Page 189 of 190 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190 LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 3800

Thread: WWE Network General Discussion Thread

Re: WWE Network General Discussion Thread

Episode three is the most frustrating episode since it had the most potential. There's zero talk of the controversy of working with Saudi Arabia or even the drama with booking Rusev. While they do admit that the Crown Jewel tag match was a dud, they act as if the Hunter/Taker Super Show-Down match was good. This episode's theme seemed to be "How to ruin a good memory". You had a great final match with Triple H, but ruined it with one more, HBK had a perfect final match only to ruin it by bringing him back for a disaster of a tag match, and you had an ideal way to end The Undertaker with the Cena match only to keep bringing him back.

At some point, the tale of The Undertaker just becomes a pretty sad tale. He bitched so much about only getting a few minutes to work with Cena, but it kinda seems like McMahon knew what Taker was capable of doing to protect him there. When Taker has a bad match, he needs a good one to redeem himself so that he can retire. When he has a good match, he still can't retire because he thinks it's 1997 again and he can still keep going which only means a bad match is soon to come. Even now, it seems like such an obvious time for Taker to retire with the creation of this series and all of the praise of the Boneyard match, but what are the chances that Taker is going to recognize this and not get greedy with the belief that he can keep going through cinematic matches?

I did not expect this series to end up feeling depressing, but here we are.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Really? Everything you described seems like the premise of the entire series and why I like this more than your typical company doc, because it's a character study of an athlete who can't quit because of his vicious cycle of pride and dissatisfaction. So they've got a clear, deep and interesting theme to explore - not just a behind-the-scenes of Taker. I felt that's been the aim from the start.

I didn't like this episode either because I and everyone else here have been hammered to death by the Taker/Hunter/HBK "story" and didn't need it recapped yet again, but all along it's felt like this is meant to be accessible to non-wrestling fans who need clued in on the significance. Which again, is why I think it's dumb this is a Network series and not on a different outlet. The Saudi Arabia controversy, I was slightly disappointed it wasn't touched on but I get why they didn't. The Rusev stuff, I barely remember the drama other than it was almost Jericho in his place, but it's irrelevant to the overall story.
    Last edited by Marketh; 05-24-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Shit username since day 1

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I'd agree on this episode being the least interesting so far. The revisionist history on framing the Taker/Trips LAST TIME EVER in Australia as something that was good in any way was pretty laughable, as at least there'd been pretty honest assessments on the other matches since 2014 being anything from disappointing to outright bad. "Go Fuck Yourself" was pretty funny though.

After three episodes, the constant "if that had been as good as I hoped, that MIGHT have been it for me" is starting to wear thin, especially when that holy grail he's looking for is never coming (but I guess that's the point). If this series ends on the Boneyard Match, I'm pretty sure his reaction at this point is going to be; "yeah, that was cool, but I need closure in front of an audience".

Also expecting - despite the preview for next week - the Goldberg match to get the same treatment as the Saudi tag match did in this, and get discussed for a few minutes about how bad it was, and probably focus more on Taker being potentially hurt.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

And yeah, I think they could've cut down the Hunter/HBK retrospective more succinctly, been as honest about the Australia match as they were about Reigns, and brought Goldberg forward. How many episodes are we getting? Feels like we should only need 3x 1hr.

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    Also expecting - despite the preview for next week - the Goldberg match to get the same treatment as the Saudi tag match did in this, and get discussed for a few minutes about how bad it was, and probably focus more on Taker being potentially hurt.
    I would prefer that over what I think they're going to do. They're going to spend 15-20 minutes hammering home how god awful the Goldberg match is, but weren't willing to go that in depth into the D-X vs BOD tag match.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Episode three is the most frustrating episode since it had the most potential. There's zero talk of the controversy of working with Saudi Arabia or even the drama with booking Rusev. While they do admit that the Crown Jewel tag match was a dud, they act as if the Hunter/Taker Super Show-Down match was good. This episode's theme seemed to be "How to ruin a good memory". You had a great final match with Triple H, but ruined it with one more, HBK had a perfect final match only to ruin it by bringing him back for a disaster of a tag match, and you had an ideal way to end The Undertaker with the Cena match only to keep bringing him back.

At some point, the tale of The Undertaker just becomes a pretty sad tale. He bitched so much about only getting a few minutes to work with Cena, but it kinda seems like McMahon knew what Taker was capable of doing to protect him there. When Taker has a bad match, he needs a good one to redeem himself so that he can retire. When he has a good match, he still can't retire because he thinks it's 1997 again and he can still keep going which only means a bad match is soon to come. Even now, it seems like such an obvious time for Taker to retire with the creation of this series and all of the praise of the Boneyard match, but what are the chances that Taker is going to recognize this and not get greedy with the belief that he can keep going through cinematic matches?

It's funny because that's exactly the road I expected it to go down. I also felt after the first episode that I was gonna be annoyed with Undertaker as a person by the time things were done, and that's where things are heading as well.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Haven’t seen episode 3 as of yet but the series thus far has confirmed exactly what I’ve felt about Taker since the HIAC match with Shane. He really did want to retire in texas, but that match being awful sparked the feeling that he wants to go out having an amazing match, until he gets that he won’t retire (unless he’s forced too).

There’s no doubt that He and Cena would have had a good match at Mania 32, even if it wasn’t an amazing wrestling match, the atmosphere around it would have made it feel special. Begs to ask the question, if Cena was fit and the match went ahead, would Taker have retired happily afterwards?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    Haven’t seen episode 3 as of yet but the series thus far has confirmed exactly what I’ve felt about Taker since the HIAC match with Shane. He really did want to retire in texas, but that match being awful sparked the feeling that he wants to go out having an amazing match, until he gets that he won’t retire (unless he’s forced too).

There’s no doubt that He and Cena would have had a good match at Mania 32, even if it wasn’t an amazing wrestling match, the atmosphere around it would have made it feel special. Begs to ask the question, if Cena was fit and the match went ahead, would Taker have retired happily afterwards?
    You could probably go back further than that. If the Brock match at 30 didn't suck he might have called it a day then.

I'm kinda embarrassed for the guy at this point. He keeps talking saying he doesn't want to be a parody when he's been long past that for years.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Tbf, is this really a problem exclusive to Taker, or just how most old wrestlers are. As long as they can be medically cleared, most wrestlers from Flair to lawler to funk to Vader wrestled into ages they probably shouldn’t have but they couldn’t say no if the money was right. Taker can say it’s about wanting to go out on a high, but you can’t tell me making a million dollars for a match isn’t a factor in him deciding to keep wrestling.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Most wrestlers dont know when to call it quits. Largely its only death, injury, or finding a career outside Pro Wrestling that stops theseguys. Most of them keep wrestling well beyond their use by date, and well beyond the point where watching them hobble around the ring has any entertainment value.

Takers a bit of a special case though. Vince throws so much money at him. Can any of us honestly say we'd turn down the millions he's making for doing 1-2 matches a year?

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

He's got younger kids with Michelle hasn't he? So if he hasn't blown his money, that is a good a reason as any to quit whilst you are still pretty mobile for a wrestler.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Currently working my way through all 2007 pay-per-views and wondering what year I should do next or if I should just continue through into 2008?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bananas View Post
    Currently working my way through all 2007 pay-per-views and wondering what year I should do next or if I should just continue through into 2008?
    2008 is a fun year. Starts off strong with some very good shows in Royal Rumble, No Way Out, Wrestlemania and Backlash. Rest of the year is hit or miss but there's enough good on pretty much every show to make them worthwhile.

What I like about 2008 is how much of the stories tend to follow on month to month. You've got Michaels/Batista/Jericho that takes you through most of the year so every show feels like a continuation of the next. Edge and Undertaker carries itself through the year.

Plus by the time you've finished 2007 you've gotten through a lot of big rivalries that get concluded in 2008. For example, you've got Edge and Undertaker which is already underway, Triple H/Orton/Cena, the return of JBL and Chris Jericho, even Matt Hardy vs MVP and Triple H vs Jeff Hardy which continue later in 2008.

Depends what you want though. If you want a more modern year, I like 2016 as a shout. You get some great wrestling, the start of a brand split and a genuine feeling of change through the year. If you want another 00s year, 2005 is an interesting one. Lots of variety between very good stuff and very bad, you get to see how the wrestling world reacts to Cena and Batista at the top of the card.

Older years, 1998 can be a fun watch. Don't expect much in terms of quality wrestling (there's some good stuff, but nowhere near as much as later years), but everything is energetic and the crowds are red hot for just about everything.

If I were you, I'd stick with 2008, particularly if you enjoyed 2007 as a year. I think they're probably about on par with each other in terms of quality, maybe a slight edge to 2008 actually.

Comeback King

Status

I shall eventually get there, I'm rewatching WWECW and then the PPVs as they come up and am in June 2007 now. It has been a wild ride.

Maple Leaf Muscle

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I shall eventually get there, I'm rewatching WWECW and then the PPVs as they come up and am in June 2007 now. It has been a wild ride.
    I actually rewatched WWECW up until September 2007 and then lost interest after seeing the same matches every single week lol

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

Watching episode 4 of the Taker doc and Paul Bearer shows up to remind me of a question I've always had for 90s fans before I started watching: how the fuck did anyone take Taker seriously while this goofy weirdo in makeup is doing that voice?

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Watching episode 4 of the Taker doc and Paul Bearer shows up to remind me of a question I've always had for 90s fans before I started watching: how the fuck did anyone take Taker seriously while this goofy weirdo in makeup is doing that voice?
    it was a different time.....

i was i think 11 when they showed up in WWF. Over thr top gimmicks were the thing back then
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

I think part of what got Taker over was that he was a cool badass. There wasn't anything goofy about Taker himself, which is important when it comes to monsters. Look at some of the other monsters of that time period. Kamala, Giant Gonzales, Akeem, The Berzerker, ect were all kind of goofy to look at. Paul Bearer may have been goofy, but there was a clear separation between the Taker and Bearer characters. You could laugh at how stupidly fun Bearer's character was while still taking Taker seriously. This may have been pre-ECW boom of the mid 90s with tweeners getting over, but Taker being a dark character (Without being goofy, in contrast to say...Dustin Rhodes' Seven) made him appealing for fans wanting something new.

*Edit* Take a shot every time I said 'Goofy'.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    it was a different time.....

i was i think 11 when they showed up in WWF. Over thr top gimmicks were the thing back then
    I think Paul and Taker discussed this nicely on the documentary earlier. At several points during the programme, Taker's seen sitting down backstage with current stars (Seth, Miz etc) walking past and he mentions how it's normal to be seen as "realistic" and "relatable" nowadays and, for him, that's one of the biggest changes in wrestling since the 90s.

For me, I prefer the characters. I'm not keen on the idea that Kevin Owens looks and acts like my nextdoor neighbour.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

This looks like a lot of fun, I love Truth.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Page 189 of 190 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190 LastLast

Thread Information