Thread: Alex Riley commentating on Smackdown

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Alex Riley commentating on Smackdown

From what I have heard he has been filling the same role on Superstars, but I have never seen him in that role

As far as tonights edition of Smackdown goes
    I thought he did a pretty good job

I liked his references to how he came up through NXT with Fandango.

Although I think he is far to young to be relegated to being a commentator

Thoughts ?

Chikara Trainee

Status

Re: Alex Riley commentating on Smackdown

I don't think he's being "relegated" to being a commentator. Just because Riley is commentating doesn't mean his in-ring career is over. Look at Miz. Miz does commentary for Main Event and still wrestles. Riley is still wrestling at house shows. He worked some SmackDown house shows in Georgia last weekend.

I think WWE just wants to keep him on TV and in the fans minds in some capacity until they have something for him later. I think the commentary gig will eventually transition Riley to an in-ring feud down the line. I can easily see a scenario where a face is getting beaten up in the ring and Riley gets up from the booth to make the save. Or a heel walks up to the announce table and tries to antagonize the commentators only for Riley to fight him off.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

He did an amazing job in my opinion. But JBL will be back next week. He only filled in because JBL was climbing a mountain.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I usually block out commentary, but he sounded a bit similar to Scott Stanford. I didn't think he was that bad with references to his wrestling career and such. They may be setting up a feud for him like someone else said. I mean he randomly appeared with Brad Maddox on Raw so maybe they are setting something up. I like the way WWE puts guys on commentary though, that way they know if they have a career after they are done wrestling.

Best In The World!!

Status
      Country                    England

Well not being harsh but I don't see Alex Riley as much of an in ring talent that would have great matches and be a singles champion. That's just my opinion but I could see a future as a tag champion, not sure who with but I wouldn't say his in ring future is over just yet. I did watch Smackdown and I wasn't too over with his commentary but he did a job and that's where they're going with him right now.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I think he's doing a great job as a commentator. However, I seriously hope that this doesn't signal the end of his in-ring WWE career. Alex Riley has so much untapped potential, it's unbelievable. I find it staggering that he's ben relegated to this role to be honest.

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status

I liked him initially on NXT, now I'm convinced the only reason I liked him was because he was a step up from the woeful Brad Maddox.

idk about anyone else, but he was really annoying on NXT this week. He can not shut the fuck up about himself, it's like he's trying to remind us all that he had one of those wrestling careers once.

Say My Name

Status

I really like Riley on commentary and enjoyed his stuff with Mathews on Main Event for the past two weeks to be honest. I hope they use him on commentary as a way of starting a feud with someone eventually though.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

3rd Degree WC HallofFamer

Status

he mentions his time with the Miz like 8 times a show...it's pretty annoying...he also repeats himself to much..

Spoiler:

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Bad News Booty View Post
    he mentions his time with the Miz like 8 times a show...it's pretty annoying...he also repeats himself to much..
    Blame WWE for that. His program with the Miz was the only meaningful thing he's done, so this is what we're stuck with. Give him something else to do so he has something else to talk about.

Dat Boi

Status

Or he could just call matches without relating everything back to "this reminds me of when me and the Miz..."

Chikara Trainee

Status

Riley should be a wrestler first and a commentator second. If he's announcing on Superstars and Main Event (which should only to fill in for the Miz when he isn't available), then there's plenty of time for him to change out of his suit and into his gear to have a short filler match on RAW or SmackDown, even if he's just going to be used as a jobber.

Quote Originally Posted by OrderDX View Post
    I really like Riley on commentary and enjoyed his stuff with Mathews on Main Event for the past two weeks to be honest. I hope they use him on commentary as a way of starting a feud with someone eventually though.
    I agree. I could totally see him getting up from the announce table and trying to make the save for some other unfortunate face.

Or I could see some heel trying to antagonize Riley only for him to fight back.

Or Riley should be part of the Corporation/Bryan feud. Like make it like Riley wants to get in on the action but The Corporation is forcing him to sit on the sidelines (maybe have Riley do most of his interactions with the GMs rather than HHH and Steph directly) and do commentary.
    Last edited by Platinumdust; 09-24-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

All I can say is he'd make for a great backstage interviewer. Heel or face.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

He has been slowly improving as a commentator. I recall the past couple of episodes of NXT that he's been on, he's done a good job.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Chikara Trainee

Status

The one problem I have with Riley is that as a color commentator, his job is to speak from a wrestler's perspective. Because WWE won't properly utilize him, he has very limited in-ring experience to draw insight from.

If WWE insists on using Riley as an announcer, it would be best to let him continue to focus on his in-ring career, in order to gain experience, so that he has that wisdom to bring to the announce table in the future.

WWE should try to balance booking Riley as a wrestler with his commentator role. Maybe have Riley announcing exclusively on NXT (and Main Event when Miz is unevailable or booked to compete) so that he is free to compete on Superstars. Or let him have a short 2-3 minute filler match in the later half of RAW and SmackDown, where he has plenty of time after the C-show tapings to change out of his suit and into his tights.

Thread Information