Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silk Reviews Degrassi: TNG - Season Three Begins

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Silk Reviews Degrassi: TNG - Season Three Begins

Degrassi: The Next Generation is a Canadian teen soap opera about a bunch of whiny ass kids doing a bunch of silly shit in high school. It's notorious for being way too preachy, badly acted, and most importantly, TERRIBLY ADDICTIVE.

With my love for the show recently renewed, I have taken it upon myself as the new Entertainment mod to "suffer" through 13+ seasons of Degrassi for your amusement. Therefore, in this thread, I will be offering detailed analysis (spoilers: It won't be detailed) about every episode in the big, big, big, huge, Degrassi catalog.

If you feel like playing along at home, the first 12 seasons of Degrassi are available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video. The rest of this OP will be reserved for a helpful episode guide, which will lead you to your episode of choice in what will surely be the most successful thread in the history of this forum.

Season One **COMPLETE**
    S01E0102 - Mother and Child Reunion
    S01E03 - Family Politics
    S01E04 - Eye of the Beholder
    S01E05 - Parents' Day
    S01E06 - The Mating Game
    S01E07 - Basketball Diaries
    S01E08 - Secrets & Lies
    S01E09 - Coming of Age
    S01E10 - Rumors and Reputation
    S01E11 - Friday Night
    S01E12 - Wannabe
    S01E13 - Cabaret
    S01E14 - Under Pressure
    S01E15 - Jagged Little Pill

Season Two **COMPLETE**
    S02E0102 - When Doves Cry
    S02E03 - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
    S02E04 - Karma Chameleon
    S02E05 - Weird Science
    S02E06 - Drive
    S02E0708 - Shout
    S02E09 - Mirror in the Bathroom
    S02E10 - Take My Breath Away
    S02E11 - Don't Believe The Hype
    S02E1213 - White Wedding
    S02E14 - Careless Whisper
    S02E15 - Hot For Teacher
    S02E16 - Message in a Bottle
    S02E17 - Dressed In Black
    S02E18 - Relax
    S02E19 - Fight For Your Right
    S02E20 - How Soon is Now?
    S02E2122 - Tears Are Not Enough

Season Three
    S03E0102 - Father Figure
    S03E03 - U Got The Look
    Last edited by Panther; 01-26-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017: I guess that makes me less lame

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: Fract Reviews Degrassi: The Next Generation - Whatever It Takes

All you thirsty nerds back the fuck up.

This is cool tho

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Shuyaku

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

To be honest, I heard about this show in High School so maybe with Fract's review of the episodes I might dip my feet into the show.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Booty Nights

Status

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    To be honest, I heard about this show in High School so maybe with Fract's review of the episodes I might dip my feet into the show.
    Score 1 for Duke

Status

Season One - Episodes 1 & 2
    "Mother & Child Reunion" or "Emma Tries To Die After Just One Episode"

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Degrassi High's classes of 1992 and 1993 reunite for their high school reunion. Joey, recently widowed, is unsure if he even wants to go, especially when he discovers his ex-girlfriend Caitlin is bringing her fiancé, Keith to the event. Spike's daughter, Emma prepares for her first year at Degrassi Community School and plans on meeting Jordan, her internet boyfriend, even though her friends warn her of the potential dangers of meeting someone off the internet.
    What Actually Happens: Emma is the daughter of one of those original Degrassi kids, so middle school drama runs in her veins. Right off the gate we learn that she is far too hormonal and far too stupid to be on the internet, because she's falling in love with some kid named Jordan who (SPOILER ALERT) is not a kid. Emma is emailing her new boyfriend back and forth all the time and when her mom asks what's she doing, Emma's all like "LEAVE ME ALONE MOM IT'S MY COMPUTER." Geeze.

At the same time, Emma's super hot mom Spike is prepping for her high school reunion, also known as fan service for everyone who sat through the early seasons of Degrassi. Spike meets up with her cool friends Caitlin Ryan (also super hot), Archie Simpson (not hot, but badass), and Joey Jeremiah (hot and badass), and they mostly just get drunk and reminisce about high school. At one point, Caitlin's fiance reveals himself to be a huge doucher, Joey punches him in the face, and it's the greatest. It's also not the point of this episode.

Emma, in her infinite wisdom, ends up going to a hotel to meet Jordan, and as is expected, gets lured into a locked hotel room with a grown man and his delicious pizza. Emma's pretty much boned at this point, except her tech-saavy new friend Toby "hacked" her email and figured out where "Jordan" was gonna be. Thank god Toby's totally in love with Emma or she might have died in a hotel room in the first episode! Anyways, Toby and Emma's other friends Manny and J.T. end up calling the rescue squad in, Simpson threatens to break the pedophile's neck, and everyone lives happily ever after. Welcome to Degrassi.

So The Drama Rating: It only took one episode to almost kill someone! TEN OUT OF TEN.
    These Kids are Dumb Rating: Emma does really dumb stuff and bitches at her mom too much. Everyone else is pretty smart. 4/10
    Degrassi Life Lesson: Don't talk to strangers on the internet. This is good advice, why are you listening to me right now?

Stay tuned for more of my Degrassi nonsense. Maybe the next one will have pictures, or less text, or just be totally different. We're on a ride here, people.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Emma is my least favorite character. She is such a jackass.

The first episode of TNG was sorta perfect. You saw a lot of the old gang from the original series to appeal to the old fans, while also basing the main plot of the episode on something that had never been explored in the original series - online predators~!

Even though the vast majority of the stories on TNG were featured in the original series, you started off TNG on a good note by showcasing something different. Good for those fine Canadian folks.

But yeah, Emma is a total bonehead in this episode. Jordan is just lucky Sean Cameron wasn't around. He would have deaf'd the guy in one ear.

Sweet Meat

Status

emma is hot tho kayla so shes cool.

not hot yet tho so fuck her

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The first episode of TNG was sorta perfect. You saw a lot of the old gang from the original series to appeal to the old fans, while also basing the main plot of the episode on something that had never been explored in the original series - online predators~!
    It is a really good episode, especially in the second half. Shit is super tense when Emma's in the creeper's room, plus you get Joey being a badass and punching dudes.

Way better than the next episode which basically blows.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalmatic View Post
    It is a really good episode, especially in the second half. Shit is super tense when Emma's in the creeper's room, plus you get Joey being a badass and punching dudes.
    Have you ever watched Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High? The reunion is more fun when you actually know who's who.

Status

My experience with the old show is very limited. I know about most of the big mythology in it, but I find it hard to watch cause it's a bit dated these days.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

The old series feeling dated is part of the charm.

PS. Your gif sigs are far too distracting.

Status

PS. Your gif sigs are far too distracting.
    But like, in the best way, right?

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalmatic View Post
    But like, in the best way, right?
    In the "Hmm, I should double check her age before I say anything about her" kind of way.

Boobage Expert

Status

Re: Fracto Reviews Degrassi: The Next Generation - Whatever It Takes

So glad to see you reviewing!

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

People's Champion

Status

Have you ever watched Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High? The reunion is more fun when you actually know who's who.
    Pretty Much This. I tried to watch TNG and wanted to after the first episode but just couldn't. The originals were awesome and were so ahead of its time back in the 80's. I recently re watched the originals and had a blast. We watched the series finale in school 3 years straight in Moral Education class.

When did the US start playing the originals? I heard the US didn't allow them because of the realistic themes.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Status

Re: Fracto Reviews Degrassi: The Next Generation - Whatever It Takes

Season One – Episode 3
    “Family Politics” or “My New Family Sucks”

On the first day of school, Ashley decides to run for Student Council President. Toby, her stepbrother, is annoyed by her unchallenged status and in order to annoy her, he convinces his best friend J.T. to run against her. Ashley scoffs at first, but when J.T. starts to receive more attention than she thought he would get, she takes drastic measures to ensure her victory. Meanwhile, Emma and Manny deal with Spinner and Jimmy's bullying and teasing.
    What Actually Happens: Ashley is this hot eight grade broad who’s got a hot, familiar looking boyfriend named Jimmy, and she is totally gonna run this school when she wins class president, unopposed. However, her new stepbrother Toby, is being a general asshat because of his new living situation, and decides to get back at Ashley by making his friend J.T. run for president against her. This whole episode is basically dumb nonsense. J.T. doesn’t really want to run, so his platform is “Class clown who will make you laugh” but he’s generating an impossible amount of support anyway because middle schoolers really don’t care who their president is.

Ultimately, Ashley goes so far as to bribe J.T. to quit the race, which he does, and after a heart to heart with Toby, they bond and decide being related is okay. Seriously this episode is really dumb. Also cool guy Spinner picks on Emma and Manny a bit, and we meet Liberty who’s brainy and sucks.

So The Drama Rating: 0/10. The clouds outside my window are more dramatic.
    These Kids are Dumb Rating: Ashley bribes a seventh grader eighty bucks to drop out of a school president race, Toby is a general ass to his new step-sister for no reason, and J.T. is being pretty dumb all episode but at least it’s on purpose. 7/10
    Degrassi Life Lesson: Learn to love your family. Surprisingly Ashley’s bribe does not come back to haunt her, so feel free to bribe your way through life, kids.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Sweet Meat

Status

i dont think it was that bad, but it takes awhile before the show picks up any steam imo

Spoiler:

If you look at the first two episodes of TNG, they're less like eps 1 and 2 and more like a bridge between the original series and the new series. It's not until episode 3 that we actually meet the bulk of the new cast. I only bring this up because the very first episode of Degrassi Jr High was about a student election where one character wasn't taking it seriously and stood a good change at winning. First legit episode of Degrassi TNG? Practically same thing.

There's borrowing stories from the original series and then there's flat out copying in the same order.

Booty Nights

Status

The original was def great but I grew up on it and I live in the US so not sure what Indy fan is talking about.. It's good to see Spike, Snake, & Joey in the new series and see how they have grown up. Emma is such an ugly duckling it's hard to believe she grows into such a fox. The first eps are def good and bring the drama but the next ep holy shit…Toby sucks…but he rules in comparison to the albatross of the show that is Liberty she stinks on ice…Spinner is the man though…and lol at him bullying
    Spoiler:

his future wife

Thread Information