Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 2,741 to 2,751 of 2751

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Status

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

I know its a BTB and I can do whatever I feels like.... but I get stuck in the trap of wanting things to feel relatively realistic to me. If they don't, I lose interest. Even if the reader might not care if I hand-wave some real issue and basically say "that never happened here", because its my little fantasy world.... I need Papa to keep buying in.

gotta do some more watching of the 1987 and 1988 stuff to see if I can get into it enough.

Heel Champion

Status

I know you hate WCW post 95 and all the questions, but after seeing this hilarious Nash shitting on the product on Thunder video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjzvx...ature=youtu.be I was wondering how was Nash compared to Russo, Sullivan, etc as a booker?

Moreover, how did he get away with this live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I know you hate WCW post 95 and all the questions, but after seeing this hilarious Nash shitting on the product on Thunder video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjzvx...ature=youtu.be I was wondering how was Nash compared to Russo, Sullivan, etc as a booker?

It's WCW. This sort of shit happened a ton in the final few years. Hell, half the time Big Poppa Pump had a mic around this time period, he was going to cut similar promos that had no right ever making television. At some point in WCW history, any order was completely gone and the talent could do whatever they wanted even though it absolutely wouldn't have flown on WCW TV during previous years.

Sullivan was at least a normal booker. Sure, you could argue he wasn't a good booker, but there was generally a decent amount of structure when he was in charge. Russo was a booker who had ADD and did a billion things each episode with the intention of never letting the viewer take a breath. Nash wasn't a booker and it showed. Although, unless I'm mistaken, I believe the video is incorrect about Nash's final time as head booker being mid October just before Russo officially started. It's to my knowledge that there was a short lived booking committee (Including Sullivan and Kevin Sullivan) between Nash's time as head booker and
    the arrival of Russo.

Jim's Favorite Threads
    Fright Fest Archives | Ask Jim |
    Horror Movie Discussion | Jim's Reviews Archive

Coming next month - TEN

"Above Average"

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd like to point out that this episode of Thunder is one of my all time favorite episodes of any television that WCW ever put out. This was the predecessor to the Main Event Mafia episode of Impact where Nash and Booker did commentary and Steiner was the ring announcer.

OLD GLORY ELBOW DROP!!!!

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status
      Country                    Canada

Hey! I've always been a big WWF/E guy. But by the time I got into wrestling everything else was on the way out so I never got a chance to see any of it aside from clips years later on youtube.

Recently I got the WWE Network, and have been making my way through all the classic WWF PPVs and was curious about some of the classic WCW PPVs that made everyone fall in love with the company.

I haven't seen any of them. None of the classic Flair, Sting, Vader stuff( in full anyway, again, seen stuff on youtube). Is there any WCW PPVs in particular I should watch, or a certain overall year I should check out?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ranthellacious; 08-01-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranthellacious View Post
    Hey! I've always been a big WWF/E guy. But by the time I got into wrestling everything else was on the way out so I never got a chance to see any of it aside from clips years later on youtube.

Recently I got the WWE Network, and have been making my way through all the classic WWF PPVs and was curious about some of the classic WCW PPVs that made everyone fall in love with the company.

I haven't seen any of them. None of the classic Flair, Sting, Vader stuff( in full anyway, again, seen stuff on youtube). Is there any WCW PPVs in particular I should watch, or a certain overall year I should check out?

Thanks.
    As it should always be noted when I talk WCW, I'm not a fan of their most popular time period of the nWo years. I'm still going to try and give you some honest answers from that time period, but just keep in mind that someone who loved that time period may give an entirely different opinion.

Right away, I think if you're going to watch any WCW, 1988 is a great starting point. Behind the scenes, it was a chaotic mess with money management being so poor that despite the fact that they were still drawing well, the company was losing money and desperately in need of selling to Ted Turner. The big shows of 1988 were quite good though. Okay, granted, you should just skip the first PPV of 1988, Bunkhouse Stampede. It was an attempt by Dusty Rhodes to have more of a themed PPV and it didn't work. Starting at Clash of the Champions 1, you have one of the best free TV shows ever with Sting/Flair, Fantastics/MX, and Brainbusters/Twin Towers (Luger/Windham). The fact that you could watch this show for free the same night that some paid money to see the awful WM 4 is outrageous. The next big show of Clash of the Champions 2 wasn't as good, but it did see Windham and The Fantastics delivering again. Great American Bash 1988 is the third and final PPV produced by JCP, but it's their best. There are a couple of weak matches, but The Brainbusters/Sting & Nikita, MX/Fantastics, and Flair/Luger were all great. Clash of the Champions 3 is the weakest Clash of the year, but The Sheepherders produce another shockingly good match on Clash and Windham delivers for the third straight Clash, this time against Sting. Clash of the Champions 4 is a really lowkey event that tends to go forgotten due to taking place so soon before Starrcade. The Fanastics proved that they can have another great match, this time against the super random team of Eddie Gilbert/Ron Simmons while Windham wraps up the Clash year going 4 for 4 in good matches, this time teaming with Flair against The Midnight Express. Finally, 1988 finished with one of the better PPVs WCW ever produced (And also their first). No surprise, Flair/Luger 2 was great. Dusty Rhodes, one of the weak links of 1988, was dragged to a good match. The match isn't special, but it's a huge moment with Rick Steiner winning the TV Title. MX/MX was really good. You even had Barry Windham carrying Bam Bam Bigelow to a fairly good match. 1988 is an awesome year to watch, particularly in comparison to WWE's struggle that year.

Due to changes behind the scenes, 1989 is such a weird year. The first half wasn't a good time period for the company despite the fact that you had the Flair/Steamboat trilogy tearing it up. You could just tell that different people were booking and they weren't utilizing their talents as well as they could. It also didn't help matters that WCW had lost a lot of talent from 1988. The second half of 1989 is when things got drastically better. Again, some changes behind the scenes with Ric Flair now basically booking the company. Starting at Great American Bash 1989 (Known as one of the best PPVs ever) they were back to delivering great shows. Don't sleep on Clash of the Champions 8, a show I feel is pretty underrated and has a killer final two matches. Halloween Havoc was pretty good, even if the main event of Flair/Sting vs Funk/Muta isn't something I dug. Clash of the Champions 9 is also really good, which features my favorite WCW match ever in Flair/Funk. Skip over Starrcade 1989 though. Much like Bunkhouse Stampede, they tried to create a theme PPV and it failed hard.

1990 was a difficult year, kicking off with Sting's knee injury at Clash of the Champions 10. Wrestle War '90 is the best show of the year and felt more like 1989 than 1990. Sadly, due to all of the chaos with Sting's injury, Flair was pulled as booker. With things continuing to be utter madness behind the scenes, it's more of a year where you watch select matches than full shows. 1990 WCW had plenty to offer, but there's a ton you should skip too.

1991 made 1990 look calm. Dusty was back from his time in the WWE and since he wasn't going to book himself to the top, he was going to overpush Dustin. If you're going to watch any show from 1991, I'd say maybe Clash of the Champions 17. It's the final Clash of the year and although things haven't improved a ton, people are returning/arriving that would end up drastically improving the company. Dustin/Steamboat vs The Enforcers is one of the best tag matches in WCW history. Luger's underwhelming WCW World Title reign had what I consider his best match against Rick Steiner.

1992 is the year that God himself, Kip Frey arrived to bring salvation to the land~! Frey is a guy who came in as the new head of WCW despite not knowing shit about wrestling. BUT...he knew that if you wanted your talent to put in effort, incentivize them by offering bonuses to the best matches. The result? The first five months of 1992 is one of my favorite time periods ever for big shows. Clash of the Champions 18, Superbrawl II, Wrestlewar, and Beach Blast are all well worth your time to watch. If I went over everything good in that time period, this year would be longer than my 1988 recap. Sadly, even though Frey drastically improved the product, he was spending loads of money, so he was axed and Bill Watts was brought in to save Turner some cash. For the second half of 1992, starting with Clash of the Champions 19, the quality of the shows dropped a little more and more with each show. I wouldn't say it ever got truly bad, but the second half of 1992 is more about picking and choosing what you watch rather than the full shows.

Shit continues to be madness behind the scenes in early 1993 with Watts canned and Eric Bischoff, a guy who wasn't even the main announcer, was given his initial power. 1993 is a tough year to watch because WCW had the talent, but fuck, they did not put their talent against their talent. But if there's one golden egg of 1993, it's Superbrawl III. It's one of the best PPVs in WCW history and destroys anything the WWE put on that year. Clash of the Champions 23 is a really strong show though and one that benefited from only having five matches. The first two matches aren't anything special, but Windham/Scorpio, the six man tag, and Horsemen/Blonds made this show a rare strong 1993 event. The rest of the year is just picking and choosing what you want to watch for individual matches.

1994 is such a heartbreaking year. Although things were just okay at the start of the year, you could tell things were improving after a disappointing 1993. Things were clicking and hell literally froze over with Mick f'n Foley carrying The Nasty Boys to multiple really good to great matches in a row. Seriously, THE NASTY BOYS! Their match at Slamboree 1994 is five stars in my eyes and the best tag match in WCW history. And to think, the arrival of The Nasty Boys was one of the reasons why the second half of 1993 was so rough for the company. Watch Spring Stampede and Slamboree. If you really liked those shows, you can then go back to watch the other first half of 1994 events. The arrival of Hulk Hogan was a dark day for quality and the company lost all of the momentum they had built up in the first half of 1994. Say goodbye to good WCW with Fall Brawl '94, the Hogan-less PPV that allows you to get one last glimpse of what could have been in 1994.

If the arrival of Hulk Hogan was depressing enough, the second half of 1994 was GREAT compared to what had happened in the first half of 1995. So much pure shit in the first half of the year. Once Nitro began in the fall, the PPVs were re-modeled to be a themed one each time. If you only watch one 1995 WCW PPV, make it Starrcade. The usage of the NJPW talent allowed this show to feel different from the other WCW PPVs and for that year, it's really enjoyable.

I've seen many people try and claim that Great American Bash/Bash at the Beach 1996 as being one of the best consecutive PPVs you could ever watch, but that's utter BS. I get that Bash at the Beach concluded with one of the biggest moments in the history of wrestling, but most of the show is really terrible. Now, Great American Bash 1996 is actually good good, especially for 1996 standards. If WCW during the nWo era was putting on this sort of quality like they did at GAB, I would have been far more into them. Minus the awful main event, Halloween Havoc is pretty good too. Feel free to watch Rey Mysterio Jr's matches though.

1997 is more of the same. It's the final year of Clash of the Champions and thanks to the introduction of Nitro and the increase amount of PPVs, Clash hadn't felt special in a few years. The first PPV of the year, Souled Out, is almost a show so bad that you have to watch it to witness the insanity of it. By 1997, the company had settled into being a company that now has completely given up on having good matches in the main event. At one point, WCW was extremely consistent at having great main events. Now, you were lucky if a main event was even average. Great American Bash ended up being a good show by the end, thanks in a huge part due to Savage/DDP delivering a good main event. I'm pretty partial to Fall Brawl due to it being the show that made me become a massive Benoit fan. Halloween Havoc is the biggest show of the year, so go ahead and watch that.

The fact that WCW had been reduced to being known as a company with disappointing main events meant that when DDP/Goldberg produced a GREAT main event for Halloween Havoc 1998, it stood out all the more. Of course, this is WCW we're talking about, so other than the opener of Raven/Jericho, the rest of the show is the drizzling shits. The best PPV of the year is likely either Souled Out or Great American Bash. Are either shows must watch? Nah. Spend 1998 picking out select matches to watch instead.

1999 is known for producing a good PPV in Spring Stampede. It's not a great show, but it kicked off with one of the strongest PPV openers ever, at that point, with Juvi/Blitzkrieg, featured a WCW MOTYC with the WCW Tag Titles match, and the main event was a very solid 3 star match. For WCW, what more could you want? Due to WCW finding success over the last few years, the backstage chaos had been fairly quiet, but by 1999 is was going crazy again. A lot of changes in the booking staff and the company really feeling different at points. Benoit tried his absolute best in the year though.

If there's one thing that 2000 proved, it's that regardless of how chaotic WCW was in past years, it would be nothing compared to the insanity of 2000. If you're a fan of Wrestlecrap, it's an amazing show with nearly every PPV producing a Wrestlecrap of the Year Contender. Vince Russo had managed to make WCW a parody of itself with it never improving until he left in the fall. If you were to check out any PPV from 2000, watch Fall Brawl. In a year where producing three star matches was a difficult challenge, they produced a few on that night.

Perhaps the saddest thing about WCW history is that their final ever PPV, Greed 2001, was actually my favorite WCW PPV in years. They looked to finally be improving and potentially being back to their pre-Hogan selves, but it was too late. Watch Greed 2001, especially if you're a fan of the 2000s indies. The previous PPVs of Sin and Superbrawl have select matches worth watching too.

Jim's Favorite Threads

Coming next month - TEN

Chikara Trainee

Status

Jim

I can see ya know your stuff so I need your help. Yep, 100% selfish, but ya did say....Ask Jim.

I get this is way below where you're at but it would help in ending a debate I'm in.

In your opinion, how would you rank the top 10 wrestlers since 1980? Ya don't have to give the why unless ya want to. Just looking for someone who is on the upper levels of pro wrestling knowledge to chime in. Curious if you agree with me.

I do put ...impact on the biz...above in ring ability.
    Last edited by Emerson; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    Jim

I can see ya know your stuff so I need your help. Yep, 100% selfish, but ya did say....Ask Jim.

I get this is way below where you're at but it would help in ending a debate I'm in.

In your opinion, how would you rank the top 10 wrestlers since 1980? Ya don't have to give the why unless ya want to. Just looking for someone who is on the upper levels of pro wrestling knowledge to chime in. Curious if you agree with me.

I do put ...impact on the biz...above in ring ability.
    Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of such lists. They're just so open to interpretation without any right or wrong answers. It's why I've stayed clear of the WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History! thread. I recognize that a lot of members are likely working quite hard on their lists, but I find them to be a bit stupid. Mind you, I have a ton of super geeky tendencies when it comes to wrestling, so it's not as if I can act like I'm better than them.

If we're talking about impact over in ring ability, then I suppose it's a bit more straightforward. At the same time, that's a huge time period to cover with a lot of things also changing. Just for the sake of keeping this simple, I'm not even going to pretend to look at wrestlers outside of America. As far as the ten most important wrestlers since 1980:

- Hulk Hogan
    - Ric Flair
    - Steve Austin
    - The Rock
    - The Undertaker
    - Bill Goldberg
    - Bret Hart (Mostly for how he left the WWE)
    - Triple H (Mostly for behind the scenes)
    - Andre the Giant
    - John Cena

*Shrugs*

Idk, my best replies tend to be ones on specific topics I can really dive into.

Jim's Favorite Threads

Coming next month - TEN

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of such lists. They're just so open to interpretation without any right or wrong answers. It's why I've stayed clear of the WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History! thread. I recognize that a lot of members are likely working quite hard on their lists, but I find them to be a bit stupid. Mind you, I have a ton of super geeky tendencies when it comes to wrestling, so it's not as if I can act like I'm better than them.

If we're talking about impact over in ring ability, then I suppose it's a bit more straightforward. At the same time, that's a huge time period to cover with a lot of things also changing. Just for the sake of keeping this simple, I'm not even going to pretend to look at wrestlers outside of America. As far as the ten most important wrestlers since 1980:

- Hulk Hogan
    - Ric Flair
    - Steve Austin
    - The Rock
    - The Undertaker
    - Bill Goldberg
    - Bret Hart (Mostly for how he left the WWE)
    - Triple H (Mostly for behind the scenes)
    - Andre the Giant
    - John Cena

*Shrugs*

Idk, my best replies tend to be ones on specific topics I can really dive into.

I picked up you like to get down into it that was why I was a bit leary going with something this simple, so thanks for making an exception, I appreciate it.

Yep, you see it pretty much as I do.

- Hulk Hogan
    - Ric Flair
    - Steve Austin
    - The Undertaker
    - Dusty Rhodes
    - The Rock
    - Shawn Michaels
    - John Cena
    - Triple H
    - Bret Hart

The big debate was Hogan over Austin. Austin did bring in a lot of $$$$$$$$, bit it was Hogan who opened that door.

Thank you Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    The big debate was Hogan over Austin. Austin did bring in a lot of $$$$$$$$, bit it was Hogan who opened that door.
    Eh, they were both among the first names that popped into my head. I see no reason to have to include one but not the other.

Jim's Favorite Threads

Coming next month - TEN

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Eh, they were both among the first names that popped into my head. I see no reason to have to include one but not the other.
    I agree, it was about who was ranked above the other. I had the first few you had, and I feel good about that knowing where you are with this stuff.

Thread Information