Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir Alex Ferguson Retires

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Sir Alex Ferguson Retires

I highly doubt this is true but as Ed said there's strong rumours

As rumours of the 71-year-old’s imminent retirement swept Manchester, senior figures at the club failed to respond to repeated attempts to confirm or deny the story, which emerged following United’s player versus coaches golf day at Dunham Massey on Tuesday afternoon.

With United now forced to adhere to the strict rules and regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August’s partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements.

As of Tuesday night, no statement over Ferguson’s future had been issued by United.

However, with sources close to the players confirming that the squad’s golf day had been overshadowed by suggestions that the Scot would be making an announcement ahead of Sunday’s clash with Swansea at Old Trafford, any ongoing uncertainty is unlikely to be allowed to continue to the point where it would affect the confidence of investors and, in turn, United’s New York share price.

When United’s owners, the Glazer family, issued its prospectus for the club’s £500m bond issue in January 2010, the prospect of Ferguson leaving the club and potentially jeopardising future success was raised by the Americans as one of the risk factors attached to investing in the club. #

Ferguson had appeared to brush aside the prospect of standing down this summer when he insisted in his programme notes prior to Sunday’s Old Trafford defeat against Chelsea that, "I certainly don’t have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special".
    Ferguson said: "This team of champions is not going away - we are here for the long ride.

"We will get better and if we apply ourselves in our normal fashion, I see our 20th league title as nothing but the start of another decade of success.
    “Whether I will be here to oversee another decade of success remains to be seen, but I certainly don't have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special and worth being around to see.”

However, having always cited his health as the primary factor in any decision to retire, the club’s confirmation on Friday evening that Ferguson – who had a heart pacemaker fitted in 2004 – would undergo hip surgery in August, two weeks before the start of the new season, raised fresh doubt over his determination to continue in the post.

With large amounts of money wagered on Tuesday morning on Everton manager David Moyes leaving Goodison Park for Old Trafford this summer, bookmakers dramatically cut the odds on the 50-year-old due to intelligence that bets had been placed on the basis of strong information.

Jose Mourinho, the Real Madrid coach, is likely to become available this summer, with some figures within the club pointing towards Ryan Giggs being promoted to take a senior role on the coaching staff when Ferguson leaves.

David Gill’s decision to stand down as chief executive in the summer, to be replaced by Ed Woodward, will see Ferguson lose a man he has grown to trust and respect during their working relationship.

But with Gill not due to depart his role until June 30, any search for a new manager should Ferguson retire would involve Gill, Woodward and United’s Florida-based owners, the Glazer family.

Ferguson has repeatedly dampened down retirement speculation ever since he performed an about-turn on plans to walk away from United at the end of the 2001-02 season.

He has since admitted that his decision to go public with his intentions was an ‘absolute disaster,’ and vowed that he would not make a similar mistake when he chooses to leave the club, having arrived as successor to Ron Atkinson in November 1986.

Whether Ferguson would remain at Old Trafford in a senior capacity should he retire could present a thorny issue for any incoming manager, with Sir Matt Busby’s elevation to an ‘upstairs’ role following his retirement in 1969 ultimately proving a distraction to his initial successors.

Gill has repeatedly stated, however, that Ferguson’s opinion on a new man will be sought and that his advice will be taken by a club that has not appointed a manager for over a quarter of a century.

Ferguson’s determination to wrestle the Premier League title back from Manchester City this season, having been devastated by the loss of the crown to United’s neighbours, has been rewarded with his 13th league title as Old Trafford manager.

And although he has admitted his disappointment at failing to win more than two European Cups during his time at United, the ability to walk away from Old Trafford having restored the club’s dominance, both locally and nationally, has given Ferguson the opportunity to leave on a high.

dailytelegraph

I am the Outlaw

Status

re: Sir Alex Ferguson Retires

Strong rumours but they don't seem to be based on much at this stage.

I'm not ruling it out though. Would be crazy times if this happened.

EDIT: It's in The Guardian too now...

I've been accused of being a lot of things, inarticulate ain't one of them

MADMIN KING

Status

If he does retire, I get to go to his last ever prem game in charge. Gotta take the article with a pitch of salt at this stage, it's not like we haven't been here before with Fergie.

I'm not sure I could handle a summer of Jose to United rumours, sick of the Chelsea ones already.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Governor Tommy View Post
    Strong rumours but they don't seem to be based on much at this stage.

I'm not ruling it out though. Would be crazy times if this happened.

EDIT: It's in The Guardian too now...
    I was talking to a reporter from the Manchester Eveening News today and he was telling me that a big story about United would come out this week.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Highly doubt he'll retire after all he's said about staying on just last weekend. Never know I guess though.

And he scores goals...!

BTB Legend

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post
    I'm not sure I could handle a summer of Jose to United rumours, sick of the Chelsea ones already.
    I want Jose to take over from Ferguson if only because of what is sure to be an entertaining reaction from the more...ardent supporters of both teams.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I feel sorry for whoever has to follow him, whenever he does go.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

MADMIN KING

Status

Kenny Jackett must of been tipped off

Spoiler:

Status

Irreplaceable, obviously. Dont' really expect it to happen, but could pick a worse time to step away. Walk away as a champion... how any get to do that?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

BTB Legend

Status

He has to leave at some point, so why not do it willingly, having eased to the title with a clear gap, in both points and general talent, over the team who were their nearest rivals in every sense of the word? It's about as good a way out as you're going to get, short of an unlikely double/treble/quadruple cup and league haul.

BTB Newcomer of the Year 2012
    BTB of the Year 2012

Unofficial WCFC Mascot!

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Not going to lie, I respect him as a manager but I really cannot stand him, one thing goes wrong & its a vendetta against United *cough* no penalties conceded all season *cough* I reckon it'll probably be in two seasons, I haven't heard anything about his health but these rumours are always going to surround Fergie, wasn't it a few years back as well this was reported, he'll do a press conference laughing these paper talk rumours off & then it'll resurface again next season, I think we wants another CL trophy before he goes, I reckon it'll be health or a double or triple that makes him leave

MADMIN KING

Status

That Ed knows his rumours

Guess I should be honoured I'm seeing the legend bow out in person.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

This makes me really sad. Most people on this forum haven't known any other Man Utd manager and the Premier League without Fergie is a depressing thought.

Shock Reviews Archive

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Absolutely gutted. Felt like crying when I read the news.

At the same time the guy deserves his retirement if it's what he wants. I'm sure he'll keep very busy.

And he scores goals...!

MADMIN KING

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    This makes me really sad. Most people on this forum haven't known any other Man Utd manager and the Premier League without Fergie is a depressing thought.
    Yeah it's going to be hard to see anyone else with the title 'Manchester United Manager'.

I'd be interested to hear who the United fans want as manager, personally I'd love it to go to Moyes so he finally gets his chance to manage at the top level.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I hope it's Moyes. He'll keep things stable at Man Utd and won't try and change too much, I imagine. Plus it'll be interesting to see how he does at a bigger club with some money.

Shock Reviews Archive

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

I think it will be Moyes, timing is perfect as he is out of contract. He also promotes the youth of his squad and can be very shrewd in the transfer market. Mourinho is the other candidate but I find it hard for United to accept someone who is a three year maximum manager, which is what us Chelsea fans are resigned to getting from him.

Klopp would be another great appointment

MADMIN KING

Status

Can't believe Fergie retired before Giggs did

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

Really hope it's Moyes also. Reminds me somewhat of Fergie, long-term appointment and a good friend of SAF's so I imagine he won't have too much of a problem with him being around.

Please not Mourinho.
    Last edited by PS; 05-08-2013 at 05:55 AM.

And he scores goals...!

Unofficial WCFC Mascot!

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Just realised, Phil Neville, Scholes (again) & Owen, now Fergie all in a season, all United or ex-united, feel like im missing someone else? anyway I find it weird I will be pissed if Jose goes there but I think United want a stable Fergie like guy, hell Moyes is hated by Liverpool fans so theres not going to be a change if he goes to United, Jose is too much of a dick for United lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information