Thread: Fight Night 11/15/2013 Promo Discussion

formerly TE
    The One True King

Status

Fight Night 11/15/2013 Promo Discussion

Do your thing. Please don't ask for a review unless you are willing to put out a review yourself.

_____

I will review everyone this week because I appreciate everyone who put up with all the headaches and came over and stayed with us through this transition.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: Fight Night 11/15/2013 Promo Discussion

Wolf: Another fantastic rp brother! The opening was very well detailed and made you really feel like you were there. You then went into the meat of the rp in my opinion, the promo, and you cut a fantastic one. I liked the passion that Wolf showed and his desire to get back on top. It just flowed so well and really hypes everything up for a hopeful future match. I liked how he mentioned no Syndicate and how Quinn will just fade away after Wolf maims him of course. A fantastic promo and a great start to a new era.

The Franchise

Status
      Country                    United States

Drew - Very nice promo... Love the intensity man. Absolutely brilliant in that regard man. My real only critique would be your presentation could use a little more tweaking. You definitely have the verbage to set a scene and tell a story. Play with your visual delivery a bit man.

Wolf - Goddammit Wolf, you're so much better than the last time I was really active in the FWA. Love it man. The hunt is on...

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Thanks for the feedback Shaun, much appreciated.

The Franchise

Status

No problem man. Mines up as well. Dieing to hear some feedback on it.

Hifo - Dude... What a brilliant promo... The psychology is perfect. The history... the unhinged state of Shane McLean... Reason, purpose... It's all top notch... There's really not much more I can say beyond that... Can't wait to see Hall's side of it... And the match.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'm getting ready to review yours and Hifo's as well.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

I am the best guy for giving reviews, but here you go.

Drew Stevenson- I like the way you start your promo with that one liner and then you go into the description of the surroundings. It is your signature and I always throw it extra points fo things like this when I grade. I like how you put Drew over as the best PURE wrestler that is exactlly how I see him and this mindset you have going with X title is great. It works like a charm with Drews personality I would definitelly like to see the story unfold. I think that you should have taken the turn to the press conference sooner and say most of the things you had to say on there. This way it looked like you were finishing your promo, but you didnt wanted to finish it so you took a turn to press conference. In close matches a good flow is what decides the winner for me. But apart from that it was pretty good promo.

Jethro Warren-Very strong first promo. I loved the whole music is fickle theme and your presentation of it. I just don't really know if I should pay attention to the character. He has potentional for greatness flowing out of his syllables but your past track record is similiar to your opponents/ no offence. You did more than a usual one liner in your promo which is really appreciated. I just hope you stay around this time.

Shane McLean- I have already graded this match and you beat Halll when in came to setting for me. The way you presented Shane in alot of pain poppping pills just to get through the day is awesome. I love to do these things with face characters myself. It gives that Mickey Rourke feeling to th promo. However, I wasn't a fan of the way you presented your history with Hall. 1. I don't like it when characters focus too much on the past and they ignore the present 2. I was expecting something more creative from you like for example Shane reading this as a fairy tail to Oliver Twist in orphanage with his own ending of him beating Hall and then he walks out praying that he wasn't lying about the ending or something like that. The last paragraph was very strong.

Christian Quinn- I am happy because I was not holding back as you were saying in your promo. There was no underestimation from me and thank god for that, because this one was a slobber knocker. The concept of your promo would suit more a face character. I felt that heelish tactics were forced into this however I liked how you described his arrogance. It was pretty good. I loved the line "you are bwing thrown back to the wolves" great choice of words.

Ryan Hall- I didn't like that you spent so much time selling JDs trolling in the news section. The promo felt more about him than Shane starting with the scene going forward talking about Kennedy jumping ship while spoiler alert we both know he is going to appear on Fight Night. On the other hand I liked it when you tried to rebuild Hall as the dominant puppet master pulling the strings over Kennedy, because once Hall joined Kennedy in my eyes Hall fell long way down the barel. I also liked the comparison to little fishes. I think that the theme of your promo came way too soon. I know what were you reffering to and the survival theme, but it would have been better if you did this promo two Fight Nights later.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Drew Stevenson – I felt you did a good job at setting your characters wrestling style apart from your opponent and the use of bolds at certain words seemed to strengthen the emphasis of what Drew was saying. There was no lack of cockiness or confidence in him and that was played quite well.

Wolf – I believe you have given me my second favourite “when life gives you lemons” quote next to Cave Johnson's “I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down*- with the lemons!” rant.
    Wolf here is nothing short of vicious. But it's a cold calculating vicious, not a blind rabid aggression. It's nice to see that instead of lamenting not winning the belt, or going right for Hall he makes it clear he is going to destroy every rung of that ladder supporting Hall. It's smart, and I've always thought of Wolf as one of those guys who had at least something of a plan (usually to maim and injure )
    But he shows a patience I don't think every FWA character would considering the situation.

Jethro Warren – First off, good to see you back Maxx. You were in sort of a unique situation here. You have a new character but a familiarity with the companies history, and familiarity with James Sync. Something that a rookie would not have. And you used that to make a pretty good introductory piece for Warren.

Shane McLean- You take more then one page from the book of Ashley (Or maybe I take a page from the book of McLean? Who can keep track) but I love ya for it. I've made it known I love characters with flaws and issues and you show that Shane has his. It adds to the depth of the character. Promoing against TE is never a small feat, but I do feel you held your own here. It was mentioned that you did spend a lot of time talking about the past, but I felt this wasn't the worst sin you could commit in this promo. That said, the amount of time looking forward that Shane does do shows the emotional impact everything including the history with Hall has on him.

Shannon O' Neil – I enjoyed the way you used the FWA “network situation” to your advantage in the beginning. The uncertainty of hers whether staying is going to be worth it felt like the sort of conflict that would come up in this sort of situation (or in a sense, that did come up).
    “Winning titles means you won at this FWA stuff and that makes sense.” It's simple and yet seems to sum it up quite well

Christian Quinn – The future, prophesied way before it happens? Or the fantasys of a man oozing with ego? Time will tell.
    The setting for this either way was pretty awesome. It's nice to see that even in 15 years, he will stay in character...or that he is just that much of an a-hole (once again, time will tell)

The Franchise

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Jethro Warren – First off, good to see you back Maxx. You were in sort of a unique situation here. You have a new character but a familiarity with the companies history, and familiarity with James Sync. Something that a rookie would not have. And you used that to make a pretty good introductory piece for Warren.
    Yeah, I was trying toe that line between everything I know and everything Jethro could learn from studying (and just being a fan to begin with.) Plus, I've always personally liked Sync. Didn't just want to be a foreign alien destroying some guy (so to speak).

And Wolf, point taken.

--------------------

Ryan Hall - Love the concept of the promo man. Love how you tied it in with the current goings on. Really, the only critique I would have is dropping the scene. After this brilliant opening, you pretty much only mention it in your promo as a metaphor, and only go back when Gabby is eviscerated and eaten. The verbage is great, don't get me wrong. Just reading it... I felt you could've done more with the scene itself.

Gabrielle - Mmm... A Gabby promo, what can I say? The scene is perfect, the sensuality, the verbage... All very, very excellent. Not to mention, a Gabby/Stu feud is something I can easily recognize from even before my in-and-out period in FWA, but still can learn something from the history you put on display (pun intended). Love it. Brilliant Promo.

Stu - Love the promo man. This is definitely a match I'm excited for. Still not a huge fan of Stu as a face, on a personal level. I know he's still the same old Stu lol. Great verbage, as per usual. But again, I have to go to a argument that I had for TE... You could've done this promo, for the most part... Against a white wall, much less a Veteran's Memorial. I know what you were doing, I know the point you were trying to make. You just kinda dropped it (for the most part) after the introduction. There was so much more you could've done with the environment.

I'll get some more reviews in after work today.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Reviews coming up after I meet Maryjane and read some shit.

Feedback appreciated thus far.

Just a response to some:

Wolf: I saw your promo and I saw you weren't taking this lightly which made me try to think outside the box. Something crafty. See, i've only ever faced you with Rondo and i've been over eager in those promos but I felt like here I laid back a little bit, tried to develop Quinn's ego and individuality after what will be the Syndicate breakdown (assuming), so yeah. I think i did force some heelish stuff but writing a heel feels more difficult to me so still trying to get the hang of it.

Jabber: I don't even know the answers to those questions yet either my friend.

Wolf: As I say, I saw your promo and saw I was getting a tough match from you. We've met quite a bit recently but I feel we haven't properly had a go at each other because we usually have agreed endings to our matches for storylines (Rondo pinning Wolf in singles in order to do something Golden hadn't) or it was tag team action we would meet in. This promo made me smile because it made me realise that Wolf is a character that has influenced me recently, without me knowing. The passion and pure ferocity that you convey with Wolf is second to none IMO. You say youll tear your opponent limb from limb - and you certainly do tear them apart with your words. Outstanding work.

Jabber: Ashley's always been a 50/50 character with me tbh. Sometimes I feel like his promos are a little like a soap show. But - that's not an insult, I think you convey awesome stories but sometimes I feel like certain parts could be omitted from a promo for the sake of wrestling. Then again, i feel like that with myself at times and with others. It's not a bad thing but up against someone who does a promo that seems pure wrestling, it might seem a little lacklustre. However, this promo at the start felt a little soapy but i found it was effectively cancelled out because well, it had to be what with all the Gabby rumours etc. So it worked in your favour because it connected to the FWA World, i find you do that often too which is nice to see. Some people don't acknowledge the 'news reports' etc. As always the writing with the accent is excellent, although I feel like Ashley comes across cockney sometimes for some reason. Short dialogue from Ashley but it was such a good monologue that totally destroyed your opponents. The last few lines were amazing. Great work dude.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 11-19-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Thread Information