Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Reviews TNA in 2006

TNA Jim Reviews TNA in 2006

On the last TV taping of 2005 (Dec 13th), TNA had the bright idea of filming a special New Year's edition of iMPACT. Instead of airing on their regular time slot of Saturday night at 11 PM, they'd bump it back to (I think) 11:30 PM so that midway through the show, midnight would strike and TNA could then air the first wrestling of 2006. Say what you will about TNA and logic, but this is a clever idea I'm surprised more companies haven't thought of doing.

iMPACT
    January 1, 2006

We return to iMPACT with Christian Cage in the middle of the ring and counting down from ten. Once "Midnight" strikes, a lot of confetti falls down from the rafters and TNA's ready to officially announce the news that will change the face of wrestling in 2006. Mike Tenay reveals the newest member of the TNA roster to be the man called Sting. Cage tries to outdo Tenay by announcing the main event of Final Resolution - Monty Brown and Jeff Jarrett vs Christian Cage and Sting! This brings out Jeff Jarrett to have a verbal exchange with Cage. Both guys steal each others lines. This eventually leads to Jarrett charging into the ring and a fight breaks out. Just as Christian sets Jarrett up for the Unprettier, Monty Brown attacks him from behind. The two-on-one assault brings out Rhino for the save. That brings out AMW to help out Team Jarrett. Finally, Team 3D runs out to even the odds before we go to commercial.

In case you're wondering, the results earlier in the show were:

- Jeff Jarrett and Monty Brown def Shark Boy and Kenny King
    - Rhino def A-1
    - James Storm def AJ Styles

America's Most Wanted (c) w/Gail Kim vs The Phenomenal Angels - NWA Tag Team Titles
    The first time (I believe) that AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels teamed together in TNA. This match was set-up earlier on iMPACT when a Styles vs James Storm match broke out into a four man battle with Daniels and Chris Harris getting involved. The big question going into the match was whether Styles and Daniels could get along. In a nice little preview of their future team, not only did Styles and Daniels get along, but Daniels went out of his way to set Styles up for his big dives. Despite a good start, Daniels and Styles went on the defense with a long sequence of Daniels playing the face-in-peril. After being faces for years, AMW have settled in nicely as heels. Eventually, Daniels gets a Death Valley Driver on Storm to get the hot tag to Styles. There's an awesome sequence of spots involving all four men before there's a ref bump. Despite that, Styles manages to surprise Storm with a Styles Clash. As Styles has the cover while the ref is down, Styles is attacked from behind by Shannon Moore (Wut?!) Moore laid Styles out with a weak looking Mooregasm. That allows AMW to steal the victory. Really fun TV match, but the early 2006 Shannon Moore push was such a wacky idea. *** 1/4

It's worth mentioning during the Shannon Moore interference, there's a fan in the front row that I can't help but love. He does the classic "What?!" gesture with his hands. Then he face palms. And then because he's such a great friend, he even covers his buddy's eyes from having to see the ring. This guy clearly recognizes how poor of an idea the Shannon Moore push was. If only Dixie Carter had recognized this too.

Dixie's first blunder of 2006.

iMPACT wraps up with a music video montage of all of the major events going on as TNA begins 2006. Such events include Team Jarrett vs the TNA babyfaces, the X-Division feud of Samoa Joe vs Daniels and Styles, the forming of LAX against the James Gang, Shannon Moore's contract-free program against AJ Styles and the upcoming arrival of Sting.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Jim Reviews TNA in 2006

Excellent. Was a big fan of TNA in 06 for the most part. They went to 2 hours later that year, right?

Nah, they only went two hours in 2007. 2006 was when they made the move to Thursday nights.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Jim reviewing TNA awesome, I always though Moore's push was confusing to me too.I thought to myself in 06, Shannon Moore the Matt Hardy's Mfer from WWE lol.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Nah, they only went two hours in 2007. 2006 was when they made the move to Thursday nights.
    Ah, yes. That was it. I knew something happened that year. I think that was the episode with Christian Cage vs Rhino in a barbed wire steel cage match. My most memorable match from that year.

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Jim reviewing TNA awesome, I always though Moore's push was confusing to me too.I thought to myself in 06, Shannon Moore the Matt Hardy's Mfer from WWE lol.
    Especially since Moore didn't have a TNA contract. He worked several weeks for the company, was engaged in a program against one of their biggest babyfaces and then WWE casually swooped in and signed Moore just to have a laugh at TNA's expense.

On Vacation

Status

Especially since Moore didn't have a TNA contract. He worked several weeks for the company, was engaged in a program against one of their biggest babyfaces and then WWE casually swooped in and signed Moore just to have a laugh at TNA's expense.
    Yeah I remember that too, Moore would eventually team with the best Asian Cowboy of all time..so maybe TNA got the last laugh lol.

Moore and Yang were a good little tag team. It's one of the few times where I felt Moore found his place in a company. It was a hell of a lot better than "Bringing Punk to the X-Division" Shannon Moore.

On Vacation

Status

Yeah but to be fair the rug was pulled from out by TNA, with Moore we didn't know what could of happened with him in TNA.

iMPACT
    January 7, 2006

Team 3D vs and Buck Quartermain and Lex Lovett
    Team 3D are heading into this match as the #1 contenders to the NWA Tag Team Titles. They will change AMW at Final Resolution. For a few years, Quartermain and Lovett were TNA's main jobber tag team. With the tag title match in eight days, this is just a strong squash showing for 3D. Team 3D wasn't even in the mood to let Team Jobber get in any moves before they pinned Lovett following a 3D. SQUASH.

After the match, Brother Ray got on the mic and talked about the importance of winning the NWA Tag Team Titles. 3D would be willing to give back every other tag team title they've won just to win the NWA Tag Titles. The belts are important~!

Sonjay Dutt gives a little tribute to Sting. Dutt believes Sting is going to bring in all of his fans and it's just what TNA needs to grow even larger. HA!

"Sting's going to change the face of TNA forever!"

In the back, Shane Douglas interviews Team Jarrett. Jarrett runs down TNA's attempt at little tributes to Sting. He's willing to give Sting a fitting tribute. Scott D'Amore bursts in with some sort of document from Jackie Gayda. The contents are kept a secret, but it involves Jarrett, Canada and secrets that Jarrett doesn't want to get out.

LAX w/Konnan vs The Naturals
    The in-ring debut of LAX (Sadly just Homicide and Apollo). They just get in a fist fight with The Naturals before Konnan brings out a foreign object (Looked like it was some coins in a sock) and laid out both members of The Naturals. The three-on-two assault eventually brings out the James Gang. James Gang and LAX fight until Kip James and rammed into the ring post and Konnan lays BG James out with the SOCK OF DOOM~! Another three-on-one assault continues until Kip chases the heels away with a steel chair. ANGLE.

Chris Sabin talks about his favorite Sting moment - Starrcade 1997.

Sting/Final Resolution promo.

Jackie Gayda bursts out of Larry Zbyszko's office. More build towards some sort of secret that Gayda holds. Zbyszko is interrupted by Generation Next (Shelley, Aries and Strong). They moan about not receiving TV time and not having a match scheduled for Final Resolution. Zbyszko blows them off while agent, Jerry Lynn, tells Gen Next to get ready for their match later tonight.

Bobby Roode w/Scott D'Amore vs Ron Killings
    Truth avoids a charge and rolls Roode up for a surprise three count. SURPRISE WIN.

The entire first match.

Roode gets on the mic and tries to rile Killings up by blaming the death of 3 Live Kru on him. Meanwhile, the crowd chants "1-2-3" at Roode. Eventually, Killings is willing to wrestle Roode again.

Roode gets in a few shots before he tries to use Team Canada's hockey stick. Killings simply ducks the hockey stick shot and rolls Roode up for another surprise pin. SURPRISE WINx2.

This time, it's D'Amore getting on the mic and talking about how that win doesn't count. He goads Truth into wrestling Roode one more time.

This one is the longest match yet at nearly two minutes long. Roode gets in some offense before Killings comes back. D'Amore tries to interfere, but Truth avoids another hockey stick shot. As Killings prepares to hit D'Amore, Roode surprises Killings with a Northern Lariat for the victory. With that, the Roode/Killings feud can begin and I suspect (Without checking on Wiki) that they'll wrestle each other properly at Final Resolution. ANGLE.

AJ Styles talks about his favorite Sting moment of when Sting evolved into Crow Sting.

Shane Douglas finally gets Samoa Joe to talk about his upcoming Final Resolution match against Christopher Daniels. Joe cuts a nice promo about how he made it incapable for Daniels to hold his newborn boy thanks to the attack at Genesis. Joe's bringing a fresh towel to Final Resolution to bloody it up just like the Genesis towel.

Mike Tenay and Don West quickly run down the scheduled matches for Final Resolution:

Christian Cage and Sting vs Monty Brown and Jeff Jarrett
    AMW (c) vs Team 3D - NWA Tag Titles
    Samoa Joe (c) vs Christopher Daniels - X-Division Title
    AJ Styles vs NJPW's Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Rhino vs Abyss

Generation Next vs The Phenomenal Angels and Chris Sabin
    Holy balls, this was fun. It's non-stop action with a fast pace and a crowd that is thoroughly into every moment. Even though it's very spotty, you can't really call it a spotfest as there's a lot of purpose to the match. First off, you get yet another example of Daniels and Styles looking really good as a new tag team. Gen Next gets the chance to be put over really strong over three established mega stars of the X-Division. Meanwhile, there's a story of the match with Styles playing the face-in-peril for awhile before the hot tag. From there, uses their brains as Aries trips Daniels head first into the steel railing. That plays into Daniels' concussion angle and due to their new friendship, Styles is distracted by checking up on his new friend. Poor Sabin is left alone in the ring with Gen Next two-one-one. Shelley manages to score the huge upset following the Sliced Bread #2. This should have been the future of TNA because this kicked some serious ass. Gen Next are now stars. *** 1/2

Gen Next: TNA's too short amazing faction

Christian Cage gives his thoughts on Sting's arrive. He merely provides the company line of Sting bringing TNA to greater heights.

For this final segment, I could describe it, but I can't do it justice. Instead, I'll just provide a video to one of the more hilarious segments I can remember seeing in TNA.

Tis was awesome, amirite?

On Vacation

Status

Generation Next vs The Phenomenal Angels and Chris Sabin
    Holy balls, this was fun. It's non-stop action with a fast pace and a crowd that is thoroughly into every moment. Even though it's very spotty, you can't really call it a spotfest as there's a lot of purpose to the match. First off, you get yet another example of Daniels and Styles looking really good as a new tag team. Gen Next gets the chance to be put over really strong over three established mega stars of the X-Division. Meanwhile, there's a story of the match with Styles playing the face-in-peril for awhile before the hot tag. From there, uses their brains as Aries trips Daniels head first into the steel railing. That plays into Daniels' concussion angle and due to their new friendship, Styles is distracted by checking up on his new friend. Poor Sabin is left alone in the ring with Gen Next two-one-one. Shelley manages to score the huge upset following the Sliced Bread #2. This should have been the future of TNA because this kicked some serious ass. Gen Next are now stars. *** 1/2

Gen Next: TNA's too short amazing faction
    I remember that six man tag, one of many times over the years I nearly choked on food being in awe of watching Wrestling.Keep doing this please Jim, your motivating me to restart up my Eddie Guerrero thread.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-27-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Yeah, I forgot how amazing that promo was. Monty Brown knocked it out of the park.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

iMPACT
    January 14, 2006

Abyss w/James Mitchell vs Jay Lethal
    A short dominant squash as Abyss heads into Final Resolution to wrestle Rhino. Even though this was only Lethal's second match in TNA, both were squashes against monsters, he's surprisingly over with the crowd. I suppose that's part of the advantage of having so many of the TNA fans also being smarks. Then again, Full Impact Pro runs shows around the Orlando area too. Lethal's awesome as the jobber that just gets thrown around. Abyss picks up the win after a two revolution spin of a Black Hole Slam. SQUASH.

A bunch of stupid fans discuss their favorite Sting moves.

We're shown a video package revealing the winners of the 2005 awards as voted by the fans of the company on TNAwrestling.com. The results are:

Knockout of the Year: Jackie Gayda
    Finisher of the Year: Petey Williams' Canadian Destroyer
    Who to Watch in 2006: Christian Cage
    Tag Team of the Year: Team 3D
    Memorable Moment of the Year: Christian Cage's debut at Genesis
    X-Division Star of the Year: AJ Styles
    Feud of the Year: AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels
    Match of the Year: Sabu vs Abyss - Barbed Wire Massacre - Turning Point

In the ring, Mike Tenay reveals the winner of the MVP of the Year. And the winner is AJ Styles. While Styles comes out and accepts the award, the fans chant "Joe got robbed". Shannon Moore ran out from the crowd and threw cocaine in the face of Styles. He then steals AJ's MVP award and runs to the back. Once Styles clears his eyes, he chases after Moore. Okay, so it was probably just powder that Moore threw in the face of Styles, but isn't cocaine a little more funny?

But seriously, who voted on these awards?! The winners are terrible, terrible choices. Which brings me to...

Jim's 2005 TNA Awards

Knockout of the Year: Traci Brooks
    Finisher of the Year: Monty Brown's Pounce
    Who to Watch in 2006: Generation Next
    Tag Team of the Year: AMW
    Memorable Moment of the Year: Raven winning the NWA Title
    X-Division Star of the Year: Christopher Daniels
    Feud of the Year: Samoa Joe vs X-Division
    Match of the Year: AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe - Turning Point
    MVP of the Year: Samoa Joe

Anyways, back to the show!

Video package shown for AJ Styles vs Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Music video is shown detailing LAX's feud with the James Gang, the injury to Bullet Bob Armstrong and his eventual surgery.

In the back, Shane Douglas interviews The James Gang. BG James cuts a passionate promo, but I had to burst out in laughter when he uttered the line of "Konnan, that was MY daddy!"

Samoa Joe vs Cassidy Riley
    With Christopher Daniels commentating, this is just a means to plug the upcoming X-Division Title match between Joe and Daniels at Final Resolution. During the squash, Shannon Moore (Still holding AJ Styles' award) runs out, being chased by Styles. When Moore rolls into the ring, poor AJ is knocked on his ass by Joe. AJ surprises Joe with a Pele kick behind the ref's back to try and trick the fans into thinking Riley could do the unthinkable and end the undefeated streak. When Riley covered Joe, not a single fan bought into the possibility that he'd win. The AJ interference proved to only piss Joe off and he went on to KILL Riley with a series of kicks before finishing Riley off with a Muscle Buster and Coquina Clutch to score the squash victory. SQUASH.

After the match, Joe went out to grab a chair to attempt to hit the Muscle Buster on a chair. Hilariously, Daniels spends a long time just yelling at Joe not to do it before he finally gets into the ring and jumps Joe. Thanks to the chair, Daniels gets in a few good shots to send Joe packing.

Stupid fans talk about Sting.

Shane Douglas interviews Jackie Gayda about her secret. Jackie's very bitchy in talking about how it's an issue between Jeff and herself and how the document she gave Scott D'Amore also included her demands if they want her to keep her secret. D'Amore shows up and tries to convince Jackie to work together. Jackie refuses unless all of her demands were met. In another wacky moment, Shannon Moore runs by before AJ Styles catches up with him to land a couple of punches. But seriously, the stuff between Jackie Gayda and Jeff Jarrett makes it sound like Jarrett and D'Amore have some sort of underage sex slave club in Canada or something.

Jackie Gayda + Super Duper Secrets = Future of Wrestling Changing Forever

Team Canada vs Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt and Matt Bentley w/Traci
    Eric Young, Petey Williams and A-1 represent Team Canada. Every time I see a Bentley entrance, I will forever think of NJPW's Yujiro. You really can't go wrong with a Team Canada match, although this is a huge drop off for Sabin's last six man tag. In the middle of the match, Alex Shelley came out and began recording the bout with his Shelley Cam. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a copy of the show from the production staff? There's a lot of energy in the match though and at least in the context of a Team Canada tag match, A-1 is really entertaining. With Sabin and Petey in the ring, Sabin is tripped up by Shelley and Petey hits one of the fastest and most natural looking Canadian Destroyers I've seen. When it's done in that manner, the move doesn't look contrived at all. ** 1/4

Raven music video where he talks about his worst moment in TNA (Being shaved by James Mitchell) and his best moment (Winning the NWA World Title). At Final Resolution, his career could come to an end where he will wrestle a mystery opponent. If Raven wins, he'll receive an NWA Title shot, but if Raven loses, he's gone from NWA.

In a taped segment, Jeff Jarrett and Monty Brown run down all of the major babyfaces.

America's Most Wanted w/Gail Kim vs Christian Cage and Rhino
    TNA has been on a roll with these main event tag team matches. Each one has been given a good amount of time with the regular formula of some babyface shine, face-in-peril and a big hot tag. AMW is great in their aggressive cheating manner. Early on, they worked over the arm/shoulder of Rhino while Christian gets slammed into the steel railing and Gail Kim interfering a lot. The ending is a little overbooked with Gail Kim getting into the ring and Team 3D running out to help the babyfaces, but it does progress the AMW/3D program. Team 3D looked to be setting up the 3D on Storm, but instead they just step out of the way so Storm runs into a Gore by Rhino. Christian gets the pin on Storm after a Frog Splash. Heel AMW has done a hell of a job at freshening them up. ***

After the match, Jeff Jarrett, Monty Brown and Abyss ran out to attack the babyfaces. Eventually, Cage ends up alone with Jarrett and Brown. Christian nearly made his own save until Brown nailed him with a Pounce. Jarrett then blasted a guitar over the head of Cage. The lights then go out and Sting goes on the house mic, toying with Jarrett and Brown. It's really goofy shit with Sting making Monty and Jarrett look in the rafters and around the ring to see if he's there. Chances are that the Sting voice over was just a pre-tape so you gotta tune in to Final Resolution to actually see the Stinger.

iMPACT wraps up with a music video detailing all of the programs going on while also showing the match cards for Final Resolution.
    ----

What a wacky episode.

Main Eventer

Status

Man, I had a huge crush on Jackie when she was in TNA. I don't know why then all of a sudden and not when she was in the WWE during her last year but whatevs. I'll have to search these episodes out. Really wanna check these out now that you're reviewing them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Man, I had a huge crush on Jackie when she was in TNA. I don't know why then all of a sudden and not when she was in the WWE during her last year but whatevs. I'll have to search these episodes out. Really wanna check these out now that you're reviewing them.
    Jackie was indeed pretty hot. Too bad she had this terrible angle coming into TNA.

I'm really enjoying watching these iMPACTs. I'm a sucker for one hour wrestling shows. They go by pretty quickly without dragging on. The roster is pretty killer at this moment, so you're guaranteed to get one really good TV match a week. You might as well enjoy the show while you can as Vince Russo returns to the company late in the year. From then on, TNA is pretty damn awful.

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah I imagine an hour of this TNA is easier to review than 3 hours of shitty 2002 TNA!

From memory the Jackie stuff is really crap and they spend months trying to get her to join Planet Jarrett, and when she does, they fire her for being pregnant

If you make it into April, you'll hit the World X Cup featuring Liger, Goto and your favourite hooligan.

On Vacation

Status

Ah Shelley Cam good times, I always loved when he came out the set up.I always thought was he checking out the Wrestlers and their skills, or just checking out the Wrestlers for his enjoyment later.I'm trying to remember the start of Paparazzi with Nash, man talk about crazy interviews, those two were gold with each other.Bob Backlund authorized!!

WAKE UP

Status

What does it say about TNA that this was 2006 and there in full-on Sting masterbation mode, and that they still do it?

Also, AMW were hands down one of the best tag teams of the decade, and the heel run only fuelds that arguement. They were great as part of Jarrett's faction.

God

Status

Was Roode loosing to Killings really an upset? At the time Roode was still seen as a lower card guy while Killings was a former world champion. Obviously it would be now, but back then? Petey was always presented as the star of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by HoHo Uchiha View Post
    Ah Shelley Cam good times, I always loved when he came out the set up.I always thought was he checking out the Wrestlers and their skills, or just checking out the Wrestlers for his enjoyment later.I'm trying to remember the start of Paparazzi with Nash, man talk about crazy interviews, those two were gold with each other.Bob Backlund authorized!!
    Samolian Joe
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Was Roode loosing to Killings really an upset? At the time Roode was still seen as a lower card guy while Killings was a former world champion. Obviously it would be now, but back then? Petey was always presented as the star of the group.

Samolian Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information