Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131
Results 2,601 to 2,611 of 2611

Thread: The Ask Jim Thread

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: The Ask Jim Thread

What would you consider the following wrestlers primes in terms of workrate. Let's say prime is a 2-3 year window.

Undertaker
    Shawn Michaels
    HHH
    Mick Foley
    Hulk Hogan
    Ric Flair
    Chris Benoit
    Chris Jericho
    Sting
    Kurt Angle
    Booker T

Scumbag Role Model

Status
    Living in Norfolk, VA. Born in Boston, Mass.
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    What would you consider the following wrestlers primes in terms of workrate. Let's say prime is a 2-3 year window.

Shawn Michaels
    I'll take this one Jim.

I would say between the fall of 2000 and the spring of 2002 or anything post WrestleMania 26.
    -------
    [07:37 PM] Shake: I am obsessed with Nicky its true
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

God's Gift to God

Status

Shawn Michaels' lazy eye had a better career than Shawn Michaels.

ily
    Last edited by PowerfulCoxatron; 09-25-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    Shawn Michaels' lazy eye had a better career than Shawn Micahaels.

ily
    He's better in Country Strong or whatever that movie is than he is ever was a wrestler.
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 09-25-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    -------
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!

God's Gift to God

Status

He was the 4th best member of Degeneration X.

ily

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulCoxatron View Post
    He was the 4th best member of Degeneration X.

ily
    He was God's Marty Janetty.

I'll bring us back on track. I've been thinking about this today after Enzo's title win: has there ever been a good 'fluke' championship reign or a reign based off of limited ability that actually has decent quality or booking and doesn't jump the shark? What's the key to booking title reign like that in order to not have it come off as a complete booking failure?

The only one I can think of is Santino's first IC Title reign but even that arguably went too long.

EDIT: Also can you book Duke The Dumpster Droese as WWF Champion okay thx
    Last edited by Darling Nicky; 09-25-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    -------
    -------

Feel The Heat

Status

No matter how many jobbers we get him to book as world champion it'll never be better than BRAVOMANIA RUNNIN WILD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    I'll be focusing more on select year periods as sometimes a wrestler will have a really strong year, but the next year won't be as strong, so if I focus on 2-3 years, I may be having to ignore individual great years.

Undertaker - Probably around 2006-2007 with late 1996-1997 being a good year as well.

Shawn Michaels - 1996 HBK was his best as a singles wrestler with ease. His 1989 as a member of the Rockers were also great, if you extend it to 1989-Wrestlemania 6, you even somehow get a good Dino Bravo tag match.

HHH - Obviously 2000 to his first torn quad.

Mick Foley - I have to go with 1994 since he managed to carry The Nasty Boys to several really good matches and even a 5 star match.

Hulk Hogan - Early 80s would be the most logical choice before he started to drastically limit his workrate in favor of sticking with a simple, but insanely popular act.

Ric Flair - Mid-80s would be fair to say. 84-86 ish?

Chris Benoit - 2000 until his neck injury in 2001.

Chris Jericho - Maybe the same time period as Benoit?

Sting - 1988 would be my first thought, but 1992 was probably stronger in terms of having quality matches against a greater amount of opponents.

Kurt Angle - 2002-2003 when Angle was figuring out his formula, but it was still fresh. In addition, before the injuries started to pile up.

Booker T - Did he ever have a prime? I guess 2001-2002? Idk, dude was always massively overrated. [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Darling Nicky View Post
    I'll bring us back on track. I've been thinking about this today after Enzo's title win: has there ever been a good 'fluke' championship reign or a reign based off of limited ability that actually has decent quality or booking and doesn't jump the shark? What's the key to booking title reign like that in order to not have it come off as a complete booking failure?
    I've been thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion that either these sort of title reigns suck (JBL 2004 or Prince Iakaua 1997) or the quality comes from the surprise win, but the actual title reign is too short to be anything too special. There's several good examples of that. Both of 1-2-3 Kid's WWE Tag reigns in 1994 and 1995. Jeff Hardy's brief IC Title reign post-WM 17. There are a couple of reigns that could fit as answers though.

- Rey Mysterio Jr's 1st Cruiserweight Title reign - I've spoken about this before, but I found it to be a massive upset when Mysterio beat Malenko on Nitro. Yet by time Mysterio lost the belt back to Malenko at Halloween Havoc, you probably had the absolute best Cruiserweight Title reign in history.

- The Young Bucks' 1st PWG Tag Title reign - They won the belts from a fairly big team in 2008 with Age of the Fall, but this was before the Bucks were one of the biggest tag teams in wrestling. They went from being an opening match act to main eventing PWG shows and one of the most sought after indie acts.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Great booking Jim. You've made Jannetty and Candido very useful and improved the tag division.

Once you've answered the Jake Roberts question then I've got another booking question. Year long booking for Lex Luger and Tatanka. SummerSlam 94. Let's just say Lex Luger beats Tatanka. Luger sells out and joins the Million Dollar Corporation.

Book Luger's run in the MDC. However his last match in the WWE must be against The Undertaker at SummerSlam 95. It can either be a casket match, loser leaves WWE, up to you what type of match. This ends the year long rivalry between The Undertaker and The MDC.

As for Tatanka, his heel run was a failure. It would be interesting to see how you continue to book him as a face up till SummerSlam 95.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    Book Jake Roberts return run as a heel from Royal Rumble 1996 with the run ending when he left the company around February 1997.
    Royal Rumble 1996

Jake Roberts returns to the WWE in the Royal Rumble match. This can go down exactly as it did in reality with Roberts being a babyface and using Revelations (His 1996 snake) and the DDT against Lawler. Roberts can get in one or two eliminations before being tossed as well.

Bret Hart (c) def The Undertaker to retain WWE Title after interference from Jake Roberts. The fans are initially confused as to how they should react, but they settle on booing Roberts when he continued the attack after the match, laying Taker out with a few DDTs on the exposed floor.

Angle: Roberts return and the set-up for the Taker angle. You're also allowing the fans to get in their babyface reactions with the snake and the DDT on Lawler so that they're willing to boo him later in the show.

Monday Night Raw - Night After Royal Rumble

Roberts cuts a heel promo about taking all credit for Taker's WWE success by showing Taker how to embrace his evilness years ago. How did Taker repay him? By turning on his master and being responsible for Roberts' absence from WWE TV for four years. Roberts is solely back in the WWE to kill the Deadman. Clips of their 1991-1992 partnership/feud can be played.

Jake Roberts def Aldo Montoya with the Tombstone Piledriver. After the match, Roberts hits the DDT on the exposed floor to injure Montoya. Bob Holly runs out to protect his buddy from any further punishment.

Angle: The creation of a short term program between Roberts/Holly to build Roberts up for his Taker WM match. Montoya is officially announced to have broken his neck.

Monday Night Raw - Build-up to IYH 6

Angle: Roberts wins a series of squashes against jobbers and lowcarders. Roberts keeps attempting to hit DDTs on the exposed floor after winning matches with the Tombstone. Bob Holly is always there to save the victims before they get Aldo'd.

In Your House 6

Jake Roberts def Bob Holly with the Tombstone. After the match, Roberts injures Holly with the DDT on the exposed floor, injuring Holly and causing him to have to be stretchered out. After the injury angle, the lights go off and The Undertaker plays mind games with Roberts in Taker's first interaction on WWE TV since Royal Rumble, although he doesn't appear.

Angle: Wrapping up the short term Roberts/Holly program with Roberts killing off the savior of the jobbers and officially setting up the Taker/Roberts WM match.

Wrestlemania 12

The Undertaker def Jake Roberts with a DDT. After the match, Taker lays Roberts out with a Tombstone on the floor outside.

Angle: Roberts fails against Taker and gets hurt in the process. Is this it for Roberts?!

Monday Night Raw - Night After Wrestlemania

The Undertaker def Isaac Yankem in the main event. After the match, Mankind makes his debut, attacking The Undertaker, destroying Taker worse than anyone had before.

Angle: Setting up Taker/Mankind angle.

In Your House 7

Mankind def The Undertaker after Jake Roberts returned, wearing a neck brace to interfere and help Mankind win. After the match, Roberts cuts a promo about how he's responsible for bringing Mankind into the WWE and if Taker thought he had rid himself of Roberts at Wrestlemania, he's mistaken. The war to kill the Deadman has just begun.

Angle: The Roberts/Mankind partnership is created.

In Your House 8

Free-For-All Match: Mankind w/Jake Roberts def Bushwhacker Butch

Angle: Just an easy victory for Mankind as we prepare for Mankind/Taker II.

King of the Ring 1996

KOTR Semi-Finals: Marc Mero def Mankind w/Jake Roberts via count-out after The Undertaker interferes. After the match while Taker and Mankind are fighting up the entrance way, Roberts lays Mero out with a DDT on the mat on the outside.
    KOTR Finals: Steve Austin def an injured Marc Mero due to the Roberts DDT.

Angle: Mankind/Taker continues while Mero gets caught up in the program as well.

In Your House 9

Mankind and Jake Roberts def The Undertaker and Marc Mero after Aldo Montoya returns and turns heel by hitting a spinning Tombstone on Mero behind the ref's back to allow Roberts to pin Mero.

Angle: Both Mankind/Taker and Mero/Roberts feuds continue. Aldo returns to align himself as a lackey of Roberts. Aldo will be renamed as Mr. Aldo and will change up his ring gear/mask to a darker look.

Summerslam 1996

Jake Roberts w/Mr. Aldo def Marc Mero with the DDT despite Mero laying Mr. Aldo out after a lot of interference.

Mankind def The Undertaker in a Boiler Room match after Paul Bearer turns on Taker. In the match, both Roberts and Mr. Aldo were barred from interfering. After the match, Roberts and Mr. Aldo comes out to celebrate with Mankind and their new manager, Paul Bearer.

Angle: Things continue to go terrible for Taker with Roberts getting in Bearer's head to have him turn his back on Taker.

In Your House 10

IC Title Tournament Finals: Goldust def Marty Jannetty after interference from Jake Roberts and Mr. Aldo to become the new WWE IC Champion. Goldust aligns himself with Roberts and company.

Shawn Michaels (c) vs Mankind w/Paul Bearer went to a no contest in a WWE World Title match after Jake Roberts, Mr. Aldo, and Goldust interfered for Mankind, and Marc Mero, Marty Jannetty, and HBK's buddy, Sycho Sid ran out to make the save, leading to a big brawl.

Angle: Setting some things up for Survivor Series.

In Your House 11

Vader def Sycho Sid in a #1 Contender's Match after Goldust interfered.

The Rockers def Jake Roberts and Mr. Aldo after HBK hit the super kick on Mr. Aldo.

Angle: Setting up HBK/Vader II to allow Michaels to be busy for Survivor Series while adding more heat to the Survivor Series elimination match.

Survivor Series 1996

Team Darkside (Sycho Sid, Marty Jannetty, Marc Mero, and The Undertaker) def Team Bearer (Mankind, Jake Roberts, Mr. Aldo, and Goldust) in a Survivor Series elimination match. Taker, debuting a new look, is the sole Survivor after Mankind is DQ'd for hitting Taker with a chair and causing Jake Roberts to be counted out by running away. Also in the match, Sycho Sid eliminated IC Champion, Goldust.

Angle: Further build-up to the Goldust/Sid IC Title match. Nearing the end of the Roberts/Taker program.

In Your House 12

Mankind w/Paul Bearer def Bret Hart in a #1 Contender's match

The Wild Flyers ( ) def Jake Roberts/Mr. Aldo, Owen Hart/British Bulldogs (c), and The Godwinns to win the WWE Tag Titles. Roberts left the match when a fight broke out between he and The Undertaker.

Sycho Sid def Goldust (c) via DQ after interference from Mr. Aldo in an IC Title match.

Angle: Sid/Goldust gets more build and we get the final bits of build for the last Taker/Roberts match.

Royal Rumble 1997

The Undertaker def Jake Roberts in a Last Man Standing match after the returning Bob Holly prevents Roberts from throwing a fireball at Taker. Taker wins cleanly with a Tombstone.

Sycho Sid def Goldust (c) to win the WWE IC Title

Mankind w/Paul Bearer def Shawn Michaels (c) to win the WWE World Title

The Undertaker wins the Royal Rumble match, last eliminating Vader. Jake Roberts was supposed to be an entrant, but was forced to miss the match due to the Last Man Standing match. Bob Holly took his place.

Angle: Sid wins the IC Title to add a new chapter to the Goldust program, Taker officially wins the Jake Roberts program, Bob Holly returns to kick off Roberts' send off, and Wrestlemania main event is unofficially set up.

In Your House 13

Mankind (c) def Vader to retain the WWE World Title

The Undertaker def Mr. Aldo in a squash.

Bob Holly def Jake Roberts in a No DQ match after DDT'ing Roberts on the exposed floor. Roberts gets stretchered just as Holly was one year earlier.

Angle: Jake Roberts is officially done with the WWE.

Wrestlemania 13

The Undertaker def Mankind (c) w/Paul Bearer to win the WWE World Title in a match where Mr. Aldo is given the Tombstone through a table, killing him off, and Taker finally pins Mankind.

Sycho Sid (c) def Goldust to retain the WWE IC Title in some sort of gimmick match.

Angle: Just wrapping a couple of things up. With their wins, Taker and Sid officially wins their feuds against Mankind and Goldust.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaro View Post
    I've got another booking question. Year long booking for Lex Luger and Tatanka. SummerSlam 94. Let's just say Lex Luger beats Tatanka. Luger sells out and joins the Million Dollar Corporation.

Book Luger's run in the MDC. However his last match in the WWE must be against The Undertaker at SummerSlam 95. It can either be a casket match, loser leaves WWE, up to you what type of match. This ends the year long rivalry between The Undertaker and The MDC.

As for Tatanka, his heel run was a failure. It would be interesting to see how you continue to book him as a face up till SummerSlam 95.
    Before I get to the booking question, I want to address Tatanka's heel run. It wasn't a failure. He may have not have much direction, but he remained in the spotlight with going to the finals of the WWE Tag Tournament at Royal Rumble 1995 and even main eventing KOTR 1995. Sure, it lacked the proper push after a heel turn, but is it really any different from his babyface run? Tatanka was directionless throughout his entire WWE run. Let's break down the three main time periods of Tatanka's original run with the WWE:

- Undefeated Babyface - Jan 1992 - October 1993 - I think this is where most believe Tatanka's heel run was a failure because in this time period, he remained undefeated. Yet, what did Tatanka really do in this undefeated streak? The only feud he had in 1992 was against Rick Martel, but the feud was pretty awkward in that it was de-emphasized in the summer since Martel was going to be booked against HBK at Summerslam. Then after doing absolutely nothing for a few months, he was given a month long feud against IC Champion HBK. He did pick up a couple of good wins over Michaels, but it was pretty pointless as the feud just ended at WM despite Tatanka not winning the IC Title nor was he pinned. After WM 9, Tatanka entered a feud against Bam Bam Bigelow, but despite the WWE practically promising a KOTR semi-finals match between the two, it didn't happen. Summerslam '93 came and they weren't given a singles match (instead a six man tag). And then the feud just ended. He didn't do anything for a couple of months before he was finally defeated by Ludvig Borga in a bit of a random match.

- Defeated Babyface - December 1993 - Summerslam 1994 - You'd think that the Borga defeat would lead directly into some PPV matches between he and Tatanka, but thanks to a Borga injury, that didn't happen. Not that it mattered since Borga was mostly feuding with Lex Luger after Survivor Series. Instead, Tatanka gets to wrestle Bigelow at Royal Rumble, months after they had feuded. Near Wrestlemania, Tatanka entered a feud against IRS, but instead of seeing a singles match between the two, they're thrown in a ten men tag that ends up not even happening due to HBK/Razor going long. Again, rather than devote a PPV match with IRS and Tatanka at King of the Ring, Tatanka is thrown in a random match against Owen Hart in a losing effort despite the fact that IRS won his first round match against Mabel. Why didn't IRS just beat Tatanka? Then that led directly into the angle where DiBiase made it seem as if Lex Luger had betrayed his BFF and joined up with Tatanka's biggest rival heading into Summerslam.

- Heel Tatanka - Summerslam 1994 - March 1996 - Tatanka would continue to feud with Lex Luger until just before Wrestlemania 11. This would include a Survivor Series elimination match and morphing into a tag feud with Davey Boy Smith and Bam Bam Bigelow. Rather than do the logical thing and wrap up the feud at Wrestlemania 11 with either the cage match between the two (Happened on March to Wrestlemania 11) or a tag match with IRS and Bulldog, Tatanka and Luger didn't do anything at WM. After Mania, Tatanka renewed his feud with Bigelow after Bam Bam left the Million Dollar Corporation. In typical WWE Tatanka fashion, they were not given a PPV singles match at In Your House 1, King of the Ring (Although it was a tag match) or Summerslam 95. It then seemed as if Tatanka got injured shortly after Summerslam, missing the rest of the year. Tatanka would return at Royal Rumble '96, but wouldn't be used in any programs until he left in March.

So this is a guy who from beginning to end of his WWE career, had very questionable booking and so many obvious PPV matches that just never happened. Sure, his heel run didn't amount to much, but his babyface runs were just as directionless.
    ---

That's it for now. I have the beginning of the Luger booking figured out with a few surprises and what I consider a fun angle, but I still need to connect some things around WM 11 time.

Thread Information