Page 1 of 122 123 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Status
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    United States

The Ask Jim Thread

Back in July, I killed off one of the longest running threads in WC history. Since then, I've kept to my decision to allow Ask Jim to remain dead. Yet, a couple of things happened. For starters, I was a little bored in this section. Then, there was a certain poster that kept pestering me to bring Ask Jim back. This annoying dude practically never shuts up. So I've ultimately decided to channel my inner Doctor and regenerate Ask Jim in a new, yet just as snarky form.

There are a couple of conditions though:

- I don't want to be asked modern WWE questions. I don't keep up with them properly, haven't for a couple of years, but I still feel like a little bitch for blowing a question off. So unless you see me talking about a recent WWE topic elsewhere (I'll certainly be watching the Royal Rumble match and Wrestlemania though). For the hell of it, let's just use the cut off year of 2009 for the most recent basic WWE talk. If you see me talking about WWE after that point, feel free to ask me about it though.

- Let's limit the amount of DVD assignments. I enjoy doing them, but they take me a long time to research and put together the full list.

- Ask questions that you legitimately want to hear my opinion on. Part of the reason why I killed the last Ask Jim was because I was being asked the most general questions ever and then those posters went out and immediately posted the same question in a different Ask thread. At times, I can type up a pretty length reply to a question, but it's difficult to have the drive to do so if I don't feel as if the OP cares.

Some basic answers:

- How long have I been watching? Roughly 25 years.

- Favorite wrestlers? Ricky Steamboat, Davey Boy Smith and Chris Benoit.

- Favorite overall year? 1989.

- Favorite World Title reigns? Bret Hart (1994), Chris Benoit (2004), Shawn Michaels (1996), Raven (2005), Chris Hero (2008-2009), Samoa Joe (2003-2004) and Vader (1993).

- Current companies you watch? A little NJPW, PWG and even less ROH, TNA and WWE.

- That's not a lot of wrestling, so what do you really watch? A lot of mid 80's to early 90's WWE including SNME, PPV's and house shows. Various older PPV's from WWE, ECW and WCW. TNA 2006 (Slow going). NJPW 2010. Various older PWG.

- Favorite matches? Ricky Steamboat vs Rick Rude (Beach Blast 1992), Davey Boy Smith vs Bret Hart (IYH 5), Samoa Joe vs Kenta Kobashi (Joe vs Kobashi), Super Dragon vs Kevin Steen (Astonishing X-Mas), Chris Benoit vs William Regal (No Mercy 2006), Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles (Turning Point 2005), Misawa vs Kenta Kobashi (4/19/97) and Jerry Lawler vs Kerry Von Erich (Superslash 3)

Ghost In The Shell

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Here's a great opening question for you Jim Jam, do you think Social Media and the Internet in general has taken the spark outta returns or debuts for Wrestlers over the years?

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    HoHo's Excellent Adventure

Let's get the Time Machine and go back in time dudes and dudettes to the classics

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

If it's not the WWF Intercontinental Championship from Morales in 1980 until it was vacated after Warrior beat Hogan in 1990, what mid-card title, or any title for that matter, was booked better over the same length of time?

Ask Fuji|2017 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Movies of 2016~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One
    But even I went too far when I said my character didn't have a penis

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Here's a great opening question for you Jim Jam, do you think Social Media and the Internet in general has taken the spark outta returns or debuts for Wrestlers over the years?
    Not necessarily. It's not really the fault of the social media sites that something is leaked. It's those in the know that decide to add five seconds of interest on themselves and leak something that is the problem. If King Kong Bundy goes on Twitter and announces that he's in town for the Royal Rumble, is it really much of a different than if he told everyone that he knew that he'd be there? The problem has always and will always be that some guys are just marks for feeling special. It's why Sean Stasiak fucked up WCW's involvement at Wrestlemania 17 and why Lex Luger didn't win the WWE World Title at WM 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    If it's not the WWF Intercontinental Championship from Morales in 1980 until it was vacated after Warrior beat Hogan in 1990, what mid-card title, or any title for that matter, was booked better over the same length of time?
    Granted, I haven't followed it nearly as closely as the IC Title of the '80's, but the US Title seems to be a good contender. You had the huge programs of Valentine/Piper, Magnum/Nikita, Tully/Magnum and the end of the decade where Luger used the title to make himself into a top guy.

superkek party

Status

Do you feel that we'll ever seen another Monday Night war? and if so, what could company B do to beat the WWE? If possible.

The Crown Jewel

Status

Do you think the business is overexposed? Would you like to see a sense of kayfabe come alive again?

Check out DGUSA: Reviving the Dragon - Located in the BTB Section!

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Who's the wonderful poster who pushed for this to return? Does he have a gigantic acorn dick.

If ECW hadn't folded, how different would wrestling be today? Vague question, but one I think could be interesting depending on how deep you go with it.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Roray View Post
    Do you feel that we'll ever seen another Monday Night war? and if so, what could company B do to beat the WWE? If possible.
    No. The closest to competition that the WWE has in 2014 is TNA. Meanwhile, the biggest question for TNA in 2014 is if they will even survive. TNA tried, they failed miserably and there isn't another company that is close to being at TNA's level.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeHead3 View Post
    Do you think the business is overexposed? Would you like to see a sense of kayfabe come alive again?
    Yes. The biggest problem has never been that people know it's fake. Fans have known that for decades. The key to the success of wrestling is that they're willing to suspend their disbelief over the course of the show. Nowadays though, the companies flat out admit that they're a form of staged entertainment. It takes away the pure enjoyment one can get out of watching wrestling when they're hit with this reality over and over again. If the companies aren't flat out telling you it's staged, they're doing other things to kill that optional believability. For example, there's far too many turns in wrestling in these modern years. How are you supposed to believe someone is real when their attitudes change so drastically and so frequently?

If you treat your wrestling company like a movie or TV series, your fans will lose themselves in the stories. Look at Breaking Bad. Even if you weren't watching the show, you couldn't go anywhere in 2013 without hearing about that show. It was just at a family Christmas party that the show was brought up and my mother's cousins began enthusiastically talking about the show with my uncle to try and sell him on giving the show a chance. Meanwhile, their son had a dopey smile on his face and was nodding along. These are normal people so sucked into a story that it crosses generations and they can't help but talk about it if given the chance. How is wrestling supposed to have that when they don't allow their viewers to be so immersed in the stories?

Kayfabe is so important and is vital to the success of any company. Look at the WWF in 1998. Did anyone truly believe it was real? No. After all, you had Vince McMahon ending 1997 with his infamous speech that flat out stated that wrestling was scripted. Yet, the WWE built up two characters in Steve Austin and Mr. McMahon so well that the fans were able to believe they were real. Meanwhile, how many truly believable characters are currently in the WWE? Kayfabe doesn't have to be hokey, it can just be a means of allowing a viewer to tune into a 3 hour edition of Raw (God, is it really still 3 hours?) and suspend their disbelief the entire time.

The Crown Jewel

Status

Wow, I love you. That's everything I've been trying to say, just put in a much smarter way.

Check out DGUSA: Reviving the Dragon - Located in the BTB Section!

I Think I'm Cool

Status
      Country                    England

Shouldn't this say Part V - The Caving In Of Jim?

In light of New Japan's recent fan interaction where they voted Tanahashi/Nakamura to be the main event over the IWGP title match, what past ppv's would Jim have loved there to have been a similar vote so he could swap the order of the main event around to improve the show?

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    - Favorite World Title reigns? Bret Hart (1994), Chris Benoit (2004), Shawn Michaels (1996), Raven (2005), Chris Hero (2008-2009), Samoa Joe (2003-2004) and Vader (1993).
    Why this one in particular?
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes View Post
    Who's the wonderful poster who pushed for this to return? Does he have a gigantic acorn dick.
    I can't remember his name, but I do know Hardcore Iceman > him.

If ECW hadn't folded, how different would wrestling be today? Vague question, but one I think could be interesting depending on how deep you go with it.
    As far as mainstream wrestling goes, I doubt it would have made much of a difference. They would still be a company of limited resources, so I doubt they could have instantly taken WCW's place as being the legit #2 company in America by signing the likes of Goldberg, Sting and the other WCW talents that didn't immediately sign with the WWE. Where ECW's survival changes history is with the smaller companies. It's no secret that Ring of Honor was created partially because RF Video was looking for a new company to market and release videos for just as they did for ECW. So assuming that the original ROH gang wouldn't have found some other excuse to form the question, we're looking at an existence without ROH.

Now, how much does that really change things? If you look back at the final days of ECW, they were already beginning to use early ROH stars such as Michael Shane, Loc of the Carnage Crew and Joey Matthews. So it's reasonable to think that those major indy names that benefited from ROH could have instead got on the WWE's radar from their ECW work (IE. CM Punk). Even though ROH wouldn't have happened, I'm not too sure it would have affected any other indy from being created, after all, JAPW, IWA-MS and CZW were already around before ECW folded. Although admittedly, certain ROH stars wouldn't have been chosen to be mega stars by Paul E. That isn't even a knock on any star, past or present, in ROH.

So I really don't believe ECW's survival would have changed history much seeing as their resources wouldn't have changed and they could serve the same role that ROH did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    In light of New Japan's recent fan interaction where they voted Tanahashi/Nakamura to be the main event over the IWGP title match, what past ppv's would Jim have loved there to have been a similar vote so he could swap the order of the main event around to improve the show?
    Just off of the top of my head:

Wrestlemania 18 - Hogan/Rock
    Wrestlemania 27 - Hunter/Taker
    Wrestlemania 24 - Taker/Michaels
    Wrestlemania 8 - Savage/Flair
    Summerslam 95 - Michaels/Razor (Could have really helped in making Michaels look like a star)
    Victory Road '11 - Cancel the entire show since there wasn't a good option to replace Sting/Hardy

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.

Do you mean WM 25 in regards to HBK/Taker?
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

superkek party

Status

Jim, I truly believe they could have had RVD come out to have wrestled Sting after they had announced Hardy was "hurt" or something, as he won a #1 contenders match that same night.. Just what I always thought though.

Favorite/Most creative name changes(Bryan Danielson to Daniel Bryan) or nick names?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Talent View Post
    Why this one in particular?
    What's not to love? Dude finally won the title in a place he should have long ago. Each of his title defenses were positives to the PPV's. The NWA Title scene finally felt fresh with Jarrett being unable to challenge for the title. It's just this small window of time where TNA decided "Eh, we're not on TV, so let's just give the fans what they want" and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Talent View Post
    Do you mean WM 25 in regards to HBK/Taker?
    Yes. I blame the keyboard for having the numbers too close together.

Quote Originally Posted by Roray View Post
    Jim, I truly believe they could have had RVD come out to have wrestled Sting after they had announced Hardy was "hurt" or something, as he won a #1 contenders match that same night.. Just what I always thought though.
    RVD and Kennedy went to a count-out draw. To be honest, there was a million different things they could have done that would have been better than what we got. Go dust Ric Flair off and give the fans a special last time ever meeting between Sting/Flair. After the count-out, have Sting come out and challenge both Kennedy and RVD to a triple threat. Bring AJ Styles back out to challenge Sting. Hell, bring out Kazarian and Beer Money to have a special four-way between the TNA World, X-Division and tag team champions for the World Title. Literally anything would have been better than to have a messed up Hardy go out to the ring to wrestle a 90 second main event match that the fans paid $35 (Maybe still only $30?) to watch. As it the TNA fanbase hadn't had enough reasons not to bother ordering their PPV's before this.

Favorite/Most creative name changes(Bryan Danielson to Daniel Bryan) or nick names?
    I always loved Bam Bam Bigelow's The Beast From the East moniker.

For something very simple, Dean Malenko's The Iceman is great.

The Rabid Wolverine from Chris Benoit was good.

You can't go wrong with The Eight Wonder of the World for Andre the Giant.

Sweet & Sour was really fun for Larry Sweeney.

Seeing as this is Dr. Death day for me, that was a pretty great, yet simple name.

Nothing is really jumping out at me for favorite name changes though. I guess Keiji Mutoh to the Great Muta?

Status

I won't lie, I'm thrilled to see this back. No real questions of value at this point but I will have some in the near future.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I'm not sure if I agree with your ECW thing.

I mean, sure. It definitely wouldn't have been wars. But if ECW stuck around, they'd definitely have been at TNA during fox sports level, and probably with TV. Add in guys under contract and more steady jobs, I think it would've been far more beneficial for the business than what ROH has been for the last 12 years (even if they've picked up dates in recent years)

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Grimes View Post
    I'm not sure if I agree with your ECW thing.

I mean, sure. It definitely wouldn't have been wars. But if ECW stuck around, they'd definitely have been at TNA during fox sports level, and probably with TV. Add in guys under contract and more steady jobs, I think it would've been far more beneficial for the business than what ROH has been for the last 12 years (even if they've picked up dates in recent years)
    The thing is, ECW couldn't find a new TV deal after their TNN deal expired. ECW still had to deal with people's attitudes towards the ECW style and not wanting to be associated with it. They were put into a position where they couldn't grow anymore. Unless they fall into a situation where Paul E adds a new investor or some station randomly decides to take a risk on them, how can things change? Look at TNA. They would have flat out died after just a few months had Panda Energy not swooped in when they did. All during this time period, you're dealing with the decline of the popularity of wrestling.

In my eyes, ECW just had too many things to try and overcome if they truly wanted to become the legit #2 guys.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Again, I'm not claiming they'd be a big #2, just in the same position they've been in (which by default is basically bigger than what TNA was until Spike)

Spoiler:

The Whole Fucking Brand

Status
    In a Hovel, underneath a rock............ in Narnia
      Country                    uk_england=England

Who, if anyone, would you like to see return in the 2014 Royal Rumble match? This includes people who'd stay in the WWE for a long term as well as people just returning for the night.

Thread Information