Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FujiFilm Too: Electric Reviewaloo

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Canada

FujiFilm Too: Electric Reviewaloo

Alright, here’s the deal folks, seeing as my old review thread had 2,400 posts and the links to all the reviews in it got messed up, I felt it was time to create a brand spanking new thread to handle all my future reviews. Therefore, I present to you, FujiFilm Too: Electric Reviewaloo! All my standard movie reviews will now be featured in here, along with some mini ones I’ve done for another site and any other random reviews that I want to do as well. So yeah, hopefully you’re all as interested in this go around as you were in the last one and I’ll start taking requests shortly. Speaking of requests, I’ll be posting the first review in here soon, my take on John Carpenter’s Escape from L.A. as requested by Grim Reaper.

Oh and for those that are interested, here's the list of my 10/10 films from the OP of the original thread. Any one of these movies is guaranteed to rock your socks off.

12 Angry Men
    The Breakfast Club
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    Dawn of the Dead
    Dead of Night AKA Deathdream
    Die Hard
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    The Goonies
    Jaws
    Platoon
    Predator
    Psycho
    Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
    The Shining
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Terminator
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    John Carpenter's The Thing
    Total Recall
    Vertigo
    The Warriors

Review Index

12 Angry Men

The Brood

Demons/Demons 2

Enemy

John Carpenter's Escape from L.A.

Flannel Pajamas
    Frankenstein's Army

Godzilla (2014)

Hannibal
    Hellbound: Hellraiser II
    Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
    Hellraiser: Bloodline
    The Hunt

Johnny Handsome
    John Wick

Manhunter
    Miami Vice
    The Mist

Opera

Rituals

The Sacrament
    Scanners
    Session 9
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Sleepers
    Slugs: The Movie
    Spectre
    Star 80

They Came from Within
    Time Lapse

Videodrome

Wolfen
    Wonderland

Zodiac
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 11-09-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Television Shows of 2009~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: FujiFilm Too - Electric Reviewaroo

John Carpenter’s Escape from L.A.

It is the year 2013 and California has been cordoned off from the rest of the United States after an earthquake levelled it some 13 years earlier. A virtual prison island, it is now home to all the undesirables that the new American President wishes to get rid of. However, his own daughter, Utopia, is seduced by one of these men, Cuervo Jones, and told to steal a powerful weapon from her father. After doing this, she enters the prison island and brings him the weapon. The government can’t take the chance that he’ll use it so they call on Snake Plissken and send him into Los Angeles to retrieve both the weapon and Utopia.

After a series of excellent films in the 1980’s, director John Carpenter had a series of what I’ll call mostly misses from the 1990’s on. Surely nobody expected him to keep churning out masterpieces like Halloween or The Thing, but the marked drop in quality with films like Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Village of the Damned had to be disheartening. Returning to one of his previous characters should have been the spark that Carpenter needed to resurrect his slowly fading career; instead it just managed to make things worse. While it’s certainly not the poorest sequel ever (and is effectively more a remake anyways) it definitely doesn’t show Carpenter at his best nor does it even stay entertaining for its duration. To put not too fine of a point on it, Escape from L.A. pretty much sucks, although I did manage to find a few things about it that I liked. Unfortunately, for Carpenter in the 90’s and beyond, a few things are all I can really hope for.

"The leftover set from Terminator 2?"

Carpenter directed the film and co-wrote the screenplay along with frequent collaborator Debra Hill and star Kurt Russell, who apparently lobbied quite hard to have the film made. Honestly, I’m not sure he should have bothered, as it really is a mish mash of ideas that don’t work cohesively together. The main issue with the film itself is that it doesn’t really know what it wants to be. There are moments where it’s an action picture but then suddenly it’s a comedy yet almost immediately after it takes a dramatic turn. There’s some social commentary going on but it’s mostly overshadowed by this oddly satirical tone that is too pretentious for its own good. In a way, this film reminds me a little of Carpenter’s equally pretentious In The Mouth of Madness, and it’s not a surprise that it was released just a couple of years earlier. For the most part, Carpenter’s direction is fine, but the story is full of so much cheese that it’s just really hard to get into. It also doesn’t help that the $50 million budget apparently went to paying Russell and not into the special effects, because they’re honestly some of the worst that I’ve seen in any film. That wouldn’t be enough to be off-putting, but when the movie itself is pretty crappy, they become that much more noticeable.

"An Alan Smithee Film."

On the bright side of things, if he did take a lot of that budget money to pay himself, Kurt Russell at least turned in a solid performance and seems to be having a lot of fun whenever he’s on-screen. That’s a real bonus since as most of you know, I’m a big Kurt Russell fan and would hate to have to give him a failing grade here. That’s also the reason I’ve never reviewed Soldier, but I digress. Unfortunately for Russell, his supporting cast here is nowhere near as good as those that surrounded him in the first film. There’s no Harry Dean Stanton or Ernest Borgnine here. Instead we’ve got Steve Buscemi (a great actor who was clearly phoning it in here) and Georges Corraface (a Greek playing a Peruvian) as one of the worst villains I’ve ever seen put to film. Hell, we’ve even had to swap out the excellent Lee Van Cleef with the overly hammy Stacy Keach, and the results are predictably bad. Other strong actors like Peter Fonda and Cliff Robertson are wasted in one-dimensional roles (Fonda plays a hippie surfer dude who catches the worst looking wave ever) while Pam Grier plays a transsexual gang leader (seriously). I’ll give Carpenter a bonus point for casting Bruce Campbell in a small part though, because that rules almost as much as Campbell does. I also liked the casting of A.J. Langer as Utopia but only because she’s really hot, which is a definite positive here.

"Pam Grier proving she's every bit the man that Kurt Russell is."

Honestly, I’ve pretty much hit all the high points of the film already, so I may as well get into the low ones, of which there are many. First up, my main question is whether John Carpenter forgot to take his Ritalin before filming, because the majority of this film seems like it’s got major ADD. Things happen and then are quickly forgotten so another scene can begin even though the previous one wasn’t resolved. Characters flip flop in personality and direction, while some honestly appear to be there just so Carpenter could give them a paycheck. I’ve got no problem with vanity projects and certainly feel Carpenter had earned the right to one of them, but good grief he could have come up with something that was at least coherent. Perhaps my least favourite moment in the film is the basketball sequence, where Plissken does the impossible and makes a shot from beyond half court to save himself just as time is running out. This is the same guy who was so believably human in Escape from New York that you couldn’t help but fall in love with him. Here he’s just a superman, bereft of his human qualities which were the very essence of his being. If anything, the symbolic moment at the end where Snake pulls the plug and the screen goes dark is very reflective of what should have actually happened. However, in my world, he pulls the plug at the very beginning of the film and saves us the grief of having to sit through it for 100 agonizing minutes. 4/10.

"Snake's out bitches, Snake's out."

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Son of Sam

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: FujiFilm Too: Electric Reviewaloo

Oh ouch. I personally loved Escape From L.A. (Being a fan of the Metal Gear series, it's plain to see why they chose Kurt Russel's Plissken as an influence for Snake.)

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Oh ouch. I personally loved Escape From L.A. (Being a fan of the Metal Gear series, it's plain to see why they chose Kurt Russel's Plissken as an influence for Snake.)
    Haha, sorry, had to call it like I saw it. I mean, I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first one, but it wasn't even close. I can still remember seeing this at the theatre the day it came out and being totally pissed when it was over.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Son of Sam

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Haha, sorry, had to call it like I saw it. I mean, I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first one, but it wasn't even close. I can still remember seeing this at the theatre the day it came out and being totally pissed when it was over.
    Ah well, but admittedly, isn't it safe to say that all directors of the olden days started dying off during the 90's? Here's a few examples:

John Carpenter: After They Live in 1988, I don't think he ever made a movie as brilliant.
    Dario Argento: After Phenomena in 1985, He never made a great masterpiece like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, or Phenomena
    George Romero: After Day of The Dead in 1985, he just seemed to fall out and lose his gold.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Grim Reviews Random Games / WWE: Rewriting History / Resident Evil: Raccoon City

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Do we still get to request reviews? If so would you indulge me in reviewing The Hunt, just so it makes other people watch it?

If not, could you review The Hunt because it's amazing.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
    Ah well, but admittedly, isn't it safe to say that all directors of the olden days started dying off during the 90's? Here's a few examples:

John Carpenter: After They Live in 1988, I don't think he ever made a movie as brilliant.
    Dario Argento: After Phenomena in 1985, He never made a great masterpiece like Profondo Rosso, Suspiria, or Phenomena
    George Romero: After Day of The Dead in 1985, he just seemed to fall out and lose his gold.
    I'd say that's about right, although I didn't mind Carpenter's Vampires. Definitely not on the level of his 70's or 80's material though. Argento has definitely lost a few steps, his most recent movie, Dracula, is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario SuperMandžukić View Post
    Do we still get to request reviews? If so would you indulge me in reviewing The Hunt, just so it makes other people watch it?

If not, could you review The Hunt because it's amazing.
    For sure man, I'll do it in the next few days.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

you're my home

Status

I think a review of Wonderland is long overdue

God's Gift to God

Status

Speaking of reviews: Flannel Pajamas perhaps? I loved this movie and I'd wager most have never heard of it.

Nash sucks dick

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Booty View Post
    I think a review of Wonderland is long overdue
    Considering I just watched Rashomon and Wonderland takes a lot of inspiration from it, sure. I haven't seen it in years but remember liking it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron
    Speaking of reviews: Flannel Pajamas perhaps? I loved this movie and I'd wager most have never heard of it.

I've never heard of it dude. Just looked it up though, doesn't seem like my kind of movie but I'll give it a whirl if I can find a copy.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

you're my home

Status

To clarify I meant this Wonderland

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Booty View Post
    To clarify I meant this Wonderland
    Yep, that's the one alright. I think I saw it when it first came out and maybe one other time since then. Either way, I'll definitely need to give it a rewatch so I'm downloading it right now.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

God's Gift to God

Status

Considering I just watched Rashomon and Wonderland takes a lot of inspiration from it, sure. I haven't seen it in years but remember liking it a lot.

I've never heard of it dude. Just looked it up though, doesn't seem like my kind of movie but I'll give it a whirl if I can find a copy.[/COLOR]
    It's not as much of a romantic flick as it probably sounds. It delves deeper into relationships than most movies and does such a good job. Not one if my top 10 but a definite top 20.

Nash sucks dick

you're my home

Status

Yep, that's the one alright. I think I saw it when it first came out and maybe one other time since then. Either way, I'll definitely need to give it a rewatch so I'm downloading it right now.
    Awesome I look forward to it my friend.

Son of Sam

Status

Oh yeah! Speaking of Argento Classics, I thought the movie Opera was brilliant! Sure, it's past his last great film Phenomena, but I think it's definitely worth giving a review.

Grim's Threads

Spoiler:

Intensity
    Integrity
    Intelligence

Status

Not sure if you did it in the other thread or not because I'm on Tapatalk and it's a piece of shit, but have you reviewed The Mist yet? If so, can you link me. If not, I'd love to get your take on it.

"Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me..."

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Graves
    "Stop talking to me. I’m trying to watch Sasha Banks right now."

"I like my women how I like my pizza; Cold."

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I'll get on both of those requests asap. In fact, I've got a little schedule figured out for the reviews already requested. It looks a little something like this....

Opera
    The Hunt
    Wonderland
    Flannel Pajamas
    The Mist

Opera will be up tomorrow, The Hunt on either Saturday or Sunday and the others will all be up early next week.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

World Champion

Status

Could you review one of my all-time favourite movies Sleepers ?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TCON View Post
    Could you review one of my all-time favourite movies Sleepers ?
    Sure thing, I'll add it to the list. It should be up at some point next week.

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

​​​

Mid-Card Champion

Status

The Prestige if you get the chance?

Thread Information