Thread: Drummer Joey Jordison Leaves Slipknot

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Drummer Joey Jordison Leaves Slipknot

Drummer Joey Jordison leaves Slipknot

Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison has left the band, it has been confirmed.

A statement on the band's website confirms Jordison's departure, citing "personal reasons" for his decision to leave the group. The band claim they will let fans know more about Jordison's exit in the near future.

The statement reads: It is with great pain but quiet respect, that for personal reasons Joey Jordison and Slipknot are parting ways. We all wish Joey the best in whatever his future holds. We understand that many of you will want to know how and why this has come to be, and we will do our best to respond to these questions in the near future.

It continues: "It is our love for all of you, as well as for the music we create, that spurs us to continue on and move forward with our plans for releasing new material in the next year. We hope that all of you will come to understand this, and we appreciate your continued support while we plan the next phase of the future of Slipknot."

In June, Slipknot dropped hints that they will be returning with new material in the near future as they headlined the opening night of Download Festival. The band's last album 'All Hope Is Gone' was released in 2008 before Gray's death, and they have never confirmed that they will be recording another LP.

Earlier this year, musical equipment worth $36,000 (£24,000) was been stolen from the Iowa home of Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor. The singer told police that two guitars that had belonged to the band's bassist Paul Gray, who died in May 2010, were among the items stolen.

NME

For A Better WC

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Drummer Joey Jordison Leaves Slipknot

After Corey, Joey's probably the most important member of the band and a huge part of their sound. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Gray gone. Joey gone. Others with side projects. wouldnt be surprised if we never see new material from them.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Just saw this on AbsolutePunk and came on to post it myself. Pretty shocking, but does anyone else get a worrying vibe from the vague "personal reasons" being cited and the "great pain but quiet respect" quote from the band? That's got me a little worried about Joey's health to be honest, especially since the band have confirmed they will reveal more later but not yet.

As for the possible new material, Ed's right about Joey being an integral part of the sound, but the band have never before promised new material so I get the feeling that they want it to come now. It might even be a little easier for them with another member no longer a part of the group; changing the sound a bit and making it feel less like they are disrespecting Paul's memory (if that's a feeling they have at all) and drums and bass are very much connected so a whole new rhythm section could be exactly what they need to move on and get a new album done.

Status

Its kinda worrisome on the direction that this could take the band in, but it is also necessarily a bad thing. Musical evolution, whether by choice or necessity, can be a great thing. Sometimes.

I am the Outlaw

Status

They've not released a new album for 5-6 years, they've had to suffer the death of a fellow band member, and now one of the most important remaining members leaves. Like Ed, I wouldn't be surprised if they never released any new stuff.

Which is a damn shame because all 4 of their albums are awesome.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

They've said they're still moving forward with the new album, so there should at least be one more. No idea how they're gonna replace Joey though.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    After Corey, Joey's probably the most important member of the band and a huge part of their sound. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Gray gone. Joey gone. Others with side projects. wouldnt be surprised if we never see new material from them.
    Agreed. But even then, as much as I'd be excited for new material, I'd also be super worried about what direction they go in. The last album was good, but as they've matured they've lost so much of their edge that made them great to start off with.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

This is disappointing. I much prefer their direction the last two albums as opposed to the first two (even though they were dope of course) and I was so pumped and anticipating something new.

Bummer.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrang
    Joey Jordison and Corey Taylor speak out about drummer's departure from Slipknot

Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison has spoken out for the first time regarding his shock departure from Slipknot.

The drummer explained that he 'did not quit slipknot', further fuelling rumours that the drummer's split was less than amicable.

Joey posted the following statement on his official Facebook page but noted that he was currently unable to openly fully explain his departure:

"To my fans, friends, and associates...

I would like to start the New Year by addressing the recent rumors and speculation regarding my departure from Slipknot. I want to make it very clear that I DID NOT QUIT SLIPKNOT. This band has been my life for the last 18 years, and I would never abandon it, or my fans. This news has shocked and blindsided me as much as it has all of you. While there is much I would like to say, I must remain silent to further details at this time. I would like to thank you all for your unwavering love and support, and wish everyone a very happy and healthy New Year."

Frontman Corey Taylor tweeted a brief and defiant note to those speculating about the trouble in camp Slipknot, saying:

"For those who think The Knot are falling apart, you are greatly and sadly mistaken.
    Bring On 2014.
    Great Things Are Coming.
    Stay Tuned..."
    This is news from nearly a week ago but it's worrying nonetheless. Regardless of what Corey may say, the idea that Joey was kicked out of the group rather than leaving under his own steam is very disappointing and a definite sign that Slipknot aren't all on the same page, or at least they weren't before Joey was removed from the group for whatever reason.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Just think of it like they're done and then it will be a nice surprise if they ever release anything else, rather than a massive disappointment if they don't. That's my advice.

On Vacation

Status

i never liked slipknot.
    they are a Mushroom head rip off.

I am the Outlaw

Status

Quote Originally Posted by May Pop View Post
    i never liked slipknot.
    they are a Mushroom head rip off.
    Excuse you son.

Mushroomhead are dope though.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

They're really not similar musically.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

On Vacation

Status

I was referring more to the costumes.
    Slipnot does more with the percussion instruments, eh?

Status
      Country                    United States

This doesn't really surprise me, and I can't say that I care too much.
    I'll check out whatever they end up putting out.

If Joey tries to reform the Murderdolls(minus Tripp) I'll be pretty amused.

POWERFUL
    RANGERS
    Zero/Silk/Shake
    BlackTiger/HoHo/
    Rogue

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bad News Tommy View Post
    Just think of it like they're done and then it will be a nice surprise if they ever release anything else, rather than a massive disappointment if they don't. That's my advice.
    That's pretty much where I am, I just think it sucks major ass that they booted Joey like that.

Thread Information