Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Kofi Kingston belong in the WWE?

Oh My Goddess

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Where does Kofi Kingston belong in the WWE?

He has been in the WWE since 2007. He is a former 4 time IC champion and the current US champion, which he is in his 3rd reign. He has been a part of the WWE's midcard since his career started, and some people feel he deserves more. Yes, he's Kofi Kingston, the high flyer from Ghana, West Africa. There has been plenty of discussions on where Kofi's place in WWE should be, and why he hasn't been given a chance in the main event. So I ask, where should Kofi's place in WWE be?

Personally, I have no problem with Kofi's position in WWE. He's the definition of a midcarder. He's a reliable worker with a good moveset that gets the crowd on their feet. I have a problem with people thinking that every WWE superstar that gets a crowd reaction should be a main eventer. There's nothing wrong with being a career midcarder IMO. There are plenty of past superstars and future hall of famers who never won a WWE Championship. Kofi has a definite place in the WWE, though it may not be as a top draw.

So I ask again, where do you think Kofi's place in the WWE should be?

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Re: Where does Kofi Kingston belong in the WWE?

I'll accept him in midcard status. Despite me not exactly being a fan of the guy, he can get the crowd pumped from time to time and the kids love him, so a midcard slot is fine for him. Main Event status is out of the question personally, unless it's multiman matches such as Elimination Chamber to fill a spot for example.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

I like Kofi. He's a nice guy, has good taste in ring gear (I especially enjoy his stormtrooper themed stuff) and t-shirt's (he was wearing a He-Man one when I met him) but I've never been a huge fan of his ringwork. He's fun and bouncy and a perfect floater in the mid-card division to go from the upper to lower mid-card and back again without any trouble, he's good in tag teams, and as a place holder in mid-card title feuds or reigns, as well as an acceptable main eventer in multi-man matches when he's needed.

I don't think he'll ever be a real contender to the WWE or World title, and I doubt he'll hold either in anything other than a transitional reign, if at all, but all that's fine because he does serve a purpose. He makes most people smile, and that's cool. I honestly don't think I'd ever want to see him turn heel, because he's just too damn likable.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I enjoy Kofi's work in the ring and like has been mentioned the Kids are behind him but to me he's a Career Mid carder nothing more nothing less you can use him in Main event matches once in a while as long as the focus isn't entirely on him. They gave him a shot at a Main event Feud a couple of years ago and Unfortunately for him he (along with Randy orton) Fumbled the Ball so keeping him in the Mid card will be good for him and he's still got some Viability in him there IMO.

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think where he is, is where he should be. RaiZ-R has some good points about Kofi, and I agree never been a big fan of him in the ring, but the crowd like him, which is more then you can say for someone like Swagger, who sucks the life out of the crowd. Any higher up the card doesn't suit him at this point as he doesn't really have much of a character (not all his fault mind you) and his mic skills aren't great either, although not horrible.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Flock U View Post
    I enjoy Kofi's work in the ring and like has been mentioned the Kids are behind him but to me he's a Career Mid carder nothing more nothing less you can use him in Main event matches once in a while as long as the focus isn't entirely on him. They gave him a shot at a Main event Feud a couple of years ago and Unfortunately for him he (along with Randy orton) Fumbled the Ball so keeping him in the Mid card will be good for him and he's still got some Viability in him there IMO.
    To be fair to Kofi on that one, he was doing well until Orton felt slighted by the way he sold an RKO spot or something equally silly and crushed the feud backstage by all accounts. It was a shame, because he was doing well as the guy who came out and saved everyone from beat downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jericho View Post
    I think where he is, is where he should be. RaiZ-R has some good points about Kofi, and I agree never been a big fan of him in the ring, but the crowd like him, which is more then you can say for someone like Swagger, who sucks the life out of the crowd. Any higher up the card doesn't suit him at this point as he doesn't really have much of a character (not all his fault mind you) and his mic skills aren't great either, although not horrible.
    His analyst schtick on the WrestleMania 29 pre-show was excellent. He's got more to him on the mic than WWE have given him the chance to show, and that much is obvious.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    To be fair to Kofi on that one, he was doing well until Orton felt slighted by the way he sold an RKO spot or something equally silly and crushed the feud backstage by all accounts. It was a shame, because he was doing well as the guy who came out and saved everyone from beat downs.

His analyst schtick on the WrestleMania 29 pre-show was excellent. He's got more to him on the mic than WWE have given him the chance to show, and that much is obvious.
    That was a Problem I agree but my personal problem with it was Kofi himself to me personally wasn't really believable in that feud like I just couldn't buy into him at that point in time. But I do agree his Mic work at WM 29 Pre Show was Very Very good if he ever retires at some point I think he may have a future as a commentator somewhere

Simply The Greatest

Status

As a jobber/lower mid-carder. He's now had TEN mid-card title reigns in five years. He just doesn't bring much to the table in terms of more than what he's doing now, but he's fine where he is.

The Saint of Suplex

Status
      Country                    xx=Not Telling, Black Flag

Needs a chance - meaning a feud with a real story to it just like all the main-eventers right not were afforded at some time or another.

I think we are so used to seeing this Kofi that we forgot that he had "it" in moments during the Orton feud in 2009 and definitely won over the MSG crowd as well. Kofi can do a lot more than what he's currently doing IMO.

Making Odd Since 1980

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Needs a chance - meaning a feud with a real story to it just like all the main-eventers right not were afforded at some time or another.

I think we are so used to seeing this Kofi that we forgot that he had "it" in moments during the Orton feud in 2009 and definitely won over the MSG crowd as well. Kofi can do a lot more than what he's currently doing IMO.
    That part is WWE's fault for almost instantly killing the momentum he gained.
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Kofi to me is just the modern day Shelton Benjamin with slightly less in ring ability. They both could be big if given the right push but a Midcard run forever is basically what they will have simply becuase they don't have the "it" factor to be anything more. Kofi can put on a half decent match, He can make a believable Midcard champ, he can get the fans pumped and can slot in as a 6th man in multi man matches or be used in MITB matches but nothing more.

WAKE UP

Status

People still talking about the couple of weeks he got pushed seriously in 2008? Jesus. I think 90% of the love for that was people liking a vanilla babyface finally being given some balls, but that kind of push could have been given to anyone.

Kofi is a mid-card for life guy. He isn't good enough in any aspect of pro wrestling to be a main eventer.

Internet Favorite

Status

It's hard to tell. From everything we have seen from him, it all points to him being a career midcarder. And the truth is there's nothing wrong with that all. Plenty of solid, good wrestlers have never been able to break through the glass ceiling. But in terms of being a more serious wrestler, that has depth or anything else that we can look at for being more of a Main Event/Upper card guy we really haven't seen much. But also he hasn't been really given a chance to show anyone what he could do. So until he ever gets that chance he's going to be a mid card guy. And like I said, I see no problem with that at all.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I still think that one day Kofi will probably get a big push again. They are so stop-start with him though. They'll care about him for a couple of weeks/months and then go back to using him as a face version of Dolph Ziggler: the guy that needs to lose every match to further show how good others around him are. He's not amazing in the ring but I've always been impressed by his mic skills when he's been given the chance to. He's indicative of a big problem with WWE: he got over and for some reason they just didn't capitalize on it. Not particularly sad about it, but it's stupid on their behalf.

I agree with Steve to an extent in that the reason people still talk about his late 2009 push is because it showed a bit of depth to his character. WWE faces generally suck ass for depth of character, so it was quite refreshing to see him do something different.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌

Status

If we went back in time about 3-4 years, he could have been a possible world title contender. Maybe not a long-term champion or anyone who could have carried the company, but at the very least a guy who could have contended in the top tier of WWE superstars, but I feel that time has come and gone for him. There's only so long you can spend in the under-card these days and still carry credibility and he pretty much has none now.

Don't get me wrong, he's a decent wrestler and has considerable appeal among younger fans with his happy-go-lucky personality, but unless you completely repackage him and maybe even turn him heel (which sounds beyond retarded just typing) I don't think there's a lot further he could go with his current gimmick.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Kofi is fine where he is, as an over midcard act. He's over, and he's decent in the ring.

However, I'm getting really sick of Kofi being the "token midcard face". I sigh whenever Kofi comes out to the ring. It's like WWE won't push him any higher than he currently is, but they put him on a pedestal compared to the rest of the midcard faces. No other Midcard face is booked anywhere near as credible or relevant as Kofi, except for Miz, and Miz doesn't count because he's a former WWE Champion and coasting off of past main event cred, and R-Truth, and he's also a guy coasting on residual heat from a past main event push.

Kofi wins the midcard titles over and over again, and no other midcard face is given an opportunity. Having Antonio Cesaro hold the U.S. belt for such a long time only for Kofi to get his 450985th midcard title reign felt like such a waste. It would've been better if the belt went to someone like Ryder, Riley, Gabriel, Santino, Brodus, or Tensai. Kofi is pretty much the status quo of the midcard and I can't really enjoy the guy because his presence keeps others from moving up.

On Vacation

Status

Well, I honestly think that Kofi will be in the midcard forever. He has good in-ring ability and can definitely entertain a crowd. He's had some great matches with Cesaro if anyone would like to check that out. It's a shame because the guy was given just ONE chance in the main event against Randy Orton. I think that if they didn't give up on him that early, he would've been a bigger star than what he is now.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I recall last time Kofi was brought up we got into a big long 4-5 page arguement about him, so this should be interesting.

I've always thought Kofi was fantastic. He's over (he was more over before the losing streak), and he's just awesome in the ring. It's rare you'd see a bad match from him. I think that if they brought back his intensity from the end of 09 he could be a main eventer and hold the World Heavyweight Championship at best. Kofi's character does have a ceiling, so if he turns heel I think a heel Kofi Kingston as like the sidekick to Punk could be great for Kofi's career.

Curtain Jerker

Status

idk honestly i could never picture him main eventing unless he turned heel or something.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

I'm trying to imagine a heel Kofi and it just isn't happening in my brain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information