Thread: The Ascension.

Curtain Jerker

Status

The Ascension.

Seeing as these guys are now the NXT tag-champions thought it was worth getting some views on the team.

i personally really liked the original Ascension team of Conor O'Brian and Kenneth Cameron, great gimmick, both men seemed comfortable in their characters, they had a similar look and style, they meshed well as a team. They seemed certs for a call-up to the main roster but then Cameron went and got himself fired, O'Brian had a singles run on NXT but the gimmick just didn't seem to work as well with just one guy, just seemed a better fit for a team or even a faction.

So anyway WWE obviously realised this as well and enter Rick Victor.
    Im not sold on him yet, as I said Cameron seemed the perfect partner for O'Brian, similar size with the same intimidating look, similar in-ring style which blended well with O'Brians. Victor on the other hand is in contrast to O'Brian a bit puny and geeky looking and doesn't have such a strong power game, maybe that will work we will have to see. I'm a fan of the gimmick and hope the team succeed and get to the main roster soon.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The Ascension.

Well, I don't know if I've seen anyone say they prefer this incarnation of the Ascension more than the team of O'Brian and Cameron. Popular opinion seems to be it's not as good with Victor, which I'd agree with. Man do I ever miss the cool hand lighting up spot that used to be in his entrance. Not sure I get the point about Victor looking puny, Cameron looked just as small when he was paired with O'Brian.

That said, I'm glad they are giving Cameron's spot to someone else, because it's a gimmick that deserves it's chance on the main roster. I don't think I could ever see O'Brian being called up on his own with this because it's too close to Taker territory
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I never saw enough of the Cameron/O'Brien pairing to really form an opinion about which incarnation I prefer. I think they carry a very intimidating look. I think they are a pretty decent team, Victor and O'Brien. I don't think I'm completely sold on Rick Victor or that I am a huge mark of his, but right now, I don't think he is too bad. He's pretty solid. I liked his singles match against Corey Graves.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Okay, so here's the thing.

I love The Ascension. I've made that fact abundantly clear within the NXT Discussion Thread. Conor O'Brian has been on fire with this gimmick since it's beginning with Kenneth Cameron, and even after Cameron's firing he made it work as a singles gimmick until he found a new partner. And on a good day I can admit, under pressure, that his current partner Rick Victor is 'alright.' Not great by any means, but enthusiastic enough to fill his role as a replacement for Cameron, while still maintaining his own unique look and demeanor with the black contacts and steampunk-esque goggles.

Here's the thing: I'm irrationally afraid that if they get called up to the main roster anytime soon, they'll be very quickly lost in the shuffle. I mean, look at the Wyatts: NXT darlings, with a bigger fanbase than anyone else had on NXT. They get promoted to the main roster, and after a quick fued with Kane, they're... What? Exactly. Granted, Bray Wyatt has a match with Kofi Kingston at Battleground, but I can't help but feel that's just a throw-away match to put Bray on the card. And I fear the same thing'll happen to The Ascension: A strong debut, but after a month they'll be treading water while the invariable Undertaker comparisons are shouted by the crowd.

Give it a couple of months, let the Corporate Shenanigans stuff run it's course. Let The Shield & The Wyatts have their heel-time. Then, when there's space on the roster and ample plans for The Ascension, bring them up.

Spoiler:

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Man do I ever miss the cool hand lighting up spot that used to be in his entrance.
    I wish they'd give it to Rick, it was way too awesome to put to bed cos Cameron fucked up.

Thread Information