Thread: The person behind the character #1: ETE (Gabrielle)

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

The person behind the character #1: ETE (Gabrielle)

Foreword: So, before operations elsewhere were shut down, I had PMed a few of the old timers, asking to do some interviews about their characters. So i was interviewing the person who controlled the character about said character. My goal for doing this is so that people can learn some of the FWA's history and whatnot. And for people to understand each others characters, as well as their own. First up was ETE, and the person of interest in the interview was Gabrielle. If you want to do an interview, PM me and I will get back to you ASAP.

1. What was the inspiration behind Gabrielle's creation? What made you want to create this sort of character?

Well originally her inspiration was nothing special, she was just intended to be Jacks eye candy and not much else really. Jack was originally my focus with Gabrielle just acting as his manager. But following the FWA rebirth and the Women’s division really taking shape with a Championship brought in she became a proper character. During that time she was just an extension of Jacks character really; being the cocky heel. It wasn’t until feuding with Jenny Ignito and then Sinful Sensuality when I really found the inspiration to write with her. Working with Chris really pushed me and with the characters success a Goddess complex seemed a natural evolution. I was aiming to match and better Chris and draw off working with him during that time. That’s when her sexuality really came into play as well, the whole bisexual angle and relationship with Jenny really turned it up a notch. Everything from there has simply been expanding those character traits. As I said she was originally just going to be a manager but things just got better and better, writing her was easier and easier. And it just grew from there. My inspiration for writing her thesedays is to have her come across as something truly special, have her seem larger than life and her sexual side as a fantasy, that ultimate girlfriend who never says “no”. I write her as a devious fantasy.

2. Did you ever think Gabrielle would be this popular?

Never in a million years. When I first started writing her I was rubbish at it. Just simple and generic heel stuff really. Even after feuding with Jenny Ignito, then joining up with her and the Unholy Uprising, it was still just lil ole me alongside all these top dogs like TMX, J-Roc, TE, G-Rich, and Cryonix, I really felt out of place. I’ve done pretty well since then and Gabby has become a very loved character over the years but I never thought I’d do anywhere near as well as I have.

3. Why did you name the character 'Gabrielle'? Was it taken from her base pic or did it just sound good to you?
    It was just taken from her base pic, who is Gabrielle Richens. It was easy, and a nice name and Gabby Richens was pretty popular in Australia back then as well. In case anyone has thought it though my daughter Gabrielle isn’t named after her, it’s a family name from Maddies side.

4. Is Gabrielle your favourite character (of your own creation) ?

Yeah she is my favourite to write and the most fleshed out of my characters. Most of my big moments in the FWA have been with her as well. Sinful Sensuality and The Great Siege were a lot of fun to be a part of. I will say though Jacks’ 2009 is probably my favourite period of my e-fedding time. Just running amok and pushing the limits to how far I could go with him. Outside of a few risqué promo’s here and there like the Hentai one I’ve never really done that Gabrielle. But I’ve had a lot of partnerships with her and its always fun to work with someone, bounce idea’s off them or just push yourself to get better and better. The sexuality of the character is a joy to write as well, thinking up these scenes and tight clothes in my mind and then creating that image for the reader.

5. Who would you like Gabby to have a feud program with in the future, out of the people you have never worked a serious feud with?

This is a tricky question. Despite being in the FWA since 2006 there are still a lot of people I’ve never had a feud with. Top of my list though would be Devin Golden or Ryan Rondo. Shakey and TGO are similar writers in that they have a very fun style of writing and can write serious or more comedic promos. I think that joking style could produce some great moments in a feud and spark some great promos. There’s also the likes of Ryan Hall and Wolf that I’d love to work a feud with at some point as well. Shane MacLean fits the same bill as Golden and Rondo too, comedic and serious. A Lucian Ace Anime/Hentai feud could be interesting as well. They’re all my top choices, but a good back and forth feud with anyone is a winner. Working with anyone new is always good as well

6. You were once a FWA Mod, what was that like? Is it difficult not to be biased to your own characters?

Being a mod is a lot of work, a lot of underappreciated work. Trying to keep everyone happy, booking everyone, creating feuds and interesting matches. It is a lot of work, there is no other way of putting it. Grading was the worst though, and tricky to really manage. Trying to grade every promo all at once would just burn me out and make the words sort of blend into one another at times. But while it was hard work at times, it was also fun and good to see just how much work guys like Matt and Stu had been doing all these years for the FWA. It was also a thrill to get to test out my own creativity coming up with cards and a few feuds here and there. As for any bias, I can’t deny it’s there to some degree, when you have control there is that urge to just push your own character a little more. There’s enough mods though to keep everyone in check, I don’t feel like I ever overstepped any boundaries as far as that goes.

7. If you could switch control of Gabrielle in exchange for another, existing, FWA Character, who would it be and why?

I really don’t know, it would have to be someone completely different to Gabby or Jack. Maybe Ashley O’Ryan, it’d really test me to see if I could write like Jabber, write that style of his. My writing style is creating a scene you can picture using as many words as possible, Jabber does amazing promos with much less, but still writes near on perfect promos every week with everything you need in a promo. Other than Ashley, maybe Duke Drazin. Speedy is another writer who has a unique writing style, you can always tell a Duke promo apart from any other promo so trying to write that style would be equally interesting.

8. What do you think is the defining moment of Gabrielle's FWA career?

An easier question, thanks Shakey. It’s an easy choice despite all the big moments I’ve had while writing Gabrielle. From being the first Women’s Champion, a part of the first female Tag Team Champions, the various Stables, Sinful Sensuality it has to be Mile High 2010. That’s where I won the World Title with Gabby after winning it with Jack the year before at Mile High. I didn’t really expect to win that match. Recently before PWS crashed this year’s Mile High match was getting a lot of praise for how stacked it was but looking back at 2010, we had Rocky Creed, Duke Drazin, Darnell Porter, Andrew Johnson, Bullseye Johnson and Gabrielle. That was a stacked Mile High match. Four former World Champions and I got the nod. It was cool reading that match, reading Gabby get the big win. Even better from their following it up with a Elimination Chamber win and 10 month long reign as Champion. That Mile High promo is possibly my favourite Gabrielle promo ever. It was ridiculously long but everyone liked it, it never got boring or repetitive. I still remember TMX giving me big props for it as well. So yeah the Mile High win is her defining moment, it was a while between Titles and after Sinful Sensuality ended, Gabby was kind of just there until she joined the Siege and then won the Title.

9. What is your favourite moment of Gabrielle's career?

My absolute favourite moment in Gabbys career is probably when Sinful Sensuality formed. It came after Gabrielle and Jenny had feuded off and on over the Women’s Title. After Jenny vacated it she moved onto The Unholy Uprising and I split Gabrielle and Jack up. Back then G-Rich and Boudreau were Tag Team Champions but Greg was going to take a break, Instead of vacating the belts though they gave them to Cryonix who came to me with the idea of Sinful Sensuality. It was a cool segment, having Jenny given the straps then bringing out Gabby. That’s what really started the Gabby character we all know and love. Just kept pushing it from there, they become lovers and me and Chris had several conversations about promo idea’s and where to take them character wise that had our wives shaking their heads. SS really started everything for Gabrielle though, took her from the women’s division onto bigger and better things. Without that I might have retired Gabrielle a few years ago.

10. Who is your favourite FWA character, other than your own? Has Gabrielle had any sort of interaction with them? Would you like there to be more?

This is a tough one, but I have to say its between Ashley O’Ryan and Stu St.Clair. Two characters that have been fleshed out very well over the years. They’re not just wrestlers, they seem more real to that. I think a big part of that is their flaws. The temptation is of course always there to make your character perfect, but Ashly and Stu both have their demons. That just adds to the characters, fleshes them out so well. As of late Gabby has interacted with them a fair bit, and of course Jack feuded with both of them but they’re always good to work with. Stu and Ryan are two very creative people, particularly Stu, he has a great mind for storylines. I’ve always enjoyed Ryan Halls work as well, that’s a very deep character, but I’ve never really gotten to work with or feud with him so more interaction wouldn’t be a bad thing down the line. Jenny Ignito is of course another one of my all-time favourites, and as I mentioned before really helped shape the Gabrielle character. They’re the ones that really stand out over the years but the FWA has seen so many other great characters and is loaded at the moment.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Re: The person behind the character #1: ETE (Gabrielle)

This was fun.

Boobage Expert

Status

Very cool read and insightful, brings back memories but I just liked reading these responses. Good questions shake and good answers ETE.

Saddle Sally 3x FWA Womens Champion
    2013 & 2014 FWA Women Wrestler of the Year

The Semi-Published Works of iMatt

"An Affair of the Youth" feature film production journalElsa, The Great (Frozen fanfic)

Walt County

On Vacation

Status

Love it! Gabrielle <3

The Franchise

Status
      Country                    United States

Damn good read... Brings back some old memories man. My matches I had with you are still personal favorites man. Especially gabby and bapho... You're one of the best bro.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Awesome stuff. It's kind of funny how Gabrielle was originally eye candy for Severino, but has arguably surpassed him

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

She's definitely the "most fleshed out" of your characters alright.

Awesome interview from both sides. Great insightful answers Jacob and I would LOVE a Gabrielle/Hall storyline sometime soon. Hopefully sooner rather than later. She's definitely on my bucket list for Hall's career.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Awesome stuff. It's kind of funny how Gabrielle was originally eye candy for Severino, but has arguably surpassed him
    I wouldn't call it an argument. Gabrielle > Severino. Fact. And that's no slight to Severino, a HOFer. Gabrielle is top 10.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I think its safe to say Gabs has outshone Jack. Jack was really just one great year (2009) Been more consistent with Gabrielle. Glad everyone liked this!

Quote Originally Posted by ShauntotheMaxx View Post
    Damn good read... Brings back some old memories man. My matches I had with you are still personal favorites man. Especially gabby and bapho... You're one of the best bro.
    Thanks Maxxy, that match was an instant classic!
    Last edited by ETE; 11-12-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Thanks for the feedback regarding the interviews. Hopefully get more up in future. Thanks to ETE for taking the time out to do this as it probably took much longer than we expected (I had PMed him the questions on PWS originally and it went down on the same day, i think). Hopefully I can keep this going a while, would be cool to hear alot more about the FWA from every viewpoint. Hopefully it can stir up discussion.

This was an interesting one for me as I feel I arrived into the FWA just after Gabby became a star and so Gabby has always been a character for me to aspire from and so on. Hopefully you all either learned something about ETE and Gabby or it brought you back some special memories of the FWA.

Thread Information