the Arcade and TG-16 version of SplatterHouse. 8/10

Audio: The music was pretty kick-ass, to be honest. Hearing music like this when you're beating the shit out of things was just like the original. Unlike the original, however, SplatterHouse 2 went a more metal route. Thanks to the Genesis, Namco was able to make use of some kick ass drums and bass. I'd say it's just as great as the Original Arcade music. 9/10

Final Thoughts: A big improvement over the original SplatterHouse while also adding to the story. Rick's one of the ultimate heroes, to me. He goes through hell and high water (literally) to save the girlfriend he mercilessly murdered last game because he friggin cares. Adorable, I says. This game is a good addition to anyone's Genesis collection if ever there was one.

Final Grade: 8/10

Next Time:

If I hide in this box, Senpai won't notice me~!

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 04-10-2016 at 09:47 PM.

#GrimLove

Status

Metal Gear

Console: MSX2

Released: July 7, 1987

Genre: Stealth

Plot: The year is 1995, in Africa, news is leaked of a nation state, Outer Heaven, procuring nuclear capabilities. It is revealed they kidnapped nuclear physicist Pettrovich Madnar, who developed a top secret weapon named Metal Gear. U.S. Special Forces FOXHOUND member Grey Fox infiltrates Outer Heaven and subsequently disappears. A rookie by the name of Solid Snake is sent to infiltrate the country, rescue Grey Fox and Dr. Madnar, as well as destroy Metal Gear if possible. 8/10

Gameplay: Here we are, the first of many reviews I will be doing for the Metal Gear franchise. Metal Gear originally was not supposed to be a stealth game, it was originally supposed to be an action shooter. However, Hideo Kojima, the developer of the game, found the MSX2's hardware incapable of producing lots of sprites and characters on the screen, so he changed the game to a stealth action game. Right away, the seeds are planted in the Metal Gear franchise with this installment.

The game begins by giving you three branching paths, indicating that there is going to be a lot of exploration, so get comfortable. Your job is to sneak around enemies, dispatching them quietly at times to progress, while also rescuing hostages, and getting as many items as you can. Surprisingly, unlike many of the other games in the franchise, Metal Gear has a sense of pacing and brevity that allows the player to work as he wants, and the dialogue in the game is brisk and sparse, which is almost unbelievable in today's Metal Gear games.

The enemies are actually not as tough in the beginning, but they can kill you quickly. The niche to these guys is that they have really bad vision. Like, you can dance around them pretty easily, since the only way they can spot you is if you are directly in front of you or you shoot a gun. They also have these really predictable moving patterns. Overall, the enemies aren't that difficult but at the same time, if you're caught off guard, you will get killed pretty easily. It's a nice balance that the game carries.

There's also a leveling up system that Solid Snake goes through in the game. The more people you save, the more stars you gain. At one star, you're weak and pretty pathetic, but by level 3 you're destroying tanks and helicopters and jumping off buildings! The downside is that you NEED those stars to be able to beat Metal Gear, the final boss of the game. You can lose them pretty easily by killing the hostages, so it's best you avoid getting all gun happy.

Also, a LOT of Metal Gear's niches were born from this game, such as having to cycle through keycards just to open a door, which is a major annoyance when you're in a gas room. Not only that, but there is also a lot of backtracking, just like in the other Metal Gear Solid games, this is mostly to keep what is in reality a pretty short game, a lot longer by keeping the player moving (Much like Resident Evil).

Overall, the game has some of the best Level Design in a series you can see. Considering this came out in 1987, this was one of, if not, the best level design of the 1980's, towering over Mega Man, CastleVania, and even The Legend of Zelda. It had very smart design choices that made it stand out among many of the contemporary games of its time. The gameplay is (just like Castle Wolfenstein and the sequel, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein) a progenitor to what would become an incredibly popular genre in the late 1990's and 2000's. 8/10

Visuals: The MSX2's visual capabilities were somewhat superior to the NES, considering it is a computer console. The game does have smart visual choices, ranging from a cramped and claustrophobic military complex to a wide and expansive desert. The game looks very dark and dusty and it helps move the game along by showing a somewhat modernistic military establishment. While not the greatest, it fits the game perfectly and enhances the experience. 7/10

Audio: The music in the game is pretty great, and the audio is limited but fits the game. The music however was not to the MSX2's full potential and thus has something lacking within it, but carries a very military tone and still, once again, fits the game. The tune's also are some of the best tunes in gaming, and even though the Theme of Tara is one you'll hear most of the time, it's a god damn masterpiece of very sneaking music. The other pieces are also fantastic, especially Red Alert. 8/10

Final Thoughts: Metal Gear is a really damn good game, although overshadowed by its sequels, but it has some very smart level design and as a progenitor of the series, it is incredible. This game is actually on Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and on the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, so it is highly recommended.

Final Grade: 8/10

Next Time:

Zanzibar... Land...?

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.

#GrimLove

Status

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Console: MSX2

Released: July 20, 1990

Developer: Konami

Genre: Stealth Action Shooter

Plot: 1990: The world economy is crippled by a major oil shortage. Nations all throughout the world have given up nuclear capabilities in favor of increasing the economy to a stable level. Alternative energy sources are also adopted to slow the crippling waste of oil. One scientist, Dr. Kio Marv, engineers a new type of algae that produces hydrocarbons: OILEX. On his way to the US to give a demonstration, he is captured and kidnapped by the nation state Zanzibarland, which was founded in 1997. Not only that, Zanzibarland also has procured a tremendous stockpile of nuclear warheads, becoming the only nuclear power in the entire world.

FOXHOUND's new commander, Roy Campbell, is headed with a secret project to infiltrate Zanzibarland and rescue Dr. Marv. He reinstates formerly retired operative Solid Snake into the mission. It is once again up to Snake to save the world's future from a nation that holds the world hostage, just like Outer Heaven, 4 years earlier. 10/10

Gameplay: The sequel to Metal Gear, MG2: Solid Snake pulls no punches and recreates the world of Metal Gear by becoming perhaps the greatest 8-bit game of all time. Solid Snake introduces brand new mechanics on the MSX2 that would be YEARS ahead of its time. For an 8-bit game, this thing plays like its 16-bit.

The first noticeable change in the gameplay is the introduction of the beloved Soliton Radar. This thing picks up enemy signatures in different areas and tracks their movement, and trust me, it'll come in handy, because the AI of this game is exceedingly improved from its predecessor, seriously. Enemies now follow relatively intelligent patrol patterns, walking from one screen to the next. Not only that, they now have a 45 degree field of vision, and they also turn their heads, making you A LOT more noticeable.

Metal Gear 2 was also incredibly smart by creating the crouch and crawl feature that became standard place in the Solid games. You're given ample hiding places to escape from the guards, and hey, your radar jams when detected, so it's best to try and hide when things get rough.

The game is also a lot longer, and this is to account for the actually pretty gripping story it tells. While not nearly on the level of Solid 1 & 2, Metal Gear 2 tries to tell a pretty great story by meshing it with the gameplay; there is a lot more dialogue, each character has a chance to shine, and each has a reason for doing what they do. When you think about it, Metal Gear 2 has probably the best storytelling in the 8-bit era, but I'm getting ahead of myself. With the increased length comes the inevitable problem of increased backtracking, which happens a lot in this game, and unfortunately, is pretty standard in the Solid games. Not only that, there are some pretty annoying parts of the game, which involve having to follow someone in the jungle for what seems like forever, and not only that, some of the boss fights are pretty intense and difficult.

Despite the minor annoyances (which are few and far between), this is genuinely a god damn gift from Hideo Kojima and his crew. It's a game that despite coming out 8 years earlier, is on par, if not better than Metal Gear Solid in terms of gameplay. (Though not quite the level of greatness of Snake Eater). 9/10

Visuals: When I think about it, Metal Gear and Solid Snake are really a stark contrast from one another. Metal Gear highlights the best of what a game can look like in the late 80's with limited hardware, and Solid Snake is what it looks like when you have that same technology, but you inject your own hardware to increase output and processing power into something fucking fantastic. The first game utilized a darker color palette to fit the tone of the story, however, with this increased processing power, Solid Snake dared to go with a lighter color palette, while not deviating much, and 8-bit graphics that border on 16-bit. 10/10

Audio: Man oh man. Compare Metal Gear's soundtrack with this game, and it is night and day. What difference a better sound chip can do, man. Solid Snake's music is criminally underrated and is probably the BEST soundtrack in the entire series, and that's saying something (It does have amazing competition in Solid 1, 2, and 3). My favorite tracks have to be the rocking "Advance Immediately" and "Zanzibar Breeze". Each are masterfully composed, and I have to thank the ENTIRE team for giving us this gift. 10/10

Final Thoughts: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is such a criminally underrated masterpiece that I can't believe it's not talked about more. To me, it is the single greatest 8-bit game of all time. It is included with Metal Gear on MSG3: Subsistence AND the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and it is HIGHLY recommended for anyone who is a fan of the series, and not only that, anyone that wants to play one of the greatest games ever made.

Next Time:Shadow Moses Island...

Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-05-2018 at 08:53 AM.

#GrimLove

Status

Metal Gear Solid

Console: PlayStation

Released: September 3, 1998 (Japan)
    October 21, 1998 (North America)
    February 19, 1999 (Europe)
    June 24, 1999 (Integral (Japan))
    September 30, 1999 (Integral (North America))
    October 29, 1999 (Integral (Europe))

Developer:
    Konami

Genre: Stealth Action Shooter

Plot: 2005: six years after the fall of Zanzibarland, a rogue genetically enhanced FOXHOUND seizes the nuclear weapons disposal facility, Shadow Moses Island, off the coast of Alaska. They hold DARPA chief Donald Anderson and ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker hostage on the island. Their demands are that of the body of Big Boss, the greatest soldier who ever lived, within 24 hours. With no alternative, the US Government pulls Colonel Roy Campbell out of retirement and reenlists the help of Solid Snake once again, who retired again after Zanzibarland. Snake begrudgingly agrees to help once again rescue the world from nuclear annihilation for a third time. 10/10

Gameplay: The transition from 2D to 3D was not an easy task for Kojima and co., however, I believe they made great steps towards making a really good 3D stealth game with Metal Gear Solid. Here, many of the ideas that worked so well in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, are brought back and well programmed for the 3D environment. There's also a few new additions/alterations here that deserve a look at.

First up, is how Snake moves. Snake moves around as you'd expect with an analog stick (or D-pad) and can crouch and dive at the ground for cover, however, the shooting mechanic is something that would be continued throughout the series, and I gotta say, it's very... tedious. Shooting almost requires you to pause and enter first person mode, and just like in Resident Evil 4 (don't get me started), you can't move around when aiming. Yes, you can fire you're weapon while running, just not when aiming. It's something I think was a workaround for the existing tech at the time, and personally think they didn't get it right until MGS V: Ground Zeroes.

Secondly, are the enemies. The enemies are somewhat more/less balanced than compared to Solid Snake. They follow very strict patrols and thus are predictable, but are more wary of their surroundings. They can spot footprints, hear footsteps, and even can hear knocks. This can be used to your advantage, but more often than not, will lead to you being caught. They also are a lot more deadly than in games prior, as you once again start out with minimal health and no weapons, so you're stuck to your wits. In fact, the first two rooms in the entire game are something of a test course for how you can sneak by and/or get caught by enemies. Cameras, water that makes sound, footprints, spotlights, it's incredibly varied, but it seems those are the only two rooms where it has that variety.

I'd also like to mention how pretty straightforward and jarring the game happens to be looking back. At first, you've got cut scenes every few rooms, then there are points where it is a cutscene almost every few feet. It gets pretty annoying, but you have to consider that Kojima originally wanted to be a filmmaker, so I guess it's easy to forgive him on this one. To be honest, the story is just as gripping as its predecessor, even though it recycles A LOT of stuff from the prior game (as well as retconning it to an extent).

The boss battles were also a bit a gripe to me, as they were pretty much endurance tests, except for maybe Vulcan Raven, he's a bit... overrated. Sniper Wolf's two battles were great progenitors, however, would be eclipsed by Snake Eater's battle with The End years later. Liquid's boss battles were also something of a chore to get through, though not necessarily bad. My personal favorite I suppose would be Revolver Ocelot's first battle. It mixed tension with high risk since you were surrounded by a shit ton of bombs and you had a hostage at the center of it all.

While yes, there's a lot of good things with the gameplay, it overall needed a lot of work (which Sons of Liberty unfortunately did not fix... at all). It was nothing but mostly great, but the things that held it down, held it down big time. 8/10

Visuals:
    For 1998, these were some kick ass graphics for the time, especially considering the other best looking game that game out that year was Half-Life. It had somewhat of a variety of looks and colors which were impressive, though slightly dated today. For a military spy thriller, it works perfectly in context to the tone and story of the game, so there was absolutely no problem with this. 9/10

Audio: This game has really good music and top notch voice acting, especially for 1998. David Hayter as Solid Snake is definitive and the role he has here is some of the best work he's ever done. The other VA's are also spectacular. Can I also mention the nearly critically acclaimed alert theme? It has to be some of the best tension music in any game, and on it is some of the best sneaking music in the franchise as well. 9/10

Final Thoughts:
    Metal Gear Solid is a critically acclaimed game, no doubt, but it does have its fair share of problems that would be addressed in later games down the road. It's definitely a classic, and totally worth getting if you ask me.

Final Grade:
    9/10
    Last edited by Grim Barrows; 02-11-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Thread Information