Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78868788
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1755

Thread: Random FWA Discussion Thread

  1. #1741
    Indy Talent
    Tommy Thunder's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    5920

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    I do like the encouraged interaction between participants when writing multi-man promos. For my taste, storyline based e-fedding is really motivating, fun and exciting. I don't like the fact that there's not so much emphasis on that aspect here, and as I've mentioned, I'm not really into the writing stuff based on the background of the character and such. I'd much rather be cutting a promo for a backstage segment or interview on the show or in he ring on whoever I'm in a feud with or whoever I have a match with that week and what not.

    Would changing thins up lighten the workload on the creative team? I think it would. The way things currently work here seems like an awful lot of work and strain on the ones in charge to me. I don't think that changing the way things work would be taking away the ability to write for the participants as I believe there's an open promo thread, a character twitter thread and so on which are there as outlets for us to write whenever we want. I am to understand that those do contribute to the overall furthering of your character, so it's not like it's a waste of time to use those.

  2. #1742
    THE 559
    Tig's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    60260
    ="text-align:left">   Country                    Ireland

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    If the problem is matches on weekly shows don't mean anything, I'm with Jon. Push a few matches to mean something sprinkled with big tags and jibber matches for the guys not "legit" promoing this week. That way you can protect your singles matches and if you do use them, they will at least mean something.

    Mock Card
    Kazadi vs WHC Cyrus - Cy has to show he's the champ, if Kaz wins he should be rewarded
    Randall vs Thunder - iv N1C match
    Toner/Kai vs Garcia/Jhunha - storyline
    Eyes/Penny/PAJ vs Rondo/Eimi/TJG - storyline

    Could throw in jobber matches that don't require a promo or whatever.

    If we had a bigger roster we could run competitive matches every week.

    SO

    GRIM ETE IN PROGRESS SHAWN SULLY BROC JIGGY COX ETC

    COME BACK

    also Silk Punk Wolf iGo etc should come over and play

    =}
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!


  3. #1743
    THE 559
    Tig's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    60260
      Country                    Ireland

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    ^ forgot to add id change Fight Night to be a 90 min broadcast
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!


  4. #1744
    Squash Fodder

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    1327
      Country                    England

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Tom, what are your thoughts here?
    I think that the balance is probably the best approach, we need to cater to the needs of everyone. I think that there is too big of a gap between shows and that is hurting FWA. I know this is down to the mods writing most of the show but I would be willing to help out with that (whether that be my own segments/matches or others) in order to speed things up. Maybe with motivation that the show goes up at this point with or without your segment (If you miss that deadline then you need to re-work it in news/open promo). With matches maybe focus on smaller, quicker matches on shows (Unless it is a storyline match) If this is a step towards speeding these things up then I am open to it because as I have already stated that is the only real gripe I have.

    I agree with ETE. 'there's also a lack of enthusiasm that can come with writing sporadically.' speeding things up with keep people in the groove. I felt LOW (to dig up ancient history) was at its best when there was a quick turn around to keep people invested. Knowing when things were coming and when they needed things in sped everything up but it took a while to build up to it because we had to slowly speed things up otherwise people can become apathetic, get bored and move on to somewhere else.

    The debate between game/creation is interesting because it's both to me. I do this for creation and I stopped caring about Wins/Losses years ago (which is why I dont keep a W/L record etc.) I like pushing myself to create every week against other people but it is mostly thinking of ways to be creative.

  5. #1745
    Circle Jerker
    KAIZEN's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    458
    Rep Power
    19745
      Country                    Hong Kong

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    i havent added my thoughts to this topic til now because i wanted to spend monday thinking about it. when it was first brought up, my gut reaction towards the idea was negative. seeing as how the conversation has gone over the last couple of pages, i am actually now even more against it than i was at the start. plainly speaking, the big problem that i see is that a lot of assumptions are being made that if there are storyline-only shows then people will somehow be more motivated to participate or do segments. as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, i tend to have the opposite view and see too many worked storylines as a crutch for people who are lazy and/or afraid of losing. and people flake or are very late on segments all the time, what makes people think that just because the shows are non-competitive thatll suddenly motivate people who already cant/wont contribute a ton to the show proper to suddenly increase their creative and written output? the amount of work they have to do on their end doesnt change if youre going to assign people segments of a show, much less segments that have to be coordinated with other RPers and characters. in my view, this is just going to turn into a clusterfuck that doesnt do anything to enhance FWA in the long term. and yes, interest in the efed medium is down across the web, but making more storylined shows isnt going to bring a significant net number of people in imo, but what it definitely will do is turn off those who see the challenge of finding balance between the storytelling element and the competitive element of efedding the main motivator of why they should take time out to participate in the first place. to me, theres no way of dressing storyline-only shows up to look like anything else besides de-legitimizing.

    our mods have always had to bear a huge burden of producing the bulk of the shows, and yes, FWA compared to some other feds ive browsed through seems like an awful lot of work. but the result of that imo (again just based on some of the other feds around the web ive browsed through) is that FWA has turned out way way better than those other feds. the level of writing and storytelling in FWA is astoundingly high, and it really makes the FWA unique, but i believe that constant flow and competition is an essential ingredient towards those stories being told to their fullest extent. there are plenty of ways for us to lower the burden on the mod team, such as running less shows, less matches, staggering jobber matches for people who dont wanna compete that week, etc. more storyline and worked shows are only going to chip away at the core of what makes FWA good while not solving the problems the changes were supposed to fix. thats how i see it anyway.

  6. #1746
    Captain Hammered
    Shawn's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,585
    Rep Power
    14901

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Tbh if the "new idea" had been implemented a few years back, I prob wouldn't have burned out like I did. Doing one+ promo every week for... 15 years? Killed me.

    I'm also very very competitive, and was bitter that my undefeated streak ended bc two partners no-showed in a 6 man tag match that served no other purpose than getting people onto the card - a situation I think could have been avoided had storyline weeks, etc, been in place.

    All that to say, wish I could come back... just don't have the time or the drive anymore.

  7. #1747
    Mid-Card Champion
    Eyesnsane's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    4952

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KAIZEN View Post
    i havent added my thoughts to this topic til now because i wanted to spend monday thinking about it. when it was first brought up, my gut reaction towards the idea was negative. seeing as how the conversation has gone over the last couple of pages, i am actually now even more against it than i was at the start. plainly speaking, the big problem that i see is that a lot of assumptions are being made that if there are storyline-only shows then people will somehow be more motivated to participate or do segments. as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, i tend to have the opposite view and see too many worked storylines as a crutch for people who are lazy and/or afraid of losing. and people flake or are very late on segments all the time, what makes people think that just because the shows are non-competitive thatll suddenly motivate people who already cant/wont contribute a ton to the show proper to suddenly increase their creative and written output? the amount of work they have to do on their end doesnt change if youre going to assign people segments of a show, much less segments that have to be coordinated with other RPers and characters. in my view, this is just going to turn into a clusterfuck that doesnt do anything to enhance FWA in the long term. and yes, interest in the efed medium is down across the web, but making more storylined shows isnt going to bring a significant net number of people in imo, but what it definitely will do is turn off those who see the challenge of finding balance between the storytelling element and the competitive element of efedding the main motivator of why they should take time out to participate in the first place. to me, theres no way of dressing storyline-only shows up to look like anything else besides de-legitimizing.

    our mods have always had to bear a huge burden of producing the bulk of the shows, and yes, FWA compared to some other feds ive browsed through seems like an awful lot of work. but the result of that imo (again just based on some of the other feds around the web ive browsed through) is that FWA has turned out way way better than those other feds. the level of writing and storytelling in FWA is astoundingly high, and it really makes the FWA unique, but i believe that constant flow and competition is an essential ingredient towards those stories being told to their fullest extent. there are plenty of ways for us to lower the burden on the mod team, such as running less shows, less matches, staggering jobber matches for people who dont wanna compete that week, etc. more storyline and worked shows are only going to chip away at the core of what makes FWA good while not solving the problems the changes were supposed to fix. thats how i see it anyway.

    This is sums it up right here for me. I think the idea as well intended as it is will hurt more than it helps.
    If mods are not getting enough help then go to summarized matches and stop writing segments for ppl who don't write them themselves .
    Reduce the number of PPVs making time between them longer a bit.
    And maybe booking logic needs to be looked at and tinkered with.

    "The Eye in Team" 2016


  8. #1748

    PowerfulShake's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Independent Republic of Glasgow
    Posts
    13,306
    Rep Power
    204453
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    I mean ... the other idea is just to do two FNs every PPV cycle and then do 2-3 house shows mixed in with storyline advancements. It's the same idea, except one idea is calling the house shows "Fight Night" and the other is calling them house shows.
    I'm way more on board with this idea. I'll write my vision at the end of this post once I'm done going through these quotes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Personally I feel if you did go this route you'd be best off letting those who want to write promos still do so and determine their matches that way, and those who want to can do the storyline stuff.
    Against this because it just segregates booking. I really don't want to have to book someone vs someone else on the basis that they both want to promo. I don't think that's right and that allows too many 'free passes' to people doing storyline stuff. It'd just be better to split away rather than keep both under the same umbrella.

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Double post.

    Open Promo is a separate issue.
    It absolutely is. And the reason why OP, News/history aren't as active anymore is for a completely different reason. I would argue that the system hasn't evolved but I'm also aware it might just be a case of that the problem isn't to do with the system - it's to do with the community. And I'm not dissing us or whatever but you look at the past FWA community to now and it's very different. We all used to be close knit friends who would talk about the efed alot. We were a lot younger too and granted this was on a different forum. Now, it's very different. It's not the same and that's why I think news/history and OP aren't working as much anymore because I don't think people view the FWA like that anymore. I'm not going to say people don't care for it but it's somewhere in between where the community has evolved and it doesn't necessarily fit the system anymore. I guess you could view this proposed change as maybe going about it the wrong way round - we shouldn't change the system to fit the community but change the community to fit the system. But you can't force people to open promo or post news constantly.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    E-fedding is a dying art. To survive, it needs to adapt to the environment. The players nowadays are more busy/not as interested in the product like the old days. I get why the new format is preferred over the old one, but damn is it sad to see E-fedding die out. I remember the excitement of wondering every week if my promo was good enough to win a match and if it caught the attention of the GMs.

    Sigh...
    I remember that too. But pretty much this feeds into what I said above. It's just the way it is. The FWA was bigger and everyone involved were friends and there was a much larger feeling of community. I do think the move to WC has affected this somewhat but I'm not going to call that a negative because we needed a new home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I'm not a fan of the way the FWA currently operates. I think the way the promos (or 'role plays' where you're setting a scene and giving character background and doing stuff outside of the ring and showing your character's every day life and all that stuff) are done are strange and it doesn't make sense to me. I prefer e-fedding that simulates how a real wrestling company, that we see on tv and so on, works, where you get booked into a storyline with someone, you get your promo assignment for the week (if you're booked to be in a promo), and your promo doesn't determine whether you win every week (if you're in a match). Your overall work determines if you win the feud you're in (vs whoever you're in a feud with) and then how you progress up the card of course.

    To me, the way FWA currently operates is energy sapping and given how much free time people have these days it seems to me that a lot are lacking the motivation. I think anything that lightens the load and perhaps changes up how things are done would breathe new life into it.

    I will say though, this e-fed has been running for, what, 10 years? more? That's impressive. I managed to run my e-fed for about 7 years and it was a hell of a lot of work to keep people interested that long. Kudos to those here who have kept this fed going. You guys know best I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I don't think I've explained how my e-fed operated very well. The ultimate winners of each feud were absolutely determined based on their promo work. But the week to week stuff wasn't necessarily determined by the quality of the week to week promo stuff. Each week the booking team would sit down and plan out the show, then based on who had promo segments the team would send out assignments via PM to those who needed to write a promo for the show (this could range from a backstage promo or interview segment to an in-ring back and forth promo between 2 or more characters) and then those people had to get their promos in for a certain deadline (sent back via PM) and that was it. this was hugely popular I find as I managed to keep an e-fed running for 7 years and the fed for the most part had 2 main brands (at one point 3) and a developmental brand running.

    I couldn't care less about how a 'classic e-fed' works or what is 'traditional'. I'd advocate for whatever works in the current climate. If there's an issue where the e-fed is dwindling then I'd argue that what constitutes as 'traditional' doesn't work in the current climate, and I'd suggest opening up to changing the game up and finding a different way of doing things.

    With all due respect, 80% of the people that signed up to the forum my e-fed was on were singing up specifically to participate in the e-feds that were on there (all of which operated in the same general way), so I'd argue that not 100% of the 'reputable e-feds' out there operate in the way you suggest. Most perhaps, but not 100%.
    I can understand what you're saying but there is no way I am going to decide winners/losers based on how much work people put in to sending in promo segments and whatnot. That feels like the equivalent to writing quantity over quality to win. I get that you might not like how promos are structured but FWA doesn't need to function like that - you aren't under any obligation to write character backstory or whatever. But this isn't a real wrestling company either and so it doesn't necessarily have to function like one. Backstory and stuff going on outside of the ring in promos is usually kept in kayfabe. Basically, what I'm saying is, you could write Thunder at a fan signing and being completely in character/douchey. It's just a fresh take on backstage interview stuff. I know that companies like WWE, the superstars all hang around with each other after the shows and effectively break kayfabe but there are places in the world like Japan where you might not necessarily see this happen and kayfabe is still kept somewhat protected in the public eye. The whole reason for backstory and things outside of the ring is to provide character motivation and depth - to understand why they function the way that they do. Also, alot of people who join the FWA do so because they want an output for creative writing - which might stem from more than just writing your stereotypical wrestling promos. They might really enjoy writing a character that they want to expand upon and build a universe around. Bring them to life, so to speak. Imagine the readership as your potential fanbase, if everyone is cutting the same sort of promo/interview segment with the usual faceish/heelish dialogue with catchphrases then how are they going to stand out and differentiate? How is the reader going to pick favourites? The promo style in the FWA is what allows characters to stand out and for people to connect.

    However, you're entirely free to promo how you wish and I absolutely can take your promo and insert it into a show. Nothing wrong with that at all, don't feel like you have to fit a certain promo style, you can write what you want to write - as long as you're happy with it.

    I'm not sure how much this will initially lighten the load because people will still be expected to contribute segments in place of promoing. They'll still be writing. Or at least, that is what you would hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Positive Jon View Post
    My POV is this. I don't think we should be talking in absolutes one show is storyline, one show isn't. I think the best route is to mix things about, have some storylined matches, some competitive ones that genuinely matter or have repurcussions. Also reduce the shows by 2 matches maybe (I think we average about 7 matches per show?), put the more story centric stuff in tag matches. I think we had a big six man tag main event a while back that really meant nothing in terms of who won/loss and it was champs vs. challengers, the competitors in that match probably could've focused on segs that week (after all the big angle for that match ended up happening after Truth walked away and the result became redundant) but that doesn't mean you couldn't have 2/3 matches that matter that show. Hell, I'm sure Smackdown is booked this way where there's about 2 genuinely competitive (kayfabe wise) matches and then 3 story-centric matches where the result matters a little less.

    tl;dr, mix it up each show.
    I can understand this point too but certain matches' results where say someone walks away might be because they lost that match due to the promos and thus that's the way the match was booked to make that team lose. It could have been different if they had won the match and the person might not have walked away. I'm not sure I'm on board with the mixing of story and competitive matches totally but I get the point and it's something to consider. As said to ETE, I'm just not really that on board with the segregated booking of competitive/storyline stuff because you might end up with a bunch of people constantly competing and others constantly opting for storyline. Then you face the problem of who deserves to be pushed? The guys writing promos and competing every show or those writing segments and pushing their storylines? What happens if someone who's been going complete storyline for a while has to face a proper competitive person? Is there a middle ground? And so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Way I used to do it, give or take, yes. But my e-fed never announced the card ahead of time. You may have a match that was set up on the previous show or something but other than that it was all a surprise. The people involved in the segments would obviously know what was happening in that particular segment, but otherwise it was all a surprise, much like a real show.

    That element would still be in play though, you would still be aiming to write the best promo in order to try and win your match or feud. whoever is the best promo writer is still the person who wins out in the end, because at the end of the day, that's the core of e-fedding.
    Hmm, I do get that you say best promo writer wins and stuff but on what basis do you judge them to be the best? What if someone is contributing way more than someone else but writing total garbage? Will you discredit their hard work in favour of someone who might be contributing less? I still like the competitive aspect of the FWA and it's not something I want gone entirely because it would be a bit of an insult to our history given the various characters that have been created here and ruled the roost, so to speak.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    I do like the encouraged interaction between participants when writing multi-man promos. For my taste, storyline based e-fedding is really motivating, fun and exciting. I don't like the fact that there's not so much emphasis on that aspect here, and as I've mentioned, I'm not really into the writing stuff based on the background of the character and such. I'd much rather be cutting a promo for a backstage segment or interview on the show or in he ring on whoever I'm in a feud with or whoever I have a match with that week and what not.

    Would changing thins up lighten the workload on the creative team? I think it would. The way things currently work here seems like an awful lot of work and strain on the ones in charge to me. I don't think that changing the way things work would be taking away the ability to write for the participants as I believe there's an open promo thread, a character twitter thread and so on which are there as outlets for us to write whenever we want. I am to understand that those do contribute to the overall furthering of your character, so it's not like it's a waste of time to use those.
    As I said above, OP and twitter threads are available to use NOW. So why aren't they? I don't know how a shift in our style would suddenly populate them when there's nothing stopping them from being populated in the first place imo. And I don't think much would change in terms of strain on the mod team - we would still be writing matches and doing the same amount work we do, I would guess. There might be people who are completely happy with their output right now and not change it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    If the problem is matches on weekly shows don't mean anything, I'm with Jon. Push a few matches to mean something sprinkled with big tags and jibber matches for the guys not "legit" promoing this week. That way you can protect your singles matches and if you do use them, they will at least mean something.

    Mock Card
    Kazadi vs WHC Cyrus - Cy has to show he's the champ, if Kaz wins he should be rewarded
    Randall vs Thunder - iv N1C match
    Toner/Kai vs Garcia/Jhunha - storyline
    Eyes/Penny/PAJ vs Rondo/Eimi/TJG - storyline

    Could throw in jobber matches that don't require a promo or whatever.

    If we had a bigger roster we could run competitive matches every week.
    I could swap a few names around there and consequences could largely end up the same. Cyrus vs anyone would still result in the same consequence for him. Kazadi is suppsoed to be a character that wins to win all the time in my eyes so him vs anyone should be treated competitively. I would still want to promo for my matches there - Rondo I don't care about him losing as much (though not right now as he is a character currently needing to win to mean anything) whilst Sanada is someone that, again, I feel has built up a nice streak of wins. I guess it depends on circumstance but I think that if we were to do storyline matches then I think there should be more jobbers, yes. Rather than potentially hurting someone in kayfabe over storyline reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by PheTomenal View Post
    I think that the balance is probably the best approach, we need to cater to the needs of everyone. I think that there is too big of a gap between shows and that is hurting FWA. I know this is down to the mods writing most of the show but I would be willing to help out with that (whether that be my own segments/matches or others) in order to speed things up. Maybe with motivation that the show goes up at this point with or without your segment (If you miss that deadline then you need to re-work it in news/open promo). With matches maybe focus on smaller, quicker matches on shows (Unless it is a storyline match) If this is a step towards speeding these things up then I am open to it because as I have already stated that is the only real gripe I have.

    I agree with ETE. 'there's also a lack of enthusiasm that can come with writing sporadically.' speeding things up with keep people in the groove. I felt LOW (to dig up ancient history) was at its best when there was a quick turn around to keep people invested. Knowing when things were coming and when they needed things in sped everything up but it took a while to build up to it because we had to slowly speed things up otherwise people can become apathetic, get bored and move on to somewhere else.

    The debate between game/creation is interesting because it's both to me. I do this for creation and I stopped caring about Wins/Losses years ago (which is why I dont keep a W/L record etc.) I like pushing myself to create every week against other people but it is mostly thinking of ways to be creative.
    I think, yes, I should probably start posting shows quicker and without waiting on people. That's a good point in that it can be reworked into news/history. Matches for FN are already in a shortened format that people can choose to write in if they look in the info thread. I can agree that writing often is the best way to keep people enthused. I'll do my best to speed show production up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesnsane View Post
    If mods are not getting enough help then go to summarized matches and stop writing segments for ppl who don't write them themselves .
    Reduce the number of PPVs making time between them longer a bit.
    And maybe booking logic needs to be looked at and tinkered with.
    Booking will be changed. As far as not writing segments for people who dont write them themselves - that's supposed to be what we do. We fill in the gaps. We aren't able to write peoples characters as well as they want but we still need to make sure we can give everyone a fair shake and make sure they are represented on the show to some degree. It's difficult to come up with ideas for characters and what to do/write if you haven't been given a possible direction or suggestion. Sometimes, you don't want to upset handlers if you can't represent them properly so you have to go with a minimalist approach - it is what it is. I guess I should just write the segments for people and if they complain then that's on them for not chipping in. Unless of course they gave me directions and I didn't follow them properly. But I try my best to. I have no issue with writing segments for someone if they give me a clear direction to go.




    Anyways, I'm not on board with the storylined FN shows any longer. I see a clear split from some people and even if some of the naysayers are those that aren't actively involved anymore... I still want to keep the FWA tradition intact to some degree. Yes, I am well aware we are doing a storylined show right now but that's been a staple for a short while when we've wanted to do a show to fill in gaps and get feuds ready for a PPV but we don't have time to go through the week long promo process.

    So my suggestion is more in line with the house show idea. No doubt, some of you won't be familiar with NJPW but my idea is similar to that. They don't run weeklies. They run house show tours heading into big shows. On these small house shows, you usually find that the cards are unimportant for the most part. Mainly just tag matches featuring a few feuding wrestlers vs another set. There's usually protection in that a few jobbers might be in each team and the jobbers are there to take the pin. Most matches will have interactions between the feuding wrestlers just to keep the feud hot and show that they're clearly beefing with each other. These shows would serve as supplements. Not substitutes. It would allow us to show clear directions for feuds whilst doing small (not substantial) advancements where there's a clear rivalry defined. Fight Nights would still happen - however, I would cut FNs down by 1. So 2 FNs per PPV cycle instead. With a small roster, we can protect a lot of matchups with lessened FN schedule. I think things would be kept quite competitive plus due to the fact that house shows do small advancement and will give no clear advantage to one side over the other, you will want to get some momentum going, I would think.

    A schedule like this would be my idea:

    FN 1 --- 3 or 4 Minimalist House Show results (aka just matches given + results + any noticeable action) --- FN 2 ---> PPV.

    (It could be possible to take 1 House Show and put it after FN 2 to lead into the PPV and to reflect the current person 'winning' the feud?)

    The work is lessened as we take a FN off of the schedule. There are less shows for people to get themselves over so I think it would motivate the fuck out of people to step their game up and get shit done. You want to beat your opponent at the PPV? You want to have the momentum going in? Then you've got to put the work in to earn it. The house shows are inconsequential because wins/losses are traded with perhaps the person who has graded higher on the first FN potentially be shown to ahve a slightttt advantage. But nothing massive. The point is more that there will be less shows thus less opportunity for burnout and likely less matches that feel 'pointless'... and it keeps the competitiveness factor. That's my main reason for it. Creativity and competitiveness won't suffer. The people who are consistently writing the best stuff are still going to be at the top. The workload is lessened. Stories still get told. It seems an effective idea to me but I'm open to changing it up to what people would think can work.


    And as I said to Tommy, you don't HAVE to write promos about backstory and stuff. You can do whatever you want as long as it's written well and it's easy to buy into. I will 100 percent use backstage interviews and whatnot and add them to a show as a segment if you promo with one. But people like KAIZEN, Rondo, Sanada, Toner (just a few examples off the top of my head/self promotion) aren't exactly promoing with material that's easy to just insert into a show. But don't feel that you ahve to deliberately promo a set way here. Everyone's different - some simply just enjoy portraying an onscreen wrestling character, some enjoy building a complex character with a personal story arc and some like doing both. It is what it is.




    A poll being taken was suggested but I am against it now since I feel like it's going to leave one side disappointed over the other when I'm searching for a middle ground instead that unites both sides. I want the competitive integrity to remain and I know that even if we were to appease people by taking a storyline approach, we are disappointing those who come here for a creative outlet and want their competitiveness to thrive. There are people who might not feel like its worth their time being here anymore if their work means nothing. It is what it is. But that's my solution there. We streamline shit somewhat, protect big matches, competitiveness stays for the FNs and PPVs and everyone is genki.
    Last edited by PowerfulShake; 03-31-2017 at 12:56 AM.







    Spoiler:


    POWERFUL RANGERS

    Zero
    Silk
    Shake
    Benwah
    HoHo






  9. #1749
    Indy Talent
    Tommy Thunder's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    5920

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulShake View Post
    I can understand what you're saying but there is no way I am going to decide winners/losers based on how much work people put in to sending in promo segments and whatnot. That feels like the equivalent to writing quantity over quality to win. I get that you might not like how promos are structured but FWA doesn't need to function like that - you aren't under any obligation to write character backstory or whatever. But this isn't a real wrestling company either and so it doesn't necessarily have to function like one. Backstory and stuff going on outside of the ring in promos is usually kept in kayfabe. Basically, what I'm saying is, you could write Thunder at a fan signing and being completely in character/douchey. It's just a fresh take on backstage interview stuff. I know that companies like WWE, the superstars all hang around with each other after the shows and effectively break kayfabe but there are places in the world like Japan where you might not necessarily see this happen and kayfabe is still kept somewhat protected in the public eye. The whole reason for backstory and things outside of the ring is to provide character motivation and depth - to understand why they function the way that they do. Also, alot of people who join the FWA do so because they want an output for creative writing - which might stem from more than just writing your stereotypical wrestling promos. They might really enjoy writing a character that they want to expand upon and build a universe around. Bring them to life, so to speak. Imagine the readership as your potential fanbase, if everyone is cutting the same sort of promo/interview segment with the usual faceish/heelish dialogue with catchphrases then how are they going to stand out and differentiate? How is the reader going to pick favourites? The promo style in the FWA is what allows characters to stand out and for people to connect.

    However, you're entirely free to promo how you wish and I absolutely can take your promo and insert it into a show. Nothing wrong with that at all, don't feel like you have to fit a certain promo style, you can write what you want to write - as long as you're happy with it.

    I'm not sure how much this will initially lighten the load because people will still be expected to contribute segments in place of promoing. They'll still be writing. Or at least, that is what you would hope.
    I absolutely am not suggesting that winners should be decided by quantity over quality, I'm sorry if what I said came across as if I was saying that. My fed didn't do that and I'd never advocate for that to be the case. Quality trumps quantity every time for me.
    I get what you're saying in this point and I get it, thanks for taking the time to explain things man. I genuinely wasn't aware that we were allowed to submit promos to be featured on shows. I've seen that some have promos featured on shows but thought that it was generally the guys more at the top of the card that got to do this and that you had to be asked to do so. I must have missed that in the rules and guidelines. My bad.

    Hmm, I do get that you say best promo writer wins and stuff but on what basis do you judge them to be the best? What if someone is contributing way more than someone else but writing total garbage? Will you discredit their hard work in favour of someone who might be contributing less? I still like the competitive aspect of the FWA and it's not something I want gone entirely because it would be a bit of an insult to our history given the various characters that have been created here and ruled the roost, so to speak.
    We'd judge who was best based on how they'd approached the assignment we'd set them, how they'd presented their character, if they'd done something to make their character stand out, previous work would also be factored in. For our assignments we'd normally give bullet points to hit but always encouraged people to elaborate on those points and even add their own things on top of that. We'd also encourage people to work with whoever they were in a segment with and go back and forth a couple of times on their promo so that they could reply to something their opponent said perhaps. Here's an example of a segment that I dug up from one of the regular weekly shows from my old fed. This is a promo assignment that led to a match:

    "Kyojin out for a promo. He says that he's starting his quest for the Ignition Championship tonight. The ladder match is perfect for his style since he's a perfect fit for the Ignition division. Van Hooligan interrupts him. He says that Kyojin isn't going to be in the match because he isn't going to qualify in time. There's 3 weeks until the ppv and that's more than enough time for Van to qualify. Kyo however is going to fail, because Van says so.
    Kyojin replies by taunting Van. Kyo's beaten Van live on ppv before, and he can do it again any day of the week, even live on Rage. So how about they have a match between themselves right now. And this can be the first Ignition Division qualifier!"

    So the above would be sent via PM a week or so before the show to the guy controlling Kyojin and the guy controlling Van Hooligan. They'd have until a day before the show was posted to get the promo back to us. As you can see Kyojin comes out to the ring and cuts his promo, Van Hooligan then comes out to reply and then Kyojin goes again to close the promo off and then following this was the match of Kyojin vs Van Hooligan. Now normally the winners of the matches on the weekly matches on the regular shows weren't decided based on these weekly promos. Instead, your promo work would contribute towards whether or not you'd win the feud you were in, so your ppv matches. For the above match, since it was some sort of qualifying match for entry to a ppv match then this one on one promo could well have been the deciding factor in the winner of this match. Of course, since Kyojin had the advantage of having the chance to reply (so essentially got to go twice here while Van got to go once) then of course previous work would also come into play, and the trajectory of where your character was going would also factor in. We also had an open promo thread so anything you post there would be taken into account. But, quantity wouldn't trump quality. I must stress that.

    I'm not suggesting that the competitive aspect get taken away, that would be a bad move since that's a large part of why a lot of people participate in an e-fed since it's an online game of sorts essentially. If there's no way for you to actually get better, further yourself and 'win' then what's the point?

    As I said above, OP and twitter threads are available to use NOW. So why aren't they? I don't know how a shift in our style would suddenly populate them when there's nothing stopping them from being populated in the first place imo. And I don't think much would change in terms of strain on the mod team - we would still be writing matches and doing the same amount work we do, I would guess. There might be people who are completely happy with their output right now and not change it at all.
    Well that's my question too; why are these threads not used more? I guess that people don't care about using them? I don't know. But perhaps it would be an idea to offer some encouragement for people to use them? But if there's no incentive to use them then I can understand why people don't. I don't know how much work you guys put into writing your shows but I do know that it takes up a chunk of time to be part of the creative process of these e-feds. Perhaps changing what's being discussed wouldn't change the creative team workload so that's cool.

  10. #1750
    Awesomely Phenomenal
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,030
    Rep Power
    34371

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    I get not wanting to make things difficult trying to book promo writers v promo writers and storyline guys v storyline guys, that'd be a big effort. I'm just fully against taking promos away from those who want to write promos, it is the very essence of efedding after all.

    And yeah the lack of OP and news stuff is to do with the current community in the FWA. That stuff was busy when there a was a big group of good friends in the FWA who OP'd with each other and worked on creating tag teams/stables and feuds together. Work load/burnout really doesn't have anything to do with that.


    Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif


  11. #1751
    THE 559
    Tig's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,609
    Rep Power
    60260
      Country                    Ireland

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    I like news posts and backstage stuff and the like but I ain't a big fan of open promo in like the bar where people chain RP. That's just me tho, I don't really enjoy it.
    LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!


  12. #1752
    Ace that Runs this Place
    The Golden One's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    5,861
    Rep Power
    85186
      Country                    United States

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    You definitely don't have to participate in OP to get over and never ever ever ever ever have. I never was a big participant in OP. And I was a main eventer even before going to WC. If you don't like OP then you're fine.
    TGoHo: WC's Greatest Tag Team

    "The Golden One" Devin Golden

    3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10


    Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion


  13. #1753
    Ace that Runs this Place
    The Golden One's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    5,861
    Rep Power
    85186
      Country                    United States

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I get not wanting to make things difficult trying to book promo writers v promo writers and storyline guys v storyline guys, that'd be a big effort. I'm just fully against taking promos away from those who want to write promos, it is the very essence of efedding after all.

    And yeah the lack of OP and news stuff is to do with the current community in the FWA. That stuff was busy when there a was a big group of good friends in the FWA who OP'd with each other and worked on creating tag teams/stables and feuds together. Work load/burnout really doesn't have anything to do with that.
    If we do fewer FNs between PPVs and get shows posted at the same rate as now then we won't take promo writing opportunities from people. We are just shifting around which type of show we do so that ppl are doing more meaningful promos and we're doing more meaningful shows We would just do like 6 fewer FNs and like 4 more PPVs every year. I say 6 and 4 since it requires more time to produce a PPV than a FN. At the current system and current rate, we probably only are doing 4-5 PPVs a year just because the rate of the schedule is so slow. We aren't moving through stories quick enough.

    If ppl are against house shows remember that we have done them in the past. Not to replace FNs but we have had ppl just do completely storylined house shows.
    Last edited by The Golden One; 03-31-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    TGoHo: WC's Greatest Tag Team

    "The Golden One" Devin Golden

    3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10


    Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion


  14. #1754
    Your Least Favorite Mod

    Positive Jon's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westeros
    Posts
    10,703
    Rep Power
    187004
      Country                    Canada

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    100% like the idea Shake put out. Not a fan of the name 'house show', talked about this with Tig & TGO among others in the whatsapp chat but it just gives off this air of unimportance and non-canon (this also following up from the earlier way house shows were written where a huge portion of the emphasis was 'don't worry about this, it doesn't count towards what's going on on-screen') so I hope we come up with a different name for it. Anything really, "FWA in Detroit" or an In Your House type of thing, or keep calling it Fight Night still. I imagine this 'house show' idea would aso work better than the 'storyline' shows because they'd go up faster, take less work, and not hinder the pace of writers.

    Though Kazadi has pretty much been a selfish 'me against the world' sort of character since the start, I've always been pro the idea of stables. Less in the sense of a 'NWO fucking everything up' but more in the sense of everyone is in an alliance (no matter how loose of an alliance that is) and it makes for easier tag matches. Though stables could usually be circled upon on the top 4-5 guys in the roster (I'd say 4th then you could have made an unaffliliated one where they tend to team up with whoever). In my eyes top 4 guys in this case would be Cyrus Truth/KAIZEN/PAJ/Ryan Rondo. Think it would ease booking but also make storylines easier too. Obviously some of those names are harder to come up with for stables (Rondo for example is in a hard transition period) but I think its definitely do-able. And again, makes for easy stories when a stable breaks, or one guy is rising up the card to take over. Stable could be anywhere from 3 to 5 people (closer to 4 I'd suspect with the roster size) and then you could have a jobber or two to fill out positions. This is wish fulfilment and besides the point of discussion.

    Worth quoting Tig on this but when I was looking at FWA from an outsider's perspective, I had zero interest in the open rp's. They felt corny and unrealistic to a degree, as well as aimless. It's just not something I would be interested in doing. I've participated in the twitter thread obviously (I think I had to helm myself because at times it felt off, especially when arguments got out of hand and just came off with both guys looking stupid). On the news side, well I did just post something, I think there is only so much you can do on that front though.
    The Amazing Spider-Man Review Thread
    ​​
    AR PROGRESS [14/14]
    BWC PROGRESS [2/10]

    Brit Wres | Indie Wres | Lucha | Puro

  15. #1755
    "Fook Your VIP"
    An Original Name's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin Ireland
    Posts
    1,466
    Rep Power
    22856
      Country                    Ireland

    Re: Random FWA Discussion Thread

    If I don't see a scene between Ryan Rondo and Danny Torner by the end of the day for four/twenty I'll be very upset.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •