Status
      Country                    United States

The Predator (2018)

Release date: September 14, 2018
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Shane Black
    MPAA Rating: N/A
    Screenwriters: Fred Dekker, Shane Black
    Starring: Boyd Holbrook, Olivia Munn, Trevante Rhodes, Keegan-Michael Key, Sterling K. Brown, Thomas Jane, Jacob Tremblay, Alfie Allen, Yvonne Strahovski, Edward James Olmos
    Genre: Thriller, Action, Adventure

Plot Summary: The sci-fi action franchise sequel/reboot is to be directed by Shane Black from a script by his "Monster Squad" co-writer Fred Dekker, and based on a story that the pair wrote together.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Predator (TBA)

So the guy that played Hawkins in the original movie is coming back to write/direct and he's bringing Fred FUCKING Dekker along for the ride? Awesome.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Western Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Predator Getting The Reboot Treatment From Iron Man 3's Shane Black

Shane Black is certainly best known in Hollywood for his skill behind the scenes, having scripted action classics like Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Good Night and most recently both written and directed Iron Man 3, but what some of you may not know is that he has a few acting credits on his resume as well. One of his earliest roles was as the bespectacled Hawkins in Predator, but what's interesting now is that his career has come full circle in a very strange way. Why? Because Shane Black has now been put in charge of getting the Predator franchise back on track.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned from sources that Black has signed a deal with Twentieth Century Fox that will see the filmmaker take the helm of a brand new Predator reboot. In addition to directing the movie, Black is also writing the treatment for the project, which he will then turn over to Fred Dekker - Black's co-writer on 1987's Monster Squad - who will pen the screenplay. Details about the project remain unclear, but the trade report suggests that the film could be planned as a relaunch of the 80s franchise.

As THR notes, there is a funny story to how Black actually ended up being in the original Predator. Made back in 1986, Fox had actually pursued Black about doing a polish draft of the movie, but the writer turned them down multiple times. Eventually the studio offered him an actual role, which Black accepted, but when he got to the South American set he was once again asked to work on the script - which he then promptly refused once again.

Since launching in the mid-80s, the Predator franchise has tried to come back multiple times - but has unfortunately never been overwhelmingly successful. Predator 2 - which decided to replace the jungle setting with Los Angeles and Arnold Schwarzenegger with Danny Glover - came out in 1990, and that wasn't followed up until Alien vs. Predator and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem came out in 2004 and 2007, respectively. The most recent attempt to bring the series back to the big screen was in 2010 when director Nimrod Antal made the Robert Rodriguez-produced Predators.

As both a huge fan of Shane Black and original Predator, I couldn't possibly be more stoked about this news. But how do all of you feel about it? Are you happy that the franchise is coming back? Do you think Black is the right director to make the reboot? Answer our poll below and tell us what you think in the comments section.
    Wow it is going to be a reboot. Will Black bring this franchise back?!

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I'd like to see the character return to the city as opposed to the jungle. A city like Hong Kong would be an amazing hunting ground for a Predator and would provide some nice scenery to boot. Still, regardless of the setting, it's a Predator movie so I'm in.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Killing It.

Status

Great director and obviously knows the character well, sounds good to me!

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

The Monster Squad team reteaming for Predator? I'm in. I hear a lot of complaining, which is always going to happen with remakes or reboots, but with those two involved and writing it, I'm definitely interested.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

A Predator reboot let's see where they take the Predator this time around. I would say the most recent Predator movie, I was into the movie till I see the Predator sword fighting with one of the characters in the middle of grassy area. The true Predator wouldn't be playing such games. Hopefully they can capture what the first Predator had to offer, a creature that doesn't fucking play, and just love collecting victim's skulls as his collection.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Shoryuken View Post
    A Predator reboot let's see where they take the Predator this time around. I would say the most recent Predator movie, I was into the movie till I see the Predator sword fighting with one of the characters in the middle of grassy area. The true Predator wouldn't be playing such games. Hopefully they can capture what the first Predator had to offer, a creature that doesn't fucking play, and just love collecting victim's skulls as his collection.
    What do you mean they don't play such games? They're trying to test their skills against a variety of opponents, hence why they have an entire planet devoted to doing just that. Surely the more they learn about their opponents the quicker they adapt and become more efficient killers. Picking off an individual is alright, but testing yourself against one is that much more important. Not to mention, earlier in the movie, they were playing other games with the mercenaries by leaving Danny Trejo in the clearing as bait to try and draw the others in. There are many more instances of the Yautja toying with their prey in the films too, it's not like that was anything new.

Not to mention, the swordfight was one of the most bad-ass parts about Predators.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Boobage Expert

Status

Well according to Cinemablend Black dispelled rumors today that it would be a reboot as he feels it's not needed since all of the sequels have featured different casts so the new one will too and just be different.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iMatt View Post
    Well according to Cinemablend Black dispelled rumors today that it would be a reboot as he feels it's not needed since all of the sequels have featured different casts so the new one will too and just be different.
    Well then that's even better.

Status

A reboot? I don't know about that. But if Adrian Brody isn't in it, I'm down.

Status

Shane Black Confirms That His Predator Will be a Sequel

Big news broke yesterday with the reveal that Shane Black has plans to "reboot" 20th Century Fox's Predator. Today, the Iron Man 3 writer and director (not to mention star of the John McTiernan original) tells Collider that his film does, indeed, tie to franchise continuity.

"Why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?" Black says, adding that he can, "...really get behind inventive sequels."

Black will be directing the new film and writing the treatment, which will then be scripted in full by Fred Dekker (with whom Black worked on Monster Squad).

The 1987 original was directed by John McTiernan and starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as the leader of a United States special forces team that comes under attack from an alien entity that prizes the thrill of the hunt above all else. It was followed by a direct sequel, Predator 2, in 1990 before crossing over with Fox's Alien franchise for two additional sequels, Alien vs. Predator and AvP: Requiem. In 2010, Nimrod Antal helmed a reboot with a new feature, Predators.

John Davis is attached to produce with Matt Reilly overseeing for Fox and Ira Napoliello overseeing for Davis Entertainment.
    As Imatt said it will be a sequel of sorts.

Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I'd like to see the character return to the city as opposed to the jungle. A city like Hong Kong would be an amazing hunting ground for a Predator and would provide some nice scenery to boot. Still, regardless of the setting, it's a Predator movie so I'm in.
    Wherever it's set, it'll be Christmastime...

I jest. I love Black's work, and I love the Predator franchise too. Really looking forward to this one.

Status

Shane Black’s Predator sequel is still happening, will reportedly “reinvent” the franchise

In case you forgot, Predator actor and Iron Man 3 director Shane Black was hired to write the treatment for and direct a new Predator movie for 20th Century Fox last year. Fred Dekker (RoboCop 3) also came on board to pen the screenplay. Over the past year, very few details about the sequel to the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic have emerged, leaving fans in the dark on the film’s status; however, a producer on the film, John Davis (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.), recently gave an update to Collider.

When asked if the sequel was still moving forward, John Davis, who was promoting his show The Player at the Television Critics Association, said, “Oh yes, you better believe it.”

He continued by talking about how Black has been busy lately with other projects, but also complimented Black’s work on the film so far, calling him an “amazing storyteller.” On the topic of the film’s script, which he apparently has read a good portion of, Davis commented, “I think it’s genius and I think it’s entertaining, and what it did is recreate a famous franchise in a different, interesting way; looking at it from a different light.”

Davis mentioned Dekker and the future of the franchise as well, saying, “Shane’s got a writing partner, Fred Dekker. They’ve been doing it together and Fred’s great. The two of them together, they’ve been in the business for a long time, but the writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I’m telling you you’re going to get something you don’t expect and you’re going to say, ‘This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.’ I mean he’s the guy who wrote Iron Man 3.”

As of now, there are three films in the Predator franchise: 1987’s Predator, 1990’s Predator 2 and 2010’s Predators. Neither Predator 2 nor Predators managed to match the success of the original film, although the latter still performed nicely at the box office.

Black recently wrapped production on 2016’s The Nice Guys, which stars Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe and Matt Bomer.
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this project, I want a Predator movie to succeed so bad, but the last one al though watchable wasn't anything worth remembering. I actually liked Alien Vs Predator even though it was kind of lame too.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I can't believe they chose Robocop 3 as the credit to give Fred Dekker when he's responsible for House, Night of the Creeps and The motherf*cking Monster Squad! Anyhow, hopefully the Black/Dekker combo works out well because I really want this to be good.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Status

Re: The Predator (2018)

Shane Black’s The Predator Wraps Filming

Filming has officially wrapped on director Shane Black’s reboot The Predator. Beginning in 1987 with Arnold Schwarzenegger starring in the lead role, Predator has developed a faithful fan following over the years, spawning the sequel Predator 2 as well as a shared universe with the Alien vs. Predator films. A soft reboot of the series, Predators, attempted to revive the series in 2010, but with only a modest $52 million return at the domestic box office against a $40 million budget, the series appeared doomed – until a voice from its past came calling.

Needless to say, the announcement of The Predator reboot generated a bit of excitement, and not only because it meant the return of the iconic Alien jungle hunter. Back for the ride, too, was Black, who essentially kicked off his acting career in the original Predator. Black has since developed a strong resume as a filmmaker, having written the original Lethal Weapon and written/directed such gems as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys.

Now, 15 weeks after the film went into production in late February, The Predator is one step closer to cinematic reality with the completion of shooting. Several actors on the production have taken to social media to call the film a wrap.

Tremblay’s Twitter message, of course, refers to Schwarzenegger’s classic line in the original Predator. And while Schwarzenneger will not be appearing in The Predator (he turned down the opportunity to be in the movie), Tremblay’s in good company, since The Predator‘s cast includes Boyd Holbrook, Sterling K. Brown, Edward James Olmos and Yvonne Strahovski.

The film, which in April was bumped back from a February 18, 2018, release to a summer box office-friendly August 3, 2018, release date, promises to maintain the spirit and integrity of the 1987 Predator film, at least in terms of practicality. To illustrate his point, Black has emphasized that the titular character will be an actor in a costume instead of a CGI rendering. And while the production has not issued an original photo of the Predator character, not one, but two of the alien jungle hunters appeared in an Instagram post from one of the film’s set photographers last month and clearly resemble the classic look of the famed movie monster.

With the cat somewhat out of the bag as to the look of The Predator, don’t be surprised for some sort of official photo reveal of the Predator in the coming months – maybe as soon as the San Diego Comic-Con in July. It’s going to be a long wait for Predator fans until late summer 2018 when the film is released, but by all indications, the wait for the reboot will be well worth it.
    Man, this is exciting me.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/st...524993/photo/1

It's funny I saw my from post from 3 years ago and I recently rewatched Predators for the time in years and for some reason I understood the whole Movie and liked it this time around. Topher Grace's character is headache worthy, but I think Adrien Brody was great in it, and the Action Scenes were better than I remember. As for this Film, I'm hoping they go straight dark with this Movie theirs so many lore they could create.

I saw the picture they were talking about the Article and I don't know still what to make of it. Are the Predators helping us now..or is this just a goofy pic. I mean why would the Predators help us, and if the Predators aren't the baddies, what is for that matter?

Real Women of Genius

Prince Of Joshi

Status

I have no clue what this story is, but it seems like the Predators intelligence has improved over the years and they are upgrading themselves with DNA from other species with that Teaser Trailer. That stupid little kid is going to be the end of us, and if we had enough problems beating the Predators back in the day, how do we expect to beat them now

Real Women of Genius

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Based on that trailer it seems like Fox only made this movie so they could say that Requiem is no longer the worst one. There is literally nothing in there that makes me want to see this and the triumphant proclamation that it's from the director of one of the dirt worst MCU movies doesn't help.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

I'm cool. I think

Status

And with that trailer, most of my hype for the film will go down the drain.
    I have been reborn.

Thread Information