Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday The 13th Sequel (TBA)

Status
      Country                    United States

Friday The 13th Sequel (TBA)

Much like the spotlighted villain at the center of its movies, the Friday the 13th franchise is once again coming back from the dead. Paramount Pictures has announced that they will be releasing a brand new title from the long-running horror series on March 13, 2015.

But what exactly is this movie? Is it a sequel to the Marcus Nispel-directed reboot from back in 2009? Is it the continuation of the franchise that seemingly ended in 2003 with Freddy vs. Jason? The answer is none of the above. According to the reliable Exhibitor Relations Twitter account, the new film will be yet another reboot. What makes it interesting, however, is that the movie will be the thirteenth theatrically released movie in the series.

While the synchronicity of the numbers may get you excited and thinking that the studio is going to try really hard with this one, let's not forget the most recent history of the Friday The 13th franchise. Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason and Nispel's Friday The 13th reboot - the only three movies in the series to be released since the turn of the century - were all completely torn apart by critics. Is there really any reason to believe that this new one will be any better?

Adding an extra layer to this project's backstory is the weird way in which Paramount actually got the rights to make the movie. Back in June, the studio made a deal with Warner Bros., who wanted to negotiate for a piece of Christopher Nolan's upcoming sci-fi epic Interstellar. In exchange, Warner Bros. signed over their rights to co-finance another Friday the 13th movie and its role in producing a new South Park film. The catch with the deal was that it would expire in five years, but by having a new Jason Voorhees slashfest in theaters in 2015 Paramount is taking full advantage. But does this mean that we could soon see another South Park film too?

While March 13, 2015 is an ideal date because it is one of only three Friday the 13th options on the 2015 calendar (the other two being in February and November), the release date also gives the newly announced project some heavy competition. Also set to open that same weekend will be both Kenneth Branagh's live-action fairy tale Cinderella and Ron Howard's survival thriller In The Heart of the Sea. There isn't a ton of crossover in terms of demographics, but three big titles in one weekend will stretch the movie-going audience thin.

Are you looking forward to the new Friday The 13th movie? Answer our poll below and tell us what you're thinking in the comments section.
    Theres rumors it's not a sequel, but another reboot. We shall see.
    Last edited by Necro; 02-06-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Re: Friday The 13th Sequel (2015)

Meh, the remake was mostly just a sequel. Although I will be greatly disappointed if they don't go with the original idea of a winter based Friday the 13th. It has the potential to be add a fresh spin on the series and create some creative new kills to the series. Besides, I'm sure Jason can easily find a hockey mask in the winter.

People's Champion

Status

The winter idea would be really cool to see. I would actually be interested in seeing that.

Here is your winner - Tapatalk!

On Vacation

Status

I'm down for the Winter based sequel.

Now, let's be real about somethings here. I apologize for going some what off topic (plz don't infract me Jim) but the previous three movies were not that bad. The critics may have torn them apart, but I feel it is just because we have seen so much that our standards are ridiculously high. Had either one of the three (especially Freddy vs Jason) been released in the 1980s or early 1990s, the reviews would have been a lot different. Hell the reboot was better than a lot of the previous sequels.

People's Champion

Status

I enjoyed both Jason X and Freddy versus Jason. It is an odd thing to enjoy really. They could have been better, but they were fun for me. I do not remember watching the reboot at all even though I have a DVD of it. It probably was fine. The problem with most sequels is that they are measured by how good the original was.

Here is your winner - Tapatalk!

Eh, Freddy vs Jason sucked. FFS, they had Jason afraid of water and Freddy had a phobia of fire!

Jason X had potential, but it was too cheesy.

The remake was easily the best amongst the three though. Although to be honest, I probably enjoyed the remake more than Jason Goes to Hell, Friday 8 and Friday 7 too.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The remake was easily the best amongst the three though. Although to be honest, I probably enjoyed the remake more than Jason Goes to Hell, Friday 8 and Friday 7 too.
    With the exception of Friday 7, I'm pretty much the same way after taking another look at the remake.

As for this one, I'm not holding my breath until we get more news. I realize Paramount "says" they're going ahead with it, but they were supposed to be going ahead with a sequel to the remake and that never happened.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

On Vacation

Status

Eh, Freddy vs Jason sucked. FFS, they had Jason afraid of water and Freddy had a phobia of fire!

Jason X had potential, but it was too cheesy.

I see your point but Freddy was able to get inside someone's head to see what scares them. I agree it was cheesy the way he discovered he was afraid of water but getting inside his mind and seeing the agony of his past bothers him. No one had ever been able to do that with Jason, so it made the situation unique. I honestly don't remember Freddy being afraid of fire, but the fight scene in the burning cabin also gave off the impression he wasn't. If you remember something I don't please remind me because I haven't seen it in a few years.

The reboot did a fantastic job with Jason and showing his grief over his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I see your point but Freddy was able to get inside someone's head to see what scares them. I agree it was cheesy the way he discovered he was afraid of water but getting inside his mind and seeing the agony of his past bothers him. No one had ever been able to do that with Jason, so it made the situation unique. I honestly don't remember Freddy being afraid of fire, but the fight scene in the burning cabin also gave off the impression he wasn't. If you remember something I don't please remind me because I haven't seen it in a few years.

The reboot did a fantastic job with Jason and showing his grief over his mother.
    I don't mind Freddy going into Jason's head to find out what scared him, but water was such a stupid choice seeing as some of Jason's most legendary kills involved him being in the water. Plus I'm pretty sure Freddy discovered Jason's fear by pure luck during one of their fights. But yeah, Freddy Krueger, bastard son of a hundred maniacs was acting like a pussy when the cabin caught on fire.

God

Status

Only one of those three I seen was Jason X. It wasnt great, but it was far from horrible. I enjoyed it overall.

This scene was hilarious too:

The Real Rock N' Rolla

On Vacation

Status

I don't mind Freddy going into Jason's head to find out what scared him, but water was such a stupid choice seeing as some of Jason's most legendary kills involved him being in the water. Plus I'm pretty sure Freddy discovered Jason's fear by pure luck during one of their fights. But yeah, Freddy Krueger, bastard son of a hundred maniacs was acting like a pussy when the cabin caught on fire.
    I went back and rewatched the movie. I respectfully disagree with you that Freddy was afraid of the fire in the cabin. It was more the initial shock of being brought out of the dream world into the real world, and then seeing the much larger pissed off Jason, who he just mind fucked, was what I saw him as being afraid of. I remember they made a reference to Jason, dying by water, and Freddy, dying by fire, and then trying to think of a way of using it against each other. However, you may have noticed something I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I went back and rewatched the movie. I respectfully disagree with you that Freddy was afraid of the fire in the cabin. It was more the initial shock of being brought out of the dream world into the real world, and then seeing the much larger pissed off Jason, who he just mind fucked, was what I saw him as being afraid of. I remember they made a reference to Jason, dying by water, and Freddy, dying by fire, and then trying to think of a way of using it against each other. However, you may have noticed something I didn't.
    Freddy was definitely afraid of the fire. It was just something they only briefly touched on though. All you have to do is Google Freddy and afraid of fire and you get plenty of hits about Freddy Vs. Jason. The main thing that sticks with me for Freddy Vs. Jason is reading Fangoria Magazine and the writers stating that when they came abroad, they set up a series of rules that they had to follow. One of which was to follow and respect each series' histories. And they failed miserably.

Serious Business

Status

Why another reboot......... Just make a sequel to 09' Friday the 13th(which i rather enjoyed btw).

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jev View Post
    Why another reboot......... Just make a sequel to 09' Friday the 13th(which i rather enjoyed btw).
    I would love it if they made a remake of the third movie. That was one of my favorites. Also make.another sequel that would be similar to the 4th afterwards would be awesome.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

That sounds like a really good idea. Hopefully they add a new perspective to it.

Boobage Expert

Status

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Only one of those three I seen was Jason X. It wasnt great, but it was far from horrible. I enjoyed it overall.

This scene was hilarious too:

Jason X while a terrible movie did have some creative kills. A winter sequel would be interesting. Not enough for me to see it in theaters but at least to RedBox it. Interesting deal by Paramount and Warner Bros.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

On Vacation

Status

Sweet! Got my future.ex wife to.watch the 2009 reboot! Got her hooked on horror films recently.

Status

Director Found for Friday the 13th Reboot, Found Footage Still in the Cards

The next Friday the 13th film may have found a director in David Bruckner, The Wrap confirms. Bruckner is best known for his contributions to The Signal and V/H/S. In the latter, he helmed the first installment, "Amateur Night."

Paramount and Platinum Dunes are working towards a March 13, 2015 release date for this next chapter which is said to "reboot" the franchise.

Sources tell Shock Till You Drop that a "found footage" approach is still on the table.

No plot details have been revealed…but hey, you can expect Jason Voorhees to return, that's for sure.

I like the idea of Bruckner being involved. Not thrilled with the found footage angle.
    Please no found footage angle. Ughh I'd hate that.

Mr. Wrestlemania

Status

Ugh really not sold on a found footage F13 film.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

If anything the found footage angle allows for a new perspective on the series, and if its done right it could be pretty good.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Horror Comedies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Thread Information