Thread: "Save the FWA" campaign organizes

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

"Save the FWA" campaign organizes

As reported earlier this week, the FWA's network television home and owner, PWS Network, is experiencing technical difficulties and halted all production and finances amid what one employee called "an unavoidable and crippling crisis." The FWA, the network's most profitable entity, is in danger of airing its final Fight Night show this Friday on a live FWA.com and Youtube stream.

Numerous reports and rumors have surfaced, but one thing is for certain — the fans will do everything they can to keep the historic company around.

Former FWA employee Alexx has organized a Facebook page and a Paypal account hoping to raise enough money to either purchase the company from the dying network or show others how loved and profitable the FWA is amongst the wrestling community.

Alexx, a three-time X-Division champ and two-time North American champ, said it would destroy him to see the FWA die.

"While on screen, I may have been disliked and expressed dislike for the FWA," Alexx stated in an email response to a reporter's questions about his interest in the news. "In reality, I love the FWA and would never ever want to see it go out like it may. If the PWS Network won't step up, then maybe someone else will. It's about time to give the FWA back to the people anyways, and that's what I want to do."

The fan page was created Monday and had around 368,400 followers or "likes" as of 4 p.m. Wednesday. Alexx said the fundraising drive asks for anything fans want to contribute and, if gaining enough money, he hopes to run the FWA similar to the NFL's Green Bay Packers, who are majority owned by the city of Green Bay and its residents. Combining his money and the fans' donations plus other interested financial backers, Alexx said he has around $29 million. No word on what the PWS Network would sell the FWA for, but Forbes.com estimates its worth at $84 million. By comparison, the World Wrestling Entertainment — then called the World Wrestling Federation — bought the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling for a reported $7 million, but the purchase was solely for the naming rights, logos and video library as the WWE reportedly did not want the talent or TV slots. Eric Bischoff offered $60 million to buy the company and continue production.

On the Facebook page, fans offered opinions and a "wish list" of things they want to happen in the FWA, which Alexx posted in the page's "about" section. They are, as follows:
    1.) WOLF as World Champion
    2.) Devin Golden (currently called "Whyte Thunder") vs. Chris Kennedy for the first time ever
    3.) Revitalized tag team division
    4.) Focus on newer wrestlers, including Shane McLean
    5.) No more "Syndicate" (a stable or group of "heels" or bad guys that has existed in the company for more than a year)

As of now, the network has not sold the FWA but is listening to potential buyers. The network could hold onto the FWA until its technical issues are resolved, but some feel that could keep the wrestling company off television for too long and extinguish its viewer base of around 4.1 million fans per Fight Night.

Source: The Associated Press
    Last edited by The Golden One; 11-13-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Status

Re: "Save the FWA" campaign organizes

Update: Since the story published, the Facebook fan page has blown up. It currently has around 421,000 followers and Alexx posted a message saying, "Donations are flowing in! We're at $35 million!"

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_scotland=Scotland

Update: Shane McLean's official twitter @AoD_Shane tweeted moments ago: "With the cash crisis, I'm tearing up my contract and working for free #SaveTheFWA"

Source: Shane McLean's Twitter Account
    ~The Ace of Diamonds~
    ~Shane McLean~
    Quote Originally Posted by AzaleanShake View Post
    may have been too high to English at one point. My bad.

Status

Update: As more and more people react to the news of a "Save the FWA" campaign on Facebook, Shane McLean went to the page either right before or right after and donated the equivalent of his previous four month's salary to the Paypal account. Alexx confirmed this report. Shane also went onto his Twitter account and pledged to work for free if the network sold the FWA to the Alexx-fans combination.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

This is like Rangers FC all over again.

The Franchise

Status

Is it really Alexx? Or some evil douchebag who's going to run off with the money?

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    uk_scotland=Scotland

This is like Rangers FC all over again.
    A quick look at my favoured teams should give you a hint where I got the idea from then lol
    ~The Ace of Diamonds~
    ~Shane McLean~
    may have been too high to English at one point. My bad.

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Bless those helpful souls.

Boobage Expert

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShauntotheMaxx View Post
    Is it really Alexx? Or some evil douchebag who's going to run off with the money?
    I'd trust Alexx with my naked and willing wife.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

And that good looking bastard would bend her over.

Thread Information