Page 150 of 152 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 LastLast
Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 3023

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    True on Hogan. I remember someone posting (here, maybe somewhere else) about being a long-time WWF fan in New York and their dad going to basically every MSG show going back into the 70s, being a Sammartino fan, and basically loathing Hogan.
    You'd be thinking of Bon and his awesome dad, Bon Classic.

I think Brawl for All should probably get more love than it does, especially with the Women's Revolution.
    Richter is a tough one for the WWE to celebrate when for so many years, they pretended as if she didn't exist. It's similar in some ways to the legacy of Madusa, but even worse because the WWE were the ones to completely fuck over Richter and then ignore everything she did for the company. So how can you go back and claim that Richter is an important figure in the women's revolution when she didn't exist in the WWE's eyes for 25 years?

Think I've talked before about how I basically only got to watch the WWF and Stampede on TV back in the 80s, and would only get to see a bit of NWA stuff here and there. I knew about the top NWA guys from the magazines and being able to rent some video tapes. Papa Papa got a War Games compilation tape somewhere in the later 80s, and man, I watched through that so many times. Koloff was one of the guys who fascinated me as a kid. Growing up in the 80s, the Soiviets were always the BAD GUYS, so having one be a good guy was just.... weird. And he seemed so fucking intense all the time.
    How did you react when Nikolai Volkoff turned face in 1990?

Rick Martel
    As a babyface, he was as generic as can be. Always pumping his fists like they were going out of style. He was good as a worker though. Once he turned heel, he had more personality and his workrate was still high. Then he adapted the model gimmick and suddenly he increased his personality, but his workrate dropped as he just relied on cheap heat. He had a few good matches as the model, but he stopped being a stand out in the ring. I'm really surprised he never won the IC Title as when he split from Tito, that seemed like a good time for him to go after the IC Title, but I suppose Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect got in the way of that. As the model, he did have one of my most underrated matches ever in the blindfold match against Jake Roberts. Although his WCW run was really short, I thought he was a great addition to the company in early 1998.

The Greatest Canadian of All Time Dino Bravo
    I mean, do I really need to say? I think I've made my feelings on Bravo pretty well known by now.

Jim Neidhardt
    According to Linkdin, Neidhardt is a quality employee regardless of where he goes. His hat is pretty cool in his avatar. Ironically, he went to school at Bowling Green State University, which happens to be in my hometown of Toledo, Ohio. I see he's started a new job back in January, so I hope he's enjoying it. Seems like a decent bloke.

Spoiler:

Now if you want to hear my thoughts on Jim Neidhart, he was a reliable hand in tag matches. Good for a power based hot tag time on offense. I think it's safe to say he was more personality than workrate, but as long as he was kept to tag matches, you could hide his weaknesses and just showcase his strengths. The downside is that he was his own worst enemy, fucking up chances left and right. I know Owen's kayfabe claim was that he was kept in the shadows, but I feel Neidhart was the one really in the shadows of the Hart family. Not only was he never able to stand out on his own, but he never scored the big singles matches like the others received.

Don Muraco
    As a heel, he was great. You can see in my most recent MSG review that he could produce some great quality. Props to Muraco that when his star started to fade, he then began the shorts with Mr. Fuji that added some legacy to his career in a time period that otherwise, no one remembers. We literally have a member that has always had the name of one of the Muraco/Fuji skits. That's more of a legacy than anything he did the following year in 1986. What did Muraco do in 1986? Have a shit match at WM? Be involved in the match that saw Dynamite Kid's massive back injury? Once he turned face in 1987, he lost all value to me. Not only was 'The Rock' now an uninteresting character, but his matches stunk up the joint. Still, he had a good career in the early 80s.

Lou Albano
    I feel as if I've seen so little of heel manager, Capt. Lou. As a babyface, he was a bit wacky, but that's about it. Not that he lasted too long as a babyface in his main run and his return in 1994 was pretty unremarkable.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

So Jim how would you have booked Buff Bagwell going into the WWE saying he would of lasted for at least a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    So Jim how would you have booked Buff Bagwell going into the WWE saying he would of lasted for at least a year?
    Do you want to give me a year, preferably something besides just 2001?

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Do you want to give me a year, preferably something besides just 2001?
    Sorry. Ok let’s say he gets brought in right after the invasion angle fizzles out.

Status

You'd be thinking of Bon and his awesome dad, Bon Classic.

Richter is a tough one for the WWE to celebrate when for so many years, they pretended as if she didn't exist. It's similar in some ways to the legacy of Madusa, but even worse because the WWE were the ones to completely fuck over Richter and then ignore everything she did for the company. So how can you go back and claim that Richter is an important figure in the women's revolution when she didn't exist in the WWE's eyes for 25 years?

How did you react when Nikolai Volkoff turned face in 1990?

As a babyface, he was as generic as can be. Always pumping his fists like they were going out of style. He was good as a worker though. Once he turned heel, he had more personality and his workrate was still high. Then he adapted the model gimmick and suddenly he increased his personality, but his workrate dropped as he just relied on cheap heat. He had a few good matches as the model, but he stopped being a stand out in the ring. I'm really surprised he never won the IC Title as when he split from Tito, that seemed like a good time for him to go after the IC Title, but I suppose Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect got in the way of that. As the model, he did have one of my most underrated matches ever in the blindfold match against Jake Roberts. Although his WCW run was really short, I thought he was a great addition to the company in early 1998.

I mean, do I really need to say? I think I've made my feelings on Bravo pretty well known by now.

According to Linkdin, Neidhardt is a quality employee regardless of where he goes. His hat is pretty cool in his avatar. Ironically, he went to school at Bowling Green State University, which happens to be in my hometown of Toledo, Ohio. I see he's started a new job back in January, so I hope he's enjoying it. Seems like a decent bloke.

As a heel, he was great. You can see in my most recent MSG review that he could produce some great quality. Props to Muraco that when his star started to fade, he then began the shorts with Mr. Fuji that added some legacy to his career in a time period that otherwise, no one remembers. We literally have a member that has always had the name of one of the Muraco/Fuji skits. That's more of a legacy than anything he did the following year in 1986. What did Muraco do in 1986? Have a shit match at WM? Be involved in the match that saw Dynamite Kid's massive back injury? Once he turned face in 1987, he lost all value to me. Not only was 'The Rock' now an uninteresting character, but his matches stunk up the joint. Still, he had a good career in the early 80s.

I feel as if I've seen so little of heel manager, Capt. Lou. As a babyface, he was a bit wacky, but that's about it. Not that he lasted too long as a babyface in his main run and his return in 1994 was pretty unremarkable.
    Ah yes, Bon Classic. We need more Bon and definitely more Bon Classic.

I don't actually remember watching the Vokoff face turn from the time. I've seen bits of it in clips and such. Obviously saw him during his face run. The quality of the in-ring in that feud with Slaughter was top level...

Best synopsis of Neidhardt ever. Fun story - in university, I had a long-ass goatee that looked a bit like Neidhardt' famous forked beard. I am bulky and barrel-chested like him. So on a ski trip, a couple of drunkards decided I was OBVIOUSLY the son of Jim the Anvil and bought me drinks all night. So thanks Mr Neidhardt, for helping me make new random friends.

A few more to tackle....

Jim Duggan
    Jimmy Hart
    Greg Valentine
    Herculez Hernandez
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    Sorry. Ok let’s say he gets brought in right after the invasion angle fizzles out.
    So as opposed to debuting in mid 2001, he debuts in late 2001? :/

If you want the honest truth, I wouldn't book him. I wouldn't even sign him. He's already a guy that had I been in charge of WCW, he wouldn't have even been in the company by March 2001. Ultimately, what purpose is there to sign Buff Bagwell? He's a few years removed from his peak popularity, he certainly isn't going to do anything worthwhile in the ring, and despite offering nothing I have to assume that he doesn't exactly come cheap. Why bother wasting money on one Buff Bagwell when for the same amount of money, you could probably snag The Yung Dragons or Three Count? It's not as if you can bring Bagwell in with the claims that he's a former WCW main eventer. It seemed like multiple times in his career, he was set to be a breakout star, but the breaking out never fully happened. You're already bringing in Booker T and DDP, two guys that have legitimate claims to being WCW main eventers, one of which McMahon barely even used. Why bother with someone who probably costs loads, but doesn't have any assets like others? Fuck Bagwell and bringing him in past his prime.

But, what if Bagwell came in at a different time period? Perhaps late 1998 when Bagwell was ready to come back after his broken neck. He doesn't have the stench of hitting his head on the glass ceiling multiple times and despite being on WCW TV for several years, he can still be seen as a young talent. He can debut Breakdown 1998 helping his old buddy, X-Pac, regain the European Title by preventing Mark Henry from interfering D-Lo Brown's title defense against X-Pac. You can play up Bagwell's past with X-Pac in the nWo and how they're very similar in that they both got fired after breaking their necks for WCW. With Triple H out with a knee injury at this point, you can even book Bagwell as an unofficial member of DX.

However, after Survivor Series 1998, Bagwell's true intentions come out as he turns on his buddy and The New Age Outlaws as he reveals that he was brought into the company by Mr. McMahon as a necessary piece in helping McMahon get whatever he wants, similarly to The Boss Man, who returned roughly around Breakdown. Bagwell can be there to cost The Outlaws the tag titles to Ken Shamrock and The Boss Man, a recently returned Triple H a WWE Title shot against Rock on Raw (I believe originally, a debuting Test did this), ect. Bagwell purposely stays away from fucking over X-Pac, implying that perhaps their friendship is real, but Bagwell's attacks on DX has been business. In early 1999, X-Pac is forced to defend his European Title on every show, against virtually everyone just as punishment for being a member of DX, but X-Pac keeps retaining. It builds up to maybe Shane challenging X-Pac at St. Valentine's Day Massacre where in the match, Bagwell interferes and lays X-Pac out with a belt shot, causing the DQ. Although this caused X-Pac to retain the title, it's the first time that Bagwell's attacks on DX has been directed at X-Pac. Shane then books Bagwell vs X-Pac at Wrestlemania 15 for the title and Bagwell is the finally the man who is able to wrestle the title away from X-Pac through some cheating.

In reality, there's a lot of weirdness happening inside of DX around this time with Chyna joining the Corporation at St. Valentine's Day Massacre, Triple H joining at Wrestlemania 15, and Billy Gunn turning heel after Backlash. In this universe though, we're going to have Bagwell be the one causing all of this to happen, luring Chyna away, convincing Triple H that as a member of the Corporation, he can push The Rock out of the way and become the top threat to Austin's dominance, and convincing Billy Gunn that DX has been holding him back for the last six months. Once The Corporation merges with The Ministry of Darkness, there's an inner group inside of The Corporate Ministry consisting of Buff Bagwell, Triple H, Chyna, and Billy Gunn. So at this point, the Bagwell/X-Pac feud can be put on the back burner in order for X-Pac to start teaming with Kane to establish them while Bagwell, a proud Corporate Ministry member, can feud with former Corporation member, Ken Shamrock, over the European Title. So that's your Over the Edge match and perhaps a first round match in the KOTR as well. At KOTR, the two programs come together with Bagwell and Kane meeting in the tournament, perhaps in the semi-finals with a lot of BS happening, but Kane wins by whatever means, but Bagwell injures Kane. That allows Triple H to beat Kane in the finals to become the first ever (billed) 2x King of the Ring. I see a big fight breaking out at the podium with the throne with The Corporate DX celebrating Hunter's win and the original DX of X-Pac, Road Dogg, and Kane fighting them, ruining the party. At Fully Loaded, you can do a big six man tag between them and then at Summerslam, Bagwell and Gunn teams up to challenge X-Pac and Kane for the tag titles.

Fuck it, at Summerslam, the Corporate DX can win it all with the show coming to an end with Hunter as WWE Champion, Bagwell still with the European Title, and now he and Gunn are tag team champions. It can even end similarly to Armageddon 2003 with the champions all celebrating on the stage, except the final 10 seconds of the show cuts to the Titantron showing that the countdown to the new millennium will finally reach zero tomorrow on Raw. The next night on Raw, Chris Jericho can make his debut as a babyface and make it clear that his targets are the Corporate DX. It can be a mash-up of his 1999 debut and his 2007 return where he's here to save us. Everything begins to unravel for the Corporate DX due to egos. Bagwell begins to take credit for everyone's success, which doesn't sit well with Hunter or Billy. Jericho starts doing his entrance in the middle of their matches on Raw, causing distractions and non-title losses. Unforgiven is booked with the WWE Title being defended in a six-way with Hunter and Bagwell both being in it (Along with Rock, Mankind, Kane, and some heel, doesn't matter who). Bagwell can talk up how he's going to become the first ever 3x title holder in the WWE. At Unforgiven is when everything goes belly up for Bagwell. It's looking like he may win the match after delivering a Buff Blockbuster on Kane, but Hunter jumped into the ring and delivered a Pedigree to Bagwell, pinning him in the process as the one and only physical interaction between the two. It's a crushing loss for Bagwell due to his ego. The next night on Raw, he can challenge Rock and Mankind to a tag match, since those are the other two babyfaces that he didn't have the match won against prior to the Triple H blindside. Gunn, finally fed up with Bagwell's ego trip, can walk out on Bagwell during the WWE Tag Titles defense against The Rock 'n' Sock Connection, allowing Bagwell to be pinned and lose the tag titles. Bagwell, now on his own after his buddies left him, starts blaming his sudden downfall of luck on Jericho's debut. Meanwhile, Jericho has yet to wrestle, seemingly only showing up to ruin Corporate DX's matches and to further hype up his eventual debut. Bagwell challenges Jericho to a match at No Mercy where the winner gets the European Title and the loser must leave the company. For Bagwell, his ego trip has caused him to want to get back on the right track by ending Jericho's WWE career before it even got going, thus explaining why he'd agree on such stipulations.

Finally at No Mercy, Bagwell is humiliated by Jericho, perhaps even running the angle where Bagwell is beaten in seconds, demands a rematch, is beaten again, and demands one last rematch. That match lasts longer, but is forced to submit yet again. With that, Jericho is the new European Champion in his debut match and Bagwell's year with the WWE is finished. You can even have a backstage segment where a crying Buff is leaving with his bag and comes across X-Pac with X-Pac humilating him in one final sendoff.

Overall, the story of Bagwell's year is that he was a master manipulator, but a manipulator that ultimately played himself and that cost him everything. Most of that year would be building up to Bagwell's humiliation at the very end. Bagwell still would have accomplished a lot in the WWE and with Vince Russo booking WCW, he'd be able to return to WCW in an instant push.

Ah yes, Bon Classic. We need more Bon and definitely more Bon Classic.
    Bon Classic was the best.

I don't actually remember watching the Vokoff face turn from the time. I've seen bits of it in clips and such. Obviously saw him during his face run. The quality of the in-ring in that feud with Slaughter was top level...
    It was a pretty weird turn and ultimately felt forced. I don't know, it started off as just Zhukov/Volkoff splitting up due to losing a match, but then somehow turned to Volkoff becoming pro-American, and eventually hooking up with Jim Duggan with Volkoff even calling Duggan his idol.

Best synopsis of Neidhardt ever. Fun story - in university, I had a long-ass goatee that looked a bit like Neidhardt' famous forked beard. I am bulky and barrel-chested like him. So on a ski trip, a couple of drunkards decided I was OBVIOUSLY the son of Jim the Anvil and bought me drinks all night. So thanks Mr Neidhardt, for helping me make new random friends.

Neidhart, Big Papa, Neidhart.

Jim Duggan
    I'm mostly familiar with his WWE and WCW runs, so Duggan was never good in the ring. Occasionally, he had some good matches, sometimes against the most unlikely of opponents like Andre the Giant (Lumberjack match) and The Giant (Nitro). Actually, now that I think about it, one of my other favorite Duggan matches was a lumberjack match against HBK. So I guess Duggan was great in lumberjack matches? Great personality though. He's someone who appeals more to kids, but then when you go back and re-watch his work as an adult, there's little value.

Jimmy Hart
    As a heel, he was one of the best managers. Sometimes the finishes, especially with The Nasty Boys, could be far too repetitive, but it was easy to hate Hart. As a babyface, he never clicked for me, both as a kid and an adult. I think it's because as a character, he's so naturally unlikable that to have him be a face, he's trying to swim against the current.

Greg Valentine
    I've always been a big Valentine fan. Between the shin guard and Gorilla Monsoon's claims that Valentine needed like...an hour to get warmed up, he was always memorable to me as a kid. Looking back at his work as an adult, up until 1988, Valentine was pretty darn good. Much like Jimmy Hart, Valentine as a face never clicked and was the clearest sign that his time was up in the WWE.

Herculez Hernandez
    Hercules' babyface turn is something that stands out to me. It seemed like he was on the cusp of a big push, even feeling like he was the unofficial third member of the Mega Powers for a second, but then they quickly gave up on his push. As a result, his year and a half as a babyface in the WWE was a total waste to the point that he was desperately in need of a change when Power & Glory was put together. Surprise, surprise, Power and Glory seemed like they were set for a big push, but thanks to some incoming teams like The Nasty Boys, their push just never happened and less than a year of being together, they were geeks again. His peak is around 1986-1988 though when he could have challenged Hogan for the WWE Title on any SNME or B house show. As a worker, he was okay, although he was saddled with having to work the awful Billy Jerk Haynes far too often. Even though I've never seen any of their matches, his NJPW team with Scott Norton is one of my favorite gaijin teams of all time solely because who was in it and because they were called the Jurassic Powers. Such a bad ass name.

HOSS MOD

Status

I'm just still floored by the fact that Bowling Green State University is in Toledo instead of...you know...Bowling Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    I'm just still floored by the fact that Bowling Green State University is in Toledo instead of...you know...Bowling Green.
    I mean, it is technically in Bowling Green, Ohio, but Bowling Green and Toledo are right next to each other and Bowling Green is just one of the towns that gets thrown into being casually referred to as being in Toledo.

HOSS MOD

Status

I mean, it is technically in Bowling Green, Ohio, but Bowling Green and Toledo are right next to each other and Bowling Green is just one of the towns that gets thrown into being casually referred to as being in Toledo.
    Must be a Toledo thing, because I never once considered Bowling Green and Toledo as being a part of one another. I dunno.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I once stopped in Bowling Green to buy gas. It was the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Clint Eastwood Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Truth View Post
    Must be a Toledo thing, because I never once considered Bowling Green and Toledo as being a part of one another. I dunno.
    Am I misremembering or do you live somewhere in Ohio?

Tbh, perhaps people in Bowling Green wouldn't agree with me about this stance. All of the little neighboring towns around Toledo is just part of the Toledo area. I have a friend that lives in Temperance, Michigan, but unless he's actually giving out his address, he just says he's from Toledo. I went to a private school my senior year of high school and there were students from all over the Toledo area, whether they technically lived in Toledo or not. Back then, especially, there were two local universities. Most graduates either went to the University of Toledo or Bowling Green State University.

Toledo, Bowling Green, Sylvania, Temperance Michigan, ect, are all basically the same place to me. I'm sure people from other bigger cities around the country feel the same about the neighboring towns.

HOSS MOD

Status

I live in Ohio. I grew up in a small little rural community about an hour southwest of Bowling Green, so likely it's just due to the fact that BG was a fairly large town and Toledo proper was about 15-20 minutes away.

It's one of those things that, if I were ever going to Bowling Green, I'd just say I was going to Bowling Green and not Toledo. I get that BG is part of the Greater Toledo Metro area, but it just never linked that way in my brain growing up and even now as an adult I don't really attach the two together.

It's kinda the same way that Tipp City or Troy are technically part of the Greater Dayton Metro Area, but I never really consider them Dayton.
    Last edited by Cyrus Truth; 06-21-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Status

Oh, it looks like its an OHIO fight!

Bon Classic made me consider trying to get Papa Papa to sign up as he's a long time wrestling fan, too. But BC set the bar awfully high. I wasn't sure anyone did - or does - need to read Papa Papa's hottest of hot takes on how The Boogeyman is the greatest wrestling in WWE history and wry observations on the workrate of Archie "The Mongolian Stomper" Gould in Stampede in the late 70s.

Anvil was MY (fake) dad, Jim, so I'll spell our name however I want.

I know you've repeatedly said you have mostly seen the work of these guys in the WWF.... but have you seen much of Valentine outside the WWF? That's one I always mean to dive into and just never have.... At least, not yet.

Herculez Hernandez was incredible to see as a kid back in the day. The name, the physique, the sleeper hold, the chain....

So.... have you watched the Crockett Cup 1986 yet and when are we getting a review of it?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Bon Classic made me consider trying to get Papa Papa to sign up as he's a long time wrestling fan, too. But BC set the bar awfully high. I wasn't sure anyone did - or does - need to read Papa Papa's hottest of hot takes on how The Boogeyman is the greatest wrestling in WWE history and wry observations on the workrate of Archie "The Mongolian Stomper" Gould in Stampede in the late 70s.
    Honestly, just one general thread where he shares random memories would be good enough. I seem to recall plenty of members enjoyed reading Bon Classic's thoughts.

Anvil was MY (fake) dad, Jim, so I'll spell our name however I want.
    Oh yeah? Well I once thought I saw Jim Neidhart wearing a Steve Austin shirt at Cedar Point when I was a kid!

I know you've repeatedly said you have mostly seen the work of these guys in the WWF.... but have you seen much of Valentine outside the WWF? That's one I always mean to dive into and just never have.... At least, not yet.
    Most of my non-WWE Valentine work I've seen is just what he did as a JTTS in WCW during the Monday Night Wars. Obviously, I've seen a few of his stand out matches like the Piper dog collar match. Looks like there's some stuff on Youtube featuring early Valentine, but there doesn't look like there's a ton.

Herculez Hernandez was incredible to see as a kid back in the day. The name, the physique, the sleeper hold, the chain....
    Reminds me that with Crockett Cup 1986 now being on the WWE Network, I think the next show I'd like to see added is Boogie Jam 1984. I know that the WWE has the show since they released the Steamboat/Flair NWA Title match on Steamboat's DVD a decade ago. That was a show where the main event was a hair vs mask match with Jimmy Valiant vs The Masked Assassin #2 where Valiant won and the Assassin was unmasked to be Hercules. That ended up being more or less the end of Hercules in JCP with him going to Mid-South, World Class, and Florida briefly before coming to the WWE. Besides Flair vs Steamboat and Herc vs Valiant, Boogie Jam 84 also has Valentine vs Dick Slater in a cage fighting over the US Title.

So.... have you watched the Crockett Cup 1986 yet and when are we getting a review of it?
    I've currently watched about half of the show so far. For those tired of WWE having so little action in favor of so much damn talking, the Crockett Cup is basically wall to wall wrestling. It'll be my next posted review though, whether that means it'll be posted tonight or tomorrow.

I know there's a lot going on in wrestling in 2019, but what stands out the most about the year in wrestling to me is all of these insane additions to the hidden gems section of the WWE Network. Tom Magee, Mid South Wrestlefest 85, Crockett Cup 86, Santana/Shango, ect all being added in a year are legitimately amazing things to now just have readily available. While the WWE has been busy adding the likes of Razor/HBK WM 10 to a billion DVDs and random additions to the WWE Network, they've been sitting on an insane amount of super rare stuff that we're just now starting to see. It's an amazing time to be a wrestling fan, whether you like the current product or not. Fifteen years ago, I was thrilled that I found a full WWE house show. Now things like that aren't even notable anymore and instead you need these incredible videos that people thought were lost forever to get that sort of talk. It's fantastic.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Thanks for humoring me with Buff. I’ve always had a soft spot for the guy and think he was a better in ring guy then he gets remembered as. The idea of Buff in DX is definitely an interesting one. Him being a corporate stooge makes way more sense though. Thanks buddy.

Hail To The King

Status

jim I got one for you.

At any time would you think Val Venis could of had main event push or was he destined to be midcard.

I would say at one point Val was pretty over with fans could wrestle. I mean i love to hear your thoughts

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    jim I got one for you.

At any time would you think Val Venis could of had main event push or was he destined to be midcard.

I would say at one point Val was pretty over with fans could wrestle. I mean i love to hear your thoughts
    The problem with a potential Venis push is that when would you do it? I'd argue his peak years were 1998-2000. During those years you had Austin, Rock, Taker, Foley, Triple H, Kane, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, The Big Show, Chris Benoit, ect. Are you really going to attempt to run a PPV main event with Val Venis in a top spot instead of one of your draws? I think there's also a problem in that Venis' most over character was a porn star. That's not exactly a main event level gimmick. Can you imagine a deadman Undertaker cutting a promo about a porn star's soul or Steve Austin performing some big stunt to get the best of a porn star in a humiliating fashion? They tried giving him a more serious gimmick in 2000, but he was incredibly bland without being a porn star and the fans didn't care.

As an Attitude Era character, Val Venis was a great midcarder. Not everyone can be a main eventer and as long as you find a role for yourself, like Venis did, you're a success.

Status

I have Papa Papa on Twitter but I don't know about getting him set up on a forum. I will endeavor lol

Diving into the old-old stuff on the Network has me watching way more content than I have over the past 5-6 months combined. The MSW was enjoyable, the 84-86 WWF stuff is very nostalgic, and I'm about a third of the way through the Crockett Cup show. Was hoping to finish it off over the weekend but some other shows grabbed me. For something that I've read about so many times, its really cool to finally see the show itself.

Look forward to the review when you post it

A few other random thought requests....

Arn Anderson
    Peak Dusty Rhodes
    Magnum TA
    Rock n Roll Express
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

I'm about a third of the way through the Crockett Cup show. Was hoping to finish it off over the weekend but some other shows grabbed me. For something that I've read about so many times, its really cool to finally see the show itself.

Look forward to the review when you post it
    At the time of this post, my review of Crockett Cup 86 had been posted in this section for about 2 1/2 days.

Arn Anderson
    To this day, I'm still not entirely sure why, but I was a big fan of Anderson as a kid. Since Valentine may have been a face at this point, Anderson could have very possibly be the first heel I was a fan of. He tends to hold up really well when re-watching his work as a heel. 1994 was likely his last good year, but considering the first half of 1995 was one of the worst time periods in WCW history and he dealt with a lot of BS booking in 1996, it's not such a slight to say that his final couple of years weren't good. Although he was good as a singles wrestler, he delivered the best as a member of a tag team, whether it was with Ole, Tully, or Flair. Maybe the best example of one of the best wrestlers to have never held a World Title, but never was there a time when it felt like he was needing to be pushed into that position. He thrived by being in a tag team and a midcard wrestler.

Peak Dusty Rhodes
    When exactly was peak Dusty? When you get around to reading my Crockett Cup 86 review, you'll see a bit of a rant hating on Dusty as a worker and his booking in title matches. Unless it's a tag match, I tend not to be excited to see a Dusty in JCP match. His WWE run was okay. Not exactly delivering good matches, but luckily McMahon never put him into title matches. The hate on the polka dots gets so overblown to the point that I don't get why people still stress what a rib it was on Dusty. Obviously a great talker and tons of personality. Behind the scenes, he seemed to be best when he didn't have a single horse in the race, whether that meant him or his then-untalented son in 1991.

Magnum TA
    I haven't seen a ton of since the accident was before the PPV/Clash era of JCP and creation of WCW, but from what I've seen, he could be pretty good. Seemed to be dependent on working with a talented worker to produce a good match, but considering he had a five star match against Tully and a 4+ star match against Nikita, he could produce some great stuff when against the right opponent. The whole "What if" situation with Magnum's career without the accident to me gets over estimated. Could he have been NWA Champion? Sure, but what are the chances he would have remained on top? Slim.

Rock n Roll Express
    At their peak, they were one of the better teams ever. Hell, the whole face-in-peril sequence is also called playing Ricky Morton due to how well they pulled off that style with Morton as the face-in-peril. I do wonder how far Morton could have went had RnR took time away from each other for a few years. Seemed a good deal like Scott Steiner in the early 90s where maybe Ricky's partner was holding him back a bit, but together, they were still a big attraction. Due to the fact that they were together for so many decades, there were plenty of poor years such as 1998.

Status

Well, you cannot blame me for overlooking it when you title the thread with something so obscure and not obviously connected. C'mon, Jim....

Always had a soft spot for Arn. Probably moreso than Tully. Weird combo of coming across as a tough, hard-working every-man yet who could still pull of the 4 Horsemen elitism.

Mentioned it in the Crockett Cup thread that I had to dig so deeply to find, but I didn't realize you didn't love Dusty. He's another soft-spot guy, and not just because he gave my friend one of DiBiase's $50 bills as a kid. His booking is always a bit wonky but I do tend to enjoy him in the ring... generally. And by peak, I was generally meaning early to mid 1980s. Always thought his stuff with Flair and Race was among his better singles work. Still want to try to see the stuff he did with Superstar in the late 70s in the WWWF.

The fun what-if about Magnum is whether he could have been a lead babyface for JCP as they pushed for national, went bankrupt, got bought out, and become WCW? What would that have meant for Luger and Sting?

I think it was Jericho's book where he had some stories about the RnR Express being, essentially, sleezy dirtbags. Wherever I read about that, it always in the back of my mind a bit, but I always find them fun to watch.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 150 of 152 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 LastLast

Thread Information