Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Manager General Discussion

GMT Baby

Status

Football Manager General Discussion

So as we are all using the Football Manager 2013 thread to talk about this glorious series of games I figured we should just have a thread that everything belongs in, as we seem to have people playing and posting about a few different versions.

GMT Baby

Status

Re: Football Manager General Discussion

Me and Jon have just started games as Novara, they are a team with a lot of potential in Serie B.

So basically this is the tactic I have spent this years game perfecting, and I have had good results in most of my recent games.

Obviously this is only the basis for the tactic, as the majority lies with the player roles, and team philosophy. I basically try and push high up the pitch and press the opposition, and when I have it, play at a quick tempo and shift the ball from quickly to find openings.

I use the sweeper keeper as it is logical given the high pressing I use.

The centre backs are set as normal centre backs so that they pass the ball simply to either the full backs, or the half back. One of the CBs are set to cover, in this case Neuton as he is quicker and seems to anticipate attacks better, which gives me what feels like an extra line of defence at times.

The wing backs are set to support so that if I lose the ball they aren't way up in the opposition area. But they are key to the attack, set up to stick to the touchline and give my midfielders an option should they need, whilst providing the wingers with good passes.

The half back is the key to the formation, he effectively works in conjunction with my defenders, and as my whole philosophy is built on playing out from the back he is the first port of call for the defenders to give the ball to. He then plays it simply to the midfielders. Alternatively he works as a sort of pivot in attacking situations, if for example Martinez couldn't find a way through down the right wing, he could come back to Katidis and he would move the ball to the left and we would try again.

The centre midfielders are the risk takers in the team, they try to find the forwards in dangerous positions as soon as possible, whilst also joining in to attacks around the edge of the box.

The wingers are set to be very direct, and attack the opponents, hence why I choose players with good dribbling in these positions.

The strikers job is simple, he doesn't move outside of the width of the box, and is always the option furthest forward to get on the end of crosses or team moves.

It is basically an attempt at replicating the best parts of Guardiola's Barcelona, with a few other ingredients added in. The fundamentals are:

• Quick recycling of possession
    • Hard-work to win the ball back
    • Technical quality to break through teams.

That is basically the perfect stats for what I am trying to achieve, a really good result over a tough team.
    Last edited by Simmo; 06-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status
      Country                    Canada

There's still a strong temptation to take a plug and play tactic but I'm resisting. Going to edit this as I play games until the next post or what not.

Barely beat Lumezanne in the TIM Cup 2nd Qual. Rd (2-1) and then lost to Parma 0-3 in the TIM Cup 3rd Qual. Rd so that's off the books.

First three games of the season are all draws, 0-0 with Trapani, 2-2 with Bari, 1-1 with Juve Stabia.

I still feel the problem is not creating enough chances. I need to be reaching 20s on the regular but I have no idea how.

--

Tweaked the tactic, mainly changing the team and player instructions as well as making it a very fluid tactic. Not sure if its a one off thing but we beat Cittadella 4-1 with 17 shots and 8 on target. Hoping we can maintain those number of opportunities. Considering it was a weaker opponent, I'm not fully confident in the change yet.

--

Facing Ternana and very slightly favorites to win but a draw is predicted. We get our 19 shots and 9 on target so thats good but just as I went to change the tactics to counter we get scored on in the least 15 to lose 2-1. Dammit. They are now 1st and we are 11th. A win would've got us 4th.

--

Latina time, slight favorites again, and this time we're able to secure the win. Not sure if I should change to counter in the last 15 or also add retain possession, much lower tempo and what not. 12 shots, 5 on goals, wish we could've stayed over 15. 9th after this.
    Last edited by Evil Jon; 06-05-2014 at 02:05 AM.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

As I've found, 2014 keeps you on your toes, keeping switching tactics and being subtle about it.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

I'm enjoying these new instructions since we're getting the intended 15+ shots per game although now the priority is to get 20+ shots and 3 - 5 CCC's. Another game where we were slight favorites and we couldn't hold it down, ended in a draw with Padova (2-2), 19 shots but only 5 on target :/ We're in eleventh now but 1st is only 6 points up. We just need a good run Oh and Sansovini had the record for fastest goal in Serie B (21 seconds).

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I'm just a giant 0fer at Signal Iduna Park

cannot win at Dortmund even when they're struggling!

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

I cant get consistent wins even when I'm pretty much predicted to win, I can't fucking get the wins. Immensely frustrating. Just lost to Lanciano 2-0. We're just not getting quality shots off, I'm worried I'll need to go back to the drawing board again -_-

Also fucking Rugini is a total dick because I didn't sell him and I'm thinking of just benching him, despite how good he is, everything I do makes him mad so I think it's pointless to deal with it.

--

Frustrations rise, went down 0-1 early against Modena but managed to tie it up and get the draw. Record is now 2-5-2 because my team can't fucking win.
    Last edited by Evil Jon; 06-05-2014 at 02:56 AM.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

What formation are you using?

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mario SuperMandžukić View Post
    What formation are you using?
    4-3-3.

3 CM's (AP/BWM/DLP)

2 Inside Forwards

1 Poacher

So maybe 4-3-2-1 is more accurate

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Post your Poachers stats.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Before that, faced Crotone and renewed faith in the tactics although considering how inconsistent we are, we probably got lucky. Beat them 3-1, their goal coming in the last 15 despite going towards a countering style. 14 shots, 6 on goal and only 43% possession. This jumps us all the way to 5th but while we've been fucking around, Varase and Ternana each lead the league with 22 (4 above 3rd and 8 above me and a few other teams).

We're getting quite a bit of reds too which is rather frustrating.

And poacher's stats: I originally had someone else there but moved him to AMR since my usual AMR is injury prone.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Feel like your Pace is a little slow for a Poacher

He's from last years class of new players, since Simmo wanted to see stuff, kid is clearly going to be an absolute monster, as soon as he's eligible, he's playing.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Is Germany the one with the -No Players Under 17- rule? Hate that rule, wanted to play a bunch of youths with Munster.

So faced Empoli and we managed to do great again (for the first half at least), going up 3-0 although we conceded twice in the second half. Still we're now 4th, 11 points behind 1st place Ternana, 5 behind 2nd Varese, and 4 behind 3rd, Cesena. I feel like maybe getting Rigoli on the bench helped a bit.

Status

Yup, Germany has that rule. At least the Bundesliga does.

Think I'm gonna move from Germany to The Netherlands. Borussia Dortmund is fun and they start with an amazing squad, capable of playing lovely football. But that also leads little room to build. They don't have tons of depth so it can be interesting to snap up some quality young players and develop them, but that's really just growing new quality to replace old. I will likely continue on with that game to some degree but taking on PSV is a different challenge. Plenty of high potential young players but you need to develop them as they are the core of the squad.

Also recently ran a watcher sim into 2019. Quite interesting to see what high-potential players develop into stars and which are somehow undeveloped by the AI. Lucas Romero develops into one of the big players in world in almost any test sim I've run - always try to sign him if I have the money.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

Which guys do you tend to sign in each mode (in relation the above Lucas Romero statement). Eder Alvares Balanta and Doria are must buys on defense for me. They just get beast so fast, I prefer Balanta of the two though. Will Hughes and Kevin De Bruyne are two guys I love in the midfield. De Bruyne in particular, I've sort of grown an attachment for. Mitrovic is my go-to striker, total beast, I always try to beat records with him but he's got injury prone tendencies.

Oh yeah, everything went to shit after a big 3-0 win with Novaro, we lost three - four games to some low seeded teams in the league and I don't know why. We were doing so great against the tougher teams then we just went to shit.

Status

I've bought Balanta on a couple of games but never went much further with them any of them, so never given him a proper try. They were all with clubs that didn't have any real immediate needs at CB so adding another player made it messy.

Mitrovic is actually who I was eying up to replace Lewandowski with Dortmund after the first season.

In addition to Romero, I often will try to buy Domen Crnigoj, Sondre Rossbach, and Pawel Stolarski. Often sign Noel Soumah on a free as well. Crnigoj is a 17 year old Slovenian CM who can be had for under 1m. His physical attributes aren't great but he develops into a really nice DLP or regista. Rossbach is Noweigen goalkeeper who is 18 and a relative bargain. Stolarski is a Polish rightback with good phsicals, so if you can develop his technical and mental attributes, he can be a monster. Soumah doesn't have quite the potential but he's an 18 year old Sengalese CD with no club. Some attributes seem random so you might find him with really crappy strength or stamina. But he's worth a shot.

GMT Baby

Status

I find that just signing the same players on each different save is boring, it just feels like going through the motions of assembling the same team but with a different club.

I try to create a squad of players all from the same nation, as I tend to get better results, and it feels more satisfying to nurture a young squad of national compatriots to take on the world with. I also don't really buy high profile players, for example with Fiorentina I had numerous chances to get the likes of Balotelli, but the biggest player I signed was Mattia De Sciglio, or Marco Verratti. The same goes for last years version where I had a great save with Atletico Madrid, with the highest profile player signed being Isco from Malaga.

The -9 system is great at cutting out having every playthrough feel the same, I think fixed PA's should only be for fully established players.

Jon, finding ways to beat the easier teams is an art in itself, we saw Chelsea drop points against Cardiff, Aston Villa, West Brom, Sunderland, Stoke etc this season, which ultimately cost them the title. I often find it is best to be patient with lesser teams, as all out attack can often mean that they set themselves out to defend and counter. There is a balance, but I often don't get the important goal against the easier teams until in to the second half.

Your Least Favorite Mod

Status

When I first started playing FM, I used to cash out on high profile stars, I recall getting Neymar for like 90M with Chelsea or the Cavani's and Falcao's and shiz. I haven't done that much with FM14. I think the biggest player I got was Bender and Lamela who aren't really that big. I doubt I'll get any of my usual crew with this file since I'll try to stick with Italian players. Unless Lukaku, Shaw or Ward-Prowse come along, then I'm spending e_e

Fair enough, it's just incredibly frustrating, it's part of the game though. That said, how are you doing with the squad?

Ole!

Status

Hah, im about to sign Rivaldo for Leicester

May have made a little mistake signing so many free agents though, got too big a squad, may stick a few in the reserves and rotate.

GMT Baby

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mario SuperMandžukić View Post
    Feel like your Pace is a little slow for a Poacher

He's from last years class of new players, since Simmo wanted to see stuff, kid is clearly going to be an absolute monster, as soon as he's eligible, he's playing.
    Wow, he has really weird stats, where would you play him? seems like attacking midfield is the only place he would really fit in, but he has no creativity... Strange one.

Thread Information