Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premier League, FA Cup and other tings Discussion - Weekend of Saturday 8th March

GMT Baby

Status

Premier League, FA Cup and other tings Discussion - Weekend of Saturday 8th March

Saturday 8th March

Premier League (3pm Kick-off unless stated)

West Brom v Man Utd (12:45pm)
    Cardiff v Fulham
    Crystal Palace v Southampton
    Norwich v Stoke
    Chelsea v Tottenham (5:30pm)

FA Cup Quarter-Finals (12:45pm Kick-off)

Arsenal v Everton

Sunday 9th March

FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Sheffield Utd v Charlton (12 noon)
    Hull City v Sunderland (2:00pm)
    Man City v Wigan (4:05pm)

FFS Calm Doon

Status
      Country                    UK

Re: Premier League, FA Cup and other tings Discussion - Weekend of Saturday 8th March

Decent weekend of TV games.

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Premier League, FA Cup and other tings Discussion - Weekend of Saturday 8th March

This is the part where I say Albion really need a win, and then they go and draw 1-1.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Arsenal 0 - 5 Everton

MADMIN KING

Status

Oh great, I get to miss the best FA Cup tie, good scheduling guys.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Hell of a match here. Both sides are playing great football.

Barkley's assist was tremendous.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    This is the part where I say Albion really need a win, and then they go and draw 1-1.
    You wish.

Good performance from us, just what was required following Olympiakos and going into the Liverpool game next week.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Arsenal 0 - 5 Everton
    Right number of goals, just flipped around a little....
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Say My Name

Status

Cracking win for us today, played really well second half and i actually have a little confidence we could beat Liverpool at Old Trafford next weekend. Van Persie was luck to not be sent off though.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OrderDX View Post
    Cracking win for us today, played really well second half and i actually have a little confidence we could beat Liverpool at Old Trafford next weekend. Van Persie was luck to not be sent off though.
    He was, but you could argue Foster should have gone for denying Van Persie a clear goalscoring opportunity by handling outside the box too.

Glad Van Persie isn't suspended.

MADMIN KING

Status

Two wrongs don't make a right, both players should of been sent off, Van Persie's is a second yellow any day of the week and Foster's got himself into a right pickle and handled it outside the area. Weak refereeing.

I didn't think there was much in that other than clinical finishing for United, I think they deserved the win but 3-0 flatters them. First half especially thing were pretty even, and losing two key players to injury hasn't helped during the match. Anichebe's trying his hardest, but once he does the hard work and rolls his man, there's no-one up with him because we're playing 451 so his options are limited. Once Rooney scored United were very comfortable.

Albion are fucked, no questions about that, the way we just gave up when it went to 2-0 was pathetic. There's not one Albion fan I know who doesn't think we're going down. Mel's under real pressure and I wouldn't be surprised if the board get trigger happy again because the players are mouthing off that they want the caretaker manager back in charge. For me the players need to look at themselves because to a man, they've all under-performed and aren't taking the responsibility themselves.

I am the Outlaw

Status

You're making it sound like it was an even game and we just took our chances. I thought we were pretty dominant throughout.

3-0 maybe did flatter us slightly, but the 2nd and 3rd goals were very well worked.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Ed, what do you think has gone wrong in the last 12 months that's caused all this?

Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

I am the Outlaw

Status

From the outside looking in, sacking Steve Clarke just looks like typical modern day kneejerk bullshit that looks like costing them dear.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Yeah, definitely, but weren't they really bad through the whole of 2013 under Clarke? Just wondering if there's more to it than just sacking Clarke.

Shock Reviews Archive

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Yeah, definitely, but weren't they really bad through the whole of 2013 under Clarke? Just wondering if there's more to it than just sacking Clarke.

But they finished 8th in 2013. Surely he deserved more time to try to arrest the slump this season?

Honestly it seems like you're not even allowed to have a bad run of form nowadays if you manage a mid-table side. The trigger happy owners/chairmen are just so terrified of relegation due to the financial implications that they won't even give a manager a chance to turn it round.

Well no manager is ever going to go through their career without having a rough patch.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It makes sense to sack if you have the right manager lined up. E.g. Palace having Pulis (a manager who has proven that he can keep a poor side in the league), or WBA with Hodgson a few years back. Sacking someone like Clarke for the equally unproven Mel, or Mackay for Solskjaer doesn't make much sense.

Shock Reviews Archive

I am the Outlaw

Status

It makes sense to sack if you have the right manager lined up. E.g. Palace having Pulis (a manager who has proven that he can keep a poor side in the league), or WBA with Hodgson a few years back. Sacking someone like Clarke for the equally unproven Mel, or Mackay for Solskjaer doesn't make much sense.

They didn't even have Mel lined up. It was weeks before they even made an appointment after Clarke was sacked.

They deserve to go down for such shambolic running of a club.

MADMIN KING

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bad News Tommy View Post
    You're making it sound like it was an even game and we just took our chances. I thought we were pretty dominant throughout.

3-0 maybe did flatter us slightly, but the 2nd and 3rd goals were very well worked.
    I thought Albion were right in the game up until you went 2-0 in front, the last 30 minutes I would say you dominated us, but before then I felt it was pretty even, maybe a slight edge to United. You have to appreciate the last few home games we've had at Albion it's been shit for the first 45 minutes, amazing in the second 45 minutes, so it made a change not to be outplayed in the first half.

Think we finished up 14 shots each in the stats, and I don't remember Foster making many more saves than DDG. You only had 5 shots on target and scored 3 goals, clinical seems a decent way to describe it.

We deserved to lose, I'm not hiding away from that, I'm just saying I've seen teams dominate us this season, and I didn't see that today. City in particular battered us for 80 minutes, but because they switched off at the end, the game ended 3-2 so it doesn't seem as bad a result as today was.

Ed, what do you think has gone wrong in the last 12 months that's caused all this?

I think the lazy thing neutral fans do when they look at our struggle this season is think it all comes down to us sacking Clarke, despite forgetting he'd been terrible throughout the whole of 2013. There wasn't much outrage in West Brom over the sacking because we'd all lost confidence in him, pretty much from Christmas 2012 onwards, we regressed badly nothing seemed to be changing the tide.

Other issues that have caused our plight:

- Bye Bye Goals - The last 12 months have seen Lukaku, Odemwingie and Long leave the club and we haven't replaced them with any quality. That's all our fire power. You take the top three strikers out of any premier league team and don't replace them then you'll slump down the table. We've drawn more games than anyone else this season, and if we had that goalscoring touch that those three had, some of those tight games would have been wins other than draws. Fair enough Odemwingie we couldn't help because the dickhead wanted to leave us for the obscene wages at QPR and then he couldn't resolve his issues with us when the deal fell through. But Lukaku we could of had for another season if we paid the loan fee Chelsea wanted because he wanted to come to us NOT Everton and Long would have stayed if we treated him better.

- Replacing Clarke with Mel - Replacing Clarke with an manager who has zero experience in this country was always going to be a risk, and it's just not working out. Nothing has changed about our style of play, and we haven't had the honeymoon period with results either. Reports that the players aren't happy with Mel and want Keith Downing (the caretaker who did well over Xmas) back in charge isn't helping

- Dan Ashworth leaving - Ashworth leaving for the FA was a bigger blow than when Roy Hodgson left 12 months earlier. He was the Sporting Director who was responsible for scouting and signing all the players that have been a huge part of our success in the last 5 years (Foster, Mulumbu, Odemwingie, Lukaku, Yacob, McAuley, Long). I'd say in the 4 years previous to this one, his signings were more hit than miss and he was doing it under a modest budget. His replacement Richard Garlick has been a disaster, leading nicely too.....

- Crap Summer Transfers - We dragged our feet and didn't sign players quick enough, causing us to break our transfer record twice on deadline day out of sheer desperation. Most of them have all been misses

Anelka - He's been a worse signing than Roger Johnson to Wolves for 8 million. He's been a PR disaster, dragged our club through mud, totally uncommitted and won't play for us again. Shame because when he played, he was usually one of our better players
    Popov - Was useless the first season we had him, I don't know why we went for him a second year.
    Lugano - Very slow, about 5 years too late for him to impress in the premier league, and really when you've got Olson and McAuley, you don't want another 30+ centre back as the stand by.
    Scott Sinclair - absolute waster, when he played, he was a shadow of his former self at Swansea, but for the last 4 months he's either got niggly injuries or just isn't picked for selection. He must be shocking in training if he can't get a game in this team.
    Vydra - He's an ok sub, but we never start him. Still looks like a Championship player though
    Sessegnon - Started off ok, but lost confidence around October and was pretty useless until Christmas where he got injured. Only returned today
    Amalfitano - Started off amazing, but he's just about decent now.
    Anichebe - I like him, he's actually fighting for the cause and offers us something different up front as everyone else are just weak, pacy youngsters. Unfortunately, he ain't much of a goal scorer

Only two of those players I see playing for Albion beyond this season, and that's Sess and Anichebe because we spent 6 million on them each and won't sell them unless we get the same money back, which we won't. I think when you've got so many players who are only here for one year, how much do they really care about fighting relegation?

- Cheap January again - Back when the bottom half of the table was extremely tight, most clubs around us used their initiative and bought better players to improve their chances off fighting relegation. Palace and Hull spring to mind as two clubs who've helped themselves out by strengthening in the window. Albion on the other hand decided they'd sell Shane Long to a rival, and replace him with Thievy, another untested striker at this level.

- Shit fullbacks - The one position Albion had to improve on this season was fullbacks, the only one I trust at this level is Billy Jones, and he has his injury issues. Reid, Ridgewell and Popov were not good enough last year, but we rested on our laurels, bought more midfielders that we didn't need, and just ignored the issues in our defence. We've kept very few clean sheets this year.

At this stage, I'm just looking forward to being in the Championship next season with players that want to be at West Brom, because I think at least half of them just aren't trying anymore.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Not saying we battered you, I'm saying that we pretty much seemed in full control throughout. We had a few dodgy moments in defence first half but for the majority of that half it was just constant United pressure, winning plenty of set pieces (one of which resulted in the opener). It wasn't like we were cutting you to shreds or anything, but it wasn't anything like an even game even before the goals went in. I just thought we had a lot of the ball in your half and always seemed to have a measure of control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information