Thread: Where Does Ryback Go From Here?

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Where Does Ryback Go From Here?

So at Payback we saw Ryback lose his 8th PPV in a row. After being thrown into the deep end in October we have seen the guy get screwed out of the title by not only Brad Maddox, but also the shield on numerous occasions, We have then gone on to see him lose to the Shield on two separate occasions, Lose his first ever Wrestlemania match against Mark Henry and finish 2nd best to Cena in the Royal Rumble before going on to have two more World title matches and not winning either one. With all of that I think it's more than safe to say that any momentum the guy had last Summer is well and truly gone. He just no longer feels like the beast that would scare you as you walk out into the ring, but more of a choker when the big occasions arrive.

So with that I ask you. Where do you see Ryback going from here or what would you like to see him do from this point on? Should he still be around the upper mid card scene? Or will a run in the midcard be enough to build him up again? Would giving him a MITB contract be a wise thing to do or Hell do you even think he should possibly go away for a little while and come back repackaged?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Where Does Ryback Go From Here?

Ryback simply needs to start winning. He doesn't really fit in either title picture at the moment and he's probably just going to be floundering for a while. Give him some decent wins against big name opponents: Sheamus and Jericho are two good examples of people who aren't doing too much and could be used to put Ryback over. The problem is that I fear Ryback is just going to be having fairly inconsequential feuds from now on.

I have said it before, but WWE's booking of Ryback over the past six months has been atrocious at every turn and if he is truly moving away from Cena and the title then his heel turn is even more bizarre than it was at the time.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

Status
      Country                    England

They killed him when they fed him to Cena too soon, said it the moment they turned him. He's now lost every ppv match for a year so why would anyone take him seriously.

Will take him a while to get back to the level he was at when the year started and I thought he had a legit chance at the Rumble. Have him win some feuds against Big Show or Sheamus or Jericho and build him back up slowly.

Established Veteran

Status

Someone else said it in another thread and I think looking at it now they couldn't have been more right, but it was said that Ryback was simply put in the position he was to be fed to Cena and it was nothing but the same cycle repeated. Build up someone to look like a monster heel, then put Cena over to further elevate him and his resume.

With Ryback, this is a situation where I wish the brands were more exclusive and separate because the easy answer would be "Send him to SmackDown!" and that would be fine. He could go there, be apart of THAT main event scene, and the damage that's been done could be remedied a bit leading to a title run there. Unfortunately that's not the case these days so we're left pondering.

I don't know if Ryback ever truly recovers from here. Sheamus went through something like this and got back to the top, but look where he is now. I mean, this guy might as well be Skip Sheffield again at this point. I think Ed is right that you just have to slowly build him back up, but are they going to put the horse back on the broken cart? I don't know about that.

I think it's really unfortunate because if they did it right, Ryback could be their new Batista or something to that effect. No, he doesn't have the same tools Batista did, but he wasn't given the type of pedigree Batista was either. I think a solid run at the mid-card level with a title would benefit him greatly. He could hold the U.S. or I.C. title and defend it dominantly for a while and that would greatly help to rebuild his image. If they don't do at least that, I think the Ryback experiment is failed.
    Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Personally, if they want to salvage anything from this entire farce I say send him home for a couple of months. Have him return at SummerSlam or Survivor Series and lay waste to everything. Maybe have Bray Wyatt "manage" him, like he does the Family and re-focus him. Make him into a pure wrecking ball, and have him work his way up from the bottom again, only faster this time.

Simply The Greatest

Status

Either win MITB or stay off for a while. Him walking around with the briefcase comes across like a real threat. Or stay at home and return with momentum and actually start to win.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I dig the idea Raiz is presenting, like always. It would really get the Bray Wyatt cult status up to a tee quickly if they were to capture Ryback into their stable. Bray could try to recruit him, say that he will be treated to success in the Wyatt Family, Ryback initially refuses because of his pride, then Eric Rowan and Luke Harper attack him and take him to Bray and he is brainwashed or you can have Bray play mind games on him to the point that he cannot take it anymore and joins the stable.

If that idea wasn't presented to WWE, then well, I think that he should be built up slowly, like he was supposed to be doing back when he debuted. Just slowly build him up, plowing through the enhancement talent, then the openers, the lower mid card, the mid card, the upper mid card and then, maybe he wins the Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank and looks actually credible heading back into the main event scene if he ever makes it to that point again.

I honestly think there's some intrigue if they were to say Ryback is a choker at the main event level title picture, that's the reason why he hasn't won the WWE title, yet has been given countless of tries. It would be a weakness to a pure wrecking ball character, who has been undefeated until he was placed into a WWE title match. It would make the character a little more dimensional, which it really needs and it would be something for him to overcome. I'm not sure how it would work as a heel, but as a face, it may be money for him to go through that adventure of finally overcoming his fears of the main event.

I am the Outlaw

Status

It's a shame because I really thought they had something with him last year when he was going through everybody. I thought if they booked him well he could have become one of the top guys very quickly. When they gave him title shots and had him constantly lose out thanks to Maddox and The Shield I thought they were going somewhere with it and there was going to be a great payoff which would make him one of the stars. Even when they turned him heel, I backed the decision, as I thought he had a good enough reason to turn and if that's what it took for him to win the title I was down with it. However, I would agree that having him lose to Cena (after the first match was a no contest) has destroyed his momentum.

However, I don't think he is buried permanently. Too often people write off the idea of somebody being credible again too soon. Imagine what people must have thought when Triple H jobbed to Warrior in such comical fashion at Wrestlemania. Ryback could easily become a big star still but they need to book him very carefully. He should either stay gone a while or be given some big wins very quickly to restore his credibility, because as said, he has been made to look like a big match choker of late.

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    Personally, if they want to salvage anything from this entire farce I say send him home for a couple of months. Have him return at SummerSlam or Survivor Series and lay waste to everything. Maybe have Bray Wyatt "manage" him, like he does the Family and re-focus him. Make him into a pure wrecking ball, and have him work his way up from the bottom again, only faster this time.
    Honestly I kinda like the idea of Ryback working with Wyatt. I could see Ryback as maybe an enforcer for the group or something that Wyatt decided to take under his wing and turn him back into the beast he once was. At least it means that the guy stays away from the mic while being able to build up some momentum again. Guess the key for the WWE right now has to be to build him up slowly. If they was to do something like this though, I reckon he needs to be gone for a good few months and not just out for the next PPV, Having him possbily come back at the end of the year when the Wyatt family are settled into the main roster and build it from there would be the best possible solution.

Dat Boi

Status
      Country                    United States

You know how WWE eventually turned Kane into "he loses all the time, but he's a threat because shut up"? They did that to Ryback in LESS THAN A YEAR. Fuck.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Just send him into the midcard divisions. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Just let him hold the Intercontinental Title and let him dominate against all comers. He has enough notoriety that the belt will look important just by him having it.

I don't want Ryback to get put in that limbo where he's not good enough to hold the title, but he's "too good for midcard" now so he runs over all the real midcarders and makes them look like jobbers in a farcical attempt to pretend he's still a big time player even though they're never gonna pull the trigger on him.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

A positive idea would be to put him into the upper mid card scene, like where Orton is ATM.
    Maybe a Ryback vs. Rob Van Dam feud? I don't know but if anything he should not be in the WWE Championship picture.
    Maybe he could be inserted into the World Heavyweight Championship picture after Money in the Bank.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I liked Ryback as the wrecking ball babyface who smashed through his opponents who all seemed scared to death of getting in the ring with him, he was over with the ''feed me more'' chants so I'm not really sure why WWE ruined it all with a rushed and senseless heel turn, to me it seemed the only valid reason for the change was so John Cena had new opponent after his programme with The Rock ended and WWE obviously didn't want another face vs face series.

Trouble is as well as the premature heel turn the losses to Cena just served to kill even more of Rybacks momentum. I do also wonder of WWE had concerns about the constant Goldberg chants and thought maybe better to turn him heel and use the fan reaction rather than try and work against it.

Now he's alligned with Heyman hopefully he can be rebuilt as a wrecking machine this time as a heel in the Brock Lesnar mold, longterm if he gets over in the heel role it's inevitable that he will split from Heyman and turn face again and probably feud with Brock, but that is quite probably a long way off.

Thread Information