Page 163 of 163 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 3255

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Imagine you've been put in charge of the WWE and given unlimited financial resources. What would you do to try to make wrestling popular and relevant again?

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Imagine you've been put in charge of the WWE and given unlimited financial resources. What would you do to try to make wrestling popular and relevant again?
    Hire people who knew what was hot in wrestling.

I haven't even watched a full AEW event. I'm the last guy you want to be running today's WWE.

Main Eventer

Status

Hey Jim, whats your top 3 best matches from Tribute to the Troops.

Also what are your thoughts on ROHs take on a sports based company( assuming you ve watched something in the Pure Title Tournament)
    I am the Foundation

https://twitter.com/TheJonGresham

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Hey Jim, whats your top 3 best matches from Tribute to the Troops.
    Are there even any good matches? I know I saw all of 2004, 2005, and probably some of 2006, but that's likely it. They're shows to boost up morale, not create good matches. As a result, I've been skipping them for years.

I seem to remember a fun HBK/HHH match from 2005.

Also what are your thoughts on ROHs take on a sports based company( assuming you ve watched something in the Pure Title Tournament)

I haven't seen it.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Are there even any good matches? I know I saw all of 2004, 2005, and probably some of 2006, but that's likely it. They're shows to boost up morale, not create good matches. As a result, I've been skipping them for years.

I seem to remember a fun HBK/HHH match from 2005.

I haven't seen it.
    Yeah i know those shows arent about good matches. i just wanted to know if any match stuck out as actually a good match in your view. I think there was a good Benoit match but im not 100% sure

And you should check out ROHs new format. Its a breeze to watch at only 45 minutes and theres great interviews.
    I am the Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Yeah i know those shows arent about good matches. i just wanted to know if any match stuck out as actually a good match in your view. I think there was a good Benoit match but im not 100% sure
    Benoit wrestled Eddie Guerrero on the 2003 one. At the time, I didn't have UPN, so I wasn't able to watch it when it originally aired. Then when I began downloading, it seemed a little pointless to watch some old Tribute to the Troops.

And you should check out ROHs new format. Its a breeze to watch at only 45 minutes and theres great interviews.
    There's not enough time in the day for me to watching everything I already want to watch. I could lie and say that I'll try to get around to watching it, but there's just so much more that I'd rather watch when I have the free time.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Benoit wrestled Eddie Guerrero on the 2003 one. At the time, I didn't have UPN, so I wasn't able to watch it when it originally aired. Then when I began downloading, it seemed a little pointless to watch some old Tribute to the Troops.

There's not enough time in the day for me to watching everything I already want to watch. I could lie and say that I'll try to get around to watching it, but there's just so much more that I'd rather watch when I have the free time.
    Damn you Jim!!!Damn you to hell!!!!
    I am the Foundation

Loochy Zbearsko

Status
      Country                    Liechtenstein

What's your three worst Starrcade Main Events (when you put everything into count like the build-up, the general idea of that main event, the match itself and the aftermath of it) and how would you replace them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Living Loocha Legend View Post
    What's your three worst Starrcade Main Events (when you put everything into count like the build-up, the general idea of that main event, the match itself and the aftermath of it) and how would you replace them?
    Well, let's first take a look at my Starrcade PPV main event ratings to get a rough idea of possible contenders:

1987 - Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin - *** ½
    1988 - Ric Flair vs Lex Luger - ****
    1989 - Ric Flair vs Sting - *** ¼
    1990 - Sting vs The Black Scorpion - ** ¼
    1991 - Battlebowl - **
    1992 - Battlebowl - **
    1993 - Ric Flair vs Vader - **** ¼
    1994 - Hulk Hogan vs The Butcher - ¾ *
    1995 - Ric Flair vs Randy Savage - ** ¾
    1996 - Hollywood Hogan vs Roddy Piper - * ¼
    1997 - Hollywood Hogan vs Sting - **
    1998 - Goldberg vs Kevin Nash - * ¼
    1999 - Goldberg vs Bret Hart - ¾ *
    2000 - Scott Steiner vs Sid Vicious - ** ¼

So, going off of just star ratings, my bottom three would be:

1994 - Hulk Hogan vs The Butcher - ¾ * / 1999 - Goldberg vs Bret Hart - ¾ *
    1996 - Hollywood Hogan vs Roddy Piper - * ¼ / 1998 - Goldberg vs Kevin Nash - * ¼

Factoring in the other aspects you wanted me to include in my thought process, notable other awful Starrcade main events include:

1990 - Sting vs The Black Scorpion - ** ¼
    1997 - Hollywood Hogan vs Sting - **

So those are the six matches that I’ll say are in contention. I can’t in good faith include Hogan/Piper in the bottom three when the issue with the match wasn’t actually the quality or the result, but the fact that the WCW Title wasn’t on the line nor was it explicitly clear that it wasn’t a title match. Have Piper win the belt and maybe drop it back at Superbrawl VII and you would have had a feel good moment at the end of Starrcade, even if it came in a poor match. I’m also going to remove Hogan vs The Butcher. The match really sucked, but it wasn’t really offensive. They had the big build-up with the masked man attacking Hogan, the big reveal of Hogan’s best buddy being the culprit, and the right man went over. Personally, I would have preferred Hogan vs Avalanche as the main event instead, but The Butcher made sense in this context. Lastly, I’m going to remove the infamous Hogan vs Sting to completely remove Hogan from the answer. Was the booking of the match flawed? Yes, but the right man went over, it had a huge build-up, and even allowed for booking over the next couple of months. In fact, I find the ring work to be slightly underrated because it’s not the total trainwreck that people make it out to be. WCW made a zillion dollars in 1997 and would continue to make loads of money in 1998. That’s where I feel my three picks differ.

So my picks in chronological order are:

Sting © vs The Black Scorpion - WCW World Title - Starrcade 1990

The first infamous Starrcade main event. Sting’s original title run was doomed from the start as his knee injury suffered at Clash of the Champions 10 delayed the title win by several months. Even worse, in the interim, Ric Flair was removed as head booker and Ole Anderson was inserted into the role instead. Flair seemed to be Sting’s biggest supporter and Ole was...Ole. Sting’s sole program was built around a magician that claimed to be from Sting’s past. It’s all made up to make the viewers believe that the WWE World Champion, The Ultimate Warrior, would be suddenly jumping to WCW. This was an embarrassing program that completely cemented Sting’s title run as being a failure. After months of build-up, the pay off occurred at Starrcade as Sting defeated Scorpion in an okay match and the Scorpion’s mask was removed to reveal...Flair. As Flair had to work the match without giving away who he was, the okay match quality is suddenly below average for a Sting/Flair match. The whole thing is a mess. One month later and Flair just regained the title at a live event at the Meadowlands.

The replacement match has been talked amongst fans for years. It’s the WHT storyline of mid 2004. Triple H discovers his inability to beat Chris Benoit, but Hunter’s lackey, Randy Orton, is able to do so. Hunter then uses his buddies to turn on Orton to steal the title from him. In the 1990 case, it’s Barry Windham getting the rub by being the one capable of beating Sting for the WCW Title at Starrcade. Naturally, that causes problems with Flair. You can either go the full 2004 route with Flair, Anderson, and Sid punishing Windham for not just handing the title over to The Nature Boy with Larry Zbyszko joining the group or you can completely alter things with Flair shockingly being kicked out of the Horsemen, Zbyszko still probably being added, and Windham becoming the new leader. Meanwhile, 1991 becomes the year where poor Flair is either forced to regain his mojo or Jim Herd’s plans of truly depushing Flair down the card succeeds and becomes a midcarder until his WCW exit in mid 1991.

Goldberg © vs Kevin Nash - WCW World Title - Starrcade 1998

The most legendary non-event specific undefeated streak. What makes this match a curious pick is that I don’t mind Nash being the one who received the title shot. Nash was really over at this point. With the poor treatment of Bret, Sting and Randy Savage’s injuries, and Hogan presenting to run for president, who else was there for Goldberg to face? I’ll even go as far as to say I don’t mind Nash being the one who defeated Goldberg to end the streak and win the title. The reasons why this match still ranks in my bottom three is that it’s an awful match, Goldberg’s iconic streak ended because of interference, and the aftermath. The aftermath really seals this pick. After witnessing one of the biggest steals in wrestling history the events that followed was the infamous January 4th Finger Poke of Doom/”Like that’ll put butts into seats”, Nash just handing the WCW Title over to Hogan after feuding for nearly a full year, the nWo Hollywood vs Wolfpac feud just ending, Goldberg never truly getting revenge, and somehow both Nash and Hogan become babyfaces months later. In the end, what did WCW gain from this match? The streak was now done, Goldberg’s overness was hurt, and the aftermath saw big moves that would continue to steer the Monday Night Wars into the direction of the WWE over WCW.

As I said, the problem wasn’t so much Nash being the challenger or even being the winner, so to replace this match, do I just ditch the interference or have Goldberg retain the title? Considering not changing things much would be a boring answer, I’ll force myself to come up with an alternative match. My pick for the main event? Goldberg defending the WCW Title against Ric Flair. For the first time ever, Goldberg and Flair would be in the same ring. Thinking back to that time period, I think it actually makes some sense. Flair missed a good portion of 1998 due to being fired/having issues with Eric Bischoff stemming over Flair missing an event due to watching his son’s amatuer wrestling meet. In this alternative timeline, Bischoff becomes so tired of everyone wanting Flair back, the Horsemen being reunited, and Flair showing up when he’s not even a member of the roster that he’s willing to give Flair one more match. Initially, it seems out of character for Bischoff to reward someone he has this huge issue with, but it’s all about ridding himself of Flair for good and humiliating him in the process. The match can be billed as title vs career with Flair having to retire from wrestling if he can’t do the simple task of ending the biggest streak in all of wrestling. Worse yet, Bischoff wants to forcefully retire Flair at Starrcade, the annual event Flair made famous. You can even add more heat with Bischoff getting into Goldberg’s ear that he’s not just facing Flair at Starrcade, he’s battling The Dirtiest Player in the Game. Considering Goldberg’s title and Flair’s career is on the line, what are the chances Flair is going to insist on the newly reformed Four Horsemen to stay in the back? So now Goldberg is ready to kill Flair because he thinks Flair’s going to try and screw him out of the title and streak while Flair is ready to do anything to beat Goldberg because everything is on the line for him including getting one up on Bischoff. As far as the result goes, you can have Goldberg go over, but then have the feel good moment of Flair revealing at some point in the future that the folks at Turner have finally had enough of Bischoff’s unfair leadership and Flair is the new president of WCW. Flair can remain an on air character and eventually bring him out of retirement here and there for occasional matches.

Bret Hart © vs Goldberg - WCW World Title - Starrcade 1999

One year later and we get an even bigger mess...somehow. The pairing of Bret and Goldberg was actually great. Hart had just returned a couple of months earlier following Owen’s death, won the title in a feel good moment in the Mayhem tournament, and Goldberg was clearly the top guy who wasn’t the World Champion. With both men being babyfaces, it felt like a significant match. It’s also important to remember that Hart was the one who offered Goldberg the title shot as Goldberg had been screwed over by The Outsiders in the build-up to this PPV. There’s ref bumps which leads Roddy Piper to come out to try and Montreal Screw Job the match by just awarding the match to Bret. Piper is so disinterested that he simply handed Bret the title and left with the PPV going off the air in such an underwhelming fashion. That then leads to the next night on Nitro where Bret, being the ultimate babyface, refuses to be champion when Goldberg had so clearly been screwed over the previous night. So Hart forfeits the title. So WCW booked Hart/Goldberg II for the vacant WCW Title later in the night. Of course, there’s a ref bump, but the ref bump occurs when Bret is in firm control. That brings out The Outsiders to attack Goldberg with Bret...joining in. This three-on-one beat down brings out Piper, the guy who screwed Goldberg at Starrcade to...help Goldberg. Then somehow, while Piper is shielding Goldberg with his own body, the referee begins counting to give Bret the victory and to become the new WCW World Champion...without being involved in the cover. This was pure Russo booking with twists onto twists, with none of it making sense. Now, did other segments or episodes of WCW TV explain what was going on better? Perhaps, but it shouldn’t be so complicated to follow a storyline featuring two matches in 24 hours. This is by far the worst main event match in Starrcade history. None of it made any sense, neither match was good, and the clusterfuck booking only made fans less and less interested in WCW’s product.

So, what’s the solution to this headache? Similarly to 1998, the most logical move is to run the same match, but with better booking. Again, that’s a bit boring for the question. If you don’t go with Goldberg vs Bret, I think the most interesting match you could go with was Hart vs Benoit since it’s the one guy you know Bret can produce with at this stage, but they already did that in October and at Mayhem. As this is Russo booking, I think it makes logical sense that the main event would be a gimmick match and be “Over the top”. So my pick for the main event, to try and get attention to the show is the return of the Thundercage (Hell in a cell, which I believe was last seen in Hogan/Savage at Halloween Havoc 1997) with Bret defending the WCW Title against Goldberg, Chris Benoit, Jeff Jarrett, Kevin Nash, and Sid Vicious. Nash’s buddy, Scott Hall, can be there trying to interfere on the outside. Maybe even have Creative Control also try interfering for Jarrett. A big wild match that likely wouldn’t be particularly good, but it could at least make logical sense and would likely be remembered for more than just the kick that ultimately ended Bret’s career. Besides, seeing Benoit and Goldberg mix it up on PPV? That sounds pretty cool to me.

Dr. PushLinceDorado

Status

Top 5 Jeff Hardy matches? If that isn't to much to ask, I just need some recommendations.
    Saus X W/L Record
    2/0/1

Crimson Knights W/L Record
    0/0/0

Currently Writing:
    WWE 2017
    31st Hunger Games

Quote Originally Posted by Ingonious View Post
    Top 5 Jeff Hardy matches? If that isn't to much to ask, I just need some recommendations.

As far as singles matches go, I suppose I'll go with:

vs Rob Van Dam - Invasion 2001
    vs Umaga - Raw Jan 7, 2008
    vs Triple H - No Mercy 2008
    vs CM Punk - Summerslam 2009
    vs Randy Orton - Hell in a Cell 2018

Mid-Card Champion

Status

What are your top 5 favourite moments in WWF/WWE history, bro? Also if you can give your top 5 least favourite as well?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    What are your top 5 favourite moments in WWF/WWE history, bro? Also if you can give your top 5 least favourite as well?
    This.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Give me 2 or 3 complete shows I should watch on the network(that weren't in the best PPV of all-time contest, as I did watch all of those) as well as 3-4 matches, any match will suffice, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Give me 2 or 3 complete shows I should watch on the network(that weren't in the best PPV of all-time contest, as I did watch all of those) as well as 3-4 matches, any match will suffice, please.
    Taking a quick glance at which PPVs had been nominated, but didn't make the final cut to have a rough idea of what to choose from:

- Fully Loaded 2000 - A little surprised that this didn't make the tournament. A mostly really good show during that killer time period where the WWE was somehow producing gems for B PPVs, but dropping the ball on the Big Five.

- Armageddon 2006 - I'm bias since I attended the show live, but I find it to be such an enjoyable show that on paper shouldn't have worked.

- Wrestlemania 3 - I imagine you've seen this, but somehow this PPV, the first historic important feeling PPV in wrestling history, failed to nab a single nomination.

- Clash of the Champions 8 - Clash of the Champions 1 may get all of the love for the best Clash in Clash history, but I think Clash 8 may be stronger. Somehow, it's failed to garner much of any talk despite offering multiple good matches.

- Hardcore Heaven 1996 - Just for variety sake, here's my favorite ECW show of 1996.

- Tito Santana/Ricky Steamboat vs The Dream Team - Maple Leaf Gardens April 21, 1985 - My WWE MOTY

- Jake Roberts vs Ricky Steamboat - Boston Garden August 9, 1986 - A shockingly great workrate match from Roberts

- Tito Santana vs Koko B. Ware - Supertape #4 - It's Koko being a heel for one match, it's oddly interesting to watch

- Lex Luger vs Brian Pillman - Clash of the Champions 9 - Everyone knows of the 5 star classic from Flair/Funk on this show, but Pillman/Luger produced another gem in their '89 series.

- RVD/Sabu vs The Eliminators - Crossing the Line Again - Again, variety sake with this killer spotfest from 1997's ECW

Page 163 of 163 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163

Thread Information